Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Cox_ba12

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» some pics....
by balogh Today at 12:47 am

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:27 am

» Thrust Washer
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:02 pm

» Needle-Valve extensions (yellow) for Killer Bee
by EXModelEngines Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by balogh Yesterday at 1:40 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 12:28 pm

» cox tee dee 010 pulling a Roaring 20 I have reconstructed after the previous one was lost
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:08 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:32 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:45 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:04 pm

» Storage boxes for cox engines and parts
by GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:38 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Empty
Live on Patrol

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.

Go down

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Empty The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:01 am

Discussed here a few times on Off-Topic, it's been quite popular within the family and friends.  A gathering spot for good times, shoot a little pool, a beer or two.  Friends get their names posted on the Coca-Cola board.  Built in 1950 as a hunters cabin, (my son has researched it) it has fallen into disrepair.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018095

Carpenter Bees, Mice, Squirrels and birds have nested.  The exterior is a sieve, holes everywhere so my son and I are doing something about it.  

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Cabin_20
The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Cabin_21
The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Cabin_22

Little fella checking us out

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Cabin_23
The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Cabin_24
The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Cabin_25

Construction techniques are early pioneer.  I think the builder used the leftovers from a deconstructed barn.  We will insulate (can't user faced fibreglass as the voids are to irregular) and sheet with specially finished OSB board.  

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018097
The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018096

I used the Jackson - in back yard - (thanks roddie) to haul the nesting remains out to the burn pile and covered the window openings with sheet vinyl until we have the time to button it up.  Lot's of 1X4,1X2 and 2X4's to go.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018098

Zip system OSB board.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Img7-z10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Empty Re: The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:49 am

Got a start on the insulation yesterday.  My son shows up today with lumber.  Hopefully we will get it sheeted up before rains arrive later this week.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018106
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Empty Re: The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.

Post  getback Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:12 am

Yea looks like it needed some serious help , Good on you and son (Mark) to bee fixing her up . I had a dream at one time to make a block building back on the 7 acres where we and the boys use to do some camping and drinking , Fun times !
The one year we decided to make a date every time for the next outing and stick to it for a year no wining weather good, bad, indifferent ... Well started out with about 10 snowing RAIN hotter than a hammer strike we did it at the end there were only 3 of us!!! If you miss one you don't get to come back LOL We had GOOD EATS too even had tacos one time just to break the steak trend Very Happy Very Happy  Sadly several of the friends are dead and gone to the master now ..
I can see you and Mark and some them kids staying in the cabin for some over nite fun !!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:39 am

getback wrote:Yea looks like it needed some serious help , Good on you and son (Mark) to bee fixing her up .  

I agree with Eric... and you're definitely right; better to do it now, before the weather/season turns. It looks as though the roof isn't in too bad a shape though.

"Time Passes" (thread-link)

My youngest Brother "Jeff" built a cabin 10 or 12 years ago; just over the state-line (in Millville, MA) not too far from where Lynne and I live. It's an "EX-friend's" property... so he hasn't been there in probably 6 or 7 years now.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Photo-13

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Jeffs_13

Check-out the snow-blown trail.. (my old Simplicity machine did the job)

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Jeffs_12
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Awesome little project for you and Mark. Looking forward to the finished product.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:19 pm

Beautiful cabin(s) in the woods….. Looks peaceful and inviting….. Hopefully it’s cooling off a little to make the project more comfortable….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:49 am

I have used the Poly pro with good results down here. Lined my metal shed with it and keeps 85 inside on 99 days. Otherwise you can cook inside in the summer. Might want to put foil side towards inside heated area.

Used to call the siding like that board and batten, larger boards nailed up with a smaller batten nailed on the joint. Old western buildings show this often.  

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018106

Not familiar with the strand board siding, been out of it too long. Is it water resistant and covered with a finish venire?

