Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

balance propellers - It's all about balance.. Cox_ba12

balance propellers - It's all about balance.. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by getback Today at 5:55 am

» Ignition Points for Ohlsson 23
by getback Today at 5:11 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» some pics....
by roddie Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:22 am

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 8:58 am

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by Oldenginerod Yesterday at 7:30 am

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Cox Rivets OWNERS FLIGHT MANUAL
by howardhb Yesterday at 7:03 am

» WILLY NILLY
by MANDALAY Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:28 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:58 pm

» Thrust Washer
by davidll1984 Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:25 am

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

balance propellers - It's all about balance.. Empty
Live on Patrol

It's all about balance..

Go down

balance propellers - It's all about balance.. Empty It's all about balance..

Post  roddie Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:40 am

Came across this pic when changing my avatar today.

balance propellers - It's all about balance.. 1-24-110

First glance you'd think there's a spinner-hub.. but it's actually a Tee Dee-style spinner that's mounted. There's a little metal bushing that the spinner is sitting in.. and just by luck it happened to balance at that stage of construction.

balance propellers - It's all about balance.. 1-24-111

This all changed though after finishing.. and I also opted for mounting the engine-cylinder horizontally; outboard-circle.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

balance propellers - It's all about balance.. Empty Re: It's all about balance..

Post  KariFS Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:46 am

Did it stay like that after you cranked up that dryer Very Happy

I too used to have a basement workshop in the previous house, but our current house has no basement floor at all. It would be nice to have one.

That picture got me thinking, theoretically the ideal "vertical" CoG position would be exactly at the line of the crankshaft. Then, of course the centerline of the aerodynamic drag should also be at the same line. I recall you already made a completely symmetrical model for inverted flying? Maybe symmetry would be beneficial for a speed model too. Less forces and moments fighting each other => less drag? Huh...
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

balance propellers - It's all about balance.. Empty Re: It's all about balance..

Post  roddie Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:28 am

KariFS wrote:
That picture got me thinking, theoretically the ideal "vertical" CoG position would be exactly at the line of the crankshaft. Then, of course the centerline of the aerodynamic drag should also be at the same line. I recall you already made a completely symmetrical model for inverted flying? Maybe symmetry would be beneficial for a speed model too. Less forces and moments fighting each other => less drag? Huh...

Hey Kari, The closest I've come to a fully symmetrical airframe design is my little Voodoo (Phred's Phalt).. but even that does not have a 100% symmetrical airfoil. It uses an Ace foam-core which has slightly more camber to it's top surface. I imagine that Ace designed it this way to provide some lifting characteristics.. but then; they weren't in the business of designing C/L airplanes either. The Wooten Voodoo is close to 100% symmetrical I believe. I'd like to see Rusty build/fly one of those! With the stunt-skills he's acquired, I'll bet he'd have a ball with it!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:58 am

Sorry, I guess my memory doesn't serve me. I remember a symmetrical frame and somebody making a joke that the builder should add landing gear on the "top" side too Very Happy You have published so many new ideas here that I automatically thought the symmetric plane was yours too.

Anyway, that Bear is a good and fast looking plane even without the paint Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:40 pm

KariFS wrote:Sorry, I guess my memory doesn't serve me. I remember a symmetrical frame and somebody making a joke that the builder should add landing gear on the "top" side too Very Happy  You have published so many new ideas here that I automatically thought the symmetric plane was yours too.

Anyway, that Bear is a good and fast looking plane even without the paint Smile

Kari, no need to apologize. I do remember mentioning "Level-Louie".. a fella that used to fly with my dad, uncle and grandfather. He put landing gear on the topside of one of his C/L stunters. He was a timid flyer.. and was always worried about running out of fuel while inverted. I probably killed someone else's thread with that story..  Paranoid  

Thanks TONS for your compliments on the Rare Bear. I took lots of photos during construction.. and then there was the hard-tank work. There's dozens of photos in that folder. The build pics are fun to look back on. I was super-focused then.. but haven't been able to get back there again.

Some of my favorites..

Early-on with a Babe Bee and lengthened wing-tips.

balance propellers - It's all about balance.. 11-18-10
balance propellers - It's all about balance.. 1-24-112

White-wash..

balance propellers - It's all about balance.. 2-19-110

Gold belly-trim..

balance propellers - It's all about balance.. 4-10-110
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum