Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

some pics....  Cox_ba12

some pics....  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Ignition Points for Ohlsson 23
by ffkiwi Yesterday at 6:48 pm

» some pics....
by roddie Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:22 am

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 8:58 am

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by Oldenginerod Yesterday at 7:30 am

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Cox Rivets OWNERS FLIGHT MANUAL
by howardhb Yesterday at 7:03 am

» WILLY NILLY
by MANDALAY Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:28 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:58 pm

» Thrust Washer
by davidll1984 Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:25 am

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

some pics....  Empty
Live on Patrol

some pics....

Go down

some pics....  Empty some pics....

Post  roddie Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:43 pm

I just went-through the engine that will be installed in my rigger boat. These are just some "after" pics that I took.. because........ I enjoy capturing what I think looks cool. Cool

Feel free to add any that you have. I often use them for my monitors wallpaper.

some pics....  20240920

some pics....  20240922

some pics....  20240921

some pics....  20240923

some pics....  20240925

some pics....  20240924

some pics....  20240926
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

some pics....  Empty Re: some pics....

Post  balogh Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:47 am

some pics....  20190813

COX Tee Dee 010 on a tropical leaf somewhere in Thailand.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

some pics....  Empty Ladybird

Post  Coxfledgling Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:05 am

Hi Roddie, may I ask please, from where did you get the grey reed assembly end plate please ?

The engine shown is a peewee 20 ?

Are throttled versions of that end plate available please ??

All info greatly appreciated here in UK ( Wales ).

Thanks
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:16 am

Coxfledgling wrote:Hi Roddie, may I ask please, from where did you get the grey reed assembly end plate please ?

The engine shown is a peewee 20 ?

Are throttled versions of that end plate available please ??

All info greatly appreciated here in UK ( Wales ).

Thanks

Roddie's engine is a standard .049 Surestart apart from his "ram-tube".  The grey backplate assembely is available from Cox International in either standard or R/C versions.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

some pics....  Empty Peeweeparts

Post  Coxfledgling Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:01 am

Thanks oldenginerod...checked dens model supplies ( UK Cox parts, no tank or back plates, but other parts being ordered Monday ) , Cox int, exmodelengines and mecoa ( mecoa will not ship to UK, grrrrrrr ) , no joy.

Local uni has a "design and innovation" unit open to public access, will be making enquiries, here's hopeing.....

I know about 049 back plates having a couple of RC ( and the or red plastic and white plastic type ) ones.

Thanks guys, all info much appreciated.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:09 am

Coxfledgling wrote:Thanks oldenginerod...( mecoa will not ship to UK, grrrrrrr )

Yeah, I really can't understand what MECOA's problem is. They present pages of rules regarding shipments to the point that no-one can understand any of it. If you go to the UK shipping explanation page, it all seems to point to your VAT being the problem. As far as I know, our GST (Goods & Services Tax) is pretty much the same. The info seems to date as of 2021, so looks like the page is pretty out of date. If I buy stuff from the UK or anywhere else, the GST gets added automatically. I am registered for GST but you don't have to register if you're not a business, so I don't see why the VAT is any different.
For a couple of years there, MECOA was trying to tell us that they couldn't ship to AUS because the government had blocked stuff coming out of the UK, which was just a load of rubbish. It seems to me that MECOA just couldn't be bothered dealing with other countries, so they try to baffle everyone with rules and regs. They will not sell to AUS from their eBay store, but it now looks like they may have relented on the AUS ban for their web store.

I'd be contacting them to confirm that the refusal to ship still stands.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:18 am

Because you said COX Int'l and Exmodelengines do not have the backplate on stock (I see it is available with e.g COX Int'l: https://coxengines.ca/cox-049-051/, or with Exmodel: http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=17897&cat=268&page=1  you may want to try this German website with the R/C choke tube on the grey backplate.

https://mg-modellbau.de/Gasmotor-and-parts/Cox/Throttle-Conversion-for-Cox-049-Engine-Tanked.html

I wish you good luck with the grey backplate that often comes with the venturi cracked where the spraybar intersects it. These were made in the last years of COX when quality was sacrificed for cost savings..there  was a thread here on CEF about the cracked venturies.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t14591-surestart-engines-with-cracked-backplate-housings?highlight=Cracked

I would combine the RC choke and grey snorkel with any horseshoe backplate different in color (and thus, quality) than the grey one, ebay often lists them.. but COX Int'l and Exmodel both sell the red Killer Bee backplate, which is compatible with the RC choke tube, too.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:23 am

My P-38 engines (counter-rotating)

some pics....  P38_co10

Engines for my two P-51's

some pics....  P-51_e10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:48 am

Nice, Thoughtful photos gentlemen, I particularly like this one….Nice lightning, reflection,
In/Out focus just right….

some pics....  A628a310

What are using for camera Roddie?…. Mine are with an iPhone …. Here’s one of my Firebaby with some shiny’d up parts….

some pics....  F5e76b10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:30 pm

rdw777 wrote:

What are using for camera Roddie?…. Mine are with an iPhone ….

