Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 Cox_ba12

O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Betty Skelton
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:20 pm

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:46 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by Ken Cook Today at 5:03 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Today at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Today at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Today at 10:30 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by roddie Today at 10:02 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Today at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Today at 7:46 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 7:19 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

O.S PET 1.6cc info needed

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 Empty Re: O.S PET 1.6cc info needed

Post  gcb Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:20 pm

Jason_WI wrote: Need to turn the carb around yet and give it a bath in my crock pot.

Interestingly, to convert the RC version to CL you remove the needle valve, remove the carb, reinstall the needle valve.

Of course to convert CL to RC you remove the needle valve, position the carb in place, reinstall the needle valve.

Conservative on parts!

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:14 pm

Neato! I have both versions of this engine, too, and am wondering how they will perform. Mine are not quite so gunked-up as the one pictured, but I'll bet I have just as much ''fun'' getting them to operate.

I like to build, so I would like to come up with a good airframe with which to deploy this engine. I'll put a picture of a plane I whipped-up for my Tee Dee .051. Ron got some laps with it one day, when he was here. It's a little squirrelly. Keep an eye peeled.
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TheotherGeoff Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 pm

I think one of these, enlarged a bit, would be good: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1807526 Scroll down to post #6.
TheotherGeoff
TheotherGeoff
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Okay...Some people might like that look. Is that plane indicative of the era that these engines were popular? I was thinking...cooler-looking... See my scratch-built Comanche, for instance.
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 pm

GUS THE I.A. wrote:Okay...Some people might like that look. Is that plane indicative of the era that these engines were popular? I was thinking...cooler-looking... See my scratch-built Comanche, for instance.
O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 Rofl-1
I looked at the picture. You're right, Gus, it ain't near cool enough.
Uh oh, I hope I didn't offend Geoff. Sorry, just a spontaneous reaction.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Hello world there's a song that we're singing c'mon get happy!!!!

It's a neat design the color scheme is not for everyone. How quick is it?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:18 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Hello world there's a song that we're singing c'mon get happy!!!!

I got Chinese eyes just looking at it.
O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 File

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TheotherGeoff Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:18 am

It's from the fifties, so very much a contemporary of the OS Pet. As for not being cool enough, to each his own. I like Dil-Bod's scale midget racer look. As for the psychedelic paint job - uhhhh..., wellllllll... I much prefer the more scale-like paint job of the original. Smile

Geoff the non-hippie
TheotherGeoff
TheotherGeoff
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:33 am

Plane's good looking...the paint...has a sort of "Easter Basket" quality to my eyes...

Also brings back the days when me and Kevin Eugene would cut and mail off those magazine coupons to Top Flite for free samples of "New Super Monokote" !!!! They were very generous, and sent us large chunks of varying colors that we used to cover at least two VERY colorful 1/2A planes...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 Empty Head screws

Post  frenchomebuilder Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:59 pm

Hello
I have 3 of these motors, all of the screws are in pretty bad state . I measured OD 2.7 mm , and a pitch of 0.6 mm . At first , I believed they were 4 x 40  , but no .. The threads looks like the old SI european system ..
Do you know where to get such screws ?  
Thank you ..
Nobody knows ?

Last edited by frenchomebuilder on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : up)
frenchomebuilder
frenchomebuilder
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:38 am

I think you'll find at least 1 test report for the PET on this fantastic site:

sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html

You'll need to add the www or something to the link as I am still on probation and am not allowed to post an actual link. Spend the time to get to Sceptre; it is worth it.
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:06 am

gcb wrote:
Jason_WI wrote: Need to turn the carb around yet and give it a bath in my crock pot.

Interestingly, to convert the RC version to CL you remove the needle valve, remove the carb, reinstall the needle valve.

Of course to convert CL to RC you remove the needle valve, position the carb in place, reinstall the needle valve.

Conservative on parts!

George

It is not really any carburator though. It is just an intake choke, just like you would normally have for cold-starts. Using the choke will reduce the rpm by making the engine run overly rich, but that's about it....

The engines are a cross flow design but there is no baffle on the piston, instead there is a machined step on the piston;

O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 Img_1712

O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 Img_0411

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:44 pm

frenchomebuilder wrote:Hello
I have 3 of these motors, all of the screws are in pretty bad state . I measured OD 2.7 mm , and a pitch of 0.6 mm . At first , I believed they were 4 x 40  , but no .. The threads looks like the old SI european system ..
Thank you ..
Nobody knows ?

The screws are all M2.5 and finding matching screws will be difficult unless you come across spares for this engine.

However, I would replace them with M2.5 cap head screws. See picture - the ones shown are M2.5 x 10mm and would require trimming to match.

O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 Os_pet10

I don't know where you are based but try a search on Ebay for M2.5 x 10 screws bolts.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 Empty Head screws

Post  frenchomebuilder Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:12 pm

ian1954 wrote:
frenchomebuilder wrote:Hello
Thank you ..
Nobody knows ?

The screws are all M2.5 and finding matching screws will be difficult unless you come across spares for this engine.

However, I would replace them with M2.5 cap head screws. See picture - the ones shown are M2.5 x 10mm and would require trimming to match.