As a side note whoever drew these plans needs his ass whopped. Convoluted cut up roofs with multiple Gable ends are ugly, harder to build and add numerious more leak areas. My Two Cents Ive worked on houses on Miami Beach built in the 30s with original roof, doors and windows.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Scree128

PS ladder is too short, danger, danger!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 29, 2024 12:10 pm

Ah CB, you are a tough observer.  Smile

Correct Poly Pro insulation is for the reflective side to be positioned out as I have it, but I also was afraid of rain before I finished and thought the reflective side to be more water proof.  

The manufacturer of the Zip System board says the green finish is water resistant.  It was put to the test as shortly after we finished as it just poured and poured.  Not complaining as we need the rain.  But it caught my Black & Decker Workmate outside and it got soaked expanding the plywood deck to the point where it must be replaced.

Yes -  crazy house picture taken from the Zip Systems web site.  

The ladder, yup.  Cut if off three times and it's still too short. (Old carpenters joke) I have a history with ladders.  My 10 footer (in the garage) gave way and I caught my ankle inbetween the rungs on the way down snapping it in half.  Got three plates and 13 screws in there holding it together.  

Bob

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018107
The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018108
The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018110

Definately came off a red barn somewhere in West Virginia back in the '50's.  Removed over a hundred nails, a no fun job.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018109
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:54 pm

Now that's quite a little restoration job! Looking great!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:49 am

Pretty big project for the two of you But you get some time together Smile Looking Good Bob and Mark!! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Sep 04, 2024 6:03 am

Is that a Honda carting a 4x8 sheet?? Impressive!

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018108
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 04, 2024 4:20 pm

Honda Ridgeline CB.  Mark bought it used.  100,000++ miles on it.  He does his own maintenance.  Say's he going to get a Toyota truck next.  

Hard work on the cabin about done.  A mixture of old and new.  Untreated pine should weather to match over time.  I wanted to burn it down and start from new.  They get this place when I kick and they like the vintage cabin effect.  Been there for the last 74+ years, one of the first buildings in this area.  They (Mark and wife) say new siding would make it look like a shed not a cabin. Got a point there.

Mark taped all the seams with weather proof tape.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Siding10

Window trim to go, roof trim paint to match.  Header and footer boards too.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018128

I had to get out the eight foot ladder, same one I snapped my ankle on between the rungs when I fell some 45 years ago.  Getting run over by a Cadillac as a kid didn't hurt as bad.  

Can't let a good ladder go to waste.  I repaired the folded leg with a 1X4 and some bolts.  

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018129
The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018130
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:49 pm

So.... that stove's not going to have to work so hard now.. It should get roasty-toasty in there!!

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1017917

Got any leftover wood; enough to build a farwood crib?

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Far_wo10

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. 20230233

I see a chiminea too.. but no farwood.. Laughing

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018110

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1017918
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:07 am

So, they can't spell "Firewood" correctly in Rhode Island........... Smile  Either that, or maybe a southern transplant.....

But..............did you catch the Jackson leaning up against the outdoor fireplace.  

Lot's of firewood has gone up in smoke in that indoor furance.  It has a dial in heat regulator.  Mark uses one of those commercial firelogs to get the oak started.  The wood crib is a great idea.  Used to be a staple in rural NH when I was growing up.  You don't see them so much anymore but a neighbor has a big one, used to feed his outdoor wood burning furnace that heats hot water piped into his house.

Inside not so neat anymore. I think we have all our tools in there.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018131
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:51 pm

Second window roughed in today, starting on exterior trim.  Used the air broom to blowout the cabin, shed and four car garage.  I was tracking sawdust everywhere.  Joan Baez pumping out protest songs on the stereo..................Gotta change that cassette...............

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018136
The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018138
The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018137

I could stain the new wood walnut to match, or old barn off silver, or..........maybe just leave it alone.  Trim paint is Walmart Guacamole, sort of a sick green, I like it but Son doesn't.  One gallon, it stays.  Mark blended in the old wood and new, wife likes the old cabin look.  We could have just as well had the sawmill cut us enough new wood to do the whole thing.  

