Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tomorrow's the big day or how I became a lumberjack! - Page 4 Cox_ba12

Tomorrow's the big day or how I became a lumberjack! - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:46 pm

» Betty Skelton
by roddie Today at 6:44 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by Ken Cook Today at 5:03 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Today at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Today at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Today at 10:30 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by roddie Today at 10:02 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Today at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Today at 7:46 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 7:19 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tomorrow's the big day or how I became a lumberjack! - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

Tomorrow's the big day or how I became a lumberjack!

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Tomorrow's the big day or how I became a lumberjack! - Page 4 Empty Re: Tomorrow's the big day or how I became a lumberjack!

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:19 am

Mark Boesen wrote:Hi Ron, congrats! It doesn't look that bad on 17' lines, it looks like about 4 sec. laps, you'll love the longer lines.

Thanks Mark,

Yeah, you would think it I would have cut down the tree in the background already but, alas ethanol fuel has turned my chainsaw's fuel lines to powder. So once I get that sorted everyones invited over for ribs and brisket. Bring your planes!
lol!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow's the big day or how I became a lumberjack! - Page 4 Empty Re: Tomorrow's the big day or how I became a lumberjack!

Post  coxaddicted Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 am

Really cool. My neck is a little bit dippy while watching.

In a few days my cl / warhawk will be delivered, so it will be the first time for me too. I am a little bit scared to einscheissen myself Rolling Eyes

Edith says: It is not possible to write [bleep], so I changed to german language
coxaddicted
coxaddicted
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:04 am

cribbs74 wrote:
Mark Boesen wrote:Hi Ron, congrats! It doesn't look that bad on 17' lines, it looks like about 4 sec. laps, you'll love the longer lines.

Thanks Mark,

Yeah, you would think it I would have cut down the tree in the background already but, alas ethanol fuel has turned my chainsaw's fuel lines to powder. So once I get that sorted everyones invited over for ribs and brisket. Bring your planes!
lol!
I'm there Razz
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:07 am

coxaddicted wrote:Really cool. My neck is a little bit dippy while watching.

In a few days my cl / warhawk will be delivered, so it will be the first time for me too. I am a little bit scared to einscheissen myself Rolling Eyes

Edith says: It is not possible to write [bleep], so I changed to german language

I hope your plane is well used...... If not it will be. Your best bet would be to go into it expecting a few crack ups. That way it won't sting so bad when you bury it. I'm no expert but, you can probably pick up level flight within a few runs. Make sure the engine is reliable as it makes a huge difference on line tension if it's sputtering about.

If you notice near the end of my video the engine starts to run out of fuel and I start to flail about trying to keep the lines tight so it doesn't drop out of the sky. No tension= no control.

It is a blast to do and well worth the effort.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:08 am

nitroairplane wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:

Thanks Mark,

lol!
I'm there Razz

I'll leave the light on!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddicted Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:19 am

cribbs74 wrote:

I hope your plane is well used...... If not it will be. Your best bet would be to go into it expecting a few crack ups. That way it won't sting so bad when you bury it. I'm no expert but, you can probably pick up level flight within a few runs. Make sure the engine is reliable as it makes a huge difference on line tension if it's sputtering about.

If you notice near the end of my video the engine starts to run out of fuel and I start to flail about trying to keep the lines tight so it doesn't drop out of the sky. No tension= no control.

Oh no. It is in NOS Condition, maybe not the best device to try it out. mhh...
I think I should look for a heavy used trainer before destroying the warhawk.
coxaddicted
coxaddicted
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:47 am

coxaddicted wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:

Oh no. It is in NOS Condition, maybe not the best device to try it out. mhh...
I think I should look for a heavy used trainer before destroying the warhawk.

Yeah if it's NOS you may want to find something less vauable to earn your wings on.

Kits are cheap.........
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:33 am

Nice flight! very consistent motor also, stable rpm's thru the run.

Maybe crank a bit more rudder into it so you don't have to chase tight lines so much as it runs out, and it will slow it down just a touch..

The Hickory definitely has to go,,I could see it in the background licking it's lips, waiting for it's snack.

Drunken sailor stagger at the end,,lol,,perfect avitar!
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:49 am

PV Pilot wrote:Nice flight! very consistent motor also, stable rpm's thru the run.

Maybe crank a bit more rudder into it so you don't have to chase tight lines so much as it runs out, and it will slow it down just a touch..

The Hickory definitely has to go,,I could see it in the background licking it's lips, waiting for it's snack.

Drunken sailor stagger at the end,,lol,,perfect avitar!

You caught that eh? I was kinda frantic at the end trying to keep the lines tight. lol!:

I actually clipped the Mulberry tree where my wife was recording when I wandered off center. She wasn't impressed although she did soldier on and kept recording though.

Good idea on the rudder, it's not offset a whole lot.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:40 am

When it runs out and power drops off,,any little inward tug during the coast phase, will slack the lines obviously and change the track of the plane. Try to avoid that as much as possible, just let it do it's thing and glide. A person kinda gets that "whew, i made it" feeling and is in hopeful relaxed mode during the coast,,but it's not over yet, you still gotta get it down in one piece. Fly it to the end and a successful touchdown. When the motor dies, you have prop drag because it isn't spinning anymore. Kinda like slamming on the brakes. So if you pull it off circle, that drag is kinda like a rudder as I see it and it will want to continue in that direction.

