Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads Cox_ba12

WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» COX .020 POWERED SPEEDSTER
by 1/2A Nut Today at 3:34 pm

» The Wood Shovel
by rsv1cox Today at 3:09 pm

» Cox p39 Airacobra
by 1975 control line guy Today at 1:17 pm

» OK Cub .024
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:16 pm

» Cox NaBOO - Just in time for Halloween
by rsv1cox Today at 12:14 pm

» Pt19 pilot and windshield
by getback Today at 5:23 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Admin Yesterday at 10:45 pm

» BMFA. UK AUCTION
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Cox Star Cruiser Instruction/Manuel/Information
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:47 am

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by roddie Mon Oct 21, 2024 5:50 pm

» 049 Tee Dee needle valve bodies and 049 TD engines - Potential flaw
by Cox International Mon Oct 21, 2024 12:32 pm

» Stealth SB-X
by getback Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:15 am

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2024
MauricioB's

"Cox .049 Circa 1975, custom."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads Empty
Live on Patrol

WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads

Go down

WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads Empty WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads

Post  mike in SC Wed May 29, 2024 3:07 pm

I had trouble finding these thread sizes, especially the WenMac 049, so I wanted to record what I've found:

WenMac Mk III prop/crank thread = SAE 8-32
Cox Babe Bee 049 is SAE 5-40
My FOX 15x and 19 both have SAE 10-32 threads

(The FOX/MECOA manual for the 19 and 25 show a 1/4-28 thread, so must be multiple versions of that motor too...)

Wanted to share that info...

mike in SC
mike in SC
mike in SC
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads Empty Re: WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads

Post  rsv1cox Wed May 29, 2024 3:42 pm

Thanks Mike, I record those specs too, but then I lose them. Sad

Years ago when I started getting into this stuff I was surprised that Cox could get away with a 5 shaft compared to Wen and others that had thicker crankshafts. I have bent Cox shafts in mishaps but never a Wen. It only took a couple of Cox Babe Bee's at $3.95 each to stop flying over concrete. I could glue back together the Scientific Hollow Logs but not the cranks. No Bernie or Matt back then, or the internet..........but I could have ordered one from the factory. Never did. Just bought another.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads Empty Re: WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads

Post  roddie Wed May 29, 2024 6:14 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks Mike, I record those specs too, but then I lose them. Sad

Years ago when I started getting into this stuff I was surprised that Cox could get away with a 5 shaft compared to Wen and others that had thicker crankshafts.  I have bent Cox shafts in mishaps but never a Wen.  It only took a couple of Cox Babe Bee's at $3.95 each to stop flying over concrete.  I could glue back together the Scientific Hollow Logs but not the cranks.  No Bernie or Matt back then, or the internet..........but I could have ordered one from the factory.  Never did.  Just bought another.

Thanks Mike 1st off.. and Robert; you have a way of describing events "in text".............. that put me right there with you.. sharing your experience. I've never flown over concrete Robert. Only recently (within 5 years) was my 1st flight over asphalt.. and it was my first flight in 15+ years and I haven't flown since then...

Mike, I appreciate this post. I'm a #'s guy.. and enjoy knowing the specs. on my model-engines especially. The Cox .09 engines (TeeDee and Medallion) utilize a 6-32 prop-screw.

I try to maintain a stock of nuts and bolts (machine-screws) in the 2-56, 3-48, 4-40, 5-40, 6-32, 8-32 sizes for my American-made/small-displacement (1/2A) glow engines. I usually opt for the longest-length machine screws.. and cut/dress them shorter.. if needed.

Last edited by roddie on Wed May 29, 2024 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads Empty Thread sizes for popular engines... possibly an Amazon assortment...?

Post  mike in SC Wed May 29, 2024 6:38 pm

I didn't know what Medallion and TeeDee were, thanks for that!

Wonder if Amazon has an assortment that would include those sizes of nuts?

Sometimes I get concerned I could strip threads if I tighten the prop nut too tight...

Have you ever used "stand-off" nuts?  Not sure which sizes may be available, but they are longer than standard and would engage more threads.  Supposedly full bolt strength (for steel) is achieved with 1 to 1.5 times the root diameter of the bolt... so many of those prop nuts look like jam nuts, seem kinda thin!
Standoff nuts are used in electronics a good bit, and can be found on Amazon.

WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads Stando10
mike in SC
mike in SC
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed May 29, 2024 7:34 pm

mike in SC wrote:I didn't know what Medallion and TeeDee were, thanks for that!

Standoff nuts are used in electronics a good bit, and can be found on Amazon.

That's the ".09's" @ 6-32... the .049/.051 Medallions/Tee Dees have the the 5-40 screws.. as do the reed valve variants in that displacement.

I do like stand-off nuts.. but I've never seen one that wasn't metric. Not saying that SAE's don't exist.. but I've never searched for one.

I like the Cox 5-40 threaded spinner-nuts that utilize a 5-40 double-ended stub-shaft. You can really tighten a prop when using one. Incidentally; CEF member Levent Suberk posted recently.. about his using the rubber from "party-balloons" cut into a disc to fit between a TeeDee style AL. spinner and the propeller-hub.. to prevent the loosening of a propeller.. particularly if running a "reedie" with a L/H prop.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down