Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Cox_ba12

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by rdw777 Today at 5:35 pm

» So Cool If you haven't seen it
by getback Today at 5:25 pm

» Ode to a dead cat
by rdw777 Today at 3:28 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by rdw777 Today at 3:21 pm

» Peewee power
by rdw777 Today at 3:04 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:53 am

» some pics....
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:16 am

» Thrust Washer
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» Needle-Valve extensions (yellow) for Killer Bee
by EXModelEngines Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by balogh Yesterday at 1:40 pm

» cox tee dee 010 pulling a Roaring 20 I have reconstructed after the previous one was lost
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:08 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Empty
Live on Patrol

Jim Walker Bonanza etc.

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Empty Re: Jim Walker Bonanza etc.

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:00 am

rsv1cox wrote:Almost finished, but not a source of pride.  Window frames and controls to go.  Much flatter wing (intentional) than JW's original.  Weighs more too.  Debating where to place the controls, above or beneath the wing.  Above gives a much straighter line between bell crank and control horn.  

I like both of them..!
It will be interesting to compare how they fly.
Here's an idea for the bell crank mount......

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Img_0637
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:10 pm

TD ABUSER wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Almost finished, but not a source of pride.  Window frames and controls to go.  Much flatter wing (intentional) than JW's original.  Weighs more too.  Debating where to place the controls, above or beneath the wing.  Above gives a much straighter line between bell crank and control horn.  

I like both of them..!
It will be interesting to compare how they fly.
Here's an idea for the bell crank mount......

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Img_0637

Hi Robert! Don't be so tough on yourself.. Hand Shake I like them both too.. and TD's idea for the bellcrank-mount gave me an idea for my Rodd-O-Gyro thread P.2 bellcrank-mount. (the wheels are turning...)

Don't forget to consider my suggestion for moving the lead-out guide rearward just a bit.. maybe 1/4" or less, than the first airplanes' position.

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Bellcr12

It's good that you and Mark are working on the cabin. Is there a clearing nearby.. with room for a 60-70 foot diameter hemispherical flight circle? That would be perfect for flying any of your half-A U-control airplanes. The cabin might be a good location for bench-running model engines too.. Eyebrows I'm a bad influence.. (good movie with James Spader and Rob Lowe)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:48 pm

Thanks TD-A and roddie for the suggestions.  I will give them a  look.  Ken likes the lead out guide to be the same height as the B/C the R/L position has always been a question mark for me.  

I was surprised at how much paint added to the weight of Bonanza #2, almost an ounce.  The JW engines weight vs the Cox Medallion with the perfect tank I would think would be a wash but I did not check them individually.  Personally I like the natural look Bonanza better.  

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Upside10
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018117
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018116

I got the TeeDee .051 in today.  It came with the sleeve, unusual.  I always kept it but many just toss it.  Impulse buy just to compare.  Holds no/little interest for me.  Now if it was a beat up castor locked.............

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018118

Oh yeah...........crazy person here.  Won this one last night.  Cheap as you might imagine.  I like the patania... Smile and it comes with a nice looking early Babe Bee. (I'm not sure about the "black" prop drive washer). Seller is shipping it "untracked".  Strange, but his feedback is 100%.

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Petana10

Edit:  Do you mean this picture roddie?

I think I was trying to align the single point lead-out with the mount "button" .......... or maybe I was just trying to avoid the knot.  Dunno....I'm old.   Smile

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Rod10

Only acceptable place to C/L is the field, otherwise my property is covered with trees.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:38 am

Glad you picked that Firebaby up Bob….. Not crazy, An eye of the beholder thing, I like the worn patina on it as well…. IMO a coat of clear to seal it up as is…. The early Bee is a nice plus but probably not original….. If the firewall hasn’t been re-drilled might have had a tanked Cub that had the same pattern….. Seller mentioned it had been flown by the previous owner…. I think that’s cool too..
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:39 am

I have an aerosol Top Flight clear Robert that I have been saving. Maybe it still has fizzzzz... I'm going to find your old post that outlines the construction of a plastic bottle canopy and try my luck.

TD-A - I do have experience with in-fuselage mounted Bell Cranks. Remember these.... Silver Lining - Airtruk

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018119
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018120

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:10 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks TD-A and roddie for the suggestions.  I will give them a  look.  Ken likes the lead out guide to be the same height as the B/C the R/L position has always been a question mark for me.  

