Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 Cox_ba12

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 010 head stops glowing
by cstatman Today at 3:46 pm

» Unique Foxie partzie. Potential fishing line/paper weight or something else.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:48 pm

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by rsv1cox Today at 2:42 pm

» Ignition Points for Ohlsson 23
by Ken Cook Today at 1:58 pm

» Modelsmodels
by Coxfledgling Today at 12:05 pm

» Cox P-40 Clone Project - I just can’t leave well enough alone.
by akjgardner Today at 10:32 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 9:29 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» some pics....
by roddie Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:22 am

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 8:58 am

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by Oldenginerod Yesterday at 7:30 am

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 Empty
Live on Patrol

Recent engine acquisitions

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 Empty Re: Recent engine acquisitions

Post  NEW222 Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Ok Ken. You peaked my interest, so I got up to do some digging. The base of the cylinder as is in your first picture is thin. I removed the glowhead, and it does have life in it! I put it beside the OK Cub .074, and it was close in size, very much more than beside the. OK Cub .049. The only thing that differs is that there is an ever so slight raised dimple on the top center of the piston. I would say about the same as I see in so excited for the Cox engines. Thanks for your help in id'ing the engine. Once I go through and clean and fix these up, I will bench run them all. Thenjoy I will try and find suitable airframe for them.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:41 am

Cool stuff guys! New's "box of treasures" are interesting... Before joining this forum I had no idea that there are (or were) so many other manufacturers of these little engines in addition to Cox.

And that Kobra! Our friend Ian presented one a while ago, been wanting one ever since. Fascinating little engine, I actually wish Cox had made one like it, or that there were an aftermarket crankcase available, that would accept parts of a "290" Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:04 am

NEW222 wrote:
Left to right, top row first
OK Cub 049A, OK Cub (model unknown), OK Cub .099, Ok Cub .074
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 Engine10
The unknown Cub will be their first model .049.  It is known as the "Long Stroke" model. The case is the same, I believe, as the .074.  The fuel tank as pictured fits both size engines. The first .049 takes a long glow plug wheras all subsequent .049s use a short plug. No parts are interchangeable between the first .049 and the .049B which followed.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:59 am

I bought on ebay recently, and the postman just delivered this brand new, very early ( early 1960-s) production TD049 featuring:
1. Beautifully contoured No. 4 thin wall cylinder without flats on the top fin for wrench:
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 15416915
Later cylinders were first stepped wall then thick wall and flats on top fins are on these later ones only.

2. Tapered fit piston with tight pinch on TDC. The piston has the balljoint cup swaged into the piston crown, unlike later pistons that have the cup machined from the piston parent material itself:
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 15416916

3. Oiling hole in rod big end:
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 15416917

4. Thin web on crankshaft. Later production runs had the web thickened and a No2 stamped on the crankcase mounting bar:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 15416918

5. No screen on venturi intake...screens appeared first around 1972-3:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 15416919

Many of the above design features were changed over time as operating experience and cost cutting efforts dictated, including thick wall cylinder, thicker web, tapered piston- cylinder fit and oil hole abandoned etc.

All in all a nice historical relic I have been looking for long.

Last edited by balogh on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:33 pm

Congrats on the find, balogh. No doubt the thinner profile was intended to produce a powerful lightweight engine. I imagine Cox engineers listened to top contestants for comments and resulting metal thickening came as a result for engine improvements.

I still like the older earlier engines, they are classics.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:19 pm

RE: Collection of Cubs-- especially .074. Does anybody have any extensive experience with these. I have a few of them (most in very good condition) and I have yet to run one that will put out any more wind than just an average .049B or A. I can't even find an advantage using a 7" prop. What was the point of this engine?
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 15416915

That is a beautiful engine Andras! I agree the early engines have the purest form. Did you notice the early style Tee Dee head? My QZ came with one, and I replaced it with a new one because it was dirty Embarassed After looking at the cleaned up engine for a while thinking ”why does it look out of place?” I realized that the early High compression head looks different. It is externally just like a 302, but with the knurling. So I cleaned up and installed the original head, much better.

