Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Cox_ba12

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by rdw777 Today at 10:35 pm

» So Cool If you haven't seen it
by getback Today at 10:25 pm

» Ode to a dead cat
by rdw777 Today at 8:28 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by rdw777 Today at 8:21 pm

» Peewee power
by rdw777 Today at 8:04 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 1:53 pm

» some pics....
by Oldenginerod Today at 10:16 am

» Thrust Washer
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:07 am

» Needle-Valve extensions (yellow) for Killer Bee
by EXModelEngines Today at 12:26 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by balogh Yesterday at 6:40 pm

» cox tee dee 010 pulling a Roaring 20 I have reconstructed after the previous one was lost
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 10:08 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Empty
Live on Patrol

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.

Go down

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Empty What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.

Post  DanMc Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:08 am

I have accumulated a lot of parts and stuff over the years, including several different versions of reeds for the reed valve Cox engines. Going by memory, I think at one time the consensus was that the best reeds were the original Cox reeds that were , I think , beryllium copper or bronze? I am interested in the best reed for durability. I have been playing with some 1/2A stunters and recently started working with a Brodak Baby Clown. I originally put a Medallion .049 on it and I couldn't put a big enough tank on the airplane to feed it long enough for doing he entire AMA pattern, and the engine was really more that the airplane needs at only 7.5 ounces. I decided to try one of the product engines that Cox was selling near the end of their involvement with I/C engines, the one with the gray back plate and choke tube. I took the choke tube off and mounted the engine as per normal, and everything was working pretty nicely!! These engines have the two bypass ports with the little helper port on one side. After running the engine while trying to trim the airplane out better, the performance started to drop off. I took the engine apart tonight to check the reed and found that it had the stainless steel reed, that has the straight sides and curved ends. The reed , as it sat in the plastic retainer, showed a circle the size of the circled surface around the intake. After taking it out. It was really marked up and polished where it had been pounding the surface. It even looks like the reed is deformed a bit, giving me the impression that it's too thin. The engine was new when I put it on and I had it apart to arrange the backplate where it was 90 degrees from the cylinder. I checked everything out just to familiarize myself with the insides, as it has been a while since I looked at one, so I know it was new and unrun. Going on what I think I remember from years back, I had some new beryllium copper/brass reeds and put one of those in and we'll see how this goes. I'm assuming the plastic retainer will work OK with this reed. in doing the suck-blow test on both, I think the stainless wasn't sealing like it should and would explain the rough run I was getting that nothing else I did seemed to rectify.

Now that we are in the year 2024, what is the new general consensus as to which reed material is best?? I think I have them all, including some old floppy computer discs to make some from that material. Again, I'm interested in durability, as I think the engine will make more that good enough power, and I just don't want to have to rebuild the intake after each dozen flights. As an extra bit of help, what is usually the max RPM anyone had gotten out of one of these in more or less stock form?? I find it always helps to know where the red line is. I am shooting for a lap time in the 4.5 second range on 40 foot lines or a little longer. I was just trying a set of 42 foot lines because 40 foot was a bit too fast, and then the engine run went south and it got too hot and humid to fly anyway.

Thanks in advance for your help and type At you later,
Dan McEntee
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Empty Re: What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:49 am

I myself prefer the clear Mylar style reed which was available in the 80's Black Widow. While it will get stuck when dormant, it's not like the copper star that gets totally encrusted in green goop. My experience with this reed is that in my opinion it offers higher rpm's. The Mylar type of reed can squeak when you turn the engine over which is a indicator it's working. I also feel it's easier on the tank back due to not wearing off the anodizing like the stainless versions.

Now the downside, it doesn't last as long as the copper star, it can really distort and even when new it might not seal properly. All this equates to taking the engine apart with more frequency. Bernie from Cox International at one time offered a reed which appearance wise looked like a miniature cloth style Band-Aid. Those reeds offered incredible performance. He only offered them in a 3 package. A Mylar, Teflon and one of these Band-Aid looking versions. These were not available in bulk and I believe it was due to him only having so many of them. I never experienced a better working reed. The Band-Aid reed as I reference it requires a little trimming on the corners to fit the tank back properly. The corners have small tags left on them where they were cut.

