Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

COX .020 RC PROJECT Cox_ba12

COX .020 RC PROJECT Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Ignition Points for Ohlsson 23
by ffkiwi Yesterday at 6:48 pm

» some pics....
by roddie Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:28 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:22 am

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 8:58 am

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by Oldenginerod Yesterday at 7:30 am

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Cox Rivets OWNERS FLIGHT MANUAL
by howardhb Yesterday at 7:03 am

» WILLY NILLY
by MANDALAY Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:28 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:58 pm

» Thrust Washer
by davidll1984 Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:25 am

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

COX .020 RC PROJECT Empty
Live on Patrol

COX .020 RC PROJECT

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

COX .020 RC PROJECT Empty COX .020 RC PROJECT

Post  TD ABUSER Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:19 am

I haven't owned a .020 for very long but now I wish I had..!
What a great little engine..!
I've always wanted to have a RC plane for the back yard....and I have flown .049 RC here but it's real sketchy with all of the nearby trees. To make matters worse I've divided the yard into half with a 5 foot high wire mesh fence.
My background is all .Cox .049 having built an Airtronics Q Tee and a Randy Randolph Nickle. Between these 2 planes I had enough information to branch out on my own to build all sorts of easy built .049 planes....many for RC combat.
Many years have passed and most were spent flying .40 powered stuff..so I feel like a "fish out of water" trying to build small and light for the tiniest engine I own.
This wing ended up heavier than it needs to be I think.
It would be more like the wing for the .049 Nickle at 6 x 36"
This is my 2nd attempt at a fuselage..the first was too full of "after thoughts" and the tail group was too heavy. The tail group and 1/8" ply firewall will be put into a future .049 project.
I don't have any strong 1/16" balsa sheet to build any of the Ken Willard .020 stuff.
I can't believe it's possible to build a tail group out of 1/16" balsa sheet and it amazes me to see how tiny the fin and rudder are on his Tomboy.
I can see now that I need to adjust my thinking when it comes to building for the .020.
COX .020 RC PROJECT Img_0657
COX .020 RC PROJECT Img_0658
COX .020 RC PROJECT Img_0710
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

COX .020 RC PROJECT Empty Re: COX .020 RC PROJECT

Post  balogh Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:09 pm

I am not sure if your plans are for a PeeWee, or, a TeeDee020..I have built and flown a couple RC planes for the latter and I can attest this is a wonderful piece of powerhouse.

I have I do not knpw how many hours of airtime on my Roaring 20 that was born to be powered by a TeeDee020...just the other ideal size of "park flyer"nowadays ( in addition to COX 010 TeeDee-powered micro RC planes) when our noisy COX birds are not too welcome by those not infected by COX obsession.

This thread was written before I swapped the TeeDee 010 with a TeeDee 020 and needless to say, flying characteristics of the Roaring20 improved from very good to great.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t2815-cox-tee-dee-010-pulling-a-roaring-20-i-have-reconstructed-after-the-previous-one-was-lost?highlight=Roaring+20
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:24 pm

Looking good TD…. I think you’ll enjoy 1/4 A -RC…. One of my favorites these days!…
Kind of like you, I flew a lot of .40 - .60 and a little 1/2A size stuff when we had a club here…. Along with some electric park flyer types and a little free flight rubber….. .020 RC is somewhere in between IMO….

Will be interested to see what you come up with for your backyard flyer…. Here’s another one of mine… Powered by a PeeWee with an auxiliary balloon tank… Ace Littlest Stick…. Tough little thing and handles the breeze well….

rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:55 pm

balogh wrote:I am not sure if your plans are for a PeeWee, or, a TeeDee020..I have built and flown a couple RC planes for the latter and I can attest this is a wonderful piece of powerhouse.

I have I do not knpw how many hours of airtime on my Roaring 20 that was born to be powered by a TeeDee020...just the other ideal size of "park flyer"nowadays ( in addition to COX 010 TeeDee-powered micro RC planes) when our noisy COX birds are not too welcome by those not infected by COX obsession.

This thread was written before I swapped the TeeDee 010 with a TeeDee 020 and needless to say, flying characteristics of the Roaring20 improved from very good to great.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t2815-cox-tee-dee-010-pulling-a-roaring-20-i-have-reconstructed-after-the-previous-one-was-lost?highlight=Roaring+20

Thanks..!
I will have a look..!
What a perfect engine run and a plane that flies great...!
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:14 pm

rdw777 wrote:Looking good TD…. I think you’ll enjoy 1/4 A -RC…. One of my favorites these days!…
Kind of like you, I flew a lot of .40 - .60 and a little 1/2A size stuff when we had a club here…. Along with some electric park flyer types and a little free flight rubber….. .020 RC is somewhere in between IMO….

