Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product Cox_ba12

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» some pics....
by roddie Today at 9:13 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Today at 6:47 pm

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by rsv1cox Today at 6:24 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 5:37 pm

» Cox Rivets OWNERS FLIGHT MANUAL
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:30 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by balogh Today at 8:40 am

» WILLY NILLY
by MANDALAY Yesterday at 7:28 pm

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:54 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Thrust Washer
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 8:25 am

» Peewee power
by Coxfledgling Yesterday at 3:46 am

» Ode to a dead cat
by GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:11 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product Empty
Live on Patrol

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product

Go down

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product Empty The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:53 pm

Perhaps a few eyebrows raised but it is.  Lot's of moving parts, complex, and produced for a constructive purpose.  Cox's Series 140 engine adapted to power a chainsaw, a bicycle or what-ever.  Leroys star reed provides power to the bar oil pump.  Magneto, points, condencer, clutch, "pistol grip", lot's to love.  

My fifth one, sold cheaply as a parts chainsaw arrived yesterday.  Pull rope starter works fine, great compression and almost clean.  Fueled it up, primed through the carburator, pulled the rope and nothing..............not even a pop.  Pulled the plug and no sparkie.....Suspecting points.  The plug looks like it has been cleaned but the chainsaw shows no evidence of ever being apart.  I think the PO just cleaned the plug and went no further.

I'm looking forward to disassembly.  A fun thing to look into.  

Latest model I think with a plastic instead of a cast aluminum chain cover.  First one I have seen.  

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018155
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018156
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product Empty Re: The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product

Post  Admin Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:20 pm

A bit of sanding of the points will hopefully bring it back to life.

I'd like to find one of those chainsaws someday. Would love to stumble across one in person.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product Empty Re: The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:28 pm

The second one arrived today. If I thought the first was well boxed, well this fellow went overboard. The Mona Lisa should be shipped as well. Double wrapped with instructions.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018213

Always exciting to see whats missing and what has been messed with. Some heat on the flywheel, a cloth buffer and a tap with a substantial hammer and drop the engine onto a soft place.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018216

Ah, points. That and a carburator we are most of the way home.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018215
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018214

Most Cox engines are numbered, some are not. This one is. Motor mostly locked up, but I'm not forcing it. Complete disassembly next. I love this stuff.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018218
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018217
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018219

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018220
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  049kid Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:14 pm

Hey guys,all this reminds me of my childhood in the late 60s. My dad built me and my brother a 16"solid tire bike.i don't think it was the chainsaw version,I think it had a tickler on bottom of carb for priming and a red rubber kill switch.very fun as a young kid,got burnt many times on that little bugger
049kid
049kid
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:45 pm

049kid wrote:Hey guys,all this reminds me  of my childhood in the late 60s. My dad built me and my brother a 16"solid tire bike.i don't think it was the chainsaw version,I think it had a tickler on bottom of carb for priming and a red rubber kill switch.very fun as a young kid,got burnt many times on that little bugger

Yes, red kill switch. Check where the spark plug lead comes out from the saws body. Press to stop.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:59 pm

I got around to tearing down the most likey salvagable parts chainsaw.  Disappointing surprises.  One of the reeds is missing, might as well be both of them.  No workie without two.  Lone reed visable far left.  

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018231

Second surprise is the way the handle attaches. (Above picture) - On this one it looks like it's attached only by a press fit on posts.  All the others are attached by nuts and bolts.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018232
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018233

More disappointments.  The PO broke off the fuel tubing nipple on the carburator and tried a brass fitting fix.  I wish that novices would just leave things they know nothing about alone.  A little heat on the tubing and it would have just popped off with a screwdriver pry on the open end.  

PO ..........Well lets see.........I'll just pull it straight off.......Duh??? Well maybe a little side-to side motion..........PO "Oh, Oh"..... Upsets me because this is otherwise a workable and very rare carburator that some dolt ruined. Whoops...Bob is venting. Smile Smile

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018234

and...........this PO just could not win.  He stripped the torx fitting on the chain drives clutch.  Again.  I bet that he used no heat when he tried to unscrew it.  Been there on others.  I have to drill some out and pry it off.  Thankfully I have replacements for those specialized screws.  

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018236
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018235

Chainsaws, around here not just another pretty face.

Yesterday.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018240
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018237

Last Spring

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018238
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018239

They get worked to the tune of many replacement chains.  Sometimes we get them resharpened at $5 each.  But new Chinese chains which last much longer than those resharpened are available on-line @ two for $20 shipped.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Today at 2:30 am

Bob wrote:More disappointments.  The PO broke off the fuel tubing nipple on the carburator and tried a brass fitting fix.  I wish that novices would just leave things they know nothing about alone.  A little heat on the tubing and it would have just popped off with a screwdriver pry on the open end. ...
Bob, I enjoy your comments, telling it like it is. Very Happy

A previous owner adds new meaning to why a plumber in town has a slogan on the back of his tool truck, "We fix your husband's plumbing repairs." Laughing

The value of experiential knowledge is gained through age and experience, plus a knack for working on things. Huh... Smoking Cool

I've got a K&B .35 Torpedo bought used with a hacked off piston skirt very poorly done to create SPI, but gap is extreme and very roughly done.

Ruined a good engine otherwise. tongue
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Today at 6:47 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Bob wrote:More disappointments.  The PO broke off the fuel tubing nipple on the carburator and tried a brass fitting fix.  I wish that novices would just leave things they know nothing about alone.  A little heat on the tubing and it would have just popped off with a screwdriver pry on the open end. ...
Bob, I enjoy your comments, telling it like it is. Very Happy

A previous owner adds new meaning to why a plumber in town has a slogan on the back of his tool truck, "We fix your husband's plumbing repairs." Laughing

The value of experiential knowledge is gained through age and experience, plus a knack for working on things. Huh... Smoking Cool

I've got a K&B .35 Torpedo bought used with a hacked off piston skirt very poorly done to create SPI, but gap is extreme and very roughly done.

Ruined a good engine otherwise. tongue

I have it's McCoy look-a-like George. I bought it years ago for next to nothing as it was a castor locked mess. But it had a curious glow plug extension that caught my eye.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018241

Today I found another on ebay for way to much money with another curious extension. Not a customer.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product Mccoy_19

I may be able to save that carburator. The PO's brass replacement tube is threaded and a SO square drive screws it in. I think a little Blue Lock-tite or JB Weld on the threads may fix it. PO just smeared some type of cement around it that just flipped off. A 20 minute soak in Berrymans cleaned it up and everything else seems Ok.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product P1018242

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down