Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Cox_ba12

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by Coxfledgling Today at 8:09 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Empty
Live on Patrol

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee

Go down

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Empty A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee

Post  roddie Fri May 17, 2024 8:42 pm

I bench-ran a .049 reed-valve engine last weekend as part of a water-cooling test. I had set it up with a choke-tube and an experimental velocity-stack.. which created too many variables for my test. It didn't go well.. lots of gremlins came out of the woods... and stuck their fingers in my work..  Laughing (that's my story.. and I'm stickin' to it..)

This afternoon.. I got the urge to reconfigure a different engine.. in a similar way.. but not water-cooled. The engine came in a "box-O-engines" that I sourced a few years ago. A Babe Bee with a single fill-tube on the backplate.

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Dsc04310

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Dsc04315

missing needle.... and a cam-style starter-spring.. without a hex drive-plate.  Huh...  

Very clean inside..

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240548

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240547

I donated a needle from my Bee needle stock... stuffed the 5cc bowl and mazac/zamac backplate in a little baggie.....  Smile  and proceeded to put together an alternate "back-end" for the little mill.

I gave the back of the crankcase's gasket surface a little "massage".. over glass and 600 grit paper...

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240551

I had done a "needle-seal" using silicone tubing on the water-cooled engine's carb. and I wanted to do the same to this engine. I paid a bit more attention to the fitting of the tubing... to the needle.

I found a small flat-washer that fit perfectly around the needle-shaft and up against the spring-collar.

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240553

then I cut a length of tubing* to make a seal.

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240552

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240554

There's ample clearance for both; the tubing-seal.. and the flat-washer retainer.

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240555

With the back-end/carb. configured; I decided on a cylinder-orientation. The choke-tube (height) interferes with a parallel cylinder if using the Cox (Sandblaster) heatsink.. and the Cox heat-sink is replacing the water-cooling for this engine's testing. Therefore; I reoriented the cylinder position from 12:00 to 3:00; which will work for an application that is waiting.

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240557

Orienting the cylinder/crankcase 90 degrees from the NVA when using the horseshoe backplate/carb. leaves one of the four engine-mounts inaccessible from the front-side. This can be defeated by the use of #5 cap-screws and a ball-end driver.

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240556

I made some modifications to the bench-mount. When the engine "ran" for the water-cooling test; the tank was gyrating..

I'm actually "happy" that my little custom clunk-tank fed the engine.. until I pinched the line. I decided to make a mount to keep it still..

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240558

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240560

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20240559

Oh.. almost forgot; the velocity stack is made from a brass compression-fitting with a heat-shrink sleeve to lock it in place.

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Veloci12

If the weather permits tomorrow; I'll run er' up... and report.  Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Empty Re: A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee

Post  MauricioB Fri May 17, 2024 10:21 pm

Friend, I must highlight the quality of your work and presentation, it is to be applauded.
I follow your progress although sometimes I don't write, Roddie...my first friend from the USA!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Empty Re: A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee

Post  roddie Fri May 17, 2024 10:35 pm

MauricioB wrote:Friend, I must highlight the quality of your work and presentation, it is to be applauded.
I follow your progress although sometimes I don't write, Roddie...my first friend from the USA!

I Love You my friend! We share a common bond!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenman38633 Sat May 18, 2024 8:02 am

I can definitely learn a lot from watching your posts. Thanks Roddie
Greenman38633
Greenman38633
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat May 18, 2024 8:16 am

I hope you get to run it calling for rain again through day/night today Sad Too much! ! anyway looks good , I like the tank and mount you have made . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:39 am

I Like that too . How did you leak proof the tank And do you think a pill bottle would work ?
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 18, 2024 2:55 pm

Roddie, love your experimenting, shows a creative mind at work. Today, seems many just like to go with the flow and not find there is more of the world out there to explore, and we can do it with both for fun and humor.
Clean my glasses Popcorn Thumbs Up bounce sunny Beer Cheers Clapping This Site Rocks!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 18, 2024 3:28 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Roddie, love your experimenting, shows a creative mind at work. Today, seems many just like to go with the flow and not find there is more of the world out there to explore, and we can do it with both for fun and humor.
Clean my glasses Popcorn Thumbs Up bounce sunny Beer Cheers Clapping This Site Rocks!

Yes, I bet roddie saves pen springs too. Mine just went dry. Nothing goes to waste. Multitude of uses.

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee P1017658
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 18, 2024 3:31 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I bet roddie saves pen springs too.  Mine just went dry.  Nothing goes to waste.  Multitude of uses.  
Yes, I do that too, I think we are not alone in accumulating potential repair material for our engines and the planes/vehicles/boats that are powered by them. I find a certain amount of joy when I find a solution that works perfectly well and restores function.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun May 19, 2024 12:37 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:I bet roddie saves pen springs too.  Mine just went dry.  Nothing goes to waste.  Multitude of uses.  
Yes, I do that too, I think we are not alone in accumulating potential repair material for our engines and the planes/vehicles/boats that are powered by them. I find a certain amount of joy when I find a solution that works perfectly well and restores function.

So now there are 4 of us who use these springs haha..
Don't forget the lighter (encendedor de cigarrillos) stone springs which are perfect for the Cox Babe Bee .049/ Black Widow/ Queen Bee tank hose etc. etc.
Lighter (encendedor de cigarrillos) O-rings are also used for tanks, among other things!
And don't forget the springs and aerosol valves... I'm a "ciruja" haha

humor:
"ciruja" in Argentina: Person who makes a living by going through the garbage.

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 19, 2024 6:12 am

Greenman38633 wrote:I can definitely learn a lot from watching your posts.   Thanks Roddie

Thanks for your interest Mark. We don't see much use of the choke-tube.. so I thought it would be good to give it some attention.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 19, 2024 8:23 am

akjgardner wrote:I Like that too . How did you leak proof the tank And do you think a pill bottle would work ?

Hi Joe, I sourced a package of .5oz. (15cc) clear plastic bottles w/caps from Amazon.. I guess it would depend on your type of pill bottle..

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Sm_clu24

I used 3/32" alloy tubing for my fittings. I "melted" holes through the plastic bottle cap using a short piece of the tubing and a "pointed-tip" in my little pencil type soldering iron.

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Sm_clu25

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20231178

This forms smooth "burr-free" holes. The cardboard seal inside the cap must be removed and punches made to align with the holes in the cap. I actually made my own cap-seal using the "coated" cardboard found in refrigerated food packaging which is more resistant to "soak-through".

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20231181

I soldered little steel flat-washers onto my tubes to prevent them pushing-through the cap.. and beveled the ends.

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20231180

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20231179

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20231182

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee 20231183

The "clunk" is a fishing worm-weight. This was actually my first time using the little tank and it worked pretty well considering it was bouncing around quite a bit.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 19, 2024 10:48 am

rsv1cox wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:Roddie, love your experimenting, shows a creative mind at work. Today, seems many just like to go with the flow and not find there is more of the world out there to explore, and we can do it with both for fun and humor.

Yes, I bet roddie saves pen springs too.  Mine just went dry.  Nothing goes to waste.  Multitude of uses.  

Absolutely!!! I get a LOT of enjoyment from tinkering, measuring, fitments/fit-ups.. It really helps to have supplies, stock and tools to work with... not to mention; an open/creative mindset.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Empty audio-tach anyone?

Post  roddie Sun May 19, 2024 2:54 pm

Please see THIS thread.. thanks. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:12 am

Roddie, I audiotached your vids, and here are the peak values I recorded:

No 1 vid:A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Screen58

No.2 vid:
A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Screen59

I did not measure significant difference.

( To put it in the context of our discussions regarding "ram air charging" I meant under this term a setup, where the propeller air is blasted directly into a scoop on the carb,  whose axis is parallel with the propeller airflow..so those notes of mine on ram air charge do not apply to your bench runs where the carb air intake is perpendicular to the prop airflow.)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:39 am

balogh wrote:Roddie, I audiotached your vids, and here are the peak values I recorded:

No 1 vid:A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Screen58

No.2 vid:
A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee Screen59

I did not measure significant difference.

( To put it in the context of our discussions regarding "ram air charging" I meant under this term a setup, where the propeller air is blasted directly into a scoop on the carb,  whose axis is parallel with the propeller airflow..so those notes of mine on ram air charge do not apply to your bench runs where the carb air intake is perpendicular to the prop airflow.)

Thanks for the audio-tach readings Andras! Yes.. I understand and agree my friend. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down