Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Cox_ba12

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:26 pm

» The Three Stooges
by roddie Yesterday at 11:01 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Green vent..
by roddie Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:59 pm

» 049 Tee Dee needle valve bodies and 049 TD engines - Potential flaw
by Cox International Yesterday at 4:33 pm

» PSA propellors!!!
by robot797 Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» My First Balloon Tank Attempt
by roddie Yesterday at 11:42 am

» Fall S.M.A.L.L. 2024 Wednesday October, 16th.
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 am

» Who purchased one of my manifolds and has a tuned pipe that will fit to it?
by davidll1984 Wed Oct 16, 2024 6:15 pm

» OK Cub .024
by 049kid Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:31 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by 049kid Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:17 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2024
MauricioB's

"Cox .049 Circa 1975, custom."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?

Go down

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Empty Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?

Post  Myk Mon May 27, 2024 6:08 pm

Hi, Well, my question is which came first? :-) The Champion or the Special?

I guess the Champion was first with it's Cameron Glow plug engine , and then the Special as the engine is considered the first Cox engine (mostly)

But there are ads that show both the Cox Thimble Drome Champion & Special on the same page.

The Thimble Drome Champion seems to just have come in 2 versions, powered and non powered, yes, in many color combos and chrome versions.

And there were quite a few variations of the Special Pusher (Non powered), with the fake exhaust pipe, and with out, different casting variations, Grill area, and different chassis widths, and there was an uncommon Clockwork wind up motor variation.

And I have never seen non powered Champion or Special packaging...

Any way, I find this all fascinating, but can not find a definitive time line for the creation and release dates of Roy Cox's first metal toy cars... I do know late 1940s it to the early 50s..

If any one has knowledge or where to find such info, it will be appreciated :-) thank you , ~Myk
Myk
Myk
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Empty Re: Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?

Post  crankbndr Mon May 27, 2024 6:55 pm

Here is a timeline from Martin Hepperle's website. Obviously a Cox fan. For some reason it is hard to link straight to the Cox info in his site.

Use this link to open his site then click on Cox engines on the left of page. Now your in the Cox info page click on "model database" then cars.
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/index.htm

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Scree107
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Empty Re: Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?

Post  crankbndr Mon May 27, 2024 7:19 pm

After looking over the dates I don't think they are correct. The Special .045 came before the .09 Doodle Bug, the .15 Champion and the .19 Lightning Bug. The later three all Champion bodies.

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Scree108
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Myk Mon May 27, 2024 7:36 pm

crankbndr wrote:Here is a timeline from Martin Hepperle's website. Obviously a Cox fan. For some reason it is hard to link straight to the Cox info in his site.

Use this link to open his site then click on Cox engines on the left of page. Now your in the Cox info page click on "model database" then cars.
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/index.htm

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Scree107

Wow, thank you ! Thats a big help! I'd love to know where he got his info.. Prob early catalogs or knew some one back when...

Ive been buying these in different variations from ebay at a detriment to may wallet, But I do find them fascinating, Now to find supplies to rebuild the 045 engines at some point..

Thank you again ! ~Myk :-)
Myk
Myk
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Myk Mon May 27, 2024 7:44 pm

crankbndr wrote:After looking over the dates I don't think they are correct. The Special .045 came before the .09 Doodle Bug, the .15 Champion and the .19 Lightning Bug. The later three all Champion bodies.

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Scree108

well, I understand the engine in the Champions are Cameron (like in the Rodzy) , and the Special motor was Cox's first inhouse engine, but it used some Anderson parts (Prob the cylinder & head, this is a guess)

So I was confused too... the Champion seems to be a much more sophisticated model, which made me think it came later,

but perhaps, cost cutting measures were needed, so along came the Special ... So no I don't think the dates are perfect but are close if not, and there may be other variations of the special, This is what I'm trying to figure out...

and how the non motorized Specials were packaged.... if at all...

And thank you again! ~Myk
Myk
Myk
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon May 27, 2024 8:45 pm

Kinda funny even though made by Cameron Thimble Drome was on the crankcase.

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Img_1811
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Myk Mon May 27, 2024 10:26 pm

crankbndr wrote:Kinda funny even though made by Cameron Thimble Drome was on the crankcase.

Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?  Img_1811

That is interesting..
Myk
Myk
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down