Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying Cox_ba12

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» some pics....
by balogh Today at 12:47 am

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:27 am

» Thrust Washer
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:02 pm

» Needle-Valve extensions (yellow) for Killer Bee
by EXModelEngines Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by balogh Yesterday at 1:40 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 12:28 pm

» cox tee dee 010 pulling a Roaring 20 I have reconstructed after the previous one was lost
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:08 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:32 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:45 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:04 pm

» Storage boxes for cox engines and parts
by GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:38 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying Empty
Live on Patrol

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying

Go down

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying Empty Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying

Post  Cox International Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:10 pm

Here is a picture of a slit-exhaust cylinder without the usual "boss" over the top exhaust port. I have seen this style in open-port cylinders, but never in the slit-exhaust version.

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying Cylind11
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying Empty Re: Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying

Post  roddie Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:33 pm

I'm pretty sure that I have one of those Bernie.. but I can't be sure where it came from. Most of my cylinders are NOT of the "thin-slit" type.. (acquired from orphaned postage-stamp product engines.. or my two early Golden Bee engines)

I have mid-1980's versions of a PT-19 Flight trainer.. and a Cosmic Wind; both of which had "horseshoe" backplate/carbs and thin-slit port cylinders. Both of their engines have lost their traceability unfortunately.

I'll look to see if I can find my cylinder which is like yours in question.. and will post a photo if I do.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying Empty Re: Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying

Post  roddie Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:58 pm

EDIT: sorry Bernie.. I see what you mean by the "boss" between the exh. ports and the fins..  Embarassed Mine have that boss by the looks of my photos..

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying Denatu10

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying Denatu13

Last edited by roddie on Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:05 pm

double-post
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Aug 29, 2024 12:24 am

It doesn’t seem to have the flat cuts for the wrench on the top fin either Huh...

I have at least one double-slit exhaust cylinder without the wrench cuts, but I didn’t notice any other difference when I looked at it. Will see if I can find it.

The lack of the wrench flats made me think it’s some kind of an interim product, first batch of double slits or something. Afterwards they found that the flats are now needed, since the wrench won’t fit the new exhaust ports.

Now that I think about it, in my opinion, the ”boss” above the exhaust, would have been a better place for the wrench flats, than the very thin top fin.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 29, 2024 12:48 am

KariFS wrote:Now that I think about it, in my opinion, the ”boss” above the exhaust, would have been a better place for the wrench flats, than the very thin top fin.
The larger diameter at the upper most fin area provides the greatest torque advantage, making it easier to wrench with a stamped sheet metal wrench.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:21 am

What Kari says also makes sense IMHO except for cases when a muffler is added. Stock COX mufflers extend up to the lowest fin and hence would cover the wrench flats if cut into the "boss" as we call it in this thread.

For the wrench cuts made by COX  the top fin was thicker than on old stock e.g. thin wall cyliners with no stock cuts. I filed wrench cuts on several old stock thin wall cylinders where the top fin thickness was no different from the rest, and it still holds well i.e. not bent by the wrench...truth be told, I always apply some silicone laden oil like WD 40 on the cylinder base thread before engine reassembly so that castor will not be caked there, and cylinder removal is easy, the torque applied on the wrench not destroying the top fin area near the wrench cuts.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:34 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
KariFS wrote:Now that I think about it, in my opinion, the ”boss” above the exhaust, would have been a better place for the wrench flats, than the very thin top fin.
The larger diameter at the upper most fin area provides the greatest torque advantage, making it easier to wrench with a stamped sheet metal wrench.

True, but if the flats were on the thick bottom fin, one could fit a ”proper” wrench too, if desired, since there would not be other fins on the way.

But as Andras said, this would not work with the muffler.

I personally have messed up at least one cylinder and a wrench, trying to force the glowhead without applying heat. Oh well, that was 40 years ago, you live and learn Smile

Always a good idea to oil the threads while assembling, this was not done at the factory, cost, time etc, but I too add some oil to all of the threads. I use the same oil that I use everywhere, i.e. air tool oil.

Edit. Found the one I was thinking about. Got it used with a bunch of other engines, no idea what kind of model (if any) it left the factory with. Dual slit cylinder without the wrench flats, but it does have the thick fin/boss after all. Bernie may have found something special Cool

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying Img_0112

Edit 2. Found a genuine thick wall Tee Dee 051 cylinder with the same profile as Bernie’s mystery cylinder. The rest of my thick wall Tee Dees have the more usual arrangement.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:55 am

Thanks Kari and to all others that have posted, but all those cylinders have that thicker lip or ring above the exhaust port; whereas the one I posted does not, it has a regular cooling fin instead.

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:02 pm

Bernie, looks like you have a rare one. I think Roddie is right, probably an early short-lived production before further changes were made. Used up the stock, every engine sold is a profit.

Love the pristene condition and like new finish on the Babe Bee.

Interestingly, between the 3 lower cooling fins the diameter is necked down to thin cylinder levels.

Kari mentions of damaging the cylinder exterior by wrenching 40 years ago. Yes, I have ruined maybe a half dozen thin cylinders engines 10 years prior to Kari, a Pee Wee and Babe Bees, some product engines. The thin cylinders were easy to ruin without other precautions when inserting the Cox wrench into the exhaust port.

I still have a few thin cylinders, but those I ruined sport later piston cylinder sets.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:13 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Bernie, looks like you have a rare one. I think Roddie is right, probably an early short-lived production before further changes were made. Used up the stock, every engine sold is a profit.

Love the pristene condition and like new finish on the Babe Bee.

Interestingly, between the 3 lower cooling fins the diameter is necked down to thin cylinder levels.

It's actually a picture from someone on eBay asking if we had even seen such a cylinder, as is on his un-run Babe Bee. Since our answer was "no", I posted here and also advised that person that he could follow the thread on the forum himself.

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 29, 2024 2:14 pm

No problem, Bernie, my bad. It is interesting, the trivial nuggets and advice / suggestions brought up by you, Matt, Jacob, András, Kari, Roddie, and all the rest in this forum. It seems we have a final compendium of Cox engine history and then a new exception appears.

There is never a dull moment in CEF. Thumbs Up Affraid or WOW! Smoking This Site Rocks!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:26 am

The more I think about this, the more it looks like a production mistake. Given the millions of cylinders produced, they probably had special tools for their lathes, so that all the fins and other shapes were done on the top part of the cylinder on one go (as opposed to feeding a thin tool into each fin gap). Think of a "comb" shaped tool.

Pick up and install the old tool, and you'll get a cylinder like this. I have one that is probably from the same batch, it's a thick wall Tee Dee 051 cylinder, currently installed to my "051 KillerWannaBee" Smile Never noticed it before this thread.

Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying 377f3010

This cylinder was pulled from a Tee Dee that I converted to a non-SPI cylinder and a muffler. Also a Medallion carb... Embarassed The idea was to make an engine that would be easier to start than a Tee Dee, could be used with a muffler, but would give more rpm than a Medallion with a muffler. Like most of my engines, it has never been tested. Given the possible "rarity" or oddity of the cylinder, I might re-assemble the engine back into its original form. I have a bunch of other Tee Dees to play with, but then I would have to re-name the "Wanna Bee" to 049 Huh...

You're right George, never a dull moment lol! I Love This Forum!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:39 am

I checked the three slit cylinders I have and all have the boss above the exhaust….Whoever had the Bee with the unusual cylinder must have cared for it as it looks like its been polished a bit…. Maybe at least there’s some hints of its age by the other parts of the engine….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:10 am

KariFS wrote:Given the possible "rarity" or oddity of the cylinder, I might re-assemble the engine back into its original form. I have a bunch of other Tee Dees to play with, but then I would have to re-name the "Wanna Bee" to 049 Huh...
Before you do that, with the name "The Wanna Bee", you may have a possible winner for the Cox Engine of the Month Contest! Very Happy lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:51 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:No problem, Bernie, my bad. It is interesting, the trivial nuggets and advice / suggestions brought up by you, Matt, Jacob, András, Kari, Roddie, and all the rest in this forum. It seems we have a final compendium of Cox engine history and then a new exception appears.

There is never a dull moment in CEF. Thumbs Up Affraid or WOW! Smoking This Site Rocks!

I posted a reply digging into the top fin not being milled for a wrench, and how Cox (poorly) suggested how to remove them...then deleted it about 2 minutes after posting it as I realized what Bernie really meant.

I do recall reading that at one point Cox used two milling machines for their cylinder production, their old setup that made the thin wall and later the stepped cylinders, and the new setup that made the later thick wall cylinders.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:12 pm

I went and looked at a couple of the interim screened exhaust port engines, and they all looked like this cylinder, without having double slits.  My speculation is that your engine, is an early double slit exhaust port engine.  According to the Cox Handbook, the screens started showing up in 1976 and the dual slit showed up in 1978.  I am going to guess that at some point they decided to save money and stopped milling that portion of the cylinder, either after prototyping it or sometime later in the process.  This was probably to save money or because they had some other manufacturing issue. Just my guess. It's an interesting cylinder.
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down