Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Inverted flying cub Cox_ba12

Inverted flying cub Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by EXModelEngines Today at 7:12 pm

» CO2 Engine
by kakariki53 Today at 6:49 pm

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by balogh Today at 6:23 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 3:44 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by roddie Today at 2:53 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 1:46 pm

» 'Tweeners...
by rdw777 Today at 1:28 pm

» The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp
by davidll1984 Today at 11:52 am

» Automobiles you don't see everyday...
by davidll1984 Today at 7:48 am

» Black Widow Question
by Ken Cook Today at 7:05 am

» Inverted flying cub
by ppvj64 Today at 6:49 am

» Jim Walkers Firebabies with a story.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:27 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Inverted flying cub Empty
Live on Patrol

Inverted flying cub

Go down

Inverted flying cub Empty Inverted flying cub

Post  ppvj64 Yesterday at 8:02 am

Are there any Ok cubs with plastic mounted tanks that will fly inverted and if so are any of them worth trying?
Only reason I ask is cause of the price most cubs are 15 to 25 bucks compared to a decent black widow price that's a steal. Another thing are parts and glow plugs available for them at fair prices or is it just better to bite the bullet and get another black widow. Thanks PeteJ
ppvj64
ppvj64
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Inverted flying cub Empty Re: Inverted flying cub

Post  Ken Cook Yesterday at 9:23 am

Personally, I would go with using a Cox engine over the OK. I never liked the OK engines until about 10 years ago. I then discovered them to be very interesting. My use for them however is mainly for free flight. The engines themselves are quite under powered compared to a Cox . Just as a example, the OK .074 offers generally the same power as a Cox .049 Babe Bee.  But, Ok made so many different versions of these engines, I discover new or different styles with regular frequency. The OK could probably made to vent just like one would do with a Babe Bee. This would be to place a piece of fuel tubing on one nipple, run it all the way around the circumference of the tank to the opposing nipple. The issue is getting small enough tubing to retain itself to the nipples. I usually CA the tubing onto nipples when this is required. It's not permanent and can be cleaned off if needed.  Cut a v notch in the tubing on the underside of the tubing opposing the fuel fillers. This would allow for venting upright and inverted.

I personally would opt for using a OK .049 B and do away with the plastic OK .049 A tank. One could still use the OK.049 A but you have to drill out the threaded holes in the radial portion of the case and use this for installing screws to attach to firewall. In doing so, the engine would no longer be able to use the threaded holes which retain the tank.  This would enable the use of a remote  tank.

A Cox or OK using integral type tanks is going to offer complications in engine run not too mention short duration. A proper tank will circumvent both of these issues. A Cox Black Widow is not without issue even inverted. It eventually fails to feed and the engine goes lean and could possibly quit. I've developed many ways to solve these problems but they exist and one needs to have a lot of patience with them. These problems can be virtually eliminated if you use a remote tank.

If dependability is what you seek, OK engines in my opinion are not the place to look. Not that I'm opposed to them, it's just that quality control was all over the place. Especially the versions offered in the 90's which were built from whatever parts were laying around.

As for your glow plug comment. Glow plug availability has diminished over the past 5 years. While a OK can utilize a standard glow plug, these too are becoming increasingly expensive. Not as expensive as a Cox plug but they're 3-4 times more expensive than what they were. The OK .049's utilize short plugs, these are becoming harder to source as they're just not commonplace any longer. The good thing is that OK engines are a low performance engine and Fireball glow plugs still manufacture short plugs which are probably the least expensive plug you can source today.

The last of the OK engines used the same  cylinder head thread as a Cox engine which could now use a Cox glow head vs a glow plug and adapter. 1/2A engine performance is completely downgraded when you use a standard glow plug like the OK does. This is the reasoning for the glow head vs the glow plug. The choice of engine is totally up to the user.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Inverted flying cub Empty Thanks

Post  ppvj64 Yesterday at 12:08 pm

That is a lot of info and thanks. I was just looking for a cheap way to power a lil satan without having to take the black widow off of the baby ringmaster. I have never had problems with flying black widows inverted though and I will probably just bite the bullet and buy another one. Thanks again for the great info PeteJ
ppvj64
ppvj64
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Yesterday at 12:52 pm

Pete, if you haven't ever flown a Lil Satan with a Black Widow, your in for a surprise. It will move pretty darn well and it will be quite a performance gain over the OK. The Baby Ringmaster in my opinion is better suited for the OK engine. The OK engine is a bit lighter and it will enhance the Baby Ring to maneuver a bit better. One thing I will say about a OK engine is that they tolerate a bit more pitch over a Cox engine. While I use a 5x3 as my go to Black Widow propeller, the OK can still fair a 4 pitch propeller and not bog down as a Cox engine would do.

Generally, I prefer to use 25% nitro anymore in my Cox engines. A few years back I was more into 45%-50% nitro. This makes them start easier and needle even superior. A OK engine likes nitro. The reasons I stopped using the high nitro was mainly because of expense and it's also rough on the plugs.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ppvj64 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

I have flown both with the black widow and by any chance did you use to live in California? for some reason I remember your name from somewhere.
ppvj64
ppvj64
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddy Yesterday at 11:02 pm

The Cub .049 A engine with either the white or red plastic fuel tank can easily be made to fly inverted. I trim the two fuel nipples off the tank and seal the opening with a drop of ca glue. I then measure two lengths of brass 3/32 tubing to enter the tank from the top and up from the bottom where the two nipples were. Drill two holes with a 3/32 drill at the back of the tank, one from the top and the other from the bottom, leaving about 1/4 in. of tubing extended above and below the tank.. Extend one tube to the bottom and the other from the bottom to the top inside the tank. I use ca again to seal around the two tubes and now your Cub .049 A will fly inverted, done this for many years.
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ppvj64 Today at 6:49 am

Eddy wrote:The Cub .049 A engine with either the white or red plastic fuel tank can easily be made to fly inverted. I trim the two fuel nipples off the tank and seal the opening with a drop of ca glue. I then measure two lengths of brass 3/32 tubing to enter the tank from the top and up from the bottom where the two nipples were. Drill two holes with a 3/32 drill at the back of the tank, one from the top and the other from the bottom, leaving about 1/4 in. of tubing extended above and below the tank.. Extend one tube to the bottom and  the other from the bottom to the top inside the tank. I use ca again to seal around the two tubes and now your Cub .049 A will fly inverted, done this for many years.

I would try that if I can find a good deal and it seems like there are a ton of them on ebay but what about plugs?
ppvj64
ppvj64
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down