Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Dope free build - Page 7 Cox_ba12

Dope free build - Page 7 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Betty Skelton
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:46 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 5:03 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 10:30 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by roddie Yesterday at 10:02 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:19 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Dope free build - Page 7 Empty
Live on Patrol

Dope free build

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Help! Re: Dope free build

Post  oldguy Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:41 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             I can't comment on r/c wing loads because I don't fly r/c. What I said was that there's a lot of load on a control line plane wing. Due to the fact it's tethered is one factor and the other is the wood and construction practices used to keep the weight of the model down. All new kits are laser cut. The weight of the models are down considerably compared to models of 30 years ago due to wood selection.

I have mentioned this dozens of times on here. Die cut kits used the hardest heaviest wood possible. Why? because it cut better. The lighter wood was discarded. Most sheets for ribs and elevators, etc. were all heavy C-grain. New laser cut kits use a very lightweight A grain which I've seen fall apart just from engine vibrations. I have broken ribs just launching the plane from lightly squeezing the wing. Lasers will not cut heavy wood due to burning it up. They hardly fair well with 1/8" ply and most times and your Shoestring kit has this for example is the bellcrank platform. Rather than 1 piece of 1/8" they had to cut 2 pieces of 1/16" to glue together.

The strength of all of the old profile models of years ago was due to the solid leading and trailing edges. These are no longer offered in kits. The other reason is due to wings being doped and silked or silkspanned. Now it's iron on and it doesn't strengthen the wing like the old practices did.

You can forego the webbing, and hopefully your using iron on covering because it doubles as a trash bag to pick up the pieces off of the field easier.

I know what you mean about lazer cut parts, the short kit of the Super satan was lazer cut, and you sure can tell it is a light balsa.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:15 am

Hey Oldguy are you saying you cut into the drywall as in a groove to hold the ribs straight ? And How ! I use the same stuff and i hate drywall from living in apartments for years LOL If you have a building going up somewhere around you can get a piece for nothing , especially when you tell them ur going to build a model airplane on it . Airplane Beers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:20 pm

getback wrote:Hey Oldguy are you saying you cut into the drywall as in a groove to hold the ribs straight ? And How ! I use the same stuff and i hate drywall from living in apartments for years LOL If you have a building going up somewhere around you can get a piece for nothing , especially when you tell them ur going to build a model airplane on it . Airplane Beers

Yes i cut grooves for the ribs to slide down into, with a utility knife.  You can see the grooves here somewhat with the super satan sitting on top of it, this one was made for the ringmaster wing. The other wing is for a sig sky ray i am building now.
i have one cut for Jr. size wing and one for 1/2A size. Other times i will just build on top of the drywall gives a nice flat surface.

Dope free build - Page 7 Dsci0025

Dope free build - Page 7 20210114
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7