Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. Cox_ba12

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WILLY NILLY
by balogh Yesterday at 11:39 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:35 pm

» TD .049 Scratch Build
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by Admin Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» willies nillies
by MANDALAY Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Betty Skelton
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 3:10 pm

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 3:00 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:20 am

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:30 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc.

Go down

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. Empty Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc.

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:37 pm

Perhaps one of Cox's most popular models.

The Curtiss P-40 aircraft had different names depending on the variant and the country using them:

P-40 Warhawk: This was the name used by the United States Army Air Corps for all models of the P-401.
P-40 Tomahawk: This name was used by the British Commonwealth for the early models, specifically the P-40B and P-40C1.
P-40 Kittyhawk: This name was used by the British Commonwealth for the later models, starting from the P-40D and including all subsequent variants1.
The main differences between the Tomahawk and the later Warhawk/Kittyhawk models included enhancements like additional machine guns, self-sealing fuel tanks, and more powerful engines 21.

The Russians also used them in WWII to say nothing of Clare Chennualts "Flying Tigers."

So, Mark has this flea market vendor friend that goes around to all the local craft shows and looks out for models that Mark, and indirectly me might be interested in.  He found this Cox P-40 Warhawk in pretty good used condition.  A perhaps one or two and done flyer with the control handle still attached.  I like that.  Castor gooey with time honored flat tires probably last used in the 70's/80's.

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017987
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017988
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017986

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017989
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017990

What caught Marks attention was the internal stooge and the darkened canopy.

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. Scan_240

It's going to need some attention.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. Empty Re: Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc.

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:05 pm

Bob, those P-40's look very well preserved for something that is 50 to 60 years old. Hard to believe that over a half century has passed by.

Still got an unbuilt Midwest 33-in. wingspan profile C/L P-40 Warhawk once my living situation settles down. Was targeting my Cox .15 Sportsman for it. It will be probably as loud as the Testor's .19 McCoy Red Head I had previously targeted for it. But where there are no noise restrictions should be a pleasant sport flyer.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. Empty Re: Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc.

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:51 pm

I would like to see that Midwest P-40 built George.  The .15 Sportsman being my first larger than .049 Cox engine should be a good fit for it.  

This Cox example must have been ran sloppy rich, Lot's of gooey castor on my fingers that gets transferred everywhere I touch.  Over the years it dripped onto the contents of the box.  Spare wheel boxes that the PO bought as replacements etc.  Came with a Cox battery and an envelope with the remote stooge clip and kick-out dacron.  Unusual to see the clip still intact.

Coming apart.  Sticky!!!!  Three self-tappers on the fuselage holding the two halfs together and careful working back and forth to loosen the castor.  It took a soldering iron the remove the mount screws.  Thanks to Rene for the tip.

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017992
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017991

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017995
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017994

Notice the offset.

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017997

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017993

I looked for the "P-40" stamp on this "Special Bee" engine but did not find it.  Only a #1 marked stepped cylinder.  My other "Flying Tiger" engine has the P-40 stamp.
Engine is locked up and will require a complete cleaning.

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1017996

I write and picture this stuff in the vision of some 60/70/80/90 YO in the future doing an internet search for "Cox P-40" and finding it then contacting the forum with the standard intro here - "I remember flying one of these back in the 70's -etc. etc"  Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:17 pm

Looking good thus far, Bob, given the forensics. Regardless of markings, does the cylinder have dual bypasses? Then it has the desired higher performance to lug that heavy model with authority, like an early Black Widow. However, it could also be possible the previous owner replaced the cylinder, but hopefully no changes rendered.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:32 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Looking good thus far, Bob, given the forensics. Regardless of markings, does the cylinder have dual bypasses? Then it has the desired higher performance to lug that heavy model with authority, like an early Black Widow. However, it could also be possible the previous owner replaced the cylinder, but hopefully no changes rendered.

Gooey mess George, but it does have the dual bypasses.

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018006
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018005
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018004
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:55 am

With dual cylinder bypass ports, you scored big, Bob, congrats! Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:16 am

It a Super Bee Bob >> Product Engine .049 (0.8 cm³)

Manufactured in 1975 (#350-1, ECJ #39f)

This Super Bee engine was used in the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk and came with a cylinder having 2 transfer ports. It still used the classical cast metal back plate and not the later delrin plate. From <> https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm Nice mess for you to clean up Laughing This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:59 am

Thanks guys.............

SUPER NASTY......varnish everywhere, cooked on.  Fuel tank left with half a tank.  But - surprise - a "W" element glow head!

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018009

Seldom do I use a brass bore brush to clean the cylinder of varnish, but this one was extreme. Careful application, one pass with MMO cleaner/lube.

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018010
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018009
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018011
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018013
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018012
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:09 am

Nice find Bob, I wish I could restore it or a similar one....too few, or rather,  approx zero such finds are likely  in my part of the world.

The P40 was stamped on thin wall cylinders only AFAIK, not on stepped wall cylinders...I have one sitting on a Frankenstein RR engine.

