Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Simple Gliders - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Simple Gliders - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rdw777 Today at 1:37 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...The Zipper Finally Gets a Little Love.
by rdw777 Today at 1:34 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» Critter saver
by roddie Today at 11:36 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (July 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 11:06 am

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by Oldenginerod Yesterday at 8:01 pm

» I will bench run a choke-tube (.049 reed-valve) accessory with custom velocity-stack and aero-prop, later on today for the holiday
by roddie Yesterday at 5:04 pm

» Old Glory...................
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:47 pm

» Vintage Vornado fan project
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:54 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 12:08 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -July 2024-
by akjgardner Yesterday at 5:49 am

» **Black Lynx Engine Giveaway Jan-June 2024** Cox Engine of the Month
by Admin Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Cox .049 Marine inboard engine."

More info on this engine!

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Simple Gliders - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Simple Gliders

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Simple Gliders - Page 2 Empty Re: Simple Gliders

Post  rdw777 Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:20 pm

Thanks fellas… This has been a no hurry, Enjoy the ride type project….
I bet your Jetco T-18 with the orange trim was a cutie George….. Orange, Good for finding in the grass or brush….. A lot can be learned and enjoyed from these simple gliders….
Here’s a plan shot below from the book for the first version of T-18…. Designed by John Zaic instead of Frank….. Very similar to T-20, Just more lightly built…. Had an 18” span at that time….. It seems as the Zaics started commercializing their designs thru JASCO and later Jetco the gliders got a little smaller but kept the same names….

Simple Gliders - Page 2 1edb0010
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:33 pm

Hi rdw777,
Thanks for sharing this project.
Balsa elliptical wings are awesome....
My theory is:
Elliptical wings,
Were bashed up square wings...
That crashed allot....
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:29 am

Regarding elliptical (or semi-elliptical) versus squared wings, I remember that the North Pacific gliders and rubber powered cheaper ones were squared. The 5 and 10 cent gliders had squared off tips with edge slightly rounded. The 15 cent Skeeter rubber powered had squared wing tips slightly smaller than the 25 cent Sleek Streek, which had rounded wing tips and slightly larger wings with more wing area. (These were mid 1960's prices retail in Biloxi, Mississippi.)

However, allowances didn't go far, so I learned that I could salvage the landing gear on a very hard used and broken Sleek Streek on the Skeeter, which came without landing gear but flew fine as ROG (rise off ground) when landing gear was added. The Skeeter at times was my go-to plane, because it was 10 cents cheaper than the Sleek Streek.

I kept these planes as best repaired as I could, using the model airplane cements of the day for balsa wood, Pactra, Comet, Ambroid, Guillow, and etc.

The sheet balsa surfaces were easily mended with glue and extended their flight worthiness. Thus, what only lasted a couple days for some kids would last for weeks with me.

Also I did some experimenting by taking two crashed Sleek Streeks and halving the elevator, used that as wings. It flew faster with the smaller wing area, but it flew.

ROG was a lot of fun and could entertain for hours during the calmer morning and afternoons in the Gulf Coast school yards and friend's house yards.

During windier weather, I flew the 10 and 15 cent North Pacific paper and spruce stick kites. These had the images of the Korean War jet fighters like the F-86, F-90 series, Grumman Navy Panther, F-84, Mig-15, and etc. in pastel colors with black screen print, light red (pinkish), orange, green, blue, and etc. (As far as I recall, you didn't know what plane you had until you unrolled the kite.) The kites required a tail for ballast stability, but they were easy to fly, relatively foolproof. Fun was affordable.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Yesterday at 12:08 pm

Interesting theory on elliptical wings Dave, Very well could be!! Very Happy …. It seems they were very popular in the 30’s and 40’s…

Thanks for sharing the nice memories George…. Mine are very similar with those North Pacific ready to fly’s as a kid…. I’m sure nearly all our CEF members are similar, Most here seem to be from that generation….. I don’t think we realized at the time we were learning basic aerodynamics, Fun times Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down