When I first recognized the Teflon reed it was through Davis Diesel. I found these to work quite well and the most durable reed I ever used. The problem I had is that these are fairly thicker and certain reed clips don't allow the reed to float properly. In addition, I hadn't realized that two were stuck together and the clip never fully seated in the groove. On my best Black Widow the clip came out while running. I still have the case and most would never believe what happened. The clip almost exited out the side of the case. It bulged out the side of the case and you can certainly see the shape of the clip. I've since taken that case and bushed it with a bronze bearing.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Empty Re: What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:03 am

I do not have as much experience with the plastic slip on reed retainer as I do with the metal clip retainer. But I do like the original beryllium copper "star" reed best and save as many as I can but the mylar reed works as well. It seems that once I had miserable results with the "steel" reed but there are so many variables that it could have been fuel or something else rather than the reed.

Great question and I will be following the responses.

I have many "DanMc" items floating around in my display cases. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:26 am

Mr. Dan,
I've read, but not experienced, that floppy disk material can make a good reed. I know finding a floppy disk may be rough in this day.

I can send a few square inches of 3.5" floppy disk (not counting the case), if you would like to try it. I should have your address from the Cobra project. Give me a few days as I'm in GA right now.

Jim in NE MS

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanMc Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:07 am

Thanks for the replies gentleman!! I'll let this ride for a while and see who else has anything to offer. I still have to go through more of my parts boxes to see what I may have. I do have some teflon reeds, that I probably got from Davis Diesel. I have some others from what I think are polypropylene ( has P.P. on the little white envelope ) and what may be the three different reeds that Ken is describing. These are in a small, squarish white envelop. I have a supply of some old floppy discs that my brother gave me several years ago, so I'm fixed up there. I need to get my micrometer of snap gauge out to measure thicknesses more accurately, but from what I saw to night, the teflon was thickest at .005" or .006". All the others were between .001" and .002" If I need to take the star reed out, the teflon reed will get a test next. The test run in the drive way sounded much better, and I hope to fly it again tomorrow if the weather cooperates. The airplane is an ARF model, and had some control issues that I think I have worked out, and last good engine run I had I was able to fly a pretty recognizable pattern. I hope to test other props tomorrow also. Right now, a Cox 5X3 black flexi prop is doing good work and I have some gray 5X3s also. I have a selection of others from APC to try also.
   here are some photos of the stainless reed I pulled out of it. These are not a great grade of stainless, if that is what they are supposed to be, as it is magnetic. Something with more nickel or chromium my be less likely to distort, but I was surprised to see it when I took it apart.

This is the front side, facing the engine case. You can clearly see that it is distorted.
    What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Cox_ss10

And this is the back side, facing the needle. This is after 12 or 15 runs, maybe more
What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Cox_ss11

Again, thanks for the input. Much appreciated!!
Type at you later,
Dan McEntee

DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:14 am

Regarding the rpm-s achievable with COX reedies, see my flight video with a red postage stamp product engine having No1 cylinder and beryllium reed, the only non-stock part being a Kamtechnik head,  turning the prop at 28k+ in the air, in defiance of the common belief, that reeds cannot float fast enough to support rpm-s way above 20k.

Old stock reedies with the circlip retainer will or will not work well with reeds other than the beryllium star. The later mylar, teflon and stainless steel reeds tend to be too thick in my experience and will not move freely behind the circlip. It is the tip of these reeds that is pressed down by the circlip, not the center area, where the tab of the clip is jutting out into the crankcase a bit to allow reed movement.

I know there were circlips made by COX of thinner wire too, that would allow a better accommodation to these later reeds without getting their tips pressed down, but they are a chance to find.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t13833-quickie-100-rc-flight-video?highlight=Quickie+100
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:03 pm

I personally like the copper star best and try and save even the green gooed ones from old engines…. Hoppes # 9 solvent makes them bright again…. I try and never touch them with the fingers because they’re so delicate, Especially after they are clean…..They will stick to a drop of castor oil on the end of a small dowel and can be manipulated in place easily with less risk of damage….Usually the side that was against the port can be seen, I try and use the same orientation
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:37 pm

Hi Dan, I thought I'd share a recent experience with you regarding the use of the newer/grey "Surestart" backplate/carb assy. The ones that I have.. use the "snap-on" type of reed-retainer.

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Cap-st12

I was bench-running with an oblong/mylar reed.. (these mylar reeds came installed in the carb/choke-tube assemblies which I purchased from Cox International) while peaking-out the engine and running a flywheel test.. the engine sagged and "bound-up". I thought I'd seized it.. or ruined it.. but disassembly revealed that the "cap" had popped-off and jammed the crank-pin.. Shocked ...........

Now I don't know if it was on tight to begin with.. or whether the reed blew it loose due to the excessive RPM's.. or a combination of both. Just thought I'd mention that.. because you're using the same type carb.

What's the thickness of the steel reed that was in there? As I stated; mine all came with Mylar reeds that are .005" average thickness. You might have trouble running the thin-copper star-shaped reed in that carb. I'm thinking that you might experience "reed-float".. if it even seats on the piston's down-stroke. Let us know how that goes.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DanMc Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:20 pm

Here is an update on yesterday's flying. Using the beryllium reed didn't work out well, and after several flights, i am pretty convinced that the runs I was having were affected by the reed, as in looking at it after I took it apart, it got deformed like the stainless reed did, and it dis not fit the surface on the intake as well. The needle settings were not very consistent, and the model tended to lean out after take off. This was interesting because fuel consumption went down to less than 5 minutes for the 1 ounce tank where I was getting between 6 and 6:30. I was able to try some different props after flying with the Cox 5X3 black flexi prop. I tried a APC 5X3, and the engine did not seem to like that prop. RPM went up but speed went down. As i was ready to pack it in for the day, I tried a 6X3 Cox black flexi prop, and that loaded the engine better, fuel consumption went back down, and the run was steady, but whenever I tried to pull up into a maneuver, the engine sagged and even quit on one flight. It's amazing how props all seem to run different on these small engines.
 I took the engine apart again last evening, and saw the reed deformed much like the stainless reed. After removing it, where the sealing surface left a witness mark on it like it did on the stainless and I could see that it wasn't 100% covering that surface, and maybe it was leaking a tiny bit. Then the thought of the reed floating that has been mentioned came to mind. I came to conclusion that the beryllium should not be used in the late model plastic retainers. I think t the design is Ok, with maybe one exception. When I compared the sealing surface of the venturi to some other, older 'horse shoe" or "horse collar"  back plate/venturis, I could see that the venturi was bigger, and that the sealing surface stood higher above the grove that goes around it and between the outer surface. I think this may be a source of the issue with deforming the thinner metal reeds. The beryllium and the stainless reeds are both .002" thick by my micrometer. After reading the above comments, I checked out the plastic reeds i have. The plastic reeds in the package marked "P.P" are .008" and .007" this, and the third is the stainless at .002" again. The Teflon reeds were .006". So, I put the engine back together with the teflon reed and we'll see ho that works. I did have some reeds shaped just like the beryllium star reeds, but decided not to try them since they do not seall 100% of the surface.

My nest thing to try will be a complete change of backplate to one of two that I have that were packaged like they were an aftermarket product, maybe from Dale Kirn?  Years ago I had bought a box of stuff at a toy show that contained a complete Cox PT-19 and some other Cox parts and some parts boxes. Inside the parts boxes were all sorts of Cox performance engine part by Jerobee and others I assumed came from KirnKraft. They are while plastic, with aluminum needles with a finer taper, mounting screws, installed beryllium reed and wire clip, neatly wrapped in a stapled plastic bag. i have been saving those for a special occasion and this may be it if I don't get the results I need from the Teflon reed. The picture I am posting with this shows three back plates, the more recent gray , an older red one, and the white one I mentioned, along with the two metal reeds i ran in the gray plastic venturi. This photo shows the difference between the gray unit and the white and red ones. The venturi hole in the gray venturi is .175" while the others are .165" and that may hurt performance a bit, but time will tell. That is one reason I tried the Teflon reed first in the gray venturi. I also took a spare needle from the gray back plates and tapered the needle just a little bit more to sort of match the aluminum needle. I found some Mylar material that is .010 thick or so and may try making a reed from that, and will looks for any other Mylar material I think I may have that is closer to .005". I think that may be the optimum thickness. I also had the thought of trying to make some hard aluminum reeds, as I don't recall anyone doing that. I have some printing plates that are .005" thick or so and will try that. Printing plates are a hard aluminum to be able to take the pounding they do in a printing press and do not form or fold well because they can crack. I think sheet metal guys call aluminum like this 'quarter bend" because any more than a 45 degree bend without a substantial radius will crack. Soda and beer can stock is a harder aluminum and about .005" to .007" thick, and is cheap and  plentiful. Also will make some of the floppy disc reeds.
 Thanks again for the feed back, and jump in any time with any other ides or suggestions.

Type at you later,
 Dan McEntee

These are the possible aftermarket horse collar back plate assemblies. I don't think they are Cox factory parts or they would be in Cox bags
What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Cox_ba10

These are the three backplate/carb  examples I have been looking at. You should be able to see the difference in where the reeds seat , and the hole diameters. Notice below them are the stainless and bryllium reeds I have run, and how close the polish marks run to the edges of the beryllium reed/

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Horses10
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:05 pm

Hey Dan , you want like the Teflon reed tried them with not that good performance and had one fold . The note books with the binder that have that mylar cover are .005" and will work I have used them alot . Bernie from Cox Intern. might would know , its seem to me the 3 pack you could get at one time Ken spoke of had a crystal (what they called it ) reed in it it was a trial pack was a very good reed stiff it was and gone they are ! I see the difference in the holes you speak of that gray one will only work with the reed holder that plastic cap .
I hope I got that right lol but seems .002' is going to bee to thin , seems that red plate will bee your best bet . Interesting I hope you get it figured I been reading on this whole thread .            
Very Happy Small Cox Logo Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanMc Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:26 pm

getback wrote:Hey Dan , you want like the Teflon reed tried them with not that good performance and had one fold . The note books with the binder that have that mylar cover are .005" and will work I have used them alot . Bernie from Cox Intern. might would know , its seem to me the 3 pack you could get at one time Ken spoke of had a crystal (what they called it ) reed in it it was a trial pack was a very good reed stiff it was and gone they are ! I see the difference in the holes you speak of that gray one will only work with the reed holder that plastic cap .
I hope I got that right lol but seems .002' is going to bee to thin , seems that red plate will bee your best bet . Interesting I hope you get it figured I been reading on this whole thread .            
Very Happy Small Cox Logo Very Happy

It will ne nice to get something figured out that will perform well and be consistent and durable. I haven't even looked at what Bernie and EX Engines has to offer yet, trying to use what I have on hand. I would like to be able to use these gray engines because I have so many of them, and the reeds are the only questionable part, really. The first one I tried on this Baby Clown must have been defective, and it went south on my after just a few flights. I took it apart, and found that the piston/rod socket was so loose I was surprised that it didn't come apart!! And it literally only had 5 or 6 flights on it at a reasonable RPM and prop load. I reset the socket as per normal, and had a nice clearance in it, but the engine just would not run right after that. It seems to bind and catch a bit at the bottom of the stroke, and I had not ever seen that before. I just grabbed another engine, did a few careful break in runs on this one, and it's been OK except for the reed issues. The weather is cooling off here now, and just need the wind to cooperate to tests fly. Thanks for the heads up on the Teflon reed. I'll report back on what this one runs like. If any more problems arise, I'm going to use the red back plate, set up like the white ones, since I have all of those parts on hand.

Type at you later,
Dan McEntee
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:22 pm

You know now that U said that , I remember at one time we where finding the old gray B-plate had some that were cracked ,, The red one should work for you I think, with so many of them heck takem off sellem on ebay and purchase this a few ?? https://coxengines.ca/back-end/cox--049-backplate-red.html Very Happy they only have the mylar that i seen .. Strange about the binding after the reset , I guess the piston still rotated on the ball after the reset ??
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:02 pm

Hey Dan, Here's a few photos of my reed-stock.

Below photo is of a mailing-envelope which has some measurements that you might find useful.

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Oem_re10

I found (as Eric/getback mentioned..) that .005" thickness plastic-sheet can work well for making reeds for use in the carbs that have a "cap-style" retention system.

