Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox PT-19 Trainer. Cox_ba12

Cox PT-19 Trainer. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by roddie Today at 12:29 pm

» Set Up for Semi-Serious Stunt on Norvel .061 Big Mig
by Ken Cook Today at 12:28 pm

» Internet buy
by bsadonkill Today at 12:27 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 8:29 am

» Fox 07 R/C
by Surfer_kris Today at 7:29 am

» Cox PT-19 Trainer.
by roddie Yesterday at 10:26 am

» The Breezy Hill Flyers' "Chester Area Christian Food Pantry" Fun-Fly.
by roddie Yesterday at 9:24 am

» B-25 repaired
by rsv1cox Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:29 pm

» Wanted: O.S. Max .10 "Bow Tie" Engine for Parts
by Ken Cook Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:03 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:16 pm

» **Black Lynx Engine Giveaway Jan-June 2024** Cox Engine of the Month
by roddie Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:44 am

» How does your Garden Grow
by getback Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:58 am

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Cox .049 Marine inboard engine."

More info on this engine!

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox PT-19 Trainer. Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox PT-19 Trainer.

Go down

Cox PT-19 Trainer. Empty Cox PT-19 Trainer.

Post  MauricioB Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:35 am

A while ago, I had an incredible discovery, it is the Cox PT-19 trainer.
The previous owner ran the engine a few times, you can see that he hasn't flown, there are no serious details, just the passage of time. He told me that it was a gift from his father, he asked me: take good care of him Mauricio ".... and I will do so... this is the story of this little jewel of Cox and today I share with all of you my friends from CEF!

History:
In the 1980s, the model airplane house
Argentina Aero-Sur, introduces the PT-19 trainer model,
It was a circular flight aircraft of the firm
American Cox.
The model was powered by a .049 engine and had
characteristics that stood out, one of the most
important thing is that it is assembled entirely by
of elastic bands, so that in case of crashing,
disarmed, absorbing the impact and minimizing
the risks of breakage.
The super flexible plastic also collaborated
clearly with that effect.
The Argentine magazine LUPIN was in charge of
promote this model that reached the heart of every
person in love with this hobby. I hope this
video transports you to those moments...

Cox PT-19 Trainer. 20240610
Cox PT-19 Trainer. 20240611

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox PT-19 Trainer. Empty Re: Cox PT-19 Trainer.

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:23 pm

¡Enhorabuena! Este regalo (?) de tu amigo es un logro extraordinario. Very Happy Y tu explicación es muy clara. Thumbs Up
Congratulations! This gift (?) from your friend is outstanding. And your explanation is very clear.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:09 pm

OH Boy ~! That's a Nice one ! Nice little piece of history to go with it , see its all cleaned up now you did a good job on it and getting the decals layed back down Very Happy My question is what are you going to do with it ? I know you can't do round D rounds . It is a nice clean piece of Cox history ! This Site Rocks! Cool
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:59 pm

Very nice PT-19 Mauricio!!!…. Wonderful to have a piece of early Cox history…. Will you try and fly it?…. Control line is its own form of fun Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:17 pm

Thanks friends for the messages!
Jorge: I found this model by chance, it is from a seller, he is not a friend, so I bought it.
Eric: so you remember that I get very dizzy if I do a circular flight! Yes, friend, it's true, the last time I tried it, a few years ago, I got discouraged, I finished the flight with a balsa board model and a Cox .049, it was a Zero...well...I didn't feel well the rest of the day....but I may try the Cox PT-19, perhaps lengthening the range a little. Threads, I think it could fly with a radius of 10 meters? Or could it go a little further?
Roberto and Eric, the reality is that I bought it because I always saw it on the cover of LUPIN magazine, when I was about 10/12/years old, this model is history for me, it is at the same time part of the story by Cox and all that makes me want to enjoy looking at it on my shelf... it makes me happy.
This model is really healthy, I think it has a factory error...I think they were never able to fly it and it is because the elevator control is too long, the elevator is always at an angle.
The control rod should be 17 cm and this one is 17.5 cm....I think there is an error there...I will share photos and you will tell me...
Can anyone have the box this model came in? I need to print something for it! Thanks in advance!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:30 am

Let's get to work...here I come:

Cox PT-19 Trainer. Difere10
Cox PT-19 Trainer. Difere11
Cox PT-19 Trainer. Difere13
Cox PT-19 Trainer. Difere14
Cox PT-19 Trainer. Difere15

Rocker stem repair:
Cox PT-19 Trainer. 20240614
Cox PT-19 Trainer. 20240612
Cox PT-19 Trainer. 20240613

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:11 am

Yea i should bee level when in neutral at bell crank ,good repair on the stem to , 35' would bee the ideal length for the control lines . Small Cox Logo Very Happy Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:53 am

getback wrote:Yea i should bee level when in neutral at bell crank ,good repair on the stem to , 35' would bee the ideal length for the control lines . Small Cox Logo Very Happy Small Cox Logo

Thanks Eric!...please tell me what expression those 35 are in? Are they foot? Huh...

35 feet is equal to 10,668 meters
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:24 pm

Nice repair and calibration of controls on your PT-19 Trainer Mauricio….I think the PT-19 was probably one of the most successful to fly that Cox had…. Also there are many interesting threads here on CEF on PT-19’s…. A very well thought of design from Cox! Small Cox Logo
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:24 pm

rdw777 wrote:
Perhaps the easiest way to do half-A C/L is to fabricate a remote " 'round the pole" system with a stationary location outside the circle.

One with good imagination and practical skills could easily fabricate such. This overcomes the dizzying problem by placing the pilot in a stationary location.

Sterling called theirs Auto-Magic...but it was a handle on a pole running the bellcrank. It still needs some tweaking to place the model in the air at speed, and slowly applying "up" as the model sank during power-off landing.

What you describe could be called RTP-CL/RC. That is, Round-the-Pole Control Line over Radio Control. Phew...what a mouthful! Any body care to come up with a better name? If not, I think I'll patent this one. Laughing
I envision this one as two lines between plane and control head. The control head would contain double-arm servo, with receiver and battery on the pole.
This is minimal.weight on the plane, and would allow for traditional CL flying.

I guess if the RC servo ran the elevator directly (on board vs in place of two lines and "handle" on the pole) with only one line to the plane ala traditional RTP, then this could be called RTP-RC...which is much more manageable to say. However, now the weight is carried on board as in single channel RC. Besides the extra weight, this would be purpose-built with no two line conversion possible.

Somewhere on the forum is a handle/stick that operates the bellcrank via a cable from the outside of the circle. I seem to think Mauricio was involved in presenting it. This one is also a method for conversion, allowing any plane to be flown in the traditional CL fashion. (Do I remember this correctly?)

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:16 pm

Cox placed a rubber cone in some of his airplane models, this is to cushion a blow in case of crashing. In this way the impact would be largely absorbed by the cone, thus preventing breakage of the engine or other part of the model airplane.
The cone of my PT-19 is 40 years old and hardened, completely losing its function.
Using a silicone plug I intend to achieve a similar cone and with its shock-absorbing function.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:11 pm

Thats going to be interesting Mauricio, silicone isn't lathe friendly. Eager to see how you are going to do it. I think Matt and Bernie sells these.

Wen Mac makes a version of the pole mount remote C/L control.

Here's mine.

Cox PT-19 Trainer. Wm_rem10

Some dreamers on ebay are asking $150.00 plus. I paid $39.95 for mine with free shipping.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:30 pm

Roberto, if you watch the video, you can see that it has already been achieved. Silicone can be turned, two points:
1) the correct speed of rotation.
2) the tool perfectly sharpened.

The flight control is interesting!...maybe I can manufacture it...I just should know its parts.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:54 pm

MauricioB wrote:Roberto, if you watch the video, you can see that it has already been achieved. Silicone can be turned, two points:
1) the correct speed of rotation.
2) the tool perfectly sharpened.

The flight control is interesting!...maybe I can manufacture it...I just should know its parts.

I just watched the video Mauricio, I'm amazed that you achieved such positive results, you must have a very sharp cutter and a delicate touch. Did you have to experiment with the speeds?

The WM control is very nice, but I would think that one could be fashioned with a stick, a pivot, and some string. I think there is someone in the UK that did just that. I have been thinking about doing it saving me from falling down after a few rotations. Been there.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:40 pm

Engine running test with a cone made of turned silicone, starting from a beverage container cap.
Original Cox 6 x 2 propeller.
Engine clockwise rotation.
Fuel: R:20%/N:25%/rest methanol.

Roberto: the rotation speed must be high, the tool must be very sharp and it must advance slowly, that is, the revolutions are fast, the tool advance is slow. I Love This Forum!

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:07 am

MauricioB wrote:
getback wrote:Yea i should bee level when in neutral at bell crank ,good repair on the stem to , 35' would bee the ideal length for the control lines . Small Cox Logo Very Happy Small Cox Logo

Thanks Eric!...please tell me what expression those 35 are in? Are they foot? Huh...

35 feet is equal to 10,668 meters

Yes this is correct " is inches and ' is foot in USA . Man you can turn about anything on the Lathe you are mastering it my friend ! The cone looks great . This would bee good if you can get the outside the circle C/L fling and can di it with out getting Dizzy . sunny Thumbs Up
The engine sounds New, runs good RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:16 am

MauricioB wrote:please tell me what expression those 35 are in? Are they foot? Huh... 35 feet is equal to 10,668 meters
¡Eso es correcto! That is correct! Very Happy

(Para mis amigos estadounidenses, en algunos países usan la coma en vez del punto para la parte fraccionaria).
(For my American friends, in some countries they use the comma instead of the point for the fractional part.)

Mauricio, tu proyecto es muy bien. Your project is very good. Disfruté mirando a tu vídeo. I enjoyed watching your video. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:39 pm

Thank you Eric and Jorge for confirming the measurements of the flight lines.

Have you observed that this model has the engine with its propeller that rotates clockwise, it does not have ballast in the right wing, can someone tell me which of the physical techniques is best for flight?
I also have the blue and yellow PT-19, but this one has the motor that rotates the propeller counterclockwise and a counterweight on the right wing...anything to comment on this? thank you!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Yesterday at 10:26 am

Hi Mauricio, A "left-hand" propeller will cause the model to "torque-roll" counter-clockwise.. which is beneficial for a control-line airplane. When flying a conventional (counter-clockwise) flight path; this force will roll the model away from center-circle.. lessening the need for outboard wing-tip weight.

Because the majority of people (in general) are right-handed; is likely the reason why control-line models are flown in a counter-clockwise rotation. Since reed-valve engines can run in either direction; it's advantageous to run left-hand propellers. Conversely; rotary-valve model engines with their right-hand (only) propellers are torque-rolling the airplane "inwards". If line-tension is compromised.. there is less force to prevent the model from rolling inner-circle. Outboard wing-tip weight helps to counteract this force.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down