Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Golden Bee basic running problem - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Golden Bee basic running problem - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WILLY NILLY
by MANDALAY Today at 1:28 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:35 pm

» TD .049 Scratch Build
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by Admin Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» willies nillies
by MANDALAY Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Betty Skelton
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 3:10 pm

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 3:00 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:20 am

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:30 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Golden Bee basic running problem - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Golden Bee basic running problem

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Golden Bee basic running problem - Page 2 Empty Re: Golden Bee basic running problem

Post  ffkiwi Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:58 pm

DaveyMo wrote:Ah, now we’re talking! I swapped out the needle to an older version and she runs just fine. Sweet motor it is. Thanks, Chris.

Balogh: The P-C are very clean. Like so many of the Cox 049s here stateside, the parts I have come from motors run only once or twice. I have a source for an original Number 2 cylinder and I might go with that for longer flights.

Dave Mo…

Davey Mo-its the little things like this that can catch you out-and you only find out by chance..or by someone who's been there before telling you. An analagous situation arises with the British DC engines-which if you're unfamiliar with them, ranged from the Bambi of 0.15cc thru, 0.5, 0.75, 0.76, 0,.8, 1 1.5 2.5 3.5 and 5cc...at various times. we'll forget about the Bambi and 3.5 and 5cc models-(which used their own unique NVAs)-but the 0.5-2.5cc range -often branded as DC Quickstart -all used what appeared to be the same needle valve assembly-totally conventional-a brass spraybar and nut, a steel needle and an alloy thimble, with a two sided tension spring-all very distinctive as a 'DC NVA'....except that there was one subtle difference-the length of the tapered portion of the needle projecting past the thimble. is different -depending on the size of engine-so one size fits the smaller 0.5 and 0.76cc dart and Merlin, a different -but otherwise identical sized unit-except for the needle length-fit the bigger spitfire and Sabre models You can see a repro one here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116245172240?itmmeta=01J4AVDB0T3ZRWV6QJ52Z680H3&hash=item1b10c09010:g:WYIAAOSwB1Vgios2&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0BxHpNaPqTNJg4YhidbMO6QNEFIKht57%2F9TwXTLWqNfq1XUNFPht6cF3q%2FchOkuKBOkdSrBQZIv

You can imagine that if the needles are swapped-things will be quite different in terms of settings-even though the functionality of the needle is unaltered-a 0.5 diesel needs a lot less fuel every revolution than a 1.5cc one. Again something you only find out the hard way-and because the needles are visually indistinguishable at a glance-you only notice the difference if you compare two different ones side by side...

ChrisM
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Golden Bee basic running problem - Page 2 Empty Re: Golden Bee basic running problem

Post  rdw777 Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:35 am

Excellent tip Chris….. Going in my repairs file!!….. I haven’t ran into that one before but I could see it being very frustrating if one didn’t know …. Thanks for sharing it Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2