Will be interested to see what you come up with for your backyard flyer…. Here’s another one of mine… Powered by a PeeWee with an auxiliary balloon tank… Ace Littlest Stick…. Tough little thing and handles the breeze well….

That what I noticed was the windy desert and a real lively and tough plane punching holes in the sky.... Smile
I think the Littlest Stick is very impressive.
One thing is for sure...ACE put out a lot of great models,
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:01 am

Here it is RTF weighing 11.6 ounces.
COX .020 RC PROJECT Img_0711
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:38 am

Looks great! Plan built or own design?

LS swap in the background? Huh...
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:13 am

gkamysz wrote:Looks great! Plan built or own design?

LS swap in the background? Huh...
It's good hearing from you and thanks again for the great contributions you have made to our hobby ..!
I wish I had a LS swap in progress..!
It's the exact opposite...GF's blown up Nissan 1.8 engine that required dismantling the entire front half of the car to remove. What a nightmare.

This plane is my own "creation".
The moment of truth shall happen some time today...I'm not sure where though.
After looking at how the Littlest Stick is built I can see that I'm way off as far as .020 scale goes.
I just placed an order to National Balsa for some tough 1/16" balsa sheet and tough 1/8 x 1/8" balsa sticks to make building some of the published plans for .020 power [like the Littlest Stick] doable.

The LS was rudder only and I suppose it is engineered to climb [even loop] if you just fly straight ahead. Thinking back I accidentally flew 1/2A RC this way when my elevator servo died with just enough UP to make this possible. The model with just rudder was way more controllable than I ever would have guessed.
That said....I still want a working elevator and a wing that mounted with more or less ZERO incidence for my future Littlest Stick.
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:38 am

TD ABUSER wrote:It's the exact opposite...GF's blown up Nissan 1.8 engine that required dismantling the entire front half of the car to remove. What a nightmare.
Know the feeling. There's a thread in this forum, where I removed the whole dashboard, steering wheel and loosened steering column to replace the leaking heater core for interior winter heat on my 1999 Chevrolet S10 pickup. If I had the V6 instead of 2.2L 4, I'd have to removed the bumper, grill and right front fender for access to one bolt holding the unit. Nonetheless, it was a PITA. Another PITA was changing the battery on our 2013 Dodge Journey, located underneath in the left wheel well.
TD ABUSER wrote:That said....I still want a working elevator and a wing that mounted with more or less ZERO incidence for my future Littlest Stick.
I think those adjustments to tweak engine thrust line and wing / elevator alignment will make it more suitable for elevator control.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Sep 13, 2024 12:20 pm

Looks great TD…. You turned it out quick!!!… Wish you well with first flights, I bet it will go well Very Happy….Glad you want to build a Stick, They’re lots of fun!!…. If you want it to really haul, Yes it would be best to come close to zero out the incidence on the wing, Especially if you install that TeeDee .020 on it Cool ……

Just for comparison’s sake, My Ace LS was an original kit and still has the as designed incidence (About five degrees positive on the wing LE!)…When I converted it to three channel I changed the fin/rudder from the LA Stick and oversized the rudder ….Positively stable in a weird sort of way but I like it for three channel aerobatics….

Pageboy was also for designed for rudder only and had a good degree of negative on the stab drawn in for pitch stability and climb but I zeroed it out…. Took most of the engine down thrust out too, Had to leave some due to the wing wanting to lift more when pushed a little …. A little down stick when needed in flight takes care of this….The plane retains the rest of its single channel stability’s making it pleasant to fly….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:11 pm

Well I woke up this morning and said to myself that I've flown from this yard before and I will fly here again. Still in my bathrobe, barefoot and with a couple beers in hand I drove to the edge of my 500 foot long clearing and set up Base Camp this morning.
Haven't flown any RC in a few years.
The .020 fired right up and easily pulled this 11.6 ounce plane high enough to clear the fence but it wasn't able to climb at will to help avoid all the trees. I flew it once after breathing a sigh of relief and decided to decommission it..... Smile
It took about an hour to convert it to 049 Surestart power with a 5x3 prop.
Not the huge improvement that I hoped for....this engine had zero time on it for break in and so I launched it cackling rich.
Here it is.....

Here is the 60 minute engine swap.....COX .020 RC PROJECT Img_0712
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:17 pm

rdw777 wrote:Looks great TD…. You turned it out quick!!!… Wish you well with first flights, I bet it will go well Very Happy….Glad you want to build a Stick, They’re lots of fun!!…. If you want it to really haul, Yes it would be best to come close to zero out the incidence on the wing, Especially if you install that TeeDee .020 on it Cool ……

Just for comparison’s sake, My Ace LS was an original kit and still has the as designed incidence (About five degrees positive on the wing LE!)…When I converted it to three channel I changed the fin/rudder from the LA Stick and oversized the rudder ….Positively stable in a weird sort of way but I like it for three channel aerobatics….

Pageboy was also for designed for rudder only and had a good degree of negative on the stab drawn in for pitch stability and climb but I zeroed it out…. Took most of the engine down thrust out too, Had to leave some due to the wing wanting to lift more when pushed a little …. A little down stick when needed in flight takes care of this….The plane retains the rest of its single channel stability’s making it pleasant to fly….

Thanks again for your very well detailed advice on your set up...!

I think after "getting there" with a small enough plane for my 020 to match how well your plane flys I will be tempted to try single channel rudder only....just not in my back yard but at a great big, flat open field Smile
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:22 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
TD ABUSER wrote:It's the exact opposite...GF's blown up Nissan 1.8 engine that required dismantling the entire front half of the car to remove. What a nightmare.
Know the feeling. There's a thread in this forum, where I removed the whole dashboard, steering wheel and loosened steering column to replace the leaking heater core for interior winter heat on my 1999 Chevrolet S10 pickup. If I had the V6 instead of 2.2L 4, I'd have to removed the bumper, grill and right front fender for access to one bolt holding the unit. Nonetheless, it was a PITA. Another PITA was changing the battery on our 2013 Dodge Journey, located underneath in the left wheel well.
TD ABUSER wrote:That said....I still want a working elevator and a wing that mounted with more or less ZERO incidence for my future Littlest Stick.
I think those adjustments to tweak engine thrust line and wing / elevator alignment will make it more suitable for elevator control.

Good afternoon GG
Thanks for relaying your miserable experiences with modern age cars...because "MY MISERY LOVES COMPANY"...!!!
There is no such ridiculousness to be found on my 1982 Ford F150.
There is some ridiculousness to be had  on my 1993 Jeep..but I've bought a couple repair manuals that explain what makes computer controlled, fuel injected cars work and my trusty Jeep now has 400,000 miles on it..,.. Smile

Last edited by TD ABUSER on Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:29 pm

Loved this thread TD-A - Bathrobe, barefoot and a couple of beers..... I should have been there with a camera. Loved your engine swap too.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:53 pm

Love your video, @TD ABUSER. The plane flew well, like a homesick angel. Very Happy

Yes, modern cars are a PITA, but the good thing about the S10 was work under the hood was otherwise easier, lots of room, easy to change fan belts, engine accessories, etc.

I paid a shop to replace the window washer reservoir pump unit on my 2013 Dodge Journey 3.6L V6. It would be a PITA for me to change it out, so I paid a shop.

They were apologetic because it cost over $400 parts and all, but I just told them, I thought this was fair because I knew already the amount of work required to unbolt buku stuff to get at it. Now that I am a senior, just don't have the gumption I had years ago to tackle such. So I told them no need to apologize. I knew the mechanic and he was faithful and honest, not many of them around these days. I gladly paid the bill, the mechanic's time was worth it.

To change this on the S10 took me only 20 minutes if that.

For my 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT, I bought Haynes 2008 - 2018 Grand Caravan repair manual, was glad to find it as these are becoming more rare. Very little difference if that between 2018 and 2019. Plus later, I'll put a manual temperature gauge and additional transmission oil cooler for towing. There's ways to beat the system. I'll be darned to pay an extra $2K for towing package plus full list on a new van. Got the 2 year old van before the oligarchs reset the used car prices. It jumped $13k after the "reset", bless their wicked hearts.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:01 pm

Congrats on the flight video! You are a brave pilot to fly among those tall trees, and I understand why you allowed the engine only 4-stroking.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:09 pm

balogh wrote:Congrats on the flight video! You are a brave pilot to fly among those tall trees, and I understand why you allowed the engine only 4-stroking.
I also loved how @TD ABUSER was able to dead stick land the aircraft within 10 feet of him. I know the feeling and it is a good one, used to do it myself with rudder only. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:13 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Loved this thread TD-A - Bathrobe, barefoot and a couple of beers..... I should have been there with a camera.  Loved your engine swap too.  

Bob

Smile Way back when I first got into the hobby [1985] I saw the Littlest Stick sold as a kit in clear plastic bags and thought to myself...."What a total waste of money that little POS looks like"

Now thanks to YOU here I am getting ready to finally build one...!!! Laughing
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:33 pm

TD ABUSER wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Loved this thread TD-A - Bathrobe, barefoot and a couple of beers..... I should have been there with a camera.  Loved your engine swap too.  

