Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Cox_ba12

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WEN-MAC STORY
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:37 am

» PSA propellors!!!
by KariFS Today at 12:16 am

» Just found this
by batjac Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» I Got Cheated!
by batjac Yesterday at 10:35 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» Wen Mac Aeromite/Challenger
by getback Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by rdw777 Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:46 am

» COX FUEL ?????
by 1975 control line guy Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:29 am

» The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp
by getback Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:19 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:52 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Empty
Live on Patrol

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture.

Go down

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Empty My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture.

Post  batjac Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Each plane I have gets its own handle, so once the lines are adjusted, they're set until the plane crashes or I want to change line length.  But, I never seem to have anyone around when I change my lines and need to adjust them for neutral elevator.  So, I use my handy dandy adjustment fixture.  After cutting my lines to length and attaching the handle, I loop the line around a handy lamp in the living room and hold the plane in my left hand while tweaking the lines in the handle in my right.  Works pretty good for Spectra lines.
My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. DSCN1566_zpsb5f4b671

The Dandy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Empty Re: My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture.

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:15 am

Hey, good idea, Just make sure your wingtip points directly at the lamp post.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Empty Re: My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture.

Post  batjac Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:00 am

RknRusty wrote:Hey, good idea, Just make sure your wingtip points directly at the lamp post.

It did.  I just had to hold the plane and handle both in one hand to get the pic, thus the wing not pointing exactly at the lamp in the photo.

The Off-Point Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:41 am

If you need to set elevator-neutral at the field, here's a handy little thing to keep in your field-box for small models. These are Popsicle sticks.. but you could use longer thin strips on models with a longer chord stab/elev.

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Elev_n10
My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Elev_n11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:55 am

Popsicle? You mean "lollipop" sticks

http://www.craftyarts.co.uk/kids-creativity-c7/kids-activity-packs-c435/lollipop-sticks-1000-pieces-p5426?gclid=CKbU5f2Ghr4CFTHItAodAlQAMg%3Fgclid%3DCKbU5f2Ghr4CFTHItAodAlQAMg#11742
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Empty RE:My custom,handcrafted line adjustment fixture

Post  rat9000 Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:18 am

That is one neat little trick roddie,anything else up your sleeve! Its off topic but I was tapping crankcase 2 56 holes this morning on gummed up 049s, using wd 40, working engines as I went.Ran out of wd, found some Liquid Wrench it freed engines up right now.The stuff was black coming out of engines.
rat9000
rat9000
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:21 am

ian1954 wrote:Popsicle? You mean "lollipop" sticks

http://www.craftyarts.co.uk/kids-creativity-c7/kids-activity-packs-c435/lollipop-sticks-1000-pieces-p5426?gclid=CKbU5f2Ghr4CFTHItAodAlQAMg%3Fgclid%3DCKbU5f2Ghr4CFTHItAodAlQAMg#11742

Popsicle....
My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. VNeFbqK

Lollipop...
My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. XzHSGOL

Great Idea Mark and Roddie for that matter. That should help when I am alone.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:26 am

ian1954 wrote:Popsicle? You mean "lollipop" sticks

"Craft Sticks" actually... in standard and "Super" sizes.

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Stock-12

I do so much scratch-building/designing.. that I like to have things like this on hand.

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Stock-13
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:45 am

Mark.. sorry to derail your thread. If you're at the field alone and want to actually see the degree of elevator deflection using your idea; just bring a round tent stake with you and stick it in the ground at the 1/2-way distance of your lines to center-circle... and walk your handle back to the airplane. Even if you're flying over pavement.. there's usually grass/dirt nearby for set-up.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My custom, handcrafted line adjustment fixture. Empty RE:My custom,handcrafted line adjustment fixture

Post  rat9000 Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:19 am

Mark,I was taking a second look at your plane,I'd like to see a couple of pictures of it.Whats the wood.Tks rat (Mark)
rat9000
rat9000
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:17 pm

roddie wrote:Mark.. sorry to derail your thread. If you're at the field alone and want to actually see the degree of elevator deflection using your idea; just bring a round tent stake with you and stick it in the ground at the 1/2-way distance of your lines to center-circle... and walk your handle back to the airplane. Even if you're flying over pavement.. there's usually grass/dirt nearby for set-up.

Roddie, I'm not a serious pattern flyer.  Hobbies lose their fun when I get too serious about them.  Other than the detail for the Reed Speed plane, I just make my planes look nice, and then turn them loose.  I just like to go roundy-roundy with the occasional loopdy-loop.  Once the lines are set up initially, I don't find a need to tweak them at the field.  Good enough is good enough for my kind of flying.

The Loopy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:23 pm

rat9000 wrote:Mark,I was taking a second look at your plane,I'd like to see a couple of pictures of it.Whats the wood.Tks rat (Mark)

Rat, the wood is just plain balsa. The plane is my BTC-2 from this thread:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6512-the-btc-2-build

The Plain Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu May 01, 2014 2:16 am

batjac wrote:
roddie wrote:Mark.. sorry to derail your thread. If you're at the field alone and want to actually see the degree of elevator deflection using your idea; just bring a round tent stake with you and stick it in the ground at the 1/2-way distance of your lines to center-circle... and walk your handle back to the airplane. Even if you're flying over pavement.. there's usually grass/dirt nearby for set-up.

Roddie, I'm not a serious pattern flyer.  Hobbies lose their fun when I get too serious about them.  Other than the detail for the Reed Speed plane, I just make my planes look nice, and then turn them loose.  I just like to go roundy-roundy with the occasional loopdy-loop.  Once the lines are set up initially, I don't find a need to tweak them at the field.  Good enough is good enough for my kind of flying.

The Loopy Mark

You know Mark; you and I have very similar aeromodeling interests, as well as skill-sets. Building/designing has always given me a lot of pleasure over actual flying. The amount of small of small 1/2A C/L airplanes that I have, greatly outnumbers my larger models with built-up construction. This season I'm looking to finally finish a couple of bigger models because of their increased performance, slower speed and the ability to penetrate breezy weather better than the small ones. I like the idea behind your BTC series though.. and you are very right about keeping it fun.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Mark did you fly the btc 1 ? just read the other tread , would like to see the out come of this build  Biplane I have one of those engines and was woundering what I could do with it  Huh... nice I understand the extra wood for strength , but the monakote is easier to repair  lol! Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 01, 2014 8:31 pm

Mark, My Dad talks sometimes about when they flew back I would say in 1948 or so that they would just cut some pieces from plywood and fly knowing they would be fixing them soon as to not take a lot of time to build one , and material was slim for a child . I am sure they were using large ignition engines though with prop buster on them lol! Food foe thought I guesss Popcorn  Two Cents  Flying Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down