Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Hello guy's. So tell me about AP 061? Any tips and any issue I might go through? Cox_ba12

Hello guy's. So tell me about AP 061? Any tips and any issue I might go through? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:46 pm

» Betty Skelton
by roddie Today at 6:44 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by Ken Cook Today at 5:03 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Today at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Today at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Today at 10:30 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by roddie Today at 10:02 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Today at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Today at 7:46 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 7:19 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Hello guy's. So tell me about AP 061? Any tips and any issue I might go through? Empty
Live on Patrol

Hello guy's. So tell me about AP 061? Any tips and any issue I might go through?

Go down

Help! Hello guy's. So tell me about AP 061? Any tips and any issue I might go through?

Post  jcer93705 Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:40 am

Hello guy's. So tell me about AP 061? Any tips and any issue I might go through? TY Smile
jcer93705
jcer93705
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Hello guy's. So tell me about AP 061? Any tips and any issue I might go through?

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 20, 2024 5:48 am

Get rid of the aluminum head gasket when you take it out of the box and replace it with a Cox copper one. I would add a additional one for a few runs as it will assist in breaking in a new engine. Just to make you aware, you will have to open up the holes in your current propellers. The shaft of the AP is larger. I would also remove the backplate and inspect and wash out the inside of the case . The threads of the backplate area can be a bit crude. The AP glow head is a good design but it can be rather short lived. It's also not readily available. I generally replace it with a different head. The go to head was a Merlin which is no longer available but there are other options. A standard Cox glow head does fit the AP but it will have you down on power, a Cox high comp head can also work well. My preference is a Nelson head and plug. There's also a turbo plug option.

Generally, I use props of 5" diameter with these style engines and a pitch that's 3 and under. These engines turn up fairly high and using 6" props tends to hold them back a bit but for initial run to offer a bit of flywheel, a 6" prop isn't out of the question. APC props offer a variety but you will more than likely have to bush the hole with tubing either metal or silicone fuel tubing to size the hole properly to fit the shaft.

I made a venturi for my AP engines and never used the stock r/c carb. I've heard that the stock carb can leak air in multiple areas. Just something to watch for as it may require some playing around with tubing and possibly sealer to prevent unwanted air leaks.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Hello guy's. So tell me about AP 061? Any tips and any issue I might go through?

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:00 pm

Do a search on RCU, these engines were discussed there when they came out, about 15-20 years ago.

Here are some additional points (apart from what has already been mentioned) :
- the stock RC carb doesn't have any low end compensation or adjustment (add a fixed air-bleed).
- the crank to crankcase fit is a little too loose (use full castor fuel)
- the cylinder coating is nickel (not chrome) and it can start to peel off, just like it does on OS engines (again use full castor fuel)
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:15 pm

The $30 AP .061 was a good running engine for my "RC Combat Program".
The crankcase to crankshaft fit would be the first thing to fail.

They don't produce as much power as Norvel..but they worked great for RC Combat with 36 inch span flying wings towing about 20 feet of string and crepe paper streamer.
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down