I see the plans indicated rudder settings as more of a guideline, than a set in stone, must do it this way, type of thing. Each plane is different and will tell you what it wants. A few more grams of outboard wing weight is another adjustment you can set to your liking for that outward tug/lines tight. When I did fly C/L (bad knees now), I set the rudders over probably double or more than the plans indicated setting. My father being a Private Pilot, could see that it needed more rudder and he was right. good old dad!.

With all that being said, you did a awesome job Ron, Really good Job.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Too much rudder offset and/or excessive line drag causes the plane to "crab" detracting from it's overall flight performance. If you have aspirations of becoming a good CL pilot you should learn this early on.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:53 pm

Yup, to much rudder will kill performance,,but when you are in training just doing level circles , a bit more wont hurt anything and it will get your confidence up.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:Video!!!!!!!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plcp&v=GPiMdQ8-2y4

I can't view this video for some reason, keep getting "Can't find page"

ideas, anybody?
It's a mobile link, lemme fix that.

Great, thanks, Indra! works perfectly now.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:31 pm

The plane has very little offset that I can see, to compound the issue the rudder was flattened by a very young me so, when it was repaired there is a good chance it wasn't set correctly.

There is a ton of tip weight on the outboard wing so I am sure that's good. Since I have snapped the fuse in two places trying to learn to fly and knocked a nice sized chunk out of the leading edge when I hit a tree I suppose it's time for a makeover to include adding a bit more rudder offset.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys! I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I really wish I hadn't waited so long to do this.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Put about 8 tanks through the Wizard this evening.

Made some poor wingover attempts. Not really sure if the Wizard can do anything more than level flight and up an down.

I don't have a ton of deflection on the control surfaces but, I messed with it a while and it's all I can get out of it. If I give full up elevator all it does is climb and not very fast at that. Loops would never be possible.

I will say it slowed it waaaaaay down using 25' lines. Maybe I should use Kim's RR1 on it. Very Happy
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:41 pm

cribbs74 wrote:I will say it slowed it waaaaaay down using 25' lines. Maybe I should use Kim's RR1 on it. Very Happy
That and a 5 or 5.5" prop will wake it up... if it runs as fast as my Mudhen-built RR1. Try a 5x4 prop if you have one. That's a good speed prop.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:51 pm

RknRusty wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:I will say it slowed it waaaaaay down using 25' lines. Maybe I should use Kim's RR1 on it. Very Happy
That and a 5 or 5.5" prop will wake it up... if it runs as fast as my Mudhen-built RR1. Try a 5x4 prop if you have one. That's a good speed prop.

Yeah I have a 6x3 on the babe bee right now. I can go down to a 5" or so and see if that picks the speed up some. I have a good running black widow too so that's an option. As far as the lack of response to control inputs I suppose a built up wing is my next option. Come on Brodak!!!!

Control line rocks!!!! You can't do as much as RC but, it a heck of a lot of fun in it's own way.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:19 pm

PV Pilot wrote:Drunken sailor stagger at the end,,lol,,perfect avitar!

Geez, I've done that both with an airplane and as a sailor! :-)

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lousyflyer Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:32 pm

The best part of teaching someone to fly is watching them stagger at the end of their solo. Happens every time!
lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:48 pm

I had been told that the Lil Wizard can stunt. I never could with mine or my friends. I think it would have to have quite a bit of engine on the nose to do much of anything. Mine was rather light. No breaks on it. I tried a Black Widow and still got nothing.

Rolla
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:14 pm

It would help if you added another inch or more of trailing edge to the wing.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow's the big day or how I became a lumberjack! - Page 4 Empty Re: Tomorrow's the big day! (VIDEO!!!!!!)

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:46 pm

Ron, if you do decide to try the Black Widow, use a bit of caution. The Wizard has all that rubber band contraption on the firewall and the gear. During landings even on grass, I tore out the overflow pipe on my tank. The gear isn't strong enough if built in the stock configuration as it flexes too much. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:03 pm

RknRusty wrote:It would help if you added another inch or more of trailing edge to the wing.

That may work!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:19 pm

shawn cook wrote: Ron, if you do decide to try the Black Widow, use a bit of caution. The Wizard has all that rubber band contraption on the firewall and the gear. During landings even on grass, I tore out the overflow pipe on my tank. The gear isn't strong enough if built in the stock configuration as it flexes too much. Ken

Ken,

The rubber band mount for the firewall has long since dissapeared. As such it's just hard mounted now. I could have used that original mount as it might have saved me snapping off the nose when I was first trying to figure things out.

I agree the landing gear is very flimsy at best. I will beef things up in that area if I should ever use a stunt tanked engine.

I think it's time for something with a built up wing. And save this old bird for my son to learn on.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:39 pm

I actually like the rubber band on mount. I converted my Skyray to use one. I would never put a RR 1 on it. But it holds rather nicely and I like to think it has helped save a good number of props.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum