Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in Cox_ba12

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in
by KariFS Today at 5:15 am

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:39 pm

» COX .020 POWERED FLYING WING
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 4:55 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by 1/2A Nut Sun Oct 13, 2024 3:54 pm

» Cox Icon RC TRansmitter and servo
by cstatman Sun Oct 13, 2024 3:16 pm

» The Three Stooges
by 1975 control line guy Sun Oct 13, 2024 1:06 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by roddie Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:17 am

» I Got Cheated!
by getback Sun Oct 13, 2024 7:28 am

» OS MAX-D
by ffkiwi Sat Oct 12, 2024 3:27 pm

» R/C battery connector..Help
by rsv1cox Sat Oct 12, 2024 8:04 am

» Who purchased one of my manifolds and has a tuned pipe that will fit to it?
by 1/2A Nut Sat Oct 12, 2024 6:17 am

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2024
MauricioB's

"Cox .049 Circa 1975, custom."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in Empty
Live on Patrol

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in

Go down

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in Empty Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:52 am

Finally.  I haven't worked this hard since Boot Camp......

Did you ever want to see what's inside....Curisority, it's a driving thing.  I don't know, fix it up and give it to some kid.  Boats, despite being retired Navy holds little interest for me......but Carriers????  We shall see.  

I literally had to tear the thing apart.  The tongue and groove deck to hull connection plus many male/female posts secured with phillips head screws could make a sane man nuts.  On one side I could pry the tongue out of the groove, the other side the plastic deck just ripped at the seam leaving the tongue in the groove.  Flashlight, a hacksaw blade, picks, automotive trim prys, and multiple screwdrivers finally separated the two halfs.  Its a mess, tool marks all over and a hacked off post plus I probably broke off a few more helicopter blades.  The Ruskies won't care.  But, I bet the thing goes back together in working order.. Testors red tube cement is the perfect fix for this type of plastic.  

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018425
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018427
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018426
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018430
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018428
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018429
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in Empty Re: Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:01 am

Bob regarding working hard in Navy boot camp, that was then the real Navy, and I enlisting after you, I was in the real Army. (Well, about as real as it could get, being a Clarinet Player in the Army Band of the Pacific, Honolulu, Hawaii. Band's idea of bivoauc is the Fairfield Inn. Laughing )

Yes, you have a bit of obscure history in your hands under construction (looks good so far.) Thumbs Up Your reference to a former Soviet nation reminded me of this post I read just now:

https://www.quora.com/How-common-was-it-to-use-the-enemy-s-weapons-in-World-War-2

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in 2024-112
Quora photo: US soldier with German Panzerfaust anti-tank weapon.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in 2024-113
Quora photo: German captured US Sherman tanks.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in 2024-114
Quora photo: German soldier with US Tommy-gun light machinegun.

My condolences to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice with the loss of their own lives, which truly can never be compensated but only remembered. Sad

But, there was a lighter side also, as they say in Murphy's Law of Combat: If you are short of everything but the enemy, you are in combat. lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in Empty Re: Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in

Post  roddie Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:42 am

Hi Robert! Some notes that I found on your model aircraft carrier; state that it was designed with a safety interlock. The motors will not run unless BOTH propeller shafts sense being in the water. I was wondering why there was no obvious on/off switch.. and that's why.

I also found an interesting image on the web which shows an alternate means of powering-up the model while dry-docked...  Huh... Does yours have this feature? Operated by touching the two contacts with a finger; it's shown on the deck, rearward of the superstructure.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in 717ju210

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018411
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 13, 2024 12:25 pm

Thanks George.  From your link:

Often the enemy had weapons which you didn’t and coveted.

The Luger was a prime example.  As I have mentioned here before "War is a stupid way to solve problems" ..or words to that effect.  I hate war be it civil, domestic, or foreign.  "Waged by the elite suffered by the masses."  Even today we have a couple of litttle guys rattling their nukes.  Crazy, absolutely crazy.

roddie, you have a gift for finding things that I either don't look for or can't find.  Probably taken from the box.  Sort of understandable even in Chinese lingo.  I was wondering what those two things were, thought maybe resistors or crystals.  

I don't get the "Detachable bracket".  It is held on with two screws and has no function that I can see.

More pictures, I really mangled the thing.  Not by choice.  That deck was not intended to be removed.  Mid-ship area was tongue/grooved and cemented.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018433
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018432
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018436

Marked and cut:

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018434
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018435
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018431
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 13, 2024 5:52 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

roddie, you have a gift for finding things that I either don't look for or can't find.  Probably taken from the box.  Sort of understandable even in Chinese lingo.  I was wondering what those two things were, thought maybe resistors or crystals.  

I don't get the "Detachable bracket".  It is held on with two screws and has no function that I can see.

