Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Cox_ba12

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by EXModelEngines Today at 7:12 pm

» CO2 Engine
by kakariki53 Today at 6:49 pm

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by balogh Today at 6:23 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 3:44 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by roddie Today at 2:53 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 1:46 pm

» 'Tweeners...
by rdw777 Today at 1:28 pm

» The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp
by davidll1984 Today at 11:52 am

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by davidll1984 Today at 7:48 am

» Black Widow Question
by Ken Cook Today at 7:05 am

» Inverted flying cub
by ppvj64 Today at 6:49 am

» Jim Walkers Firebabies with a story.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:27 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Empty Re: The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:37 am

Does this saw require a 32:1 mix? I know newer saws are much less but I would imagine the older engines required a bit more.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Empty Re: The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:05 pm

Ken Cook wrote:                Does this saw require a 32:1 mix? I know newer saws are much less but I would imagine the older engines required a bit more.

16 to 1 Ken of gas to 30 wt.  But we run 40 to one in our Stihl chainsaws using Stihl's own oil.  Bought with a new chain saw it increases your warrentee by one year.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018311
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018314

But, I'm in trouble with this tank.  The fuel line is split and pulled out of it's grommet.  Rest and the filter is still in the tank.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018312
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018313
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:15 pm

Bob, you did an amazing job of clean-up on that Cox chainsaw. It sort of reminds me of my K&B .35 Stallion clean-up that I did a couple years ago, rusty inside. Your saw may have spent a spell outdoors maybe sitting outside a shed? For it to get that much moisture inside to rust like that tells me that it lived its life stored in a damp environment.

Your restoration work helps hide its hideous past. If you complete it to fully running status will be a testimony of geniousness.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:46 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks for that Jacob.  It verifies that it was factory not some customer mod.  The piece #4 is one unit, the spot welds have come apart.  I'm not sure how to fix that.

Bob

PS............You gotta find one.  I need some company in my Cox chainsaw miseries.  Smile

You might need to take it to a machine shop (auto shop, performance motorcycle shop...) and see if someone can weld it back together.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled. Want to trade one for a Lawn Boy mower?

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 24, 2024 5:19 pm

Want to trade one for a Lawn Boy mower?

I have had that in the back of my mind for a couple of weeks now Jacob.  Only you get to keep the mower.  Smile  I have saved one of the better packing boxes.  When I get everything sorted out you get my "partzer."  You will need points and condenser and a carburator.  Probably bar and chain too, so start looking.  You unlike me, rotate in those small engine circles so you should have better luck finding them than I have.  I will let you know.  No compensation necessary other than a years free subscription to the Cox Engine Forum.  Smile

So.....today.  Rain - got some stuff done.  Sandblasted the muffler parts.  Some heat resistant engine paint will finish the job.  I also sandblasted the interior of the fuel tank to get some of the junk out of there.  

I think I have a fix for the broken fuel line.  Medium silicone tubing with a "clunk" filter direct to the carburator, no need for a junction.  A little RTV or gasket material where it enters the tank ought to prevent leakage.  Tubing is fixed to the carburator for illustration only.  That end goes in the tank with the clunk.  I must have one around here someplace.  The present end piece is not a filter, just an opened ended device.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018318

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018316
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018317
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duaneh Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:08 pm

Bob, the silicone tubing is no good for gasoline. It will swell up and fall off.
You need Tygon, Neoprene, or Viton.

Tygon is available from Du-Bro or any small engine shop. Viton is available from McMaster-Carr. More expensive than Tygon, but more flexible and doesn't harden up over time.
duaneh
duaneh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:57 am

rsv1cox wrote:Want to trade one for a Lawn Boy mower?

I have had that in the back of my mind for a couple of weeks now Jacob.  Only you get to keep the mower.  Smile  I have saved one of the better packing boxes.  When I get everything sorted out you get my "partzer."  You will need points and condenser and a carburator.  Probably bar and chain too, so start looking.  You unlike me, rotate in those small engine circles so you should have better luck finding them than I have.  I will let you know.  No compensation necessary other than a years free subscription to the Cox Engine Forum.  Smile

I'm always up for another project.  Very Happy

I have maybe 5-6 gas chainsaws in the shed, all need attention since they've been sitting for years. Including a pair of 70s era small McCulloch Eager Beaver chainsaws. One of those two that was lent out to a cousin years ago that came back with a cross-threaded spark plug hole. I had to chase the threads, among other things.

I suppose you could call this a "gas powered" chainsaw as well  Cool :

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Img_2511
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Img_2510

Damn, that grass looks long in those pictures. Thanks to near endless rain for a couple of weeks this summer. For awhile there everything was growing fast, and it was always too wet to cut. Then we had storms that took down a few branches on top of it, hence the chainsaw.

Cox Beaver Chainsaw

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:16 am

duaneh wrote:Bob, the silicone tubing is no good for gasoline. It will swell up and fall off.

Tygon is available from Du-Bro or any small engine shop. Viton is available from McMaster-Carr. More expensive than Tygon, but more flexible and doesn't harden up over time.