Thanks Robert, I can tell that you have an "eye" for photography. 95% of my photos taken within the last 2-3 years have been with my mobile phone; a Samsung Galaxy A10e (2019). It features an 8 megapixel camera running V 11.0.15.43 with the HDR (High Dynamic Range) setting enabled.

I almost always take a little extra time before I capture an image; at least 3 seconds... but more often several seconds longer than that.. The auto-focus gives me fits sometimes.. and I have to adjust the lighting and/or distance to get the shot I want.. but overall I'm pleased with camera's performance. Its macro potential is limited.. but I can usually capture what I need to satisfy my eye.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

some pics....  Empty Rear Bear

Post  roddie Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:13 pm

some pics....  11-11-13

some pics....  11-16-12

some pics....  12-21-12

some pics....  2-5-1411

some pics....  3-18-111

some pics....  20190852
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Yesterday at 6:12 am

Nice Roddie Very Happy….. The photo log tells the story from concept to the finished machine in a tasteful sort of way….. I know there’s lots of “In between” these too…. Great for future reference along with enjoying the art of photography as well….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:16 am

I still love that "Rare Bear" roddie.  My all-time favorite model airplane.  Beautiful construction pictures.

But....... Telephone cameras, I'll never get it.  But, I have to admit that my Son's I-Phone? B-Phone? Z-phone? What-ever phone takes better pictures than does my ancient Olympus C-3000 that has taken every picture that I have ever posted here.

My I-phone?  I have no idea what it is but it says Tendlin on the faceplate is a gift from Mark costing me nothing as I'm on his "Plan."  Still, I don't like the thing, don't want to like the thing!  A computer in my pocket?  Ha!  I would never get any work done with the thing going off all the time.  It stays in the house mostly with a dead battery.  (I'm one of the 23% still with a land-line.)

My camera, I have seven of them.  Internet buys for as little a $5.00 apiece.  Their Achilles heel is the battery compartments door.  Latches break, I repair by drilling a hole and securing with a #2 screw.  Yesterday I was on the tractor ("Tractor Phone" I keep one everywhere) taking a picture when the door broke off completely spilling the AA batteries all over the ground.  This one will take two screws to repair.  

Notice top camera has been repaired with a single screw at the end of the arrow.  Hinge latch is still functionable......for now.  

some pics....  P1018243
some pics....  P1018244
some pics....  P1018245

I will keep my cameras.  Listening to NPR on the radio this morning I heard that New York City generates millions of pounds of trash a day multiply that by cities worldwide.  When the last gram of useable material is used on this planet, I hope that someone is around to turn off the lights.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Yesterday at 10:32 am

Robert and Robert.. Thanks to you both for your kind comments on my Rare Bear. I shot close to 400 photos of that build.. 74 of which are of the fuel-tank fabrication.

some pics....  11-30-10

some pics....  2-28-110

I had a LOT MORE PATIENCE back then... Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Yesterday at 12:42 pm

roddie wrote:Robert and Robert.. Thanks to you both for your kind comments on my Rare Bear. I shot close to 400 photos of that build.. 74 of which are of the fuel-tank fabrication.

some pics....  11-30-10

some pics....  2-28-110

I had a LOT MORE PATIENCE back then... Laughing
Nice work Roddie !!!
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Yesterday at 6:21 pm

akjgardner wrote:

some pics....  2-28-110

Nice work Roddie !!!

Thanks Joe. I've had the urge to fly some of my airplanes lately.. but this "boat thing" is lingering.... What? ..... What? and languishing..... What? ... while I procrastinate on petty details.

well... not really petty, but more liked things that are already engineered when building a kit. My boat isn't a kit.. so I'm continually faced with the "how and what". I'm "rolling the dice" that the model will "plane-out" after I throw it in the water with the engine singing...

some recent rigger-fab photos which fit that "petty detail" status. This is a "drive-line" operation, which I'm hoping will "lock" the engine's drive-plate-to-flywheel faces and the flywheel to shaft-coupling faces.

some pics....  20240929

some pics....  20240927

some pics....  20240928

some pics....  20240930

I had sourced some .031" thickness silicone-rubber sheet which hadn't worked-out for its intended purpose.. and I'm using discs cut from it; as sort-of a lock-washer. This would lend itself well to counter-clockwise crankshaft rotation when using the electric belt-start system. I'll have the option of experimenting with either right or left-hand propellers.. because the reed-valve engine will run in either direction equally well.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down