Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth? Cox_ba12

Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 7:20 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by rsv1cox Today at 6:54 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by balogh Today at 6:50 am

» Betty Skelton
by roddie Today at 5:24 am

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:46 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 10:30 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth? Empty
Live on Patrol

Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth?

Go down

Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth? Empty Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth?

Post  andrew Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:41 pm

Most of us have operated under the impression that COX engines need castor oil and lots of it for good functioning and longevity. There was a thread posted over in RCG a while back that presented results contrary to these "common beliefs". As you can well imagine, it raised quite a furor. I know that several of you who post here read that thread, but if you haven't, it does lend some food for thought.

I would be interested in hearing comments, both pro and con from this group.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1325147

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth? Empty Re: Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth?

Post  nitroairplane Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:45 pm

I will run castor as long as it is availible simply because it is what cox recommended.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth? Empty Re: Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth?

Post  nitroairplane Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:24 pm

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED TO COX DISCUSSIONS UPON THE CREATORS REQUEST.
http://coxengineforum.forumakers.com/t648-castor-oil-for-cox-engines-fact-or-myth
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth? Empty Cox

Post  dankar04 Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Put castor in hot frying pan and burn it. Even burnt it has oil residue. Try thay with sync. oil and see for yourself. It burns to dust. Nothing but dust in pan. Dan
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:06 pm

dankar04 wrote:Put castor in hot frying pan and burn it. Even burnt it has oil residue. Try thay with sync. oil and see for yourself. It burns to dust. Nothing but dust in pan. Dan

True, but the article indicated that at 15% nitro, the COX engines did not run hot enough to take advantage of the ability of castor to polymerize in the ball/socket area of the piston, only on the cylinder near the exhaust port. His argument was that a 90/8/2 blend of synthetic/castor/tricresyl phosphate in a 16% total oil mix ran faster than the other combinations and had very little wear over a 10 hour running period.

There are some interesting results from his testing, which he did say were unexpected.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Interesting intial read

I didn't read thru that whole rcg thread,,but did he allow a complete cool down (cold to touch) of the on-again off-again motor,, because that plays a significant role in the life of the motor.

No two engines are the same as well, maybe close, but not exact. It would be very tough to go thru and pick out baseline motors, by metallurgy, tolerances, ect and get two (or three) that match exact or close for a comparable test.

Adding my .051ยข to the fire.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:51 pm

FOOD FOR THOUGHT ???!!! Man !!!! MY brain feels like Garfield after eating 10 pounds of Lasagna! You guys are too smart for me !!!!

I'm just gonna keep using Sig and Glowplugboy and hope for the best !!!!! Now, a couple Tylenol please !!!

Seriously though Andrew, appreciate the courteous nature of your posts on that thread ! I really like to see ideas (however high above my head they may be) and arguments exchanged with respect shown to the premise and it's presenter, whichever side a person made hold.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:33 pm

Everything makoman reported flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but he did attempt to run his tests in as much of a controlled environment as possible. However, PV Pilot's comments about not being able to find 4 identical baseline engines certainly carry weight -- it may have been the luck (or lack thereof) of the draw that the two failed engines would have failed if run with the synthetic oil. Statistical testing requires that the sample size be sufficiently large to remove as much of the bias as possible and his sample is too small to qualify. But, even with a small sample, he does have some convincing data.

Most of us have found, either thru experience or the sharing of information, what works. I guess I'm looking for something that may work better. Kim made a good point about new ideas being exchanged and weighing both sides of the discussion. I have read in other groups comments by posters using lower overall oil content and blends of 50/50 syn/castor packages with no ill results.

When I started in this business, castor was the only lube available. But, synthetics have made significant strides over the past 20 years --- and these are 20 years where COX R&D stood still. I'm as resistant to change as anyone. When CA was first introduced, I thought, "Man, that stuff can't possibly work." Today, I think, "Man, I'm out of CA, what am I going to do?" I think the thread has enough substance that I'm willing to sacrifice a Surestart or two to satisfy my curiosity.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:42 am

I have several of "old timey" Class C stunt engines that were run on a steady diet of "Power Mist" w/green label for hundreds of hours with castor lubrication. Where PM availabe today, I'd run is in ALL of my engines large and small.

But it's not so I'm shifting to the syntheics oils as I have done in my van which runs Castrol SEMI-synthetic blend as it has for 70K miles since new. I have confidence that it will go 200K miles or more given 7.5K oil/filter changes. I intend to run the van until it expires of "natural causes".

And so it is with my model aircraft engines running synthetic lubricants. (I remember when a 3K engine oil change interval was the standard for automobiles) No longer because the lubricating oil specs have improved so dramatically in recent years.

Switching to synthetics isn't so much wrong as it is different. Remember "leaded" gasoline? "Conventional wisdom often dies a hard death.

Welcome to the future.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nemoskull Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:16 am

i am new to this forum, but i will throw in my .02 anyways.
if it aint broke, don't fix it.
on one hand you have the new fangled synthetic, that may or may not be good/better.
on the other hand, castor oil saw 2 stroke engine since WW1 and is still used today for high powered dirt bikes. the castor bean has been pretty much the same. at some point, i stopped caring so much about the 'best' and settled for 'works fine every time'.
i guess i may have broken down on the road one too many times in search for more speed. nowadays, i value reliablity over possible improvement.

but that is just me.
nemoskull
nemoskull
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:00 pm

Someone here ran synthetic fuel on there first cox engine sometime earlier this year and that engine now has no compression.
I will only be running castor in the engines i car about but i may take 2 new SS engines and run them on equal amounts of fuel on synth one castor and see.
But also the quantities must be right.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  hlsat Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 pm

I thought the correct answer to that story with lubricating oils could give His one of the manufacturers, but unhappy is not near us.
hlsat
hlsat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:19 pm

nemoskull wrote:i am new to this forum, but i will throw in my .02 anyways.
if it aint broke, don't fix it.

It's certainly difficult to argue with that philosophy and it has stood the test of time.

OTOH, we have to ask the question, "What if it is broken and we never recognized the problem?" Roy Cox made a lot of money selling piston reset tools. Most everyone (I think) assumes the piston/rod joint loosens because the crimp opens up. But what if the joint loosens because of accelerated wear where the top of the rod comes in contact with the bottom of the piston crown? There's been an extended discussion over in RCG on the forces, and direction of force, placed on the ball joint. Essentially, why does the crimp open up if the piston is always under compression. It's not a 4 stroke where the crank pulls the piston down during intake. We run under compression or power all the time, unless the engine is running a rich 4C.

In any event, I think the thread had enough merit that I want to try a lubricant package with "non-standard" oil ratios. It seems that the tricresyl phosphate had a positive impact on ball joint wear.

Am I advocating that folks change their oil component. Absolutely not. But I do believe that we have moved forward in 50 years and that there may be a better mousetrap -- .

andrew

andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:24 pm

But the way i see it is that Castor is NOT essential during rich flying but when running lean or prolonged periods of time on the ground especially when lean the engine gets hot and the synthetic oil simply burns off but castor wont begin to boil until it gets to 595f.
So it lubricates even during lean runs.
Indra
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:42 pm

nitroairplane wrote:.......but castor wont begin to boil until it gets to 595f.
So it lubricates even during lean runs.
Indra

That's indeed the advantage of castor -- it's ability to polymerize (actually convert to longer chain molecules) and retain its lubricating properties at high heat levels. The thread didn't recommend eliminating castor oil, just that it may not be necessary to run it in as high percentages as previously thought.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:44 pm

True but as the old saying says.
"better safe than sorry"
If i was going for speed i would go 1/2 castor 1/2 synthetic.
But hey i am just a sport flyer and bench runner.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:19 pm

I looked up Klotz while I was reading about Tricresyl phosphate. Klotz makes a lot of racing additives. I presume Nitroil is what Sig and others use. Most of the rest of the products are for gasoline mixes.
I like the Fogon, I can think of all kinds of uses for that.
I'm going back to read about TCP now. It's apparently pretty poisonous, according to what I've read so far.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Rusty --

I believe SIG uses BeNol, Original Techniplate (100% syn) and Super Techniplate (80/20 syn/cas), sometimes blending these to get the mixtures they want.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Castor Oil for COX Engines: Fact or Myth? Empty my findings

Post  Jaspur_x Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:31 pm

We now turn the clocks back to about 1985:
My best friend and I were teenagers, who knew some of the local flyers, none of whom were cox or even 1/2A guys, nobody flew less than a .20/.25 except us.
We didn`t get around the other guys that much anyhow,but we flew almost every day the weather was suitable/ish ,read every FM,RCM, and MAN magazines we could get our hands on. Eventually we ran out of COX fuel, but had a ful gallon of 15% coolpower for my K?&B.40 that I only ever flew 4 times.

So, we used the 15%coolpower in our cox`s and averaged 3 worn out cylinder/piston sets each in our cox 049`s, 1 in my peewee 020, and 1 for my 074queen bee. We did this for several years, until one fine day at the hobby shop an actual'COX" flyer was also there shopping and happened to hear us talking.
This "cox" guy set us straight on using the cox fuel, which did cost more than coolpower, but was better for our coxes.

We never had a crankcase that was really shot, a little bit of "free spinning crank action"; but oh my,the piston/cylinder sets we went through over the years were way too many. And when we returned to COX fuels, we could get at least a year out of a piston/cylinder set.

I`m not making any statement about anybody elses findings of tests etc. I just do believe that castor is a good oil to run, and will continue to run castor in my small engines no matter what someone else proves, "it works for me"

P.s., I also run higher nitro fuel than his test 15%
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  nemoskull Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:39 pm

you know, i am tempted to get a couple of brand new cox motors. put on some reall small props and run on on glow fuel with castor, the other with the new stuff. no break in, just hook up to a real big tank and run them side by side till they die.
its wont be perfect, there is still the fuel to nail down, but it would give a rough idea of how much longer a engine will last on either oil.
hey, cant you run on 0% nitro? dont have to be good, just has to run well enough to turn a prop. the lack of nitro should raise temps too. then if you could get whatever synth oil they use, you can rule out the fuel as a variable.

one day, this friday, tho.
nemoskull
nemoskull
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down