Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WEN-MAC STORY
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:37 am

» PSA propellors!!!
by KariFS Today at 12:16 am

» Just found this
by batjac Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» I Got Cheated!
by batjac Yesterday at 10:35 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» Wen Mac Aeromite/Challenger
by getback Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by rdw777 Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:46 am

» COX FUEL ?????
by 1975 control line guy Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:29 am

» The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp
by getback Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:19 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:52 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November - Page 2 Empty Re: Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November

Post  duke.johnson Fri May 23, 2014 12:06 pm

So the only changes are 35% fuel and the retract gear?

How can we launch the plane with now gear? Hand launch? Dolly?
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November - Page 2 Empty Re: Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November

Post  JPvelo Fri May 23, 2014 12:13 pm

duke.johnson wrote:So the only changes are 35% fuel and the retract gear?  

How can we launch the plane with now gear? Hand launch? Dolly?
Duke,
Hand launch or stooge, dolly would be cool if you want to go that route.I took out nacelle/fairing restrictions so you can build a fully faired engine and tank if you want. In the process if researching higher nitro fuel that is available to all competitors without mixing their own. Open to suggestion on that. Also opened the flying window from now until the end of the contest. I think the narrow window prevented a lot of people from flying last time around.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri May 23, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks Jim.
I have Sig 35 and like it, so that's really cool for me. The window to fly wasn't really my problem, I mean, I had some bad weather when I had a chance to fly, but I had a lot of life get in the way. I know bad excuse, but it's the only one I have. Having the summer to build and fly should make it easier to get done. I'd like to fly the last one and see how it compares to your speeds for fun.

I also like the hand launch, my boys and I can go out to the big field by our house and fly at any time. And it's easy on the planes when testing.

I still say one of these contest should be a Mouse 1 race.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri May 23, 2014 1:45 pm

duke.johnson wrote:

Did I just hear Duke volunteer to CD a Mouse 1 race for us?  Clapping 

The Instigator Mark.
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Fri May 23, 2014 2:10 pm

I would not like to go above 30% nitro. But that is just me.

I am really excited about this. Need to get cracking on ideas and plans.

Where do you guys get the dimensions and outline of a plane once you have decided on the plane?

Rusty, yes I actually started on my little satan a few days ago. The wing contruction is almost done. I need to sort out how to post pictures, then I will start a build thread. Would like some comments and tips while I am building.

Cant wait to start on a speed plane for the event.

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 23, 2014 3:09 pm

batjac wrote:
duke.johnson wrote:

Did I just hear Duke volunteer to CD a Mouse 1 race for us?  Clapping 

The Instigator Mark.
I think I heard that as well!
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri May 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Is this a Mouse I racer?

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November - Page 2 Mouse-10

A flying engine! Are there any rules on the size or shape of the aeroplane?
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri May 23, 2014 4:16 pm

This is an AMA class, and it's a lot of fun. My boys raced Paul Gibeault last year at the Regionals.

Mark- I'll CD the race if we can come down and race together on the Portland circle and you BBQ. Very Happy 
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri May 23, 2014 4:33 pm

Yeah that's a mouse.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri May 23, 2014 4:38 pm

There's not many rules for Mouse1, this came from an 8 page Control Line Rules PDF I found a few years ago. I can send as a attachment if anyone wants it, its from 2010.

Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November - Page 2 Mouse_10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 23, 2014 5:45 pm

duke.johnson wrote:This is an AMA class, and it's a lot of fun.  My boys raced Paul Gibeault last year at the Regionals.  

Mark- I'll CD the race if we can come down and race together on the Portland circle and you BBQ. Very Happy 
Count me in!
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Theo Kleynhans wrote:

I am really excited about this. Need to get cracking on ideas and plans.

Where do you guys get the dimensions and outline of a plane once you have decided on the plane?

Cant wait to start on a speed plane for the event.

Theo
Theo,
I think some guys draw it out freehand, I'm not that talented. I do a google image search for 3 view drawings of the plane I want to model, print it out, and enlarge at the local copy center. I make about 3-4 prints of the fuselage and control surfaces to cut out and use for patterns.
Reed Speed version 2.0/ Nitro November - Page 2 ZIF2XDW

A little advice I would offer is to enlarge the the horizontal stabilizer. My 15" span corsair has a 7 1/2" span stabilizer.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri May 23, 2014 6:17 pm

duke.johnson wrote:This is an AMA class, and it's a lot of fun.  My boys raced Paul Gibeault last year at the Regionals.  