I also like to use what I have on hand and used a circle template to lay-out my homemade reeds onto some random .005" plastic-sheet that I had. Check plastic packaging that you'd ordinarily discard in the trash.. to see if there's a flat piece that's near that thickness. You may have enough for a lifetime supply of reeds.

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Oblong11

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Oblong10

There's a few different ways to make the shape.. and I honestly don't feel that it's imperative to have them be perfectly symmetrical.

I use ordinary household shears to cut-out the pieces.. and for making the star-shaped reed; I just "nibble" semi-circle cuts using a hole-punch.

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Dsc05513

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Dsc05514

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Dsc05515

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. Dsc05611

If your carb uses a circlip reed retainer.. be aware that the "wire-size" (diameter) can vary. Many modelers don't understand how much this can affect the function of the reed. My circlips vary as much as .005" in wire-size/diameter. (see my photos below) If I had to guess why; I'd surmise that when Cox later changed to the thicker Mylar reed.. this required a smaller wire-size to prevent "pinching" the reed against the housing.. which would prevent its functioning. The "blow/suck" testing-method should reveal a reed that is pinched.

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. _028_w11

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. _031_w11

What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines. _033_w11

It's in your best interest to "measure" the wire-thickness using a precision instrument.. and separate them into small bags/envelopes marked with their size for future reference.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DanMc Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:04 pm

Yes, the socket felt really good to me. It had just a hint of endplay and rotated easy. It was REALLY had to get it that way, like there was too much metal in the socket. I don't think I ever had to hammer one as hard as I did that one. That's OK, I can still use lots of the other parts. The gray engines that i have all , so far, have had the stainless reeds. I remember tinkering with these as a kid but never had the problems with the reeds like these do, and I think it's because of the way the surface of the gray plates are made. Cox was probably just using up what they had to assemble them and then clearing them out, so you just have to learn to deal with it. mix and match parts to get something that runs!
Type at you later,
Dan McEntee
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DanMc Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:11 pm

Hi Roddie!;
Thanks for the pictures. My stuff is not very organized but over the many years I accumulated things, I'm sure I have a variation of a lot of things. I read about the different clip wire sizes also somewhere else. That might be a winter project, spend a day just sorting, identifying and separating parts. The dimensions and tools for making the reeds will be handy also. Thanks for posting!!
Type at you later,
Dan McEntee
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DanMc Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:28 am

i spent some time practicing to cut some reeds from a floppy disc. I took a short length of 15/32" round brass tube, chucked it in a drill, and filed one end down to about .457" I sharpened the end like we would for punching holes in paper or balsa, and used that to cut some discs out by putting the floppy on a cutting mat sitting on a firm surface, and then tapping the tube with a hammer. it would make neat discs for two cycles or so, then needs to be cleaned up again using the drill.. Then I just laid a stainless reed across it, evened it up and sliced the sides off. The put each one in a back plate and tested it with the suck/blow test and I'm in business. The floppy discs I have are .003" thick. I finished the Diet Pepsi I was drinking and cut a piece of can out to measure and it's .004" thick and pretty dog gone stiff. I did not cut any from the aluminum stock yet. This reminded me that I have some colored plastic shim stock from when I worked in the printing business as a maintenance tech. We used the plastic to shim print units to their final height and level them. Some of these print units weigh about 25,000 pounds, and when I measured this material after taking old presses out, I measured it against the known thickness and it did not crush at all!! The neat thing about this shim stock is, it's color coded and goes down to .0005" and up to .010" in .001" increments !! You could make reeds in several thicknesses and tell them apart just by looking at them. The shim stock is made by Artus Corporation and they specialize in this kind of product along with gasket material. A sheet of the .005" material is colored blue, and a 5" by 20" and costs less than 5 bucks!! I have an email in to them asking what type or plastic it is made from, just so I know, but from what I have seen of this stuff in person on the job and in use, it's pretty damn tough!! I made a reed out of the blue .005" stock and it will be the next to get tested if the Teflon reed in the engine now does not perform up to snuff. I'll keep this thread posted.

And again, roddie!! Thanks for posting those photos and the information!! It really helped out a lot!!

Type at you later,
Dan McEntee
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:31 am

Just a little more info. on reeds Dan.

Roddie's Redneck Reed thread

Experimental Reed-Valve Test
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down