Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Cox_ba12

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:49 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by rsv1cox Today at 12:32 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Mike1484 Today at 10:07 am

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Today at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:05 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Yesterday at 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:32 pm

» PSA propellors!!!
by robot797 Yesterday at 3:29 pm

» Internet buy
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:38 am

» I Got Cheated!
by roddie Yesterday at 11:27 am

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Empty Re: My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine

Post  F4D Phantom II Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:10 pm

Hello
            Thanks for your kind words. I taking my time because for me the building of a model gives me the opportunity to try different things. I have experience building model airplanes CL and RC and some of that experience I have been putting to use on this build. Another thing is that I don`t have a dateline to finish the model and I`m enjoying doing this boat as much as working on the engines it will be a new experience going to a pond or lake and try model boating.

My cousin`s son was into model boat racing and I did some work on his Zenoah Engines but never went to the races. He quit racing and gifted me a Deep vee with an engine many years back but I never felt the urge to try it so is sitting on my workshop. He will be assisting me when we go to run my boat. He is a veteran from the Iraq war where he  saw action deactivating improvised explosive devices and in combat.

Juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Empty Re: My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine

Post  davidll1984 Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:01 am

I possibly have a suggestion for the controller I recently bought one and I am very satisfied the receiver is water proof in fact it is an improved receiver model to buy as an option but it is not expensive the one supplied with the controller can be modified easily water proof the contrôler is the fly sky fs-gt3c It comes with a rechargeable battery that can be powered with an external battery like the one used to charge a cell phone. But already a single battery charge lasts a long time The receiver that is waterproof is the fs -gr3E My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 17203610
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 17203611
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 17203612
It's slightly difficult to understand all the functions but once you understand it is very easy to program, limit the travel expodential end point and even mix the channels The pros and cons the good is the price the receiver its not expensive so adding two receivers to the water test does not add much to the purchase price the controller itself is affordable budget friendly for the functions Good and simple a rechargeable battery with good capacity and for the cons Thing I like least is the position of the steering wheel, which is very distant and difficult to control with one hand.
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:00 am

Hello David
                       Thanks for the information of the Fly sky radio. I have been looking at them and a few other radios on ebay. I want a radio with waterproof receiver and servos. I have time to search since finishing the boat is going to take a while. Thanks again for your advice David.

I was thinking about not using the cabin that came with the kit but changed my mind as I didn`t want an exposed engine since I felt that the boat would not look right. I thought about modifying the cabin and to that purpose I made one out of cardboard to see how it would look. I ended with making a cabin with a lower profile and leaning back the windshield area for a more aerodynamic shape and looks. I realized I won`t be able to use all the kit parts because they already had diecut windows. I will be using some plywood I have to shape the parts to the way I like.

Juan

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7611
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7612
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7610
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Produc10
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:14 pm

Your cabin shape has a nice look to it Juan. Be sure to search info. on "waterproof" radio components for the boat. Waterproof generally means.. that it's ok.... for the component to get "splashed".. but NOT submerged. You can take measures to make your on-board electronics more waterproof. I've been researching it.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:48 am

I like the way it is sleeked back more air streamed at the windows , here is one video on water proofing https://www.google.com/search?q=waterproofing+receiver+for+submarines&sca_esv=b716066298432941&sxsrf=ADLYWIJmTRDnzDrVywtRaHrPlEeddJUReA%3A1720521892255&ei=pBSNZr-hD6C0wN4P-ZScwAU&oq=waterproofing+receiver+for+submarian&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiJHdhdGVycHJvb2ZpbmcgcmVjZWl2ZXIgZm9yIHN1Ym1hcmlhbioCCAAyBxAhGKABGAoyBxAhGKABGAoyBxAhGKABGAoyBxAhGKABGAoyBxAhGKABGAoyBRAhGJ8FSMFwUKMVWMlTcAF4AZABAZgBmwKgAdcMqgEFNC45LjG4AQHIAQD4AQGYAg6gAusKwgIKEAAYsAMY1gQYR8ICBhAAGBYYHsICCxAAGIAEGIYDGIoFwgIIEAAYgAQYogTCAgUQIRigAcICBRAhGKsCmAMAiAYBkAYIkgcEMi4xMqAHrk4&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:327bc2e6,vid:OxymFn7zc8I,st:0
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:34 am

roddie wrote:Your cabin shape has a nice look to it Juan. Be sure to search info. on "waterproof" radio components for the boat. Waterproof generally means.. that it's ok.... for the component to get "splashed".. but NOT submerged. You can take measures to make your on-board electronics more waterproof. I've been researching it.

Hello roddie
                            Thanks for the tip I will be water proofing my electronics. on the cabin I was influenced by the Scientific Buckeye model boat. I liked the shape of the cabin and decided to copy it.

Juan

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Buckey10
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:38 am

getback wrote:I like the way it is sleeked back more air streamed at the windows , here is one video on water proofing https://www.google.com/search?q=waterproofing+receiver+for+submarines&sca_esv=b716066298432941&sxsrf=ADLYWIJmTRDnzDrVywtRaHrPlEeddJUReA%3A1720521892255&ei=pBSNZr-hD6C0wN4P-ZScwAU&oq=waterproofing+receiver+for+submarian&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiJHdhdGVycHJvb2ZpbmcgcmVjZWl2ZXIgZm9yIHN1Ym1hcmlhbioCCAAyBxAhGKABGAoyBxAhGKABGAoyBxAhGKABGAoyBxAhGKABGAoyBxAhGKABGAoyBRAhGJ8FSMFwUKMVWMlTcAF4AZABAZgBmwKgAdcMqgEFNC45LjG4AQHIAQD4AQGYAg6gAusKwgIKEAAYsAMY1gQYR8ICBhAAGBYYHsICCxAAGIAEGIYDGIoFwgIIEAAYgAQYogTCAgUQIRigAcICBRAhGKsCmAMAiAYBkAYIkgcEMi4xMqAHrk4&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:327bc2e6,vid:OxymFn7zc8I,st:0

Hello getback
                            You have given me the information that I needed. I will be taking the receiver I will be using apart and doing the waterproofing. I was impressed by the guy placing the receiver in a glass of water and it still worked.Thanks for the tip.
                                                                                  Juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:43 am

Cool glad I could help , keep us updated Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:03 pm

Here's another drawing of the Scientific Buckeye that I thought you might want. I love the look!

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Scient10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:26 pm

Hello roddie
                     Thanks for the photo I will save it in my docs. I have been working on the half pint cabin and also made a scoop for the front to direct air to the engine carb. It has taken me a while since I made a few scoops that I discarded and the angle and shape of the widshield also was a little tricky for me. I will be using clear plastic for the windows but will apply them after I finish painting.  I have glued the cabin together and added a 3/8 balsa top to shape the top of the cabin like the one on the Buckeye jr. boat. I still need to sand it to the shape I want but I`m working on it. Here are pics.
                                                                                    Juan

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7613
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7615
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7614
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7616
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:47 pm

I am LOVING the way you're building this boat Juan!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:33 pm

roddie wrote:I am LOVING the way you're building this boat Juan!!!

Hello roddie
                  I`m glad you like it. My sons like it too. I hope I don`t make a mistake on my first try at boating when I take it to the lake or pond. I have always wanted to do a Chris Craft in a big scale like the Chris Craft sedan out of mahogany but I have other projects that I want to do. I have done some sanding on the cabin and is taking shape like I want. Here is a picture of the Chris Craft Sedan and the sanding on the cabin that I have done.

Juan

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 0a635f10
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7620
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7619
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jul 14, 2024 6:27 am

Oh yes it coming together really Nice ! I like the scoop gives it character and the slick back look of the cabin , good job Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:06 pm

Hello getback
                         I`m glad you like it. I modified the kit to make the boat look sleeker and to add performance by reducing drag. I know is not going to be very fast but I wanted it faster than stock design.I have checked the engine and found out that I had 5 head gasket , polished the crank and reset piton ball joint. Since I had not fine tuned the engine when I gave it the second run where it hit 28k rpm it had just started to run in a 2 stroke I feel I can remove 2 head shims and close the needle valve some more and hit 29k rpm. I still have to install a radio,make a gas tank and star sanding with finer grit to start sealing and painting.