Works for me! One condition, though. You have to eat my cooking BEFORE you fly your round.... Clapping 

The Worst Cook In The CEF Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 23, 2014 7:55 pm

This is the body of an email between Paul Gibeault and myself after I had expressed curiosity as to why my speed plane only did 60mph and his mouse racer did 75. There's some good tips in here for your speed models :

Hi Jim,

Actually you're right! It is amazing that Cox mousers can achieve such performance.  I do remember the record setting engine turning a slightly rich 21,500+ on a 4.75D X 4" pitch fiberglass prop when burning 65% Nitro & 15% Propylene Oxide. Usually the plug lasts the race... My fuel bulb was kept in an ice chest (cooler) in my pit.

- I use a single 1/16th sheet streamlined titanium gear leg & 1"  K&B streamlined wheel. Straight music wire, larger fatter wheels & gear doors (although they look neat) create a lot of drag.
- Leadout position is also critical for top speed. Swept too far aft from ideal causes the model to fly nose out & not perfectly tangent to the circle. That there can eat up a lot of speed even though the model seems to be flying just fine.
- Engine offset loses speed & so thrust on centreline is the ideal to strive for.
- Anything other than a perfectly straight rudder will cause quite a lot of drag.
- A properly airfoiled wing flies faster, although for scale purposes that's not always possible to do a lot in that area.
- Your winning models' engine ran from rich to lean during the run. You need to make a properly positioned & uniflow vented tank ( like Rogers). A proper tank  in itself is easily as important as using a good prop, but is overlooked & generally taken for granted. A bladder can be an easy way out if one is too lazy to do tank work (like me).
- Although weight is not super critical, I think lighter generally is faster, as the models flying angle of attack is less.
- Lack of dangly line connectors is faster not to mention safer. Attaching lines directly to the bellcrank is ideal (just like on my mouse racer).
- I notice a number of what I think may be flimsy firewall mounting. Must be solid as possible & fiberglassing may help in this area.
- Fuse ought to be made from C-Grain balsa for greatest stiffness. Stiff is good for a profile.

- Some guys fly with their handle not on chest causing some speed loss.
- Models fly faster when flown low i.e. 2' off the ground. I would consider trying to keep the model as low as possible during the timed run.

That's all I can think of at the moment, Jim. I think your engine/prop combo is very good & so have nothing to suggest to improve those components.

Good Luck, it's all fun!
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri May 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks for that Jim,

I see some things where I went wrong and some that I did right. My leadout position on that little Solution caused it to yaw way out. I spent so much time trying to get it to ROG that I had no time to correct negative flight characteristics.

Don't think we can do 65% nitro, but boy would that be fun!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri May 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Keeping the fuel cold may make a big difference too. My race car had a cooling can with an aluminum coil that I would pack with dry ice before each race. I had so many loose ends, it's hard to say if it made much difference. I did win one night though. I had some engine offset but will probably go straight this time around. And balance the darn thing. It was too nose heavy which probably causes elevator drag if you have to hold any UP to keep level. My church yard has a devil's triangle that slams any plane into the ground in one corner by the buildings. Maybe to fly low, I need to find a better field. It's usually way too windy at Ft. Jax.
Thanks for letting some secrets out of the bag, Jim.
Rusty

Last edited by RknRusty on Sat May 24, 2014 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat May 24, 2014 12:57 am

Ha Ha!!! I've got it! I'm going to make a scale version of the single most exciting, soul stirring, sexiest homebuilt airplane ever designed!

The Giddy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat May 24, 2014 11:18 am

Jim ; can you change the dates for the new rules  and the speed race side icon to speed race 2 so there will be no confussion for any one ?  Babe Bee .049  new thread or something like that I know you can figure what I am trying to say  Huh... Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Sat May 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Thank you for the information and advice Jim. I really appreciate it.

I am glad it should at leats be easy to get the 3 view of a plane.

Need to start thinking of which plane I would like to replicate.

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Mon May 26, 2014 1:33 pm

Hello,

Is anybody can make a post it for the CEF reed speed contest ? In this thread, all airplane already built. Just to inform the pilots if an airplane was already built.

Even if we built what we want...

Just to notice...

Rémy.
navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon May 26, 2014 3:50 pm

navion34 wrote:Hello,

Is anybody can make a post it for the CEF reed speed contest ? In this thread, all airplane already built. Just to inform the pilots if an airplane was already built.

Even if we built what we want...

Just to notice...

Rémy.
Yes, anyone can post in this thread. Models that were built for the last contest can be flown. You can also feel free to post new builds here.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon May 26, 2014 3:52 pm

getback wrote:Jim ; can you change the dates for the new rules  and the speed race side icon to speed race 2 so there will be no confussion for any one ?  Babe Bee .049  new thread or something like that I know you can figure what I am trying to say  Huh...  Getback
Dates have been changed.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2