Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The height of cheapness - Page 3 Cox_ba12

The height of cheapness - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:26 pm

» The Three Stooges
by roddie Yesterday at 11:01 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Green vent..
by roddie Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:59 pm

» 049 Tee Dee needle valve bodies and 049 TD engines - Potential flaw
by Cox International Yesterday at 4:33 pm

» PSA propellors!!!
by robot797 Yesterday at 2:39 pm

» My First Balloon Tank Attempt
by roddie Yesterday at 11:42 am

» Fall S.M.A.L.L. 2024 Wednesday October, 16th.
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 am

» Who purchased one of my manifolds and has a tuned pipe that will fit to it?
by davidll1984 Wed Oct 16, 2024 6:15 pm

» OK Cub .024
by 049kid Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:31 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by 049kid Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:17 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2024
MauricioB's

"Cox .049 Circa 1975, custom."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The height of cheapness - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

The height of cheapness

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The height of cheapness - Page 3 Empty Re: The height of cheapness

Post  fredvon4 Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:07 am

George you are spot on...on all points made

I still not sure who I am more POed with; The Politicians who sound sane and reasonable when you talk to them ( I have had many conversations with senators and congressmen when I flew to and from DC /Texas, a LOT) or WE voters who re-elect them knowing they do crap like you just described.

The wasting time and $$$ to write, debate, re-write, debate some more, and then pass some new law that amounts to nothing, is a fraud on the tax payer, and is unacceptable to me. (Your example above about distracted driving)

If I was King the PRIVILEGE to vote must be earned by proving by test that a citizen had a complete understanding of the US Constitution, and his or her State Constitution, and especially the role citizens are responsible for in the process of governance

My family has sponsored several families immigration to the USA. We were there when they became citizens by oath after jumping through all the hoops and tests. Former Romanian, Danny Pearl's 12 year old son, in 1971, knew more about the constitution than I did as a High School Senior

Why we do NOT thoroughly teach this in the first 12 years is beyond my understanding

I spend a little time here each week correcting my lack of knowledge of that which I swore to uphold and defend against all enemies foreign and domestic

http://www.heritage.org/constitution/#!/

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:54 am

This link has some graphic pics,,so take care when opening. Seen this and thought of this thread.

http://www.drbuttar.com/energy-saving-bulb-dangers/
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:52 am

PV Pilot wrote:This link has some graphic pics,,so take care when opening.  Seen this and thought of this thread.

http://www.drbuttar.com/energy-saving-bulb-dangers/

Scary stuff for sure... Mercury is said to have been used as a preservative in common human vaccines. There is much speculation as to whether genetic birth defects/developmental disorders can be attributed to this.

I have an old Mercury switch.. that consists of a fairly large "glass" capsule partially filled with the heavy metal liquid. It probably came from an old automotive application as a "hood/trunk" lamp switch. I have it somewhere... and need to find it and make sure it's packed/stored in a safe manner... and not tossed in amongst other items that could cause it to rupture and leak.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:24 am

I have great difficulty understanding why the traditional filament lamps have been banned.

When you switch on the light - you have light immediately. It is a bright, clear light - easy to read things illuminated by one.

Replacing these with something that takes a few minutes to reach a pathetic intensity???????

They are also obviously dangerous and I have had some for several years and found that they do not last as promised and do not look attractive, being oversized, in quite a few of my light fittings.

I also do not understand the concept of "energy saving".

How am I to save energy with the newer lights? I accept that the tungsten lights had an inefficiency as far as producing light and produced heat. However, in Winter what is this heat being replaced with.

The lights assisted in warming rooms - that assistance has now gone and the home heating has to compensate.

In Summer lights are hardly used (and in the UK - home air conditioning is rare!) but in Winter the lighting supplemented the heating.

So now I pay more for dangerous lights and have increased heating bills plus, technically, I have to arranged for special disposal of dead bulbs.

There is also a flicker. The light is not crisp and constant. I have noticed I get readings around 3500 rpm on the rev counter which disappears when I turn the lights off.

Also, some of the pictures I take indoors sometimes have a yellow hue!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:13 pm

Banning/regulating any of our current "energy burners" is merely a means by our governments.. to decide for us.. while receiving consideration/compensation from huge corporations in the way of campaign funds and returning the favor; in the way of financial grants to these corporations for research and development... while claiming that it's stimulating the economy and saving energy... using our tax dollars.

How about repairing our countries bridges and roads.. and helping our farmers to produce the food we need domestically... instead of discouraging them from planting.. or tying their hands if they do; with GMO seedlings?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:46 pm

Ian:

Isn't it enough that our "gubment" considers incadsecent bulbs BAAAAAAAAD?

lol! 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:27 pm

All I know is that I need to save a *load of energy to justify a $15.00 light bulb!

