Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Cox_ba12

THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WILLY NILLY
by MANDALAY Yesterday at 7:28 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by MANDALAY Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:54 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 10:11 am

» Thrust Washer
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 8:25 am

» some pics....
by balogh Yesterday at 6:18 am

» Peewee power
by Coxfledgling Yesterday at 3:46 am

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:51 pm

» Ode to a dead cat
by GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:11 pm

» So Cool If you haven't seen it
by getback Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!

Go down

THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Empty THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!

Post  TD ABUSER Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:50 am

OK...it's good to have goals....[but maybe I should he working with the best TD to begin with...?]

I took the PDF of the Believ plane and had it blown up 170% to produce this copy that turned out right at 26 inches.
What you see so far weighs 4 ounces.
The perimeter frame work is 1/8" thick balsa  [except  the trailing edge is a mixture of balsa and spruce].
That's a plywood bellcrank riding on a 3/32" aluminum welding rod axle.
This model is using .040" piano wire for a push rod which is as light as I dare go.
I plan on no leadouts...just make up  35 foot long lines that are permanently tied to the bellcrank.

The aluminum mount beams act as a heat sink and reduce vibration but I believe are heavier than similar sized maple.
The airfoil I kept constant thickness...so the airfoil is only 11% thick at the center rib but end up over 20% thick at the tips
THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Img_0646
THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Img_0647
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Empty Re: THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!

Post  TD ABUSER Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:43 pm

Today was spent building up a rounded nose, sheeting the wing, and doing all of the other little jobs that make it RTF.
Fortunately my wild guess for a CG worked...[I think].
The only engine I have ready to fly it is a TD with a Product Engine P/L that turns a 5x3 18,000 rpm.
Oh yeah..I was happy to see a final weight of 5 7/8 ounces which makes this one almost a full ounce lighter than the Lil Satan.

THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Img_0648
THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Img_0649
THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Img_0650
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Empty Re: THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:46 am

The "TD Product Engine" runs pretty good with the Kamtech head / Nelson plug.
APC 5x3
first model I've ever built where the wing tip weight ends up on the inboard panel. I noticed during construction that 1 panel was heavier.
I think the lead outs are too far back...the model "hinges away" during tight turns.
The fat airfoil might contribute to sensitivity during level flight. I think it's time to switch to a handle with tighter spacing.
You can really feel the difference in weight between this one and the "Not So Lil Satan"
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:10 pm

Finally found a good running P/L from a Product Engine.
22,500 with a APC 5x3 was the "Old Standard" and it sure was great to see that happen again.
Life is good.... Smile
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:16 pm

The plane is certainly flying quite well. Pretty cool.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 06, 2024 7:24 pm

Really nice flying with that TD doing its paces, @TD ABUSER. It really moves out and sings.

Just made me realize that the frequency of the engine exhaust note is about that of a mosquito flying near one's ears. I didn't realize that mosquitoes' wings buzz at 22,500 RPM. Shocked
lol!

Thanks for showing us what a TD combat plane is capable of. cheers Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:36 pm

Ken Cook wrote:                The plane is certainly flying quite well. Pretty cool.

I think this basic design is worth building again...but more like the original with the foam leading edge

Another design that looks worthy is the Hoffelt / Monoboom

THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Monobo10
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:40 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Really nice flying with that TD doing its paces,  @TD ABUSER. It really moves out and sings.

Just made me realize that the frequency of the engine exhaust note is about that of a mosquito flying near one's ears. I didn't realize that mosquitoes' wings buzz at 22,500 RPM. Shocked
lol!

Thanks for showing us what a TD combat plane is capable of. cheers Thumbs Up

The piston is going up and down 375 times every second..... Shocked !!
How can anything but a mosquitos wings do that...?
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:41 pm

TD ABUSER wrote:
Ken Cook wrote:                The plane is certainly flying quite well. Pretty cool.

I think this basic design [the Believ 2001 F2D] is worth building again...but more like the original with the foam leading edge
THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! F2d_co10

Another design  that looks worthy is the Hoffelt / Monoboom

THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!! Monobo10
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:55 pm

At 68.... you must have really healthy eyes. I couldn't keep track of what was happening.. but maybe that's just me with vids. It happens to me with RC vids too. I'll lose sight of a model that's far-off in the distance.. and don't see it until it gets much closer. I could see enough though..  to see that you were putting that little airplane through its paces. Cool
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:28 pm

I like the Monoboom Half-A, simplicity at its best! Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:34 pm

roddie wrote:At 68.... you must have really healthy eyes. I couldn't keep track of what was happening.. but maybe that's just me with vids. It happens to me with RC vids too. I'll lose sight of a model that's far-off in the distance.. and don't see it until it gets much closer. I could see enough though..  to see that you were putting that little airplane through its paces. Cool

Yes it's not just you.... the model is really hard to track in the You Tube video...but the original video that I have saved to my computer is a little bit better.

Last edited by TD ABUSER on Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:40 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:I like the Monoboom Half-A, simplicity at its best! Very Happy

Notice the need for a trim tab...which says that "this plane is extremely hard to build perfectly straight".
Even the best builders would have to double check it after covering it with heat shrink film.
Notice that it has a concealed flexible control cable I guess for drag reduction or else "coolness factor". Cool
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:01 am

That was a lot faster in the second vid. seem to corner better , glad you got a PL set that will turn up for you ! You said product engine ? twin boost by passes ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:25 am

getback wrote:That was a lot faster in the second vid. seem to corner better , glad you got a PL set that will turn up for you ! You said product engine ? twin boost by passes ?

Yes the liner has the thin exhaust slits and a pair of transfer passages.
I found it looking like the most crusty piece of ****  caked in dried castor and with the ball socket as loose as I've ever seen.
The best specimen ended up hiding in the last place I looked which is pretty typical. Smile
Back when Cox was unloading stock they had those engines on sale for $4 each. Some time in the early 2000s.
I bought 10 and found that 4 or 5 of them ran just as strong as TD.

I think the key to high rpm  longevity is to chuck the piston / rod assy into a lathe and remove about half the wall thickness from the piston skirt.
To do this without harming the piston I made a split collet out of aluminum to hold the piston
The back of a #11 Xacto blade is what I use for a scraping tool.
The relatively soft piston is very easy to work.
The rod needs to be tied off and held to one side to keep it from flopping around .
This is going that "extra mile" that I ought to get back into the habit of doing.
I think it takes a lot of stress off the ball socket and  everything in general.
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down