Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things Cox_ba12

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -July 2024-
by robot797 Today at 6:42 am

» AJ/JW .020 Firebaby Jr. Pretty neat
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Interesting ebay C/L carrier model w/Super Tiger
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:02 am

» Vintage Vornado fan project
by roddie Yesterday at 3:28 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 1:13 pm

» The "Funky Bee"
by GallopingGhostler Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:46 pm

» Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things
by rsv1cox Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:32 pm

» Internet buy
by Cribbs74 Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:45 pm

» Simple Gliders
by getback Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:57 am

» Set Up for Semi-Serious Stunt on Norvel .061 Big Mig
by DanMc Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:25 am

» Fox 07 R/C
by davidll1984 Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:12 am

» Scratch-Build 2021
by roddie Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Cox .049 Marine inboard engine."

More info on this engine!

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things Empty
Live on Patrol

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things

Go down

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things Empty Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:45 am

I spent 20 years in the Navy and still marvel at these things.  How do they stay afloat.............well tonnage of water displaced by tonnage of steel.  But this thing looks balanced on a knife edge,  Ford class carrier.  I never served on one but my son did, Nimitz and Truman.  

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things Ford_c10

And..........metal things  do not get much more attractive that this.  Packard/Merlin engine.  Think Spitfire and P-51D.

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things Rr_mer10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things Empty Re: Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things

Post  rdw777 Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:27 pm

Marvels if engineering both of them…. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing a Merlin up close but not a carrier….. Practically a city at sea….. Hopefully only to be used as a deterrent…. Very trying times we are living in….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things Empty Re: Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 30, 2024 2:40 pm

rdw777 wrote:Marvels if engineering both of them…. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing a Merlin up close but not a carrier….. Practically a city at sea….. Hopefully only to be used as a deterrent…. Very trying times we are living in….

I spent about an hour on the USS Siapan a carrier docked at NAS Pensacola in 1957 picking up parts for our 2-F-23 flight simulator which was based on the F-80.  I remember the hangar deck as a cavern, you could get lost in here I thought.  The Siapan was used to train NavCads (Naval Aviation Cadets) in carrier approach, landings, and take-offs.

At that time the Navy was transitioning from the F9F Panther which was used in Korea to great advantage and flown by John Glenn and Neil Armstrong.  Lot's of them at Pensacola along with the later more powerful swept wing Cougar.

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things F9f_pa10

Yes, Ship killing drones, hypersonic missiles and a big floating target.  But, we tried sinking the USS America a while back and couldn't get it to sink.  Carriers have counter-measures.

The Baby Killer on the loose.  I could write pages.  But know that Russia has the GNP of Texas while we have that GNP plus that of the other 49 states.  We would blow them away and they know it.  Russia can't even keep their single carrier operational.  Sleep soundly and be thankful that you are a citizen of the USA or a NATO member nation.

But, China is building super carriers and are pushing the envelope. The difference is - you can talk with the Chinese. Their economy is based on trade and we are their biggest trading partner. Neither of us want to upset that balance.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:12 pm

When I was a little kid I would also wonder how a ship could float, being metal and heavy. Then I saw one in dry dock and I realized how much you don’t see.

Love the Merlin!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:57 pm

Speaking of ships is why I bought Walt Musciano's book on model ships. Yes, a view of a ship out of water would give a child a different perspective.

F9F Panther would make a good .049 powered Musciano Scientific hollow log styled model C/L prop jet. I think Walt had one he made, photo in a book of it being Dynajet powered.

I downloaded Walt's Douglas B-66 hollow log plan, an interesting out of the ordinary plan.

You don't see prop jets modelled often.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:32 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Speaking of ships is why I bought Walt Musciano's book on model ships. Yes, a view of a ship out of water would give a child a different perspective.

F9F Panther would make a good .049 powered Musciano Scientific hollow log styled model C/L prop jet. I think Walt had one he made, photo in a book of it being Dynajet powered.

I downloaded Walt's Douglas B-66 hollow log plan, an interesting out of the ordinary plan.

You don't see prop jets modelled often.

F9F Panther would make a good .049 powered Musciano Scientific hollow log styled model C/L prop jet.

Yes, I think that Walt modeled it, either that or the F-80.  I always keep my eye out for one.  

The F9F Cougar, the only aircraft to share the same model designation with the Panther.  Shown here in trainer colors red and white.  

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things B3cca710

And the primary trainer version - the F9F-8T.  I crawled all over them while stationed at Pensacola.  Thankfully I signed up for the Aviation (brown shoe) Navy thanks in most part to my control line days. Green stripes instead of white.

My wife came to Pensacola with me in 1956.  A Navy brat, her Dad was an Officer during WW2.  She was used to Navy life.  His ship the battleship USS Utah was sunk at Pearl Harbor and he spent the war on the USS Pyro an ammunition ship in the Pacific theater.  

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things 1280px26

Contrast with todays Navy F/A18 (Fighter/Attack) Super Hornet.  Managed airflow, mach 1.6.  Two aircraft for the price of one.

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things Us_nav10

Kids 18/19 year olds maintain these, and not much more than kids including women fly them.  This country has a lot to be proud of.

Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things 4c32fd10
Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things First_10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down