Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Postie... back-end service. Cox_ba12

Postie... back-end service. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Irvine Mills .75 replica
by Coxfledgling Today at 8:09 am

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:32 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (October 2024)
by Admin Today at 1:33 am

» Happy Birthday Robert ( Rsv1cox )
by balogh Today at 1:06 am

» Carburetor Sprinkler Rod Peak Tee Dee .049 / .051
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:02 pm

» OS MAX-D
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by getback Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» Cox .020 PeeWee/TeeDee prop-screw
by getback Yesterday at 7:55 am

» Wanted peewee 20 fuel tank
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:40 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:33 pm

» Off topic - Tonka dump truck restoration. 10:27
by rsv1cox Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Postie... back-end service. Empty
Live on Patrol

Postie... back-end service.

Go down

Postie... back-end service. Empty Postie... back-end service.

Post  roddie Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:37 pm

I got these parts in a consignment lot a few years back. Their cases/cylinder-piston assy's. have all been used to build custom-configured engines; mostly having the updated "horseshoe" back-end.. (backplate/carb.)

Postie... back-end service. Cox_0434

The remaining orphaned Postage-Stamp back-ends got "bagged and tagged"..  Shocked awaiting their fate. What will that be.. and when? Will they be pilfered for their fine-thread NVA's?  Shocked  Shocked  such a travesty.

They came from the "ECE" (early Cox era...); where their overall engine-quality was the highest. We can only imagine (in horror..) at the amount of these engines that got tossed..... when their RTF air-frame counterparts became unflyable.

Fast-forward to this past weekend.. I decided to give one of the carbs a good cleaning. This one lacked a NVA "seal".. of which I had NOS spares.

I've been using "Plackers" dental cleaning brushes dipped in glow-fuel to clean the insides of my engines' needle-valve housings. These work really well for this.. and there's no chance of damaging the delicate internal screw-threads.

Postie... back-end service. 20240628

Postie... back-end service. 20240627

Postie... back-end service. 20240629

I love the copper-star reed. This one is a replacement that came from my engine parts box.. and passed my blow/suck test.  Thumbs Up

The original 2-56 threaded case-screws were in the parts-bag.. and are in good condition.

Postie... back-end service. 20240632

Postie... back-end service. 20240633

I needed a spring to complete the NVA... and looked to my general compression-spring stock; where I found a replacement that fit the bill as far as the diameter/wire-size was concerned.

I cut the length (lower-left pc.) which worked-out perfect.

Postie... back-end service. 20240630

Postie... back-end service. 20240631

Postie... back-end service. 20240634

Last edited by roddie on Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added final pic)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Postie... back-end service. Empty Re: Postie... back-end service.

Post  balogh Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:06 pm

Roddie your careful engine part refurbishments are exemplary...you talk about my favorite reedies of which I hoarded more than 10 the majority having No1 cylinders of which a few are thin wall taper bore oldest stock units. The most aesthetically appealing to me reedies with astonishing performance, proven e.g in my Quickie100, revving near 28k unloaded in the air.

Unfortunately the beryllium star reeds are becoming unobtainium that really inflates the value of your stock. The plastic mylar reeds are thicker and slower and will not support the high rpm-s achievable with the thin beryllium reeds,  in my experience..

I replaced the NV spring on most with a tightly fitting silicone tube ending in a washer on its top end so that when set for max engine power, the NV should stay fixed. The black plastic seal turns brittle over time and will leak air, but the silicone tube sits on it and the NV tight with excellent sealing and vibration damping.

My first encounter with COX exactly 50 years ago was through this engine ending its carrier in a broken Stuka of a privileged friend who got hold of the plane from relatives in Western Germany, with us sitting behind the the then still existing Iron Curtain. He gave me the orphaned engine, which, turning me a COX engine maniac instantly, and a graduated mechanical engineer a few years later,  is still the pride of my collection, sometimes being on duty in my Quickie100 where I often swap engines.

Sorry for my lengthy commentary but the red posty turns me talkative whenever others write posts - with sentiments similar to mine- on it..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:43 pm

balogh wrote:

Sorry for my lengthy commentary but the red posty turns me talkative whenever others write posts - with sentiments similar to mine- on it..

I LOVE this about us here.. and particularly your comment Andy (my brother's name.. I think I mentioned that a while back..) I just thought about what it might have been like to know you back when we were young boys. I'm sure that we would have been what they now call "Besties".. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:02 pm

Thanks Roddie, same thoughts here..as a non-native speaker I do not always recognize if I am too much with my overspilling comments but glad you got my point .. Hand Shake
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:28 pm

Nice refurbish on the postage stamp Roddie…Attention to the smallest detail as your work typically is…. It’s amazing the plastic in these engines has held up that well…. Some of these are from the 60’s and still just fine!….

I don’t blame you for getting excited about these Andras…. They are quite the performers as your Q-100 has demonstrated…. I think the engines from this time period are some of the best Cox ever made…
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:02 pm

Yes Robert. I also noted that Roddie refurbished those backplates to as-new shiny, with no scratch or blemish...

And yes, while I love COX engines regardless their production era, the strongest and best oerformers in my stable are those from the 60-s and 70's..I prefer collecting and using those, the older the better...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down