Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp Cox_ba12

The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by EXModelEngines Today at 7:12 pm

» CO2 Engine
by kakariki53 Today at 6:49 pm

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by balogh Today at 6:23 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 3:44 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by roddie Today at 2:53 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 1:46 pm

» 'Tweeners...
by rdw777 Today at 1:28 pm

» The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp
by davidll1984 Today at 11:52 am

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by davidll1984 Today at 7:48 am

» Black Widow Question
by Ken Cook Today at 7:05 am

» Inverted flying cub
by ppvj64 Today at 6:49 am

» Jim Walkers Firebabies with a story.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:27 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp Empty
Live on Patrol

The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp

Go down

The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp Empty The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp

Post  davidll1984 Today at 11:13 am

I picked up where I left off on the Atwood Wasp and ended up making the necessary pieces to finish it !!! I just need to put it all together.
The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp Img_2472
I modified the conrod that was sent to me by rdw777 Thank To Robert . I make a ball joint retainer to insert pres fit into the piston And if I can find a spring of the right size I will cut a clip and make a litle grove inside the piston to make sure that everything stays in place. The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp Img_2473
The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp Img_2474
In the engine crankcase I found some excess material that I will remove Because this little burr inside restricts the air flow I also believe I need to machine the crankshaft to improve the balance by removing material near the crank pin. I checked the port timing with the connecting rod I have and everything seems perfect.

Last edited by davidll1984 on Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp Empty Re: The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp

Post  getback Today at 11:26 am

Cool ! Funny you would bring this up my wasp the rod came off the piston , Well i sen it the other day and i must not have noticed before the cly is Bent !! Sits crooked when tightened down Between that and a Rocket .09 i got parts for that I can't get to turn over even with the standard clean and heat !! and a TD .020 the new cank and drive plate don't match drive plate is to small Rolling Eyes DAMMIT!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp Empty Re: The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp

Post  Ken Cook Today at 11:36 am

There was a very thin fiber gasket between the case and the flange on the bottom of the cylinder. This is a critical part and it's not easy to replicate. OK engines have a similar gasket. Once you loosen the cylinder, this gasket is destroyed. If not used, you now have a case leak which isn't very good. The top of the case doesn't offer a lot of area.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Today at 11:37 am

getback wrote:Cool ! Funny you would bring this up my wasp the rod came off the piston , Well i sen it the other day and i must not have noticed before the cly is Bent !! Sits crooked when tightened down Between that and a Rocket .09 i got parts for that I can't get to turn over even with the standard clean and heat !! and a TD .020 the new cank and drive plate don't match drive plate is to small Rolling Eyes DAMMIT!  
Yes it's weird but it seems that several wasps have ball joint problems. When I found this poor engine it was missing the con rod and I thank Robert for kindly offering me this part. It's a shame that your .020 tee is missing this part at one time cox international had this part
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Today at 11:43 am

Ken Cook wrote:            There was a very thin fiber gasket between the case and the flange on the bottom of the cylinder. This is a critical part and it's not easy to replicate. OK engines have a similar gasket. Once you loosen the cylinder, this gasket is destroyed. If not used, you now have a case leak which isn't very good. The top of the case doesn't offer a lot of area.
For me fortunately it is intact it was still in place when I found the engine it is a good thickness thicker than just paper like the one on the ok engine I still hope that Mecoa has a small production of glow plug engine heads on the way because that's all I need to have two complete engines, but I'll be happy to test it with the head of the other engine.
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Today at 11:52 am

getback wrote: a TD .020 the new cank and drive plate don't match drive plate is to small Rolling Eyes DAMMIT!  
I wonder which part of the drive plate is too small because when I ordered new parts for my .049 tee the hole was smaller and without the teeth that match the crankshaft but once inserted press fit the match was perfect
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down