Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 Cox_ba12

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Rivets OWNERS FLIGHT MANUAL
by howardhb Today at 1:51 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by rdw777 Today at 12:05 pm

» some pics....
by rdw777 Today at 11:48 am

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by balogh Today at 8:40 am

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:30 am

» WILLY NILLY
by MANDALAY Yesterday at 7:28 pm

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:54 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Thrust Washer
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 8:25 am

» Peewee power
by Coxfledgling Yesterday at 3:46 am

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:51 pm

» Ode to a dead cat
by GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:11 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 Empty
Live on Patrol

Jim Walker Bonanza etc.

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 Empty Re: Jim Walker Bonanza etc.

Post  TD ABUSER Sat Sep 07, 2024 4:02 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
TD ABUSER wrote:She looks great..!
The suspense of waiting to see it fly is unbearable..... Smile
What does it need for wing tip weight...?

I hadn't thought of it.  Dacron lines look to be short.  I'm looking for just an uninterupted circle to make me happy.  What it needs is nose weight, lead from a .22 cartridge ought to do it.  Fresh paint needs a week or two to settle, but my every intention is to give it a try, that and the natural Bonanza too.  First thing to leave the model will be the wheel pants.  Expendable.  

Many years ago I saw a control line plane with wing dihedral fly and from what I recall it did pretty good. Lots of dihedral the 2 channel RC planes use to make the rudder more effective tend to dance around from side to side a little bit like a tight rope walker maintaining an even keel on a wire.
Balancing one of those wings from side to side is very important if you want the plane to turn equally well in both directions.
I'm not sure if having lots of dihedral on a C/L plane lessens the need for outboard wingtip weight, or if the dihedral has a self correcting effect ...?
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 07, 2024 4:56 pm

In the past I have used nickles, pennies, but mostly washers of various sizes.  I will probably stick something under there. One of my planes has a dollar bill stuck in the fuselage, forgot which one.  Not much dihedral in the painted version.  The natural finished Bonanza has whatever JW designed in with his precut wing brace.  I'm kinda anxious to see how it does too.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 07, 2024 5:03 pm

I would strongly advise anyone not to use washers under the front engine lugs. It's a very poor practice which will come loose and cause excessive engine vibration. It's not going to save a airplane by regaining line tension. The wood will crush and prior to it crushing, the engine will shake so much it will loosen making black oil all over the model. The more it shakes, the leaner the engine run and this will certainly not be beneficial. If your looking to insure line tension, make certain your gear is tracking correctly when rolled. Double your tip weight for the first flight. I've gone as far on certain planes such as speed planes to bend the gear which in turn drops the outboard wing so it's canted outboard when rolling out. While it can wear the wheels excessively, it enables one to fly the plane without concerns of it turning in on take off. If that's not doable, use a wheel collar and provide drag to the outer wheel which will consistently cause the plane to yaw outboard.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:20 am

Thanks Ken, I keep saying that this thing is done, but it really isn't.  I still need to replace the engine wood screws with machine screws and nuts and lock washers among other things.  There is "out" built into the nose wheels on both Bonanzas, more by accident than intent.  It might help a bit by assisting the nose keeping it pointed outside the circle.  But, as far as ROG I will probably have Mark hand launch them or take them off from a slipperly cardboard runway.  Time will tell.

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018153
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018154
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:01 pm

rdw777 wrote:Glad you picked that Firebaby up Bob….. Not crazy, An eye of the beholder thing, I like the worn patina on it as well…. IMO a coat of clear to seal it up as is…. The early Bee is a nice plus but probably not original….. If the firewall hasn’t been re-drilled might have had a tanked Cub that had the same pattern….. Seller mentioned it had been flown by the previous owner…. I think that’s cool too..

Got it today Robert,  

Now this makes me happy!  No NIB or trailer queen here.  Only finding an old '34 Ford Coupe barn find with a mouse eaten interior would make me happier.  

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018163

Vintage Thimbledrome marked Cox Babe Bee loosely hung on by a couple of 2/56's with curious nuts on diagonal ends.  Airplane complete except for the canopy and weathered in the extreme.  Other than making a canopy, cleaning up the engine and mounting it properly, I'm leaving it alone.  The original tires on the wheels are in good shape.

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018164
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018165

The box it came in is interesting.  Pretty good shape too, I'm saving it.

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018166
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018168
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018167
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018170

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018169
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Sep 09, 2024 4:20 pm

Nice Bob …. Very much like a barn find indeed!!…. Great price too for a nearly complete Firebaby… I saved the link and was watching it for awhile…. Interesting to try and backtrack a plane’s history by its condition….. Mine looks like it was flown once or twice, broken a little in the attempts, and then forgotten about …. Yours looks like it survived many flights and remained mostly intact…. Maybe even wore out its first engine….Flown enough that the fuel and exhaust residue washed a lot of the finish off of the wing….That adds a point or two or in vintage Firebaby grading IMO Very Happy …. I hope you don’t mind, I took one of your photos and the seller’s photo and doctored them up a bit to try and pick up a little more detail…. Going in my Firebaby photo file….