I'm still looking for anything plumb or a square corner in this cabin.

Last edited by rsv1cox on Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Empty The Bedroom House

Post  roddie Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:50 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

I'm still looking for anything plumb or a square corner in this cabin.

That's OK Robert.. it's got charm..

When I was very young, our family used to rent a little cabin on U.S. Rt.6 in Buzzard's Bay, MA (Cape Cod). There was a gravel horseshoe-shaped drive with 6 or 7 little cabins there. A Mutual Petrol Station was where the office was. We called it "The Bedroom House". There's a petrol station still there.. but the lot is crumbled asphalt and empty now; where the cabins used to be. I've got a photo somewhere. It's the only photo of the 67 Buick LeSabre that we had. It was around 1971 and I was around 11 years old. My two younger brothers were 3 and 5. Probably cost $9 a night. I vividly remember the glass-globe fire extinguisher that hung high on a metal rack inside the front door. What I really looked forward to when we stayed there; was the go-cart track a little ways down the highway. Cool Cool Cool The track "Cartland" was still there and operating when I passed through earlier this Summer. It had been 30 years since I drove that stretch of road. It used to be the gateway to Cape Cod.. until I-495 extended further South; down to the Bourne Bridge at the Cape Cod Canal. It took away the charm.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:43 am

I miss the old gas stations. We saw many on our trip on old route 66 when we travelled fron New Hampshire to California back in 1953.

My '67 Buick LeSabre, a gift from my father-in-law. Big old four door that floated on wheels.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. 67_bui11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:02 am

rsv1cox wrote:I miss the old gas stations.  We saw many on our trip on old route 66 when we travelled fron New Hampshire to California back in 1953.  

My '67 Buick LeSabre, a gift from my father-in-law.  Big old four door that floated on wheels.  

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. 67_bui11

I found a scan/copy of that old photo. Our Buick was the same color.. but I think it was a 2-door? That's me and my two brothers standing in front of the "Bedroom House".. Smile

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. Bedroo10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:54 am

Two door or four door roddie the thing was a barge. By the time I got it the kids were all grown up, we used to stuff them in things like an English Ford, Fiat, Volkswagon, and Mercury Comet.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:56 pm

Early 1960's, my father had an English Ford when I was in elementary school, maybe age 6 or 7, it was a model from the 1950's. It was black with white trim. I remember him grinding valves manually on the kitchen table, to improve its running. Our trailer house felt more like the house in Jackey Gleason's Honeymooner TV series. Even had a small black and white TV set, maybe 13 inch on top of the refrigerator.

Funny how all 6 of us, 4 kids ages 2,3,4,6 fit in that small car. Travelled in it all the way from a small rural town near Petersburgh, VA to Altoona, PA for an extended weekend at grandma's.

Great grandma owned a small grocery store. I'd get free balsa gliders and cap bombs to play with. How I got started into planes. Nowadays all those "mom and pop" stores plentiful then are gone. The neighborhoods then all had character, kind of neat.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:53 pm

Kids over today, we cleaned the cabin up enough to shoot a little pool.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018158

Then after Tacos they went out on the pond and drowned some worms.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018157

Smores later tonight by the firepit.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:16 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Kids over today, we cleaned the cabin up enough to shoot a little pool.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018158
Very Happy Very Happy
Then after Tacos they went out on the pond and drowned some worms.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018157

Smores later tonight by the firepit.
Very Nice Robert , Looks Like You Really Are Living The Dream . Good For You
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:35 pm

Great thread, thanks for posting!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:33 am

Mark Boesen wrote:Great thread, thanks for posting!

Thanks Mark, it continues with my Mark on the ladder.  

Trim notched for the fake loft door.  Test fit.  Has to come down for painting.  75+ years since construction with barn lumber cut who knows when. Gray boards are what the PO replaced some 25 years ago.

The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018208
The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare. P1018207
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum