Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly Cox_ba12

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Betty Skelton
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:46 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 5:03 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 10:30 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by roddie Yesterday at 10:02 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:19 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly Empty
Live on Patrol

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly

Go down

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly Empty Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly

Post  Blue Eyes Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:45 pm

I removed the cylinder. And I removed the clip from the muffler. Should the muffler slide off of the Cylinder?
Blue Eyes
Blue Eyes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly Empty Re: Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly

Post  microflitedude Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 pm

Yes, the muffler should freely rotate and slide down off the cylinder. If it's gummed up you will need to soak it in a solvent to soften the hardened oil. If it's not too bad you might could get away with just using a heat gun to warm it up.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly Empty RE Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly

Post  Blue Eyes Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:34 pm

Than you. I am soaking it i alcohol over night. I will check it tomorrow.
Blue Eyes
Blue Eyes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly Empty re: soaking in alcohol

Post  happydad Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:45 am

Blue Eyes wrote:Than you. I am soaking it i alcohol over night. I will check it tomorrow.

what type of alcohol? isopropyl alcohol is mostly water and can corrode the engine parts. i use old fuel. fuel is only good for so many years then the nitro starts to loose it's potency.

happydad

RC Plane  Futaba Radio  RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly Empty Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly

Post  Blue Eyes Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:09 pm

It was isopropyl alcohol. now it soaking in fuel. How long do you the cylinder and muffler soak.
Blue Eyes
Blue Eyes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly Empty Re: Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Do you have a heat source? Perhaps a heat gun or maybe a propane torch?

Hit it with a little heat and slide it off. Soaking will work if you want to wait a while. Heat works in seconds.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly Empty re: soaking in fuel

Post  happydad Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Blue Eyes wrote:It was isopropyl alcohol. now it soaking in fuel. How long do you the cylinder and muffler soak.

I usually soak in fuel for at least over night, then twist and turn the components, muffler, to see if it is loose. if it isn't loose I use an old tooth brush on the areas between muffler and cylinder. NOTE: I ALWAYS use rubber gloves. I paid $5.00 for a box of 500 at Harbour Freight Tools, a local place to buy cheap tools. Note I said cheap, not quality. Some tools are good for many years and some breakdown soon. You get what you pay for.

p.s. I just received a Cox Medallion .049 today and I need to start the same process of cleaning and checking tolerances.

happydad

RC Plane  Futaba Radio  RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Eyes Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:49 am

Thank you. I tried lighting a piece of wood and tried that it did not work, apparently that was not hot enough.
Blue Eyes
Blue Eyes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:28 am

Just try putting the cylinder and muffler into an oven set at around 250. Leave it there for 1/2 and hour or so, remove it with leather gloves and give the muffler a twist. I don't see why it would be too difficult, but some times old caster oil can be stubborn.

Cheers.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:46 am

Blue Eyes wrote:Thank you. I tried lighting a piece of wood and tried that it did not work, apparently that was not hot enough.
No, that was probably only 450 f degrees or so. A heat gun will get up to as much as 1100 degrees f.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:19 am

I've been chastised for it before but I find an easy way to add heat is to drop the engine in hot water. I heat water in a coffee cup in the micro to boiling, drop in the engine and let it soak for 10
min. Works every time.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:26 am

Providing there is no plastic, delrin or rubber on the engine. I put them in a pan and boil them. As long as dried afterwards and oiled there should be no problem.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jsesere Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:11 pm

Go to the local thrift shop or Goodwill and buy a $5.00 blow dryer. Heat is the way to go.
jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly Empty RE Help I am having trouble removing the muffler from my .049 Dragon Fly

Post  Blue Eyes Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26 pm

I finally got the muffler off the cylinder. What I did was to use a candle liter three times. I know that open flame is very very dangerous but i was very very very very careful. I used the candle liter away from the fuel.  Very Happy 
Blue Eyes
Blue Eyes
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down