I like the model.. and the differential-steering system via twin-screws (sans rudders) has always interested me.

Chinglish... Laughing Once you read enough of it... you actually become fluent. Yea.... the "detachable bracket"... What? Check with own eyes We'll figure out what it's for. Maybe a "WALL_MOUNT"!!!!  Jaw Drop

I searched [HT-2828] on google. There's a myriad of Hobby vendors that give their own descriptions/specs. on this cruiser. That's where I read about the safety-interlock/boat must be in water to run statement. One of the YouTube vids shows a kid holding an instruction manual which was stated to be in the English language. I haven't found this manual yet.. but it probably says "Don't try to remove the deck".. Laughing

Below photo; I'd guess that those 22-24ga black wires connect to the deck; to the finger-switch/dry-dock interlock.. and may need continuity if your motors won't run. (just a thought.. )

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018415

Below photos; show a red + (power wire?) which looks to be cut..

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018416

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018414

I'd like to see if you can get the electronics to work as designed. Gluing the deck to the hull was probably an effort on the manufacturers part, to help keep water out. They weren't concerned about "guys like us".. who enjoy taking things apart.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 13, 2024 6:33 pm

Those two wires

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in Roddie15

connect to the decks finger thingy wires.  I don't know if they were broken, or if I broke them while probing around with the screwdrivers. Probably me.  Maybe these pictures will show them.  My wash/clean job.  Checking for watertight integrity.  Smile

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018440
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018439
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018441
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018444
Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018443

Yes, finger thingy. White blob to left with the 22 guage black wires coming out.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018442

I hard wired and tested each motor individually with the battery, they both work fine.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018445

Check out the ballast.  Overall for a cheap thing (back then $59.00 new) not too bad.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:55 am

Ah, A new day.

Getting ready to jumper this thing to check the transmitter/receiver functions and one of the leads to a motor broke off.  Soldering time.  

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018446

But first I have to figure this - finger and put it in the water thing.  The only reason for this hole in the stern is to let water in, so it must have something to do with it, but there are no electrical connections only a canistor which looks to be ballast.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in Carrie10

So, if I put a piece of tape over it and add some water..............

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018447

Sukhoi 34 about to lift off.  Perhaps my French SPAD a better platform than the troubled Admiral Kutzhenoiff (sp) Russia's only (maybe) operational aircraft carrier.  At last check it was DIW.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018448
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:47 am

Bob, your model ship has interesting design features incorporated, more sophistication, someone intended it to be more than just a toy.

Admiral Kuznetsov is an interesting concept. Versus our Navy where it is a mobile floating airport and arming/servicing facility, they call it a heavy aircraft carrying cruiser.

Westerners attempt to compare it with US carriers, but I believe Russia had a different intent of it being a special operations carrier, filling a nick.

It belching smoke makes me think it may be using cheaper Bunker-C oil (the dregs of the refinery process) to fuel it boilers, which is considerably cheaper than Navy distillate fuel.

China took its incomplete brother and has spun off an improved version carrier without the belching smoke.

Russia focused its investment in its submarine fleet. With its very wide borders to cover and limited military resources to cover, I think it is more conducive to keep enemies guessing and have a sub pop off surface to air missiles to bring down their enemies.

I find it interesting that through the years, some have lambasted the Cinese for its inferior military equipment.

I think of it as military training aids to learn tactics. Now they have the latest and greatest.

That is what got the US through WW2, until we had better, more superior equipment to end the war with.

I read how the British and it's Commonwealth made do with the Gloster Gladiator biplane until better aircraft came onboard.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Yesterday at 2:11 pm

Third photo shows a Ruskie PPSH, not a Tommy submachine gun Bang! Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:35 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:Third photo shows a Ruskie PPSH, not a Tommy submachine gun Bang! Very Happy

Yes, I noticed that.  Very crude when compared with the finely crafted Tommy Gun.  

While going though Russian and Chinese Carriers I found this picture.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in China_11

They are all carrying Soviet era semi-automatic ceremonial SKS's designed by Sergei Simonov.  All the Baltic countries under Soviet rule and China manufactured them.  I have the Yugoslavian model - Chrome receiver cover, chrome trigger guard, magazine cover, and bayonet.  Very flashy.  I also have the standard Romanian and Chinese models.  Replaced by the ubiquitous select-fire AK-47.  

And also George....Yes not a nuke!  Smile

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in Rus_ca10

Tried to get the Carrier motors to run.  Couldn't.  Everything hooked up, power to the carrier (red light on) finger on the "resistors" water in the back toggle the transmitter and nothing.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:51 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:Third photo shows a Ruskie PPSH, not a Tommy submachine gun Bang! Very Happy
Thanks for correcting me, Levant. Weapon recognition is not one of my strengths. Doh!

