Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fuel for testors .049 Cox_ba12

Fuel for testors .049 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» COX .020 POWERED SPEEDSTER
by 1/2A Nut Today at 3:34 pm

» The Wood Shovel
by rsv1cox Today at 3:09 pm

» Cox p39 Airacobra
by 1975 control line guy Today at 1:17 pm

» OK Cub .024
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:16 pm

» Cox NaBOO - Just in time for Halloween
by rsv1cox Today at 12:14 pm

» Pt19 pilot and windshield
by getback Today at 5:23 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Admin Yesterday at 10:45 pm

» BMFA. UK AUCTION
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Cox Star Cruiser Instruction/Manuel/Information
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:47 am

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by roddie Mon Oct 21, 2024 5:50 pm

» 049 Tee Dee needle valve bodies and 049 TD engines - Potential flaw
by Cox International Mon Oct 21, 2024 12:32 pm

» Stealth SB-X
by getback Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:15 am

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2024
MauricioB's

"Cox .049 Circa 1975, custom."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fuel for testors .049 Empty
Live on Patrol

Fuel for testors .049

Go down

Fuel for testors .049 Empty Fuel for testors .049

Post  049kid Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:41 pm

Hi everyone this forum is great, I'm still learning to post messages.I remember someone saying castor in a testors would foul spring starter,do I just increase syn lube.
049kid
049kid
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Fuel for testors .049 Empty Re: Fuel for testors .049

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:39 pm

It was a factory recommendation found in one of the later instruction sets, The discussion is somewhere in this forum. The Rotomatic spring starter, an amazing development on these engines (frictionless in forward motion but engaging in rearware motion) is hard to free up once clogged up with dry aged Castor oil residue.

What you lose is Castor oil protection against a lean overheating condition, which led to excessive wear and potential engine damage.

Bob @rsv1cox has developed a successful methodology in freeing up these gunked up engines by soaking them in Chemtool carburetor cleaner dip. His methodology seems the best by not doing a full disassembly of the engine, which is easy to damage, not designed to be disassembled like other engines.

Our recommended fuel for Coxes is 20% oil, which is 50/50 Castor oil and synthetic oil. This differs from earlier recommendation of 100% Castor oil fuel of the 1970's and prior. (I used a lot of the old stuff.)

The "Cox" blend mitigates frequent disassembly of the Cox engine to devarnish the cylinder, which I did religiously after each couple month's flying, when I used the 100% Castor fuel. (I was devarnishing about every 5 - 6 weeks when flying daily. The engine wouldn't develop its full RPM scream, which means Castor build-up shellac.)

Most of my Testor .049 engines were later acquisitions, which were mostly test runs. However, there are others in this forum who have extensively flown with these engines and even adapted a method to mount the normally unmountable Testors "pipe bomb" donor engine from a wrecked and destroyed plastic RTF plane.

My gut level feelings are that most of these really gunked up Internet engine buys with frozen starters were engines that were heavily flown on the RTF's (ready to flies) of the day using fuel other than Testors. I haven't yet received a really gunked up engine in my Internet auction acquisitions, which probably means that these were donor engines from one shot flights. I also have two engines I bought new marketed for use in kits.

Use of "Cox" blended fuel with synthetic Castor oil blend and a shot of afterrun oil or say, Marvel Mystery Oil in the starter assembly after a day would be my methodology, but that's just me. (I live with my consequences. Very Happy )

You might locate these threads by using the "Google search" versus the "Inside" search, which does a slightly better job.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down