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:45 pm

I like the LED lighting technology.. but can't understand why a 60w. home replacement lamp is so much $$$...  Huh... I think the automotive applications are great. Especially where in-dash back-lighting is concerned. There's nothing worse than having a lamp burn-out, that lights up your instrument panel... and what you'd have to go through to access the lamp to replace it.

The new LED "cans" for stage-use are really great. They are SUPER BRIGHT color-changing... and several can be run on one circuit while drawing a very small amount of power. This is a big help when you're trying to do a gig in a small club with limited circuits available on stage. Compare their 30W power consumption to a 150W Par can... and that's a BIG difference. Two 4-lamp "trees" (a typical small light show that a small band might have) would draw 1200W using incandescent PAR lamps... and they're HOT!!! LED cans by comparison need no color gels... so you don't need a lamp for each color.. they're COOL (no heat) and if you used 8 of them.. the total watts would be 240. they also "daisy-chain" making connectivity easy.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:54 am

PV Pilot wrote:This link has some graphic pics,,so take care when opening.  Seen this and thought of this thread. http://www.drbuttar.com/energy-saving-bulb-dangers/
I think there is more to that story. The amount of mercury is a very small quantity, in the form of mercury vapor. See Fluorescent Lights' Mercury Poses Dim Threat

Somehow I wonder if the victim may also suffer from other health problems, such as diabetes or poor circulation causing severe feet issues.

I've been using CFL's for over 10 years. The reason why I like them, is if you buy them on sale, they last for years, not months like the incandescents. Granted, you can't use them where incandescent dimming circuits are used, unless they are specificially design to be used in that type circuit. Here in rural New Mexico, the cost savings I calculated some time back were due to the cost of all the incandescent bulbs I'd buy over the life span of the CFL. Electricity then was around five cents per kWh, whereas on the east coast it was around 12 cents.

However as to the government mandating these, I think they just should have laissez-faire regarding the issue, allow the market and people's purchasing to determine what products people use. The CFL's already were becoming a more frequent choice, as people saw a reduction in their utility bills, as well as not having to replace bulbs every couple months.

I agree with what the others say, I think government is getting too involved with our every day lives, instead of ensuring the safety of our rights, freedoms, lives, and properties by giving us a safe environment free from crime and abuse. I remember back in the mid 1960's, in Biloxi, Mississippi that overall it was safe for me as a child to ride my bike all over the neighborhood, play in the yards. We never heard about recreational drugs, kids packing deadly weapons, drug dealers or murder.

If money diverted to social programs spent on those otherwise capable of work was spent on taking care of the crime problem, our society would be a much safer place to live. We the people have much to blame, as we elected those to office who have made decisions not in our best interests.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Pops used to put a 75-100Wt Incan bulb hanging in the cabin of his Cessnas in the winter. For that little bit of heat to keep the interior from cold cracking due to age. We flew in the winter,,just the bulb helped the interior to stay warm and not age as fast.

The 56 Chevy still gets a bulb in the winter to keep it warm,,or the mice,,can't decide which. Furry little vermin love it more than me and I'm jealous, so they get a load of One-Bite as a Chevy Diner Appetizer. It's working,,so far no return customers.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:40 pm

And good riddance. Nothing I despise more than rodents. My neighbor in Texas had an infestation of them and due to proximity so did I. I offered my assistance in eradicating them one day. I had been watching them hole up in a large half rotten Elm in his back yard.

Speaking of cheap, all I took with me was a spade shovel. Best rodent killer ever made.  Devil 

It wasn't pretty, and I was bit quite a few times. I had a newborn in the house so they had to go. Problem solved. Never saw one after that day.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:53 am

roddie wrote:

The new LED "cans" for stage-use are really great. They are SUPER BRIGHT color-changing... and several can be run on one circuit while drawing a very small amount of power. This is a big help when you're trying to do a gig in a small club with limited circuits available on stage. Compare their 30W power consumption to a 150W Par can... and  that's a BIG difference. Two 4-lamp "trees" (a typical small light show that a small band might have) would draw 1200W using incandescent PAR lamps... and they're HOT!!! LED cans by comparison need no color gels... so you don't need a lamp for each color.. they're COOL (no heat) and if you used 8 of them.. the total watts would be 240. they also "daisy-chain" making connectivity easy.

I fully agree.   While I don't much like the LEDs for household use (seems such an unnatural light), the stage lights are great.  No heat, no changing colour filters, really bright, lighweight and versatile.
Our sound guy just changed over to a full digital mixing desk. Uses a small cat.5 data cable & no huge heavy multi-core.  Get to the next gig & he just hits the pre-programmed mix and bingo, soundcheck one song and it's all there.  Due to an acoustic nuroma (tumor on the acoustic nerve) I need to use in-ear monitors to block out stage noise and the foldback mix is set specifically for me and stays in the desks memory.  Sweet.  Thumbs Up 

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3