Bob

Smile Way back when I first got into the hobby [1985] I saw the Littlest Stick sold as a kit in clear plastic bags and thought to myself...."What a total waste of money that little POS looks like"

Now thanks to YOU here I am getting ready to finally build one...!!! Laughing

The Sticks...............DAS, UGLY, etc. I love them. They were so popular at the club in Florida that I used to belong to. But, I never got around to getting one.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:02 pm

There is one pre-"stick" that has been on my bucket list, the mid 1960's Royal Coachman. It was stick like in layout except for the modified Clark-Y wing instead of symmetrical and straighter tail surfaces. Mentions reed systems, but the design would work with the newer Galloping Ghost 3 channel systems (rudder - elevator - motor control, REM) that used one actuator to activate all three surfaces for lighter weight R/C, which showed up a little later.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1302 41 inch span Royal Coachman by Don Dewey, June 1965 RCM

COX .020 RC PROJECT 01310

A Medallion .09 was recommended for beginners with a .15 R/C for sparkling sport performance. A modern .09 - .10 Schneurle engine would also work for sparkling sport performance (or equivalent electric motor system).

In 1968, it was kitted by Sterling. One could rescale it at say, 1/2 to say 5/8 for .010 TD to .020 Pee Wee control.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:00 am

Nice little flight there TD , those trees must bee further away than they look , i have a field behind the house but alot of tall trees too LOL Got to get it cleaned up more before i can fly there . Women across the Rd. will let me fly if wanted I have flew some CL in her front yard that is big . COX .020 RC PROJECT Pepper12old pic  
old pic of mine .
George here is a video of the Royal Coachman a guy built if you want to see it >>
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:29 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:There is one pre-"stick" that has been on my bucket list, the mid 1960's Royal Coachman. It was stick like in layout except for the modified Clark-Y wing instead of symmetrical and straighter tail surfaces. Mentions reed systems, but the design would work with the newer Galloping Ghost 3 channel systems (rudder - elevator - motor control, REM) that used one actuator to activate all three surfaces for lighter weight R/C, which showed up a little later.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1302 41 inch span Royal Coachman by Don Dewey, June 1965 RCM

COX .020 RC PROJECT 01310

A Medallion .09 was recommended for beginners with a .15 R/C for sparkling sport performance. A modern .09 - .10 Schneurle engine would also work for sparkling sport performance (or equivalent electric motor system).

In 1968, it was kitted by Sterling. One could rescale it at say, 1/2 to say 5/8 for .010 TD to .020 Pee Wee control.

Some time around 1965 some guy [could have been a local hobby shop owner] took out an ad in the local newspaper to announce that he planned on flying RC at such and such time and location.

The relative cost to buy a radio like that in the 1960s must have been more than what most people could afford.

Last edited by TD ABUSER on Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:58 am

getback wrote:Nice little flight there TD , those trees must bee further away than they look , i have a field behind the house but alot of tall trees too LOL Got to get it cleaned up more before i can fly there . Women across the Rd. will let me fly if wanted I have flew some CL in her front yard that is big . COX .020 RC PROJECT Pepper12old pic  
old pic of mine .
George here is a video of the Royal Coachman a guy built if you want to see it >>

It sure is nice to have enough of a clearing to do the hobby a little bit...because the area where I've lived for the past 40 years has very little open land left.
The land developers are converting 100 of acres of hay and corn fields to industrial parks and residential neighborhoods.
The 100 acre hay field I flew at for many years is now gone.
Your trees look like "Easy Pickens" if you want to expand your clearing.!
Your Royal Coachman is a great flyer....!
I scratch built something very close to that for a OS .10 and Enya .11 and flew it until it was too fuel soaked. I might have been looking at a construction article or an ad for the Coachman and got inspired.

TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:23 am

I've always been a small R/C guy. Largest R/C I've flown is a foam Hobby Shack Cessna 150 with Magnum .15 Schneurle. With that engine I was able to easily do a vertical loop in horizontal flight, easily the power of the older cross scavenge .19 to .25.

Have a few bucket list kits at 50 inch span like the World Engines .25 Robinhood, a stand way off scale of the Curtiss Robin.

Our house in Clovis had a 25 acre vacant field behind the house that had 400 prairie dogs, now all filled with houses. Before I used to run up glow engines unmuffled until houses immediately behind our back yard showed up. I probably can still run up, but have to watch hours.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:31 am

Oh that is not my Coachman,, And said OLD pic it has grown up much more now where we use to split wood and have it brought in from dump trucks !  Very Happy  about to move the splitter back out there to the side to sooo less room , alot of my pine trees got the bug and small ones made a fence line there on the left still room to fly 1/2A though !! This Site Rocks!  You can see the trees here with my old as fling LOL  
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next