Also interesting in the photo are plumbing pipe fittings and other metallic odds and ends strewn in the pile with what looks like a building in the foreground under construction.

Makes me wonder if this was a posed photo op(portunity). Huh...

Bob, you definitely are ahead of me. I don't have the interest in firearms my father and brothers have.

My arsenal is all the saxes, keyboards, ukuleles, guitars, mandolin, etc. Even did the rusky national anthem on sax one cold Winter night in front of a department store for the Salv. Army when customers tapered off.

Yeppers, Bob, the rusky Admiral belching smoke.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:10 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Thanks for correcting me, Levant. Weapon recognition is not one of my strengths. Doh!

Also interesting in the photo are plumbing pipe fittings and other metallic odds and ends strewn in the pile with what looks like a building in the foreground under construction.

Makes me wonder if this was a posed photo op(portunity). Huh...

Bob, you definitely are ahead of me. I don't have the interest in firearms my father and brothers have.

My arsenal is all the saxes, keyboards, ukuleles, guitars, mandolin, etc. Even did the rusky national anthem on sax one cold Winter night in front of a department store for the Salv. Army when customers tapered off.

Yeppers, Bob, the rusky Admiral belching smoke.

I took it as a previously captioned photo George, probably Levent too.

Beating swords into plowshares George. I doubt if it will ever happen. I don't see the evil side of firearms. I only see functionality and beauty of design.

Oh, BTW...........

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in H1r64i10

Said to "Works."

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Yesterday at 4:13 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Tried to get the Carrier motors to run.  Couldn't.  Everything hooked up, power to the carrier (red light on) finger on the "resistors" water in the back toggle the transmitter and nothing.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in P1018417

Robert, I'm thinking the back section of the hull which floods; is meant to provide some dynamic ballast. There's no conductive material there for providing continuity for the motor-circuit.

The drive-shafts/stuffing tubes would provide the necessary conductive-continuity only when the hull is floating in water. Are there any signs of where wires were soldered onto the brass stuffing tubes? I see what looks like "hot-melt glue" on and around those tubes; which would provide some stress-relief for the wires.. if they were soldered onto them.

I would personally BYPASS the finger-switch. Have you tried to connect all those black-wires together? That would "in theory" bypass both interlock systems.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:15 pm

Thanks roddie. I think your on to something. Those little black threads are actually wires on each prop shaft. The conductivity of water may complete the circuit.

The manufacturer was overly concerned about safety. On the later model they increased the warning sign on the stern and molded the propellers in red. They really didn't want you to put your fingers under there.

Yes, my next effort. Short those wires together.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in Don_t_10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:46 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I don't see the evil side of firearms.  I only see functionality and beauty of design.
It is the heart of man that emminates evil motives. The gun is only an accessory. Those who criminalize the accessory as the cause are either totally deluded or have an agenda. I've noticed those pushing such do not address pursuing true justice to heinous crimes.

Knives, sharp tools, hammers and even automobiles have been used as accessories. Goes back to the heart.

I guess, push comes to shove, you can redo the power system updating it to modern motors and controllers, and R/C gear.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:15 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:I don't see the evil side of firearms.  I only see functionality and beauty of design.
It is the heart of man that emminates evil motives. The gun is only an accessory. Those who criminalize the accessory as the cause are either totally deluded or have an agenda. I've noticed those pushing such do not address pursuing true justice to heinous crimes.

Knives, sharp tools, hammers and even automobiles have been used as accessories. Goes back to the heart.

I guess, push comes to shove, you can redo the power system updating it to modern motors and controllers, and R/C gear.

It always upsets me George when I hear "gun violence" expressed on the news.  It's not gun violence anymore than it's Oxycodone violence which kills many, many more people per year than guns do.  It's people violence.  A gun, hammer, or knife just sits there until a person picks it up with an evil intent.  With Oxy there is just less blood but the result is the same.  

Today, we live in a world much different from the one I grew up in so I know the difference first-hand.  I watched the evening news then as I do now.  It's amazing how the character of this nation has changed in the past 70 years.  Now people are told that they are "entitled" back then they just got to work.  

Thankfully, here on the CEF we have diversions..........So, my dual engined, foreign made, plastic boat with little airplanes on the deck keeps me sane and happy.  Smile Smile

I'm thinking about adding one of my old Futaba radios George. Perhaps a couple of shafted Babe Bees too. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Today at 5:15 am

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks roddie.  I think your on to something.  Those little black threads are actually wires on each prop shaft.  The conductivity of water may complete the circuit.  

The manufacturer was overly concerned about safety.  On the later model they increased the warning sign on the stern and molded the propellers in red.  They really didn't want you to put your fingers under there.

Yes, my next effort.  Short those wires together.

Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in Don_t_10

Wouldn’t it be great if the real carrier had a sign like that Very Happy
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down