I devarnish my cylinders, instead of the metal devarnisher  brush, with cotton earbuds drenched in kitchen grease remover spray fluid sold for cleaning e.g. microwave or gas ovens...very efficient and leaves the cylinder unscratched/intact. No need to remove the cylinder either..only fix the piston top to sit flush with the top of the exhaust port so that the fluid should not drip into the crankcase, wipe cylinder wall with the bud drenched in degreaser fluid  until last bud remains white, crank the engine till piston hits TDC, remove all dirt from piston top, then wipe cylinder wall again with alcohol or nail polisher, oil it, and you are good to go..done that multiple times in my COX cylinders ranging 010...09

Do not apply on aluminum surface, may cause discoloration of the crankcase..only steel surfaces to be touched.

Possibly wear a rubber glove, the fluid will dilute human fat in fingers, you will feel your fingers slippery if no gloves are used...flushes off easily in water, with no skin inflammation or similar if flushed off within minutes..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:12 pm

Awesom Bob , the p40 is my all time favorite ww2 airplane and my favorite cox airplane, I think I have 6 in my collection . ( yes , I’m a hoarder) Very Happy
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:28 pm

Thanks Andras -

Cotton earbuds drenched in kitchen grease remover - Known as  Easy-Off oven cleaner over here Andras. I use it to remove paint on plastic models.  Works well and doesn't hurt the plastic.

Welcome to the club Joe.............

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018014

Not proud of it.  "Wall of shame" I call it - where good flyable models go to die.  No more room on the wall, the latest P-40 lays on the floor.  Some day my son will turn them all back into cash and take a first class airline seat over to Europe and do a tour.  Not a first for him.  He's been there courtsey of the US Navy.  

I had my enjoyment discovering the thing.  Interesting assembly, Cox made some improvements to the procedure.  

From a gooey mess to Mr. Clean.

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018017
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018016
Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018015

Packed away, but I'm keeping the "Perfect" wheels.  I'm always looking for them in this .049 size.  BTW, the Cox spring starter did not make the cut.  I hate the things, but I did include it in the box.

Notice, the box arts camoflage matches the model.  Which came first.............

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018018
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  latole Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:43 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Bob, those P-40's look very well preserved for something that is 50 to 60 years old. Hard to believe that over a half century has passed by.

Still got an unbuilt Midwest 33-in. wingspan profile C/L P-40 Warhawk once my living situation settles down. Was targeting my Cox .15 Sportsman for it. It will be probably as loud as the Testor's .19 McCoy Red Head I had previously targeted for it. But where there are no noise restrictions should be a pleasant sport flyer.

I have six P40 .You can find many on E-Bay
latole
latole
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:01 pm

latole wrote:I have six P40 .You can find many on E-Bay
Inasmuch as these particular Cox RTF C/L aircraft were things of beauty, I have purposely limited myself to focus instead on balsa kits of the same, which I have unbuilt.

Although nice, these RTF now command a rather hefty price. Thus, I will admire them and the stories in CEF, but life being as short as it is, enjoy their crafting in balsa and other materials. I started out in stick and tissue rubber powered aircraft in the mid 1960's, and thus have a love for building and finishing.

I still have that childlike wonder when I see something that I crafted take to the air, whether a glider, rubber power, or "gas". Check with own eyes Popcorn Wink sunny Old Bugger lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:32 pm

latole wrote:
I have six P40 .You can find many on E-Bay

Yes, one of the more popular modeled airplanes. A reliable airplane quickly overcome by progress.

Amen George, while I enjoy the plastic models both in research and in repairing there is nothing like balsa. My Sterling P-40 has been rebuilt at least three times.

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. Scan_212

Get out one of those unbuilts and build it. I'm feeling kinda lonesome around here building stuff...................... Summer doldrums maybe. Missing Rusty's projects.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:57 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:I still have that childlike wonder when I see something that I crafted take to the air, whether a glider, rubber power, or "gas".

Me too George….. I like them in all flavors…. The building part is fun too Very Happy

rsv1cox wrote:I'm feeling kinda lonesome around here building stuff...................... Summer doldrums maybe.

I’ve got one going Bob…. My wife is liking the throw glider thing at the ballpark so I’m building her a Sweepette……. Ken planted the seed for that one in my glider thread  Thumbs Up

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. 2dbb9e10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:42 pm

Ken planted the seed for that one in my glider thread

Ken, AKA Johnny Appleseed.  Smile

You, roddie and several others always have something going on.  Flying, building, engine projects.  I'm active only because the weather is keeping me inside.  Record setting heat and drought here in WV.  My normally green lawn is brown.  On a drought map of the USA there are two red (severe) dots.  One right over Capon Bridge, the other death Valley.  Wish I was kidding.  

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P1018036

Cox P-40 Warhawk - Tomahawk, Kittyhawk, Thimble drome etc. etc. P-40_e12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:02 pm

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down