Edit:  Do you mean this picture roddie?

I think I was trying to align the single point lead-out with the mount "button" .......... or maybe I was just trying to avoid the knot.  Dunno....I'm old.   Smile

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Rod10

If you suspend (hang) the airplane by that single lead-out guide-tube; does the nose point UP, DOWN or STRAIGHT-AHEAD?

Ideally... the nose should point STRAIGHT AHEAD.. but since you won't be doing any "stunt flying".. having the nose point slightly DOWN would be better. In level flight; this will yaw the model's nose outward-circle which will help promote line-tension.. as well as slow the speed down a little. Ken mentions somewhere that if an external fuel tank is used; it may need to be "shimmed-out" at the rear slightly.. to orient the tank's pick-up tube properly, so as to prevent the engine from sputtering when the tank is near empty.

If the nose points UP when hanging the model by its lead-outs.. then there's a chance when flying.. that you could lose line-tension if there's a cross-breeze.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:57 pm

Thanks for reminding me roddie. Of course I know that procedure having used it many times and it has been discussed here. It just slipped my mind. Checking it out. Thanks again - Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:21 pm

Here’s the short on a Firebaby canopy Bob…. 20 oz dish soap bottle bottom corner….. It’s close but needs a bit of massaging with heat to slip under the metal firewall….. I think an OK replica if the original is missing completely….. Yes I remember the Silver Lining projects…. Those were fun !!….. Will be looking forward to the details on your well worn Firebaby when you get it Very Happy

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 8b4b3610
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 459a3710
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 47b24610
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:46 pm

Robert, par excellence!  Very Happy  I Love This Forum!

In making that missing bladder fuel tank holder, by using commonly available items, you describe my methodology to a tee. Very Happy

I just dumped a box of empty plastic bottles of various sizes from medicines, health supplements, etc. that I collected over the years as potential radial cowls. Downsizing "stuff". Doh!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 01, 2024 6:21 pm

Thanks Robert, I guess my next detergent buy will be Palmolive in that size then dump the contents in here, my regular buy.  I use a lot of the stuff.......  

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018123

I hung the first Bonanza as roddie described.  Perhaps a couple of degrees nose high but acceptable.  I first checked it free-hand but hung it for the picture.

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018124
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:11 am

Thanks guys, Before I found a mostly intact Firebaby I was collecting a few random parts and was going to scratch the rest out…. Also keeping an eye out for what could be used for substitutes…. I still may piece a second one together….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:59 pm

rdw777 wrote:Thanks guys, Before I found a mostly intact Firebaby I was collecting a few random parts and was going to scratch the rest out…. Also keeping an eye out for what could be used for substitutes…. I still may piece a second one together….

"I was collecting a few random parts"

Maybe you saw this curious ebay ad Robert.

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Ebay_j11

Listed at $15.00 BIN with $6 shipping.  No explaination, no "select parts desired" option.  Just the picture.  So I figured the whole thing and jumped on it.   It will be interesting to see what shows up.

The scratchy Bonanza evolves in a most pecular way.  Fitting it in between rebuilding the cabin and everything else.  My back is killing me.  

PS - The leadout guide is positioned exactly as described in the plans.

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018127

Got the new Palmolive bottle, looks like I have two chances to mess the canopy up.  One on each side.

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018126
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Sep 04, 2024 2:11 pm

“Maybe you saw this curious ebay ad Robert.”

I missed that one, I was watching the one with the drop down menu for awhile…. Bought a rudder, a few bellcranks and fire walls….. Will be interesting to see what shows up in your package….. If you wind up with a surplus of metal props I may want to buy one just for display….

I roughed out that bottle/canopy with a utility knife and made it oversized…… Then trimmed on it here and there with some heavy scissors…. That plastic is tougher than it looks… Be careful and don’t let the knife slip!!…. I used heat from a candle to soften the plastic to try and form fit better…. A heat gun may be better if you have one…..Not as pretty as an original but works OK…..  Let me know how it works out Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:53 am

Finished.  Fuel tank wired in with foam double sided tape between tank and fuselage and control line wires installed.  Rough but flyable.  

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018134
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018132
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018133
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018135
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:34 pm

rdw777 wrote:Glad you picked that Firebaby up Bob….. Not crazy, An eye of the beholder thing, I like the worn patina on it as well…. IMO a coat of clear to seal it up as is…. The early Bee is a nice plus but probably not original….. If the firewall hasn’t been re-drilled might have had a tanked Cub that had the same pattern….. Seller mentioned it had been flown by the previous owner…. I think that’s cool too..

Curious thing about that Fire Baby ebay sale. After I bought it, two days later the seller listed the exact same picture and description in a new ad. I asked him about in an email. He responded that I should read the ad as it states one of two. ----- Which it didn't. The second ad ended without a buyer.

Anyway, he has shipped it and USPS has it in it's posession. A fairly new ebay seller with seven sales but with 100% positive feedback. I think he just did not want to admit that he made a mistake by relisting the ad after it had already been sold.

Mistakes.........I've made a few, but too few to mention.............Frank Sinarta Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:34 am

rsv1cox wrote:Finished.  Fuel tank wired in with foam double sided tape between tank and fuselage and control line wires installed.  Rough but flyable.  

Nicely done..!
Just in case you're looking for a new project....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-tail#/media/File:UltraflightLazairSeriesIII.jpg
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 07, 2024 5:38 am

that came out really good looks like the box art to me ! You going to leave the one just wood grain ? Nice weights too . Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:22 am

I loved the ultra light with the inverted V tail, way beyond my capabilities to model though.  

Yes, the first cloned Bonanza stays natural.  

Really, really done!!  Got me to run a selection of engines for it.  Mounted the best running one.  The Medallion ran great with the T/F 5 1/2-3 but I will probably run something else when it comes around to flying.  I'm going to use the same handle that came in the parts box when I got it. I'm not concerned.

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018140
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018139

Roughly finished, but that's just me now-adays.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:39 am

She looks great..!
The suspense of waiting to see it fly is unbearable..... Smile
What does it need for wing tip weight...?
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:58 am

Looking Really Good Bob
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:06 pm

Nice job Robert!!! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:27 pm

TD ABUSER wrote:She looks great..!
The suspense of waiting to see it fly is unbearable..... Smile
What does it need for wing tip weight...?

I hadn't thought of it. Dacron lines look to be short. I'm looking for just an uninterupted circle to make me happy. What it needs is nose weight, lead from a .22 cartridge ought to do it. Fresh paint needs a week or two to settle, but my every intention is to give it a try, that and the natural Bonanza too. First thing to leave the model will be the wheel pants. Expendable.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Sep 07, 2024 1:18 pm

rsv1cox wrote:What it needs is nose weight, lead from a .22 cartridge ought to do it.  

Hey Robert! Bernie and Matt both have those "heavy hubs".. that I mentioned a while back. I think you sourced an original Cox part. They're a great way to add nose weight.. and you'll likely put more of these to use if you had them. I'm going to buy a few more.

Matt states his are 1/4oz. ea.  

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 049_hu10

Bernie has them also in 3-pks.

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 Heavy_10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:47 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

Curious thing about that Fire Baby ebay sale. …

That is strange Bob, Surely it was a mistake to re-list after it was sold…..Certainly would not be more than one to fit that photo description….

Bonanza looks great!!…. Does the box art justice Thumbs Up ….. I bet Jim Walker would not have dreamed of his models still being built, copied and cloned, collected and discussed all these years later….Hope you can a give flight or two a shot Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:44 pm

Thanks roddie.  That did the trick.  Much better balanced now.  I took the opportunity to change the prop to a Cox 6/3.  Maybe a better choice for the Medallion.  Can't find a spinner for it though.  Goes as is.  With no rudder I angled the engine out a bit more than normal to compensate.  Bruse on the wing is from the drill I used to drill the holes for the fuel tank wire.  Big drill, little bit.  I should have used the Dremel.  

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018147

BTW, while cleaning up the cabin this morning I moved a gifted bird feeder out to the front porch.  Nut Hatches have found it and are taking it over.  COSTCO seeds.  Not exactly Bird Station Zebra but it will have to do.  Smile

Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018149
Jim Walker Bonanza etc. - Page 5 P1018148

And Robert, if JW is watching what I'm doing to his creations he's probably turning over...................
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next