Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

rope-weave Cox_ba12

rope-weave Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Today at 6:20 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (July 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:40 pm

» **Black Lynx Engine Giveaway Jan-June 2024** Cox Engine of the Month
by Admin Today at 1:19 pm

» AJ/JW .020 Firebaby Jr. Pretty neat
by rsv1cox Today at 10:39 am

» The Breezy Hill Flyers' "Chester Area Christian Food Pantry" Fun-Fly. "The Video"
by getback Today at 6:25 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -July 2024-
by Admin Yesterday at 10:30 pm

» Vintage Vornado fan project
by Admin Yesterday at 9:58 pm

» Interesting ebay C/L carrier model w/Super Tiger
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» The "Funky Bee"
by GallopingGhostler Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:46 pm

» Eye of the beholder - Two beautiful things
by rsv1cox Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:32 pm

» Internet buy
by Cribbs74 Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:45 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Cox .049 Marine inboard engine."

More info on this engine!

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

rope-weave Empty
Live on Patrol

rope-weave

Go down

rope-weave Empty rope-weave

Post  roddie Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:47 pm

One of many handy things my Grandfather knew how to do. He made this hitch. I wish I'd asked him to teach me.

rope-weave Rope-w10

Gramps had a boat similar to this one (same Science & Mechanics series-1950's/60's vintage) that he had someone build from the plans for him.

rope-weave 14_woo10

It was a little smaller and didn't have the walk-through bulkhead, dash-panel or windshield. It's hull was painted white with red accents toward the stern. The insides were natural wood, sealed with gloss spar-varnish. Power was a tiller-controlled Kiekhaefer-Mercury 10hp 2-stroke. This was probably the bow-line for that boat.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

rope-weave Empty Re: rope-weave

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:01 pm

Here's your Granddad's eye loop. I've done it before, but can't recall the details. This guy does it without a fid. I think the one I remember was a multi-core rope that required the use of a fid to guide the weaving.
https://youtu.be/pLox_ajDGLo

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:20 pm

Very cool Rusty! I'm not sure how my Gramps did it.. but the rope I have is natural fiber (jute?).. so I have to wonder how the end of the weave stays secured?? I guess it just tightens when tensioned.. and stays locked together.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:38 pm

roddie wrote:Very cool Rusty! I'm not sure how my Gramps did it.. but the rope I have is natural fiber (jute?).. so I have to wonder how the end of the weave stays secured?? I guess it just tightens when tensioned.. and stays locked together.
Tape it while you're weaving it, then just cut off the tip ends. Jute isn't going to allow any slippage.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:41 am

Short splicing twist 3 strand is easy. As long as the rope is not actually damaged used 3-strand rope will splice almost as easy new rope. (unlike braid on braid)

The first row is the hardest row. The video is very clear on that, except it doesn't show very clearly that he untwisted (loosened) the portion of rope contained in the eye about 1/2 twist when forming it so it doesn't try to figure-8 for the rest of its life. He untwists by how he holds the rope before forming the eye. Figure-8 tendencies are more a nuisance than anything else.

If the ends are not heat fused (and quite possibly if they are heat fused) wrap about an inch of the end of each strand in electrical tape, and then make the tape slightly pointed off the end of the strand. Don't spare the tape, and don't plan to save it either.

If the rope is particularly hard then use a tool to open the lay. (The rope in the video is rather soft nylon) A large diameter Phillips screwdriver (#3) is a fair choice that most people have. A tapered wooden pin is a better choice that most people can easily make out of any strong, dense, tight grained wood (figure about 6 inches long tapering from 3/4 inch to 1/8 inch, then ball ended or blunt pointed, the exact size is not very important as long as it is similar to the size of the strand in the rope)

Another tool that may be useful is a loop of stout wire or rod that is shaped like a large needle threader (diamond shaped) with a handle on it (I don't have one of these, but I have used one) A wire rope loop on a skinny handle is the same type of tool, as is having a piece of small rope/heavy cord handy.

In nylon rope, as shown in the video, 3-5 tucks is normal, I prefer 5 tucks before tapering in nylon. (Do not do less than 3 tucks on any material, natural fibers can use 3). Terminating the splice on separate layers is a tapering method that is both easy and clean. In practice tapering like that makes the splice much easier to handle vs ending the splice all at the same tuck.

The other tapering method is, after performing the splice, unlay the remainder of the strand and cut a taper into the strand, wax and relay the strand. Continue tucking until the taper is taken in. This is only necessary for rope that has to pass through certain machines like anchor winches, or block and tackle. Tapering the strand to finish the splice is preferred for natural fibers.

Binding the splice with waxed cord is always an option, if you want.
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:16 am

I used to know how to make those eyes and things when I was sailing, although I didn't needed it in the engine room. I've seen sailors making eyes like that on steel cables using a spike.

A few times, I managed to make a rope ball used as a weight for a heaving line. Before closing the ball, you insert a piece of rag to have a bit of volume. Some people put nuts in the centre, so the heaving line would fly further but this was sometimes unpleasant for the one who had to catch the line!!

rope-weave Rope_b10

rope-weave Throwi10
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:37 am

I have my Dad's old Bluejacket manual from WWII. It can show you how to do about anything nautical. Great little book.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:24 pm

OVERLORD wrote:A few times, I managed to make a rope ball used as a weight for a heaving line. Before closing the ball, you insert a piece of rag to have a bit of volume. Some people put nuts in the centre, so the heaving line would fly further but this was sometimes unpleasant for the one who had to catch the line!!

rope-weave Rope_b10

rope-weave Throwi10

Wow! It's been a long time since I made a monkey fist! A heaving line is usually used to pass a larger line that is too large and heavy to throw.

Nice illustrations.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: