Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased! Cox_ba12

Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Corsair - No guts no glory
by latole Today at 10:10 am

» Does anyone know what this contraption is???
by gkamysz Today at 9:27 am

» My N-1R build log
by Levent Suberk Today at 8:06 am

» Sunday Morning Comin' Down
by rsv1cox Today at 7:45 am

» COX .020 POWERED SPEEDSTER
by TD ABUSER Today at 6:33 am

» Cox extra 300s
by Coxfledgling Today at 6:16 am

» It's a "Flash-Back Friday"
by Kim Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:02 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by Jerry Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:13 am

» The Wood Shovel
by rsv1cox Thu Oct 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» Cox Icon RC TRansmitter and servo
by Cox International Thu Oct 24, 2024 11:55 am

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by LooseSpinner99 Thu Oct 24, 2024 8:42 am

» Cox p39 Airacobra
by 1975 control line guy Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:17 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2024
MauricioB's

"Cox .049 Circa 1975, custom."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased! Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased!

Go down

Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased! Empty Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased!

Post  halfpilot Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:41 am

Hi all,

Probably not the most reminisced of the Cox models since it originates in the mid 80s and it is firmly in the foamie camp which many of us IC guys dissaprove of but I noticed this EZ Bee II for sale on eBay and decided to bid and see what happened.

Having received it in the mail this morning I quickly realised that this purchase represents incredible value. Even my Q-Tee cost more to build and it did not include a brand new babe bee engine, #2630 muffler, Hitec Challenger radio system, complete #400 Cox starter set including a full bottle of Keil Kraft Nitrex fuel! OK, it's not really safe to fly 27mHz AM anymore but the servos are usable and there is a market for those 2ch AM radios among RC car guys. The fuel is also stale by now but I already have enough that I'm set for a season or two.

Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased! Img_1511
Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased! Img_1510

Only question remaining is when will the wind calm down so I can get it in the air?  Very Happy

Simon
halfpilot
halfpilot
Formerly known as:
ThermalSniffer

Formerly known as:ThermalSniffer

Back to top Go down

Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased! Empty Re: Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased!

Post  MauricioB Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:01 am

ThermalSniffer wrote:Hi all,

Probably not the most reminisced of the Cox models since it originates in the mid 80s and it is firmly in the foamie camp which many of us IC guys dissaprove of but I noticed this EZ Bee II for sale on eBay and decided to bid and see what happened.

Having received it in the mail this morning I quickly realised that this purchase represents incredible value. Even my Q-Tee cost more to build and it did not include a brand new babe bee engine, #2630 muffler, Hitec Challenger radio system, complete #400 Cox starter set including a full bottle of Keil Kraft Nitrex fuel! OK, it's not really safe to fly 27mHz AM anymore but the servos are usable and there is a market for those 2ch AM radios among RC car guys. The fuel is also stale by now but I already have enough that I'm set for a season or two.

Only question remaining is when will the wind calm down so I can get it in the air?  Very Happy

Simon

Hello Simon, first of all I congratulate you on your new acquisition, it is a beautiful model of the Cox RC aircraft era. I remember in my country in a hobbi store, see them hanging from the ceiling, several models like this one!
I hope you enjoy it, and that the wind calms down, so you can make a few flights, which logically I hope to see some video here!
Congratulations again!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:15 am

In the eighties, a good friend of mine owned a bicycle shop. One afternoon while helping him assist a customer in getting their bikes on their car rack one of these EZ Bee planes  was  in the back seat. Seeing how I enjoy planes as well as my friend we got to talking to the owner about it.   This was certainly a monumental period due to the cost factor of ARF's. Cox offered a plane and radio which did what it was supposed to do. The owner purchased it for their kids who didn't seem to share the same enthusiasm as we did. The plane was never even started, the owner handed the plane and radio to my friend and said enjoy it. It hangs to this day unflown over his tool cart in the shop. Everytime I see it, I badger him to go out and try it. They certainly appeared to me to be of quality. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  halfpilot Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:55 am

Even more pleasing: The fuel, unopened but dating from the early 1990s, is still good! Out of curiosity I tried a tank of it through a Pee Wee I'm refurbing and it seems OK. Thumbs Up

Unfortunately the servos that come with the included hitec radio are a little too big for the servo pockets in the fuselage and don't play nice with the telemetry on my JR XG8 radio. They're fine with the old 27mHz radio that they came with but I can elicit a jitter mode on my JR radio by wiggling the sticks very quickly. The pockets are molded to fit Cox/Sanwa 80111 servos. I will try and source something smaller and fill in the gaps I think.

The other issue is adhesive on the stickers is quite dry so, if I use them, I'm going to have to spray their backs with something like 3M 77 (safe on foamies) before sticking them to the plane.

Getting there!
Simon
halfpilot
halfpilot
Formerly known as:
ThermalSniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  halfpilot Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:12 pm

This evening I spent some time putting the model together. The wing joining tape was still OK but I had to spend time spraying the back of the decorative stickers with 3M77 because their adhesive had dried up. As someone who usually builds his own models and takes some pride in their fit and finish I was slightly annoyed that the tail is quite far from vertical when installed. Not sure if I can correct that on a polystyrene part.

I must admit I was expecting a smaller model until I received the box in the post. For a 1/2a size model this has a large 55” span which I hope will combine my gliding interest with my love for Cox Engines. Definitely the right model for me at least in terms of its flight profile of climb and glide. Just need to find some servos now.

Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased! Cbc7a310
Cox EZ Bee II - Pleased! E0bbe510
halfpilot
halfpilot
Formerly known as:
ThermalSniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:04 pm

What a pleasure. Good work RC Plane
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:56 pm

The EZ-Bee is what I used to teach myself to fly RC almost 30 years ago. I love those planes. I can't remember why I got my first one used from a hobby shop, but I flew the heck out of that one. Then when the wing broke from a few crashes, I bought a new one and flew the heck out of that one. I ended up given them away when moving, but I bought a NIB off eBay a couple of years ago and built it. They were stable enough that you COULD teach yourself to fly with them.

I remember one day I was at the open field we used for RC flying (that is, when the airplanes/homebuilts/skydivers weren't using the field) and flying my trusty EZ-Bee. I was talking to one of the other flyers as I started up the engine and gave the plane a toss. Then I turned around to look at him to answer a question and he said, "Watch the plane!" I said, "Oh, it'll be okay", and deliberately kept my back to the plane and talked to him for about another 20-25 seconds before I turned back to look at the plane. It was climbing out nice and straight as I knew it would be. That polyhedral wing makes it one of the most stable planes you'll find.

The Easy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Harv Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:33 am

Hi, I’m new to this group. I was just given 2 unused E-Z bee trainers with the radio controls  in their boxes. Are they worth doing anything with? They have a 1988 date. I was planning to do this with my grandson. Are they too old to get the batteries, fuel and such?
Harv
Harv

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:08 am

Harv wrote:Hi, I’m new to this group. I was just given 2 unused E-Z bee trainers with the radio controls  in their boxes. Are they worth doing anything with? They have a 1988 date. I was planning to do this with my grandson. Are they too old to get the batteries, fuel and such?

Greetings Harv!! Welcome to the CEF!
Congrats on finding a couple of E-Z Bees! A lot has changed since 1988. but the "old" stuff is still usable as long as the site you fly at will allow it.  Some Clubs have gone Digital only, and even (shame on them) electric only.
My EZ Bees take regular AA batteries in the transmitter, and 4-AAA batteries in the receiver. Off the shelf Wal-mart/DuraCell Alkiline batteries.  Fuel is available from SIG or Fitz Fuels as 1/2AFuel   www.sigmfg.com or http://fitzfuels.com/index.php
If you follow the Cox manual instructions, they'll fly great.  Do you have any flight experience? If not check with a local club if possible for flight training assistance.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:03 am

You also need one or two D cell batteries for glow head. Cox glow heads works with 1.5 Volts. Simply tape ends of glow clip ends on + and - poles of a D battery. If you want to use two batteries then wire them parallel, not series. You also can buy battery boxes made for this purpose here:

https://coxengines.ca/field-gear/cox-starter-battery-box-no-clip.html

OEM battery box:

https://coxengines.ca/field-gear/cox-starter-battery-box-oem-with-lid.html
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:47 am

Or, if you have Amazon Prime, what I like to use is:  D-Cell Holders

or: Other holders

I prefer the first, and I make up two battery boxes out of the four provided.  I use small cable ties and connect the black holders back to back in parallel and wire them to a glow head clip with slightly extended wires.  It's small enough for me to have in my shirt pocket for easy starting of the plane while I stand, holding the plane.

For the E-Z Bees, I know you'd prefer to use the radio equipment provided, but modern radio equipment is so much lighter, pretty cheap and reliable, that I'd use modern stuff.  Lighter will mean better performance, although my planes from back in the 90's flew great with the provided radios equipment.

If you're going to fly them, a feature that I'd strongly recommend is to take some filament strapping tape, and run it on the bottom of the wing from one wingtip to the other.  This helps with the foam wings bowing up when you hit a strong thermal or wind gust.

The Primo Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down