I have a couple of .051 versions with the step style cylinder (never understood the point of that shape), but haven’t come across one of those really early versions. Maybe I should start browsing eBay too Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks GallopingGhostler and Kari...I like the classic contour of thin wall COX cylinders as they resemble the 4-stroke knuckle-head cylinders of old Harley Davidsons.

Kari I read somewhere that when COX realized the weakness of thin wall cylinders and wanted to increase wall thickness, the recess/groove seen under the exhaust ports on the step wall cylinders was machined because the honing tool required that groove. The later tools were different and the groove became obsolete and the thick wall cylinder was born.

Also thanks for calling my attention ho the high compression head on this engine! It really shows a different knurling than what we know on latest HC heads!

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 15417110
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:23 pm

Duke prototyped the engine as a .049 for Comet, but switched to .07 once production started, after Comet they were sold as a 'hobby' engine and later sold as a .049

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 Fox_0410
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 am

Thats my favorite TD .049 and keep an eye for them. The cylinder has 4 boost flute also, no?
Need a similar Medallion to go with it.

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 Td210
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:06 am

Yes it is No4 cylinder with 2 bypass and 2x2 booster flutes. Good luck for finding one they are rather rare find though..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:41 am

I find them but they always get a high bid so I'm not the only one looking. lol!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:30 am

Mine was a good deal at 42 bucks plus shipment
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:41 am

ticomareado wrote:RE: Collection of Cubs-- especially .074. Does anybody have any extensive experience with these. I have a few of them (most in very good condition) and I have yet to run one that will put out any more wind than just an average .049B or A.  I can't even find an advantage using a 7" prop. What was the point of this engine?

Don't have one of those, but have several A.C. Gilbert .074 Thunderheads. That was fairly typical for the day that the .074's produced the power of a Cox .049 Babe Bee, another reason why Cox dominated along with Cox's lower price. This is why Walt Musicano's Scientific CL designs designated engine range from .020 to .074. As in all, engines are usable if fitted to the right airframe.
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 2018-119
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:11 am

Mudhen wrote:
KariFS wrote:...I have a couple of .051 versions with the step style cylinder (never understood the point of that shape)...
Cox used the stepped, (grooved,) cylinder to provide a bearing surface the speed control sleeve.
It started with the throttle controlled P-40, (350-2,) that was released in mid-1968.
At the time it was referred to as a "Special Cylinder."

Yes, I understood why the thick part appeared, but not why the thin area remained Very Happy

balogh wrote:
Kari I read somewhere that when COX realized the weakness of thin wall cylinders and wanted to increase wall thickness, the recess/groove seen under the exhaust ports on the step wall cylinders was machined because the honing tool required that groove. The later tools were different and the groove became obsolete and the thick wall cylinder was born.

That is probably the reason, makes sense definitely. Many times when there is an odd feature like that, one that does not improve the aesthetics, and does not make sense when engineering of the final product is considered, the reason lies somewhere in manufacturing and tooling.

I always figured, if you need the cylinder to be thicker at the exhaust port area than at the bottom flange, why still machine a groove and a flange Huh... Engineers are lazy, drawing extra lines is laborous, manufacturing hates extra phases in machining and bean counters hate unnecessary cost. But if they had an expensive honing tool or a fixture, they probably wanted to get all the ”mileage” out of it before scrapping.

Learn something new every day I Love This Forum!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:07 pm

I got home last Friday and my wife asks, ”have you ordered cigars from America?”. I am like ”uh... huh? What?”

Here’s what I found:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 379dee10

Turns out it is a surprise present from a fellow in Texas, here’s what was in it:

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 Da23f610

Three cool little engines and a stack of propellers. A Tee Dee 049, a Black Widow with a 5-fin Texaco head, and what looks like a Norvel AME 049 or 061. And check out that military patch, it is the patch of the ”Company E "Chaos," 227th Aviation Regiment, 7th Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment” that operate the ”Gray Eagle” UAV. Looked it up, really fascinating technology, a diesel-engine-equipped unmanned aircraft that can operate up to 50 hours, either reconnaisance/overwatch operations or actual attack missions.

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 A30a2310

The Tee Dee has an aftermarket NVA with the 128tpi needle, always wanted one of those!

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 12f7b310

And the AME, never seen one ”in person” before. That rectangular intake is huge! The sandblasted case and overall ”no nonsense” functional attitude is very cool. The engine is also surprisingly light compared to the other two Soviet engines I have (a CSTKAM and a MAP3 ”MARZ”, both 2.5cc).

Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 56b0e310

Here are the propellers, the two small ones look like they have been modified, possibly for speed flying?

Also, stuck in the tape of the bubble wrap there was a little vintage Top Flite nylon prop, not in the pictures. I already mounted it on my Space Bug Jr, you’ll see it in an EotM pic cavalcade soon Very Happy

So once again, big Thanks to our friend in Texas!

(Not sure if you wanted to stay anonymous, so I withheld the name for now)
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Begs the question, does Santa live in Texas............only he arrives via the mailbox rather than the chimney. Either way it's fun times.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:12 pm

Looking at what you received it’s pretty easy to figure out where it came from. Very Happy

I have a hunch that same Santa gifted me a Super Tigre .35
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Yea Looks Fast to me Great stuff man i think someone is trying to get ur butt in the Air !! lol! I meant to say Help U !! Very Happy Man That's just Christmases E This Site Rocks! Christmas Tree
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 am

Out here in po dunk rural Texas I have two post offices to use... my county road is exact half way between the two....Lampasas PO serves 7000+ town and usually has a line....the Kempner PO serves 1500 folks and most days I am only one in line

All of our family is distributed around the globe.. so we mail out a lot of stuff every month...in fact we have a budget item called postage

Over the years now as CEF guy I have sent gifts around the world, Singapore, Australia, Germany, England...and now Finland...my postal lady at the Kempner post office and I have great fun figuring out the right customs form and the correct set of lies so the recipient does not get slammed with what ever value added tax (VAT) or country specific import tariff on the items

and one must be crafty and vague else claiming one thing but sending another becomes a federal and international crime...and that dear sirs is why on a customs form they demand you the senders perfect identity and contact information....

so the gift went as "misc model airplane repair parts" value under $20 US....there is/are no lies in that declaration....

I follow 5 different forums...lots of between the lines things to learn... we all know some poor customer that did not get a model airplane engine from e-bay because they (we still do not know who THEY is/are)  confiscated it as not exportable or not importable for what ever stupid reason

Thus it seems to me not very wise to declare any internal combustion engine as a complete model engine

I am confident if some customs agent arrested me---- my lawyer could easily describe each of the items I sent as repair parts listed in multiple catalogs as replacement or repair parts...for a lager assembly

So Now I am just rambling...wet cold day

If you are ever the recipient of one of my boxes of goodies...Trust me! I do not need any reciprocal gift...if you must ----pay it forward

CRS is such that I should have kept a list--- as right now, I do not remember if I have sent any thing to Budapest Hungry

Last edited by fredvon4 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:23 am

Thanks Fred! I will pay it forward, someday, somehow This Site Rocks!

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:31 am

My friend- and flying buddy while he was assigned to Fort hood --is Sean McEntee...

His dad is a member here but does not participate in CEF --he had items he thought we would be interested in to buy

Any way, Sean is now a E -7 platoon sergeants who fly's the Grey Eagle (and others) UAV, and he has an impressive (OK this is not PC ) number of successful missions...you read between those lines

His last deployment he took a Brodak electric Ring Master ARF and flew it on the RM marathon week end

That patch is from his unit here at fort hood...He is now assigned to Ft Carson Colorado

I was in the 1st Cav  4th Aviation Brigade, 227th Battalion, twice in my career... Sean sent me several of those real cool patches...was pretty sure KariFs would get a kick out of it and did exactly what I assumed...googled it...too cool
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 am

fredvon4 wrote:

…….CRS is such that I should have kept a list--- as right now, I do not remember if I have sent any thing to Budapest Hungary

Yes Fred you indeed sent me a COX 09 muffler plus one for an Enya and I remain obliged for your generous gift!!! Very Happy
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:49 am

Got theses a few weeks ago , haven't had time to play with them Yet I was getting down to only a few Pee Wee's  Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 Ptdc0127Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 Ptdc0130
Recent engine acquisitions - Page 13 Ptdc0128
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Now i got i think 4 of the .049 medallion slide throttled ones St.Pats Beers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next