Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star Cox_ba12

Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by rdw777 Today at 12:05 pm

» some pics....
by rdw777 Today at 11:48 am

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by balogh Today at 8:40 am

» Cox Rivets OWNERS FLIGHT MANUAL
by roddie Today at 8:22 am

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:30 am

» WILLY NILLY
by MANDALAY Yesterday at 7:28 pm

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:54 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Thrust Washer
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 8:25 am

» Peewee power
by Coxfledgling Yesterday at 3:46 am

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:51 pm

» Ode to a dead cat
by GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:11 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star Empty
Live on Patrol

Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star

Go down

Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star Empty Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:54 pm

Had this shipped to my son, to pick up when I visited him. Some may recall my post made about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I couldn't locate it, so I am starting a new thread.

On E-Bay I found an NOS kit of this unusual aircraft, which sort of resembles a Scientific Zipper with its swept wings, but has tip tanks like some of the earlier straight wing jet fighters. Just now have it opened with contents examined.

Although the shrink wrap appears to be aftermarket, like one would shrinkwrap kitchen items, the kit is complete down to the last nut and bolt.
Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star 09072410
Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star 09072411

I won it with the only bid of $50.00, after shipping and taxes, $67.82. As complete and as a good of a condition that it is, I am stoked.

This was an unusual acquisition as for some odd reason, there were no other bidders for it. Yet, the seller is considered faithful and very reputable I gather from feedback comments. The box was well wrapped and arrived undamaged by USPS.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star Empty Re: Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star

Post  rdw777 Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:37 pm

Nice acquisition of 1/2A history George !! Looks like they were aiming at OK Cub with engine specced from .039 to .074….  Looks like maybe an .049 A in the instructions …. Is there a date anywhere?……The plastic parts look well made….Think you will build it?…A plastic and balsa hybrid, Cool!….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:49 pm

Very sleek and slender  model George, I can see myself flying it as an RC bird.. RC Plane
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:59 pm

balogh wrote:Very sleek and slender  model George, I can see myself flying it as an RC bird.
Thanks, András. It could probably do R/C, but I want to keep it as C/L. Wingspan is nominally 17 - 20 inches. May one day make a winning Cox Engine of the Month background.

Thanks, Robert. I looked all over the box and instructions, but no dates from what I could see. My guesstimation is maybe late 1950's to early 1960's. Scientific kits designed in that time frame still seemed to show a lot of OK Cubs gracing their build completion photos on boxes and plans.

I think a lot of that changed by the mid 1960's.

Not in a position yet where I can concentrate on getting back to builds. Do sometime future plan to build it.

These are valuable collectables to us who remember them, but to most it sparks no interest. It's why we see a lot of baby boomer estate sales of these items bypassed by the kids and grandkids out of lack of interest, purchased by bargain hunters in lots, who again resale on Internet auction sites.

Bob Marley remains in chains to wander the skies of yesteryear, empty model shops and home workbenches. If only these kids built these. Sad Laughing

When I do get around to it, would like to template the parts so one could clone one or a reasonable facsimile in balsa, even if a profile fuselage flyer.

Do want to add, box included a British Merco yellow molded C/L control handle. I think that it probably didn't come with the kit, but someone placed it in the box sometime in its past history.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 07, 2024 4:49 pm

George, I would attend our club meetings which was very close to Penn Valley Hobby Shop. We would meet at the hobby shop, gather up what we needed as we were nearing closing time. Bill, would come out of the back and remind us that he needs to eat dinner as well so wrap it up fellows. There were probably 20 of these Consolidated kits on the shelves. I can't even fathom how many Enterprise kits of various types. In addition, a Scientific kit would end up on these shelves as well. We all passed them by as if they never existed. The drawers of Cox parts that were close by as well. There was so much, I never even knew where to look. None of us gave it a thought that is until it's gone.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 07, 2024 5:01 pm

"Bob Marley remains in chains to wander the skies of yesteryear, empty model shops and home workbenches."

I love it George. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Sep 07, 2024 5:15 pm

COOL!!! Cool The colors are already there.. why not replicate a Blue Angels Lockheed T33 "Shooting Star".... Eyebrows

Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star Blue_a12
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:46 pm

Bob, am glad you recognized my adapting, but your mind is sharper than mine even though you're the senior in our group. My bad, it is Jacob Marley, not Bob, the Ghost of Christmas past from Charles Dickens' 1843 novel, A Christmas Carol. Cool

https://www.britannica.com/topic/A-Christmas-Carol-film-1951

Yup, Jacob Marley chained with unbuilt model kit boxes and unused engine boxes hanging at the end of his chains. Surprised Warning us of what's to happen if we don't build those kits and use those engines.  Smoking

(We could build on this with 3 visits from the Ghost of Cox Engines Past, the Ghost of Cox Engines Present, and the Ghost of Cox Engines Future. - Post note)  Smoking

Roddie, that is a novel idea of adapting a Blue Angels color theme. However, the fuselage bottom is blue, the fuselage top is yellow. Tank tips are blue. Not sure how one could complete it Navy style. Wings almost demand a contrasting color, maybe silver? Much to ponder. Very Happy

Ken, being slightly older and much more intimate with the background on this kit, thanks for your citeful past. Yes, Penn Valley Hobby, used to occassionally buy items from them over the years, stuff that other mail order houses didn't stock. Sad to see both pass on.

Last thing I bought from them was the Enterprise box full of small and larger half-A clear plastic canopies, pilot busts, and I forget what else. That was maybe 8 years ago. Stuff useful for these Scientific hollow log kits, and anything even rubber powered, like remaking the old Frog and Veron rubber powered walnut scale stuff.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  049kid Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:49 pm

Hey George and friends,when I saw the sonic star kit I said wow I have that kit.im going to dig through my tubbies full of old kits.its complete when I find I wonder if it has the Merco c/l handle.also would I use testors red to glue the plastic parts.
049kid
049kid
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Sep 08, 2024 3:00 pm

049kid wrote:Hey George and friends,when I saw the sonic star kit I said wow I have that kit.im going to dig through my tubbies full of old kits.its complete when I find I wonder if it has the Merco c/l handle.also would I use testors red to glue the plastic parts.
Hey, that would be great! Very Happy I love it when we resurrect other half-A model kits and plans that were typical for the times then, but hardly are ever heard of now.

Yes, and I am wondering if that Merco C/L handle was by chance or perhaps Consolidated found a good price on them and thus imported a large stash to incorporate with their kits. There's no mention on the box, so I think this may be more by chance, but if your kit has it, then it wasn't by chance.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down