Thanks for that Duane, I had no idea. Perhaps that is why Cox used a different tubing inside the tank where exposure would be constant. I'm glad that you let me know before I cut up that tubing. I'm careful of the stuff. It seems I'm always running out of it.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Sep 25, 2024 8:40 am

Hi Robert, Amazon stocks 1/8" ID Viton tubing.. and a small sintered-Bronze "Clunk" pick up that should work for servicing your saw's fuel tank.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Viton-10

Amazon Viton link

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Sinter10

Amazon clunk link
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:39 am

It should work roddie.  Entrance hole looks to be a quarter inch.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018320
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018319
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018326

Chain saw doings.  From early morning a few days ago to later in the day.  Coals still hot three days later.  Cox saw probably will not see anything larger than a branch, but I will get one or two running.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018324
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018322
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018321
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018323
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:39 pm

roddie wrote:Hi Robert, Amazon stocks 1/8" ID Viton tubing.. and a small sintered-Bronze "Clunk" pick up that should work for servicing your saw's fuel tank.

]

Thanks roddie. Done, ordered the tubing, I have the clunk.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 26, 2024 12:22 pm

Pretty dead on the CEF today so I'll add.................

More Cox  Chainsaw stuff:

I want to save this sproket drive clutch as it's the only one I have out of seven configured this way.  I have no idea if it pre or post dates the rest but I would guess it predates as it would be much more expensive to manufacture than the pressed steel clutch found on the others. It's not the only major difference, the handle attaches to the body on pegs not hardware as the others.

So, to save the broken/split cogged clutch, I cleaned it up on the wire wheel and turned the sproket on the housing until I found the sweet spot where it settled into the indentations and witness marked it.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018327
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018328

and mixed up some JB Weld (I always over mix) Sad and spread it around the perimeter of the sproket and pressed it on.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018330
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018329

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018331
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018332

I'm hoping that it will hold.  But this part is under a lot of stress.  It's the clutch between the engine and the bar/chain.  At idle it slips, but give it gas and the three ears of the clutch expand (centrifugal force) contacting the housing driving the chain.  The ears being constrained by a spring wrapped around the outside of the clutch.  Much more involved than the pressed steel clutch.  

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018334
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018335
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018333

Pressed steel clutch.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018336

The brass pin was a PO mod.  He evidently lost the Woodruff key (picture) seen on the right above in the "good" clutch.  I snapped the PO's clutch while drilling out the retaining screw and lifting it with the three legged gear puller.  

Lot's of fun these chainsaws.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:27 pm

Little two stroke engines are fun to tinker with….Amazing amount of power for their size…. I finally had to give up on my cheapie WM weed eater….. I kept fixing this and that it until it just absolutely lost power due to lack of compression ….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 26, 2024 6:31 pm

rdw777 wrote:Little two stroke engines are fun to tinker with….Amazing amount of power for their size…. I finally had to give up on my cheapie WM weed eater….. I kept fixing this and that it until it just absolutely lost power due to lack of compression ….

I finally had to give up on my cheapie WM weed eater.

Me too. Switched to an electric spool fed B&D and never looked back. I love the thing. No more winding line and it feeds automatically and perfectly.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:47 am

duaneh wrote:Bob, the silicone tubing is no good for gasoline. It will swell up and fall off.

I ordered it from Amazon per roddies link.  Not cheap, $15.38 per foot shipped.  Dubro has it in 3' rolls for much less but it's 5/32" ID too big for my purposes.

Below link has a video.

https://www.amazon.com/Du-Bro-554-I-D-Tygon-Tubing/dp/B0006O8TW6/ref=pe_386300_440135490_sr_d_sccl_2/131-2746572-5432326/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0006O8TW6&pd_rd_w=HelI0&content-id=amzn1.sym.3860b7b7-a905-4d2a-a55a-a11512bfd866&pf_rd_p=3860b7b7-a905-4d2a-a55a-a11512bfd866&pf_rd_r=EPX40R6B2A1G49FRP9KC&pd_rd_wg=pFIai&pd_rd_r=b9c9037a-bca7-465e-8239-81e528a59f21&ref_=sr&th=1

Roberts reeds arrive yesterday. Perfect fit.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018340
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018341
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018342

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Yesterday at 10:11 am

I’m glad the reeds fit Bob….. Your photos and scale were perfect for trying to replicate…. Between that and the new tubing will be interested to see if it will run for you Very Happy ….

rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Yesterday at 7:15 pm

I think I've got a service manual for this somewhere. Not sure if its already floating around somewhere, but if not and there's interest I can try to dig it out.
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Today at 8:45 am

EXModelEngines wrote:I think I've got a service manual for this somewhere. Not sure if its already floating around somewhere, but if not and there's interest I can try to dig it out.

Thanks Matt, I have the owners manual, looks like this:

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018359

but not the service manual. If you could find it and post scans here it might help me solve some problems and answer some questions.

Bob

Poking around ebay last week this popped up. Arrives today.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Qdoutc10
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 9h2n3g10
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Cp549j10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Today at 3:17 pm

Well, it arrived this afternoon, clean and with a complete carburator.  Complete except for one very little detail............

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018360

What do you do.............scream and shout or fix it.  I do both!  I like the other fellows idea, a brass tube threaded.  It works.  Years ago I bought a set of taps and dies in 2/56 and 3/48 anticipating this.  But I think a common 4/40 might be a better choice.  A brass tube on a wooden dowel threaded with a little blue loctite or JB Weld.  

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Vqihxv10
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018361
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 P1018362

The rest of the engine is perfect.  Definately a bicycle engine, extremely clean.  A chainsaw engine would be beat to death.  

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Bike_310
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Cox_bi10
The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 C_bike10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Today at 7:12 pm

Here's the front cover. Scanner is broken and I've got to get a new one, but if there is something specific you had a question on in the meantime let me know and I can snap a picture.

The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product - Page 2 Saw_sm10
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2