Yesterday I installed the plywood deck over the mahogany sheer. I took some pictures with the engine in place. I still need to drill a hole in top of the cabin to have access to the needle valve to tweak engine run when cabin is on.
                                                                                     juan

My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7623
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7622
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7621
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:46 pm

This is breathtakingly beautiful. I would leave it featuring the natural wood grains and cover it with a transparent coating.

I had a few stock crankshafts breaking the crankpin at 28k, I would suggest you swap the stock with a Killer Bee crankshaft (assuming your engine is a reedie).

Congratulations!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:26 pm

Excellent workman ship on this boat . Looking forward to seeing the finished product. A++++++++++++
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:41 pm

I modified the kit to make the boat look sleeker

You accomplished your goal. It looks fast just sitting there. Beautiful job.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:53 pm

balogh wrote:This is breathtakingly beautiful. I would leave it featuring the natural wood grains and cover it with a transparent coating.

I had a few stock crankshafts breaking the crankpin at 28k, I would suggest you swap the stock with a Killer Bee crankshaft (assuming your engine is a reedie).

Congratulations!

Hello balogh
                           Thanks for the crankshaft advice I will be replacing the black widow crankshaft with a killer bee crankshaft I have pair I bought from cox international in my parts box. About going with a clear finish I thought about it but I traced to many pencil lines on the boat and they will show thru the clear. I will try to come up with a pleasant paint job.

Juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:55 pm

akjgardner wrote:Excellent workman ship on this boat . Looking forward to seeing the finished product.         A++++++++++++

Hello akjgardner
                          I won`t quit working on it until I finish.
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:03 pm

rsv1cox wrote: I modified the kit to make the boat look sleeker

You accomplished your goal.  It looks fast just sitting there.  Beautiful job.

Hello rsv1cox
                           Thanks, I don`t know why Dumas continues with the kit without trying to improve it and make it laser cut. I `m thinking about sending them a photo when I finish mine after all the only thing they would have to modify is the cabin which is not a hard thing to do.

Juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:53 pm

Hello all
                  I have been waiting for the radio and waterproof servos to start with the radio installation on the half pint. My son sent me a Futaba surface radio but no servos. I have ordered from A main 3 waterproof servos but they haven`t arrived yet. Meanwhile I have worked on the cabin sealing the wood and applying some white primer. I like the color and have been thinking to paint it with polyurethane white. I have sealed the hull but haven`t applied primer because I might need to drill some holes.
                 I made a fuel tank for the boat using a piece of an aluminum shower curtain rod. The aluminum is very thin and where I installed the fill and vent fittings I added a piece of 1/8 aluminum to the inside to be able to cut threads on it and screwed in the brass fill and vent fittings. I made some round plugs that I pressed in at both ends. I smeared a thin coat of JB weld on the inside of the tube and on the plugs as insurance to avoid a leak. The tank will hold 35 cc/1 1/4 ounce.

Juan
My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine - Page 4 Img_7624
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:31 am

Man that's a nice looking tank 1 1/4 oz. is going to bee a long run Very Happy The cabin does look good in white ,but I would probably go with light blue if me , just me Huh...
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:42 am

Gang Juan , that looks awesome. Very Nice Workmanship Very Happy
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:04 pm

getback wrote:Man that's a nice looking tank 1 1/4 oz. is going to bee a long run Very Happy  The cabin does look good in white ,but I would probably go with light blue if me , just me Huh...  

Hello getback
                            I have no doubt that it would look good in baby blue but I will paint it white and see what I can do with decorations. Since I don`t know how much fuel is going to burn I decided to err on the safe side. I hope I`m able to run it and come in before I run out of fuel. It will be a new experience and I hope I don`t damage it or lose it.
                                                                                       Juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  F4D Phantom II Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:06 pm

akjgardner wrote:Gang Juan , that looks awesome. Very Nice Workmanship Very Happy

Hello akjgardner
                          Thanks.
                                                                   Juan
F4D Phantom II
F4D Phantom II
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next