O.S PET 1.6cc info needed  - Page 2 Os_pet10

I don't know where you are based but try a search on Ebay for M2.5 x 10 screws bolts.
I' m based in France, so here are tons of M2.5 screws .. They fitted the latest versions of OS PET, not the old, which are, as I measured, 2.7 mm dia, and 0.6 mm pitch .. On an other forum, I asked to a japanese man, he said that these screws are not a japanese standard. For some unknown reason, OS made these screws on the first PET production time . Never mind, I will let the old screws with damaged heads. If one day I have really the need to change, I will rethread 3 SI, as the pitch is the same, 0.6 mm. 3 SI screws are pretty hard to find now, as the SI has been gave up in the sixties , but however possible to find on fleamarts there .
frenchomebuilder
frenchomebuilder
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:33 pm

I hadn't realised that the older PET had a different thread - I don't have one to try as I have a variety of screws.

Is it possibly 6 or 7 BA? BA screws were quite popular on some early engines.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  frenchomebuilder Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:17 pm

ian1954 wrote:I hadn't realised that the older PET had a different thread - I don't have one to try as I have a variety of screws.

Is it possibly 6 or 7 BA? BA screws were quite popular on some early engines.
Thank you , no more they are BA or other brit standard . I studied and tried , anyway, nothing works ..
My screws, actually , are in good condition. It is these damned phillips heads that do not withstand the onslaught of unsuit screwdrivers ..
Have a nice 2015 !
frenchomebuilder
frenchomebuilder
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Yes, the phillips heads do tend to suffer more than the threads. I also have an early 3-bolt backplate type Pet. There's a lot of speculation around, but if anyone can positively identify the head screws and possibly a source that would be really helpful.
I haven't heard of an "SI" screw thread as someone suggested and it didn't come up on a Google search.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  frenchomebuilder Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:27 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Yes, the phillips heads do tend to suffer more than the threads.  I also have an early 3-bolt backplate type Pet.  There's a lot of speculation around, but if anyone can positively identify the head screws and possibly a source that would be really helpful.
I haven't heard of an "SI" screw thread as someone suggested and it didn't come up on a Google search.

Rod.
Someone knows
When in high technology school, the norms system was changing. The former SI system became ISO. Here we find the foundations of the SI:
http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP330/sp330.pdf
and to get some guidelines SI threads, just google " filetages si" .

There are quite a few differences between M and SI, they are mainly located at the threads truncation , and only for some small diameters, in the pitch . Example 3 SI is 0.6, while M3 is 0.5 pitch.
That said, at the end of a  professional life in mechanical studies, I can say that sometimes, does any manufacturer would be required to design special screws, depending on many parameters, which sometimes  completely escapes to our subsequent reasoning.
What is sure is that Japanese mainly used metric system .
In relation to the subject of this post, maybe M Shigeo Ogawa decided that the choice of 2.7 mm screws  was the good relation between strength and weight.
Maybe his steel supplier , when Japan was still terribly short of raw materials, suggested him to save a bit, offering  2.7 instead of 3 steel wire.
These are only considerations , 60 years after the facts ..
So we will ever know more I think ..
That said, it is still possible to make specially manufacture such screws, it is only about price.
Personally, I'm repeating myself, if I really needed, I'll retap  3 SI, so as not to destroy the threads using another pitch than 0.6.
The best . André
frenchomebuilder
frenchomebuilder
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:36 am

The thread is indeed a 0.6mm pitch, and there is also an M3x0.6 thread that you could "convert to". I have both a tap and a die for it, which came with a cheap chinese set. Screws might be hard to find though as the regular M3 thread is a 0.5 pitch.

The reason for the easy damage to the "Philips"-heads is because they are not actually Philips heads. They are instead a Japanese standard that is close to a Philips head screw in appearance. Sometimes there is a dot on the screw to separate them from the regular Philips heads. The only way to safely handle these screws is to get a set of Japanese screwdrivers...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  frenchomebuilder Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:05 am

Surfer_kris wrote:The thread is indeed a 0.6mm pitch, and there is also an M3x0.6 thread that you could "convert to". I have both a tap and a die for it, which came with a cheap chinese set. Screws might be hard to find though as the regular M3 thread is a 0.5 pitch.

The reason for the easy damage to the "Philips"-heads is because they are not actually Philips heads. They are instead a Japanese standard that is close to a Philips head screw in appearance. Sometimes there is a dot on the screw to separate them from the regular Philips heads. The only way to safely handle these screws is to get a set of Japanese screwdrivers...
Yes, I know these different  Phillips heads, I have a Japanese screwdriver set, I do not had when I was a bad brat ..
In France it is quite easy to find  3 SI screws; personally, I have a small stock. We can recover someones in old tube radios, what I done for other applications, and even 3.5 mm SI pressure screws if needed, in the knobs.
What is difficult is to find SI screws in a good quality steel .. It is better to have them from a  M3 screw, re threaded with a good 3SI die, I do not think that a Chinese one could cut in such a steel. These tools work well for restoring a damaged thread, but no more. SI dies are sometimes available on fleamarts, ebay ....
frenchomebuilder
frenchomebuilder
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:57 am

Surfer_kris wrote:

The correct name for the "Japanese Phillips" is JIS (I'm guessing it stands for Japanese Industrial Standard). Surprisingly hard to find tools that fit, at least in Finland.

My old Honda has those screws, the originals are a mess, I already have new ones but I haven't bought the correct driver yet. It is not only the shape that is different, the JIS screw heads are also smaller than ones on "regular" metric screws of the same thread size. That's why I haven't converted to Phillips on my engine case screws.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2