Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Cox_ba12

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:30 am

» WILLY NILLY
by MANDALAY Yesterday at 7:28 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by MANDALAY Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:54 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 10:11 am

» Thrust Washer
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 8:25 am

» some pics....
by balogh Yesterday at 6:18 am

» Peewee power
by Coxfledgling Yesterday at 3:46 am

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:51 pm

» Ode to a dead cat
by GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:11 pm

» So Cool If you haven't seen it
by getback Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Empty
Live on Patrol

Recent engine acquisitions

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Empty Re: Recent engine acquisitions

Post  KariFS Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:04 pm

Cool stuff Eric!

Here is my latest addition:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 61275810

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 B9b0d710

I didn’t really find it, it found me... a fellow hobbyist was getting rid of some old stuff and asked me via pm at the Finnish model plane forum what a fair asking price would be for this kind of an engine. I gave some examples and also made an offer, saying ”well, you’ll get at least this for it”. He offered to send it to me for inspection, and ”if I still think it is worth that”, he’ll send his payment details. Pretty fair, huh?

The pics are from right after the arrival, I have not yet checked the internals, but I like it already Thumbs Up I will make it a runner, if it is in a good mechanical condition, but am sort of debating if I should leave it as it is or mildly customize it by sanding the damaged tank fins smoother and polishing all the high parts of the fins, kinda like Valentine style Huh...

We’ll see. But I am pretty happy with this one Very Happy
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Looks like a decent deal to me. Not looking for a pristine shelf queen, but a darn good looking runner! I never knew I needed a RR-1 till I joined this group. (grin)

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Well if yur going to run it Not bad if under 125.00 usd , i just missed out on this i want a earlier white frt. end .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MODEL-AIRPLANE-MOTORS-X-3-LN-/293030143724?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true Crazy Eyes Beers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Hope I didn't bid against you on that silver RR-1. I didn't win it either.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Nice Pee-Wee collection Eric. I have one here that needs some work, but just to look at it is aww inspiring at just the size alone.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aungmyatoo Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:47 am

I also bid that silver RR1, but didn't win. Mine limit is $120.
aungmyatoo
aungmyatoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:11 am

Jason_WI wrote:Hope I didn't bid against you on that silver RR-1. I didn't win it either.
I don't worry about that to much (reason i don't publish it here cause i think it invites more Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:21 am

getback wrote:
Jason_WI wrote:Hope I didn't bid against you on that silver RR-1. I didn't win it either.
 I don't worry about that to much (reason i don't publish it here cause i think it invites more Laughing

X2 Eric......great minds............... Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:33 am

Inspired by the picture of Bob’s winter projects in another thread, here is what I have been doing in this front over the winter:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 25aa7c10

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 87fa9010

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 42648610

I modified my other Dragonfly to have a home made heavy-duty driveplate (ground the hex shape off and polished) and a no-drag spring. The other one remained original.

The ”project engine box” is getting less than half full, sort of worrying situation, although lately I have been messing with a slightly larger engine:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 9d844e10

Starter clutch repair, ”the other clutch” overhaul with new heavy duty springs and friction plates, took apart and greased the swingarm bearings, polished the previously painted and peeling engine sides and mounted them with the correct JIS screws, replaced contact breakers, adjusted valves and cam chain, replaced rear tire and air filters and what have you. Runs like a champ although it was too cold and dark to ride more than 10 miles Cold

The next patient is waiting on the operation table in the background. Gearbox trouble DAMMIT! Well that’s what you get when you buy a bike that does not run well enough to ride Sad  The Classic ”carburetor trouble” that is used to mask all kinds of stuff. Well, it is a beauty and was priced right, and this is a hobby after all, right?
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:43 am

Love those engines Kari, each one is a work of art.

Love the Honda 360 too. They are so nicely put together and most (starter equipped) start even before you get your finger off the starter button.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:58 am

Beautiful restorations Kari congrats. The few small toolmarks on COX cylinders will quickly disappear with the application of some gunblue liquid.

The Honda beef up is also thrilling. I also replaced the oil pump in my small MSX125 with a high flow Kitaco pump to improve lubrication and internal cooling...not that this small motorcycle shows any signs of inconvenience...I put more than 10k on its clock in the past 2 years.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:44 pm

my guess .....looks like back end of Harley FXR or Dyna....92~94
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Thanks friends! Need to get some of that gun blue stuff. Andras, can you recommend a brand available here in the EU?

Bob, yes, the fit&finish on the Honda is amazing. Beautiful piece of engineering. I have a 125 of the same year, 1973, my daily ride when I was 16-17 years old. As standard it looks a lot like the 350 but about 85% scale. Compared to those the Harley is a bit of a brute, a lot heavier built, but the bruteness and simpler, more robust engineering are a big part of its appeal.

Fred, the Harley is not a Big Twin but an ’83 XLS1000 Roadster, a variant of the Ironhead Sportster. It has an FXR style fuel tank and colour scheme, unique seat, highway pegs, a +2” front end (although the one on mine looks standard) and maybe some other stuff but underneath it is an Ironhead. I like the big tank, maybe not as Classic as the little one on a standard Sportster, but way more practical as far as the range goes.

Here’s a better pic, just rolled on the freshly cleaned op table. There are some dings and scratches and some ”patina” on it, but other than the gearbox and the paint on the frame it is pretty well preserved for a 36 year old bike. I will keep the colour parts original, but clean up everything else.

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 09240b10
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:54 am

My second Harley was a new 1993 FXR ..I think 1994 was last of the FXR series.....funny how the 83 sportster is so close to my 10 year later 93 FXR......

dang I owned a lot of motorcycles but never did get some I always wanted....Norton's Triumph's, Ducati's yadda yadda.....

Puch 50CC moped
RODE MY friends 2.5HP BRIGGS EL TACO mini bike all over the neighborhood
1972 Triumph Bonneville 650...blue white
Honda 450 twin
Kawasaki 500 triple
Kawasaki 750 triple
1976 Kawasaki 900 2nd year chain breaker
1977 Harley AMF FLH 1200CC POS
Honda 750
Honda 1000
Suzuki 1300
1993 Harley FXR 1340CC EVO (80 CI)
Harley 1200 sportster
Harley FXSB Breakout 110 CI
2014....april...down hard.... broken every thing
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Here's my wife's '85 XLS1000 Ironhead Sportster after I did a frame-up restoration on it.  1985 was the last year for the Ironhead engine, first year of the Evolution frame, so it's kind of a hybrid.  No chrome here.  Except for the pipes, it's all polished aluminum.  Chrome don't get ya home.
 Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Mvimg_10

Mama's a real iron butt babe.  Rode that hard-mount four speed lawnmower all the way from Dallas to Durango and back.  Second day was the hardest, 500 miles from Lubbock to Taos in the rain at 40 degrees F.  Into each ride a little rain must fall I guess.

My scooter's in the foreground, a '94 FXRP.  You're right Fred, '94 was the last year for the FXR, except for a couple of limited edition Lowriders HD built in '98 or so.
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Mvimg_11

This is what it's all about.
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Mvimg_12
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:39 pm

Well if we're having a Ironhead session here's my 80 XLS1000 I bought in 1999. Had one or three mods to it since then.
Best mod I did was fitting a mid-glide kit to the forks (2" wider)so I could fit some four pots on the front.

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 1980_x10
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 1980_x11
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Empty Tee Dee tidy up

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:38 am

Well that just sucks.  I attached my pictures, wrote out most of my post, and the power goes out.  Power back on an hour later, and most of my post is still there! Whew!!  Clapping  Finished it up, hit "Send", and I don't know where I sent it, but it aint here Sad

A while back I picked up a couple of Tee Dees, an .049 and an .09.  It was time to tidy up the .049.  I'd only ever run it off a prime, but is shows promise.  Still trying to figure out if it's an .049 with a red carb body or an .051 with an .049 cylinder.  Anyway, it's going to be an .049.  Cylinder looks correct but has no number 4 stamped.  Piston nips nicely at the top of the cylinder, so it seems like it may be tapered.

Sorry about the poor pictures- cheap phone.
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Img_2015
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Img_2016
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Img_2014
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Img_2017
Anyway, I had no issues dismantling it.  Everything was firm, but loosened easily without heat- no burrs.
Carb body was starting to crack and missing the starter peg, so a new black one is on the way.  Just need to reset the rod, tidy the plier marks off the cylinder and re-blue it.  Next comes the .09, Carb body is falling apart, so I'll get one for that as well.  

Hope to have some time to catch up with the odd job over the next couple of months.  One more week of work before a couple of months (potentially) of recuperation following surgery on a dodgy elbow.  Can't get more than 90 degrees movement and very painful.  Surgeon described it as "carpentry".  A little sawing, chiselling and sanding, plus removal of a heap of "loose bodies" and I'll be right again.  Promised it will outlast me Thumbs Up

Anyway, first up there's a Ringmaster Bipe that needs finishing.  Hopefull won't need to do it one-handed. Smile

Nope, the system is still playing tricks on me.  I posted this as a new topic & somehow it ended up attached to this one. Mad
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:04 am

No worries Rod, your post fits well into this thread too. Although, I have been thinking about starting another thread for engine tidy-up write-ups, maybe your post would be a good start for such a thread Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:14 am

Well Rod i am Happy to see you are able to put some pics. up and getting some Fun in your life , looks like a TD.049 since there is no ring on the piston. Sorry to hear about the elbow but getting it fixed will feel better Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:54 am

KariFS wrote:Inspired by the picture of Bob’s winter projects in another thread, here is what I have been doing in this front over the winter:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 25aa7c10

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 87fa9010

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 42648610

I modified my other Dragonfly to have a home made heavy-duty driveplate (ground the hex shape off and polished) and a no-drag spring. The other one remained original.

The ”project engine box” is getting less than half full, sort of worrying situation, although lately I have been messing with a slightly larger engine:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 9d844e10

Starter clutch repair, ”the other clutch” overhaul with new heavy duty springs and friction plates, took apart and greased the swingarm bearings, polished the previously painted and peeling engine sides and mounted them with the correct JIS screws, replaced contact breakers, adjusted valves and cam chain, replaced rear tire and air filters and what have you. Runs like a champ although it was too cold and dark to ride more than 10 miles Cold

The next patient is waiting on the operation table in the background. Gearbox trouble DAMMIT! Well that’s what you get when you buy a bike that does not run well enough to ride Sad  The Classic ”carburetor trouble” that is used to mask all kinds of stuff. Well, it is a beauty and was priced right, and this is a hobby after all, right?
Hijacked Nice job on the engines Kari !!Got some good looking runners there Trolls
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:21 am

Hijacked Nice job on the engines Kari !!Got some good looking runners there Trolls

Guilty as charged.  Sorry Kari!  Lots of nice engines there.  Including the Honda and the HD.  Something about motorcycles does seem to bring us trolls out from under our rocks.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:35 am

No worries about hijacking lol!

Really nice Ironheads, Dave and Dave! Great to find out we have other common interests besides the little engines that are the main topic Very Happy I like the FXR too, that was one model (and the Dyna) I was looking at, but they are a little bit out of my price range, about three or four times what I paid for the XLS for a good example.

Fred has quite a list of bikes Thumbs Up  I also remember reading about Fred’s accident, riding is a risky activity in today’s traffic. Glad you made it alive.

I am not much of a biker myself, no Iron Butt (1000mi in 24hrs challenge) for me, I prefer ”Lard Butt”, which is max 100 miles a day with at least one stop for ice cream or a donut lol!

Seriously though, the Honda is my first ”real” motorcycle after the CB125 I had as a kid. I have had it for 6-7 years, and not covered a lot of miles. It has a range of about 100 miles and it is rather small (slightly cramped ride ergonomics) too, and the maximum comfortable speed is around 55mph, so I mostly just ride around the small roads for a couple of hours, stop for gas and head home. No touring for me, on that bike at least.

The Harley may change that. The ride position is roomier, the suspension feels better, the front is taller and probably protects from the wind somewhat and it definitely has ”longer legs” than Honda, with about 4000rpm at cruising speed. It does vibrate like a jackhammer though Shocked

But to get to ride the Harley, I’ll need to find the place for this part, it is small but it looks important:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Db87f210

Last edited by KariFS on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:54 am

Anyway, back to our regular program, here is the ”project engine box” I mentioned earlier. Three G-spotsMarks, a couple of Pee Wees, a Black Widow, a Tee Dee or two, a Queen Bee and some others. These will keep me busy for a while Very Happy

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 A676c010

Some of these I have had for years, some are more recent. Some engines I just HAVE to do right then and there, some have to wait for their turn longer.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:37 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
A while back I picked up a couple of Tee Dees, an .049 and an .09.  It was time to tidy up the .049.  I'd only ever run it off a prime, but is shows promise.  Still trying to figure out if it's an .049 with a red carb body or an .051 with an .049 cylinder.  Anyway, it's going to be an .049.  Cylinder looks correct but has no number 4 stamped.  Piston nips nicely at the top of the cylinder, so it seems like it may be tapered.

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Img_2015

Sad Sad Sad
So, after pulling the Tee Dee apart the other day, questioning whether it was an .049 or an .051, I'm now thinking it "was" an .051 and the red carb body was correct.  Turns out, sadly, that I don't have a Tee Dee cylinder on it- no booster flutes, just an ordinary old thin walled twin-bypass .049 cylinder.  A number 1 but with no number.
Ah well, that's what happens.

Anyway, I cleaned it up today.  Chucked it up in the drill press and hit the fins with a file and emery paper to get rid of the plier marks.  Polished it up nicely and gave it a quick "bluing".  Probably needs a couple more shots to darken it up a little.
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Img_2018
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Img_2019
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 14 Img_2020

Well, I know I have a #4 cylinder somewhere.  Came in a bunch of parts I bought years ago.  I built up an engine from spares, with the Tee Dee cylinder attached.  It fired up and absolutely screamed, but it was short lived.  For some reason it lost compression after one run only.  Haven't been back to it, so to make the Tee Dee a little more authentic, I'd better find it and match up a good fitting piston and see if I can find that lost compression.  New black carb body arrived today, so we're on our way.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:05 am

You need to preclude mismatched cylinder piston combos however your wind up reassembling the engine.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next