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 05f72010
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 7027b310

Incidentally fyi, Someone picked up a photo of my Firebaby and sent it to Outerzone….
Also a few memories and experiences posted there…. Also a link to your Jim Walker
Firebaby and Firebaby Clone thread here on CEF…..

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=15471

I’m glad FB’s are getting a little attention…. Has been fun looking into it  Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:02 am

I hope you don’t mind, I took one of your photos and the seller’s photo and doctored them up a bit to try and pick up a little more detail.

Mind....I encourage it.  I love this stuff.

Someone picked up a photo of my Firebaby and sent it to Outerzone….

Yes, happens all the time.  So often while exploring I find Kim's and my pictures plastered all over the internet.  

I’m glad FB’s are getting a little attention…. Has been fun looking into it.

Amen.

More Firebaby stuff.  The title of this thread is Bonanza etc.  Heavy on the etc. Smile

Most radical Firebaby (sort of) is the split wing variation in the foreground.  Wings slip into a plastic retainer.  I'm leaving it in "as found" condition.

Engines?  Who knows what you will find on these things.  

My theory on the weathered Firebaby is that a PO washed the gooey stickey castor off with some solvent or cleaner like Simple Green. But more likely a solvent as water based cleaners tend to mishape balsa, while this Firebaby is straight, very dry, and clean.  Kim's "castor slingers" vary in amount slung.   This Firebaby could have been excessive.  I have ran some OK Cubs where spent castor just dripped off the test stand.  But, that is variable in amount too.  Ran sloppy rich or lean?  Castor content of the fuel?  Was additional castor added?  

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 Ok_run19

Firebaby family gathering minus Firebaby Jr..

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018171
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018172

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018174
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018175
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018173
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:13 am

That's a nice old Babe Bee Robert Smile Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018111

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018112

Yes.. those precarious hex-nuts between the engine/firewall.. Huh... Looking at the first (upper) photo; one might think they were used to provide some down-thrust.. but not with a second one placed behind the diagonal lug shown in the lower photo. On a positive note.. you've got two extra nuts for when you find a second pair of machine screws.. (2-56?) Could be 3-48 I suppose..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:04 pm

roddie wrote:Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 P1018112

Yes.. those precarious hex-nuts between the engine/firewall.. Huh... Looking at the first (upper) photo; one might think they were used to provide some down-thrust.. but not with a second one placed behind the diagonal lug shown in the lower photo. On a positive note.. you've got two extra nuts for when you find a second pair of machine screws.. (2-56?) Could be 3-48 I suppose..
Looks like the modeller was attempting to provide right thrust to help keep lines taught. The use of a larger nut as a washer, 3-48 or 4-40 is thicker than a single washer, may have been the only hardware on hand at the time, as a quick fix. Just missing the upper mounting hardware and spacer nut.

That would be my guess.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:15 pm

I just read an article about the Firebaby.
It explained how the bits and pieces of their other products could be repurposed to make these planes.
What the article failed to do was say how many of these planes were ever produced.
The plane itself cost about $2.50 in 1948 and with engine add $5.00 to that. A replacement wing was $1.00.

Another question I have is how good of a job did the sheet metal engine mount [it looks flimsy in the photos] do of snuffing out vibration...?
I notice these planes used balloon tanks and if filled correctly a balloon type tank wont allow foam foaming.
Maybe they did it this way to "work around" the flimsy engine mount...?

This begs another question....WHY AREN'T BALLOON TANKS MORE POPULAR...?
That's what a Tetra Tank [that all the Pylon Racers use] is....it's a balloon tank, but exhaust pressure is used to collapse it instead of just atmospheric pressure of a properly filled 1/2A balloon tank..
The balloon tank can be set up a lot lighter than any sort of sheet metal or hard plastic tank. The balloon can sit in a balsa sheet box that has been treated with fuel proof dope.
Build the "fuel cell" right into a cheek cowl [on the inboard side of the engine mount] and now you have centripetal force work with you too.
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:04 pm

I've used the Tetra tanks many years ago. They're problematic to fill and get ready to start. In other words, you treat it is if it's a balloon by withdrawing all air. You now need a pinch off to prevent air from entering the balloon. You start the engine hopefully on a flip and release the pinch off. Very similar to bladder techniques. For me, I was doing this on a stunter. If you didn't immediately get it to run, you had to start all over by withdrawing the air back out. Not a good equation when your on the clock. The only time it would fail me is when I was trying to use it at a contest. Reasoning for using it is Tetra tanks don't recognize vibrations. However, other issue occurred. I would get a hiccup in the overheads and I could never figure out why, these were quite dramatic.

Balloons fail quickly as well. The idea does work. I will say it's not as sensitive to height, the run was impacted if the balloon was too high or too low. It's just that it took a fairly up and down amount to change it.

The reason for me that the Tetra tank was a problem was also because it didn't use all the fuel. I like to get a decent run through the cloverleaf and then I like it to lean out a bit for about 10 laps. I was in belief that the bag material in the Tetra tank was too hard to fully squash. In addition, it had molded seams in the rear and that portion would retain it's shape and not fully collapse. I reversed the Tetra tank by filling the tank and using muffler pressure to inflate the bag. It did work better.

Larry Renger from Cox designed a plane which I believe was called the Skyfire. It was featured in Flying Models and it utilized a 35mm canister to house the balloon. Larry used the AP .061 with terrifc results and his fellow friend flew it in a contest receiving a very high score doing the pattern.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:09 pm

Ken Cook wrote:       I've used the Tetra tanks many years ago. They're problematic to fill and get ready to start. In other words, you treat it is if it's a balloon by withdrawing all air. You now need a pinch off to prevent air from entering the balloon. You start the engine hopefully on a flip and release the pinch off. Very similar to bladder techniques. For me, I was doing this on a stunter. If you didn't immediately get it to run, you had to start all over by withdrawing the air back out. Not a good equation when your on the clock. The only time it would fail me is when I was trying to use it at a contest. Reasoning for using it is  Tetra tanks don't recognize vibrations. However, other issue occurred. I would get a hiccup in the overheads and I could never figure out why, these were quite dramatic.

Balloons fail quickly as well. The idea does work. I will say it's not as sensitive to height, the run was impacted if the balloon was too high or too low. It's just that it took a fairly up and down amount to change it.  

The reason for me that the Tetra tank was a problem was also because it didn't use all the fuel. I like to get a decent run through the cloverleaf and then I like it to lean out a bit for about 10 laps. I was in belief that the bag material in the Tetra tank was too hard to fully squash. In addition, it had molded seams in the rear and that portion would retain it's shape and not fully collapse. I reversed the Tetra tank by filling the tank and using muffler pressure to inflate the bag. It did work better.

Larry Renger from Cox designed a plane which I believe was called the Skyfire. It was featured in Flying Models and it utilized a 35mm canister to house the balloon. Larry used the AP .061 with terrifc results and his fellow friend flew it in a contest receiving a very high score doing the pattern.

It seems to me that if you do a slight overfill and allow the overfill to empty itself back out, all the air has been purged and you are now 100% full all the way to the needle valve.
I don't see why this would be any more prone to flooding than a standard hard tank...[unless jiggling the model during fire up pumps the walls of the balloon enough to pump fuel out].
I am thinking about experimenting with a Cox .020  and running it with a "nitrile glove finger tank" that is adapted to a hard balsa wood stopper that the line passes througb to the rear of the tank.
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:53 pm

Ballon tanks work good for me…. I made up a test rig for a single line ballon tank an ran it on the Wasp that came with my Firebaby just to see….. Filled and purged it similar as you describe TD…..The Jim Walker ballon tanks just had a piece of neoprene fuel line to the back, I used a brass tube instead with a modified pickup…. Worked fine…

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 Bec83910
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 A1ff1710

I also use them on .020 size RC…. Seven inch party balloons but with two lines…. One of our CEF members taught me how to make these…..The fill line terminates right behind the stopper so it’s an easy matter to hold the nose of the plane up and evacuate the air after filling…. Although the ballon is never under pressure I put a small clothes pin on the feed line until ready to start to be sure and not flood…These balloons are very easy for the .020’s to collapse all the way around the pickup line…

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 8ae64d10

One at work…

rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Tue Sep 10, 2024 8:25 pm

rdw777 wrote:Ballon tanks work good for me…. I made up a test rig for a single line ballon tank an ran it on the Wasp that came with my Firebaby just to see….. Filled and purged it similar as you describe TD…..The Jim Walker ballon tanks just had a piece of neoprene fuel line to the back, I used a brass tube instead with a modified pickup…. Worked fine…

What a great plane, engine run and prop you made for .020 powered plane..!!
Since the balloon tank is part of what makes a Firebaby tick I wont feel like it's a "high jacking" of this thread to talk some more about it.

Having a second line to allow air to escape is what I need to do with this tank I just made from a nitrile glove finger and a disk of plastic.
What I just made isn't exactly weightless..it weighs 1/4 of an ounce. [a high pressure bladder weighs nothing but they are a PIA at times]
This balloon tank worked great but it was a messy operation to fill it without having the secondary air purge line.
I'm in the process of building an RC plane for my .020. It won't be as sporty as yours...I just want to get my feet weight with a slower plane.
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 Img_0654
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 Img_0655
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 6 Img_0656
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:16 pm

Since the balloon tank is part of what makes a Firebaby tick I wont feel like it's a "high jacking" of this thread

Thanks TD-a, but highjackings for me isn't a problem as they ususally expand the topic.

But, my Bonanza projects are done except for flying so I'm putting a nail in this thread and moving my discussion of the "Weathered" Firebaby over to Robert's much more appropriate Jim Walker Firebaby thread. Interesting little project that the PO bungled and hung a crashed early model Babe Bee on the nose.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6