Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project - Page 4 Cox_ba12

New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by rdw777 Today at 5:35 pm

» So Cool If you haven't seen it
by getback Today at 5:25 pm

» Ode to a dead cat
by rdw777 Today at 3:28 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by rdw777 Today at 3:21 pm

» Peewee power
by rdw777 Today at 3:04 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:53 am

» some pics....
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:16 am

» Thrust Washer
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» Needle-Valve extensions (yellow) for Killer Bee
by EXModelEngines Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by balogh Yesterday at 1:40 pm

» cox tee dee 010 pulling a Roaring 20 I have reconstructed after the previous one was lost
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:08 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project - Page 4 Empty Re: New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project

Post  Tee Bee Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:57 pm

My mind is subject to change but I'm currently planning to set the plane up for backplated reedie .049s. I've got a variety of setups in that platform from basic Surestarts, to Killer Bees, hybrids with mixed parts, and full on custom builds with machined and anodized parts that Tim Wiltse made for me years ago. There is no plan to use a throttle ring currently as much as that choice seems to disappoint a lot of folks. I have a few flying Coxes with throttles but I generally go with the basic old school committment of wide open thrills when I toss them. That's why I'll probably bolt up a down-tuned engine for trimout duty and work up to a hotter mill once she's dialed in. I'll probably install a vented 1oz tank depending on how the available space works out. There are several ongoing model projects in the works but I'll try to put this one high on the priority list!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project - Page 4 Empty Re: New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project

Post  kazaklisglider Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:12 am

Hello,

Thanks Troy,

You are always kind to share photos/ videos, this is really nice and is appreciated by all of us!

Yes a basic 0.49 reedie is pretty good choice for first test engine and one can progress to higher power after model is test flown and trimmed out, the stock Black Widow is a good choice and my all-time favorite… it’s also a direct bolt on the already predrilled firewall hole pattern… there is sufficient space in the hatch compartment for a 1oz tank.

Wish you the very best enjoyment with your new micro Quickie 100!

PS: Troy was right on time when he ordered his model as after a sort time days USA restricted incoming shipments… at present I have in my workshop a closed package containing two Quickies that where bought from a fellow RCG member and awaiting for the restriction to lift up so i can commence shipment.

Regards Tasos.
kazaklisglider
kazaklisglider
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 pm

I have started to tinker with my little Quickie a bit in short work sessions as time allows between other projects. I modded/redrilled the firewall to fit a backplated reedie.049 as I’ve planned all along. Here’s a sneak peak of things to come.

New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project - Page 4 999aaa10
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 am

Good color scheme for a pylon plane. RC Plane
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:48 am

I like green!

New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project - Page 4 358c1d10
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:33 am

A little mockup. Still lots to sort out but it looks promising!New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project - Page 4 7a151e10
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:40 am

You "Green Dude" You!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:04 am

That will do Troy well done!

Small Cox Logo RC Plane
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:41 am

Looks very similar to a SIG Hummer. I like it!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:01 am

Nice job Troy. Did you paint it or applied Oracover or similar film and if yes, at what temperature setting? I applied mild heat on the foam wing only and it worked well leaving only a few bubbles on the carbon leading edge reinforcement.

What kind of nuts will you add to the firewall to follow the horseshoe backplate mounting pattern? Glued, or the blind nuts with recessed lip to stick in the firewall?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:29 am

Thanks guys! Cribbs 74, this model is much smaller than a Hummer, about 11” less wingspan. I actually plan to build an .09 powered Hummer soon and recently completed a Willy Nillies Hummer 250 which is a scaled down version of it. The WN version is about on scale with this little Quickie but still has a longer wingspan of about 29”.

Andras, the film covering is from Willy Nillies. It is basically like Oracover/Ultracote Lite. I didn’t take temp measurements as I applied it. I just turned up the iron only as needed for application, being careful not to melt the wing. I ended up with some slight wrinkles on the bottom that I may or may not try to shrink further. Initially, I was able to get it to lay pretty flat. After sitting overnight, the wrinkles always reappear. The only way to get rid of them is to turn up the heat, so I may elect to leave them for now. As for the firewall, I drilled new holes for the backplate. Filled the pre-drilled holes with toothpicks. I found it a little amusing that Tasos worked so hard to assemble these planes with great precision and even pre-drilled the mounting holes for several engine setups but the most commonly used pattern for .049s wasn’t considered. 😄 I’m using nutplates on the backside to allow easy engine removal. They are installed in 1/8” holes and use 2-56 socket head screws. That’s how I mount most of my Cox stuff. When sealing the firewall with resin, I always coat the inside of the mounting holes as well and drill them out again later to get the wood sealed. After inserting the nutplates, I use a drop of epoxy on the flange to keep them in place for the duration.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:47 pm

Thanks for the details Troy. After my maiden flight in March over a none's land/unkempt terrain with dry weeds sticking up high on the ground, the bottom of the foam wing got one sharp dent, and despite the Oracover was not slashed, I decided to add an extra layer of adhesive film used in color printers. It adds a few gramms of dead weight, but I need that armor because of my non-association to flying clubs with manicured flying fields (I am not even sure if such fields exist in my vicinity..)

I also fill the mounting holes with Polyurethane spray after I tuck toothpicks into the nuts from the backside, because otherwise castor seeps in the mounting holes and saturates the plywood firewall. I make sure the toothpicks are removed before the spray cures... Very Happy

I think Tasos designed the firewall for the symmetric mounting patterns of TeeDee020 and Babe Bee backplates and the latter happens to be the same as on the Carl Goldberg mounts...hence my choice for the red postage stamp backplate  reedies.

I am looking forward to seeing your Quickie when ready for the maiden and of course the maiden itself.

Good luck, András
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:03 pm

I’ll be sure to share the finished results and flights with you guys. It will be a while as I’m stepping away from the models for a while and taking some time off work to prep for and take a motorcycle trip.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:02 pm

I am doing the same on smaller scale...already rode my lil Honda to our summer house at lake Balaton and will ride the heck out if it around the lake.. Very Happy
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:25 pm

Sounds great, Andras! Be safe. I’m heading from south Texas up to Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado. Leaving the humid coastal flatlands for a little riding in the cooler mountains. Really looking forward to riding Beartooth Pass for the first time! About 6k miles in 2 weeks on the road.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:47 pm

Friend, good trip! ... I will be waiting for your return and thus see that model in the air! ...
Take care!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:07 am

I’ll be checking in to follow that Pitts!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:35 am

Tee Bee wrote:Sounds great, Andras!  Be safe.  I’m heading from south Texas up to Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado.  Leaving the humid coastal flatlands for a little riding in the cooler mountains.  Really looking forward to riding Beartooth Pass for the first time!   About 6k miles in 2 weeks on the road.  

Troy that trip you will cover in 2 weeks is truly enviable...checked out Beartooth Pass on Google Maps, that scenery is unbelievable..reminds me of Yosemite that we drove around with my wife some 2 years ago.

I wish we had similar places in my small flatland country with the highest point at 3300 feet or so Smile
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:49 am

I live at sea level where it is flat and very humid year round. It is a 1000 mile trip to reach the Rocky Mtns to reach higher elevations, cooler temps, and dryer air this time of year. It is a 2 day journey each way to reach the mountains. We usually cover 650 miles on the first and last day, which doesn’t even get us across Texas! On this run we are hoping to take in the Beartooth Hwy, Yellowstone Nat Park, and the Grand Tetons before heading down to Ouray, CO. We will make a base camp there for day rides in different directions. Other riding friends will be joining us along the way, people we have met on previous adventures. With the pandemic, we will be social distancing this time. It will be a bit awkward as we will be avoiding crowded situations when possible, eating away from others, etc.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 am

This is my adventure traveling rig, a Suzuki VStrom 650 Adventure. I originally bought it in 2012 for a trip to the Arctic Ocean in Alaska in 2014. It has since become my “magic carpet” of sorts, carrying me to many awesome places each summer! It’s not a beautiful motorcycle but is set up to be durable, reliable, and comfortable on all sorts of roads from interstate highways to dirt trails. This bike has opened up the opportunity to experience things I had never dreamed possible on the streetbikes I’ve been riding all these years. A whole new way of looking at the world! I have made lifelong friends in the process, much like my aeromodeling adventures!
New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project - Page 4 F4eab110
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4