Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

redneck elevator hinge Cox_ba12

redneck elevator hinge Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by LooseSpinner99 Today at 6:19 am

» PSA propellors!!!
by robot797 Today at 2:32 am

» WEN-MAC STORY
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:37 am

» Just found this
by batjac Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» I Got Cheated!
by batjac Yesterday at 10:35 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» Wen Mac Aeromite/Challenger
by getback Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:46 am

» COX FUEL ?????
by 1975 control line guy Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:29 am

» The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp
by getback Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:19 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:52 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

redneck elevator hinge Empty
Live on Patrol

redneck elevator hinge

Go down

redneck elevator hinge Empty redneck elevator hinge

Post  akjgardner Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:15 am

redneck elevator hinge 01410
redneck elevator hinge 01510
redneck elevator hinge 01610
redneck elevator hinge 01710
redneck elevator hinge 01810                      Made this elevator hing out of a dryer sheet, I cut 4 pieces of 1/16 inch balsa and laminated the dryer sheet between the 4  pieces with a full length hinge. This is my first one so the gap is a little big, but the whole process only takes about 15 minutes.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

redneck elevator hinge Empty Re: redneck elevator hinge

Post  roddie Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:10 am

That's pretty cool Joe! I'd like to try that with silk. You could actually paint the pieces prior to assembly to keep paint out of the hinge.. although the paint might help to strengthen the weave of your dryer-sheet material. The sheets that I have, tear pretty easily.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:55 am

You might also want to consider Tyvek. I think it would be a little more resistant to fatigue failure than dryer sheets. Finding small amounts can be difficult, but a good bet would be a shipping envelop found at the post office. A second source is Tyvek house wrap. If there is a home being constructed nearby, the builder likely would give you a couple of square feet -- would make a lifetime of hinges.

My source is a pack of Tyvek diskette sleeves that I've held onto for years. These are extremely tear resistant and will endure a lot of abuse before failure.

More importantly, the hinging technique is a nice innovation and with a little beveling would give an airtight hinge gap.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:03 am

roddie wrote:That's pretty cool Joe! I'd like to try that with silk. You could actually paint the pieces prior to assembly to keep paint out of the hinge.. although the paint might help to strengthen the weave of your dryer-sheet material. The sheets that I have, tear pretty easily.
Yeah Roddie silk would work better and I will try that too. I Just dont like to cut hinge slots and was trying to come up with an alternative. I was surprised how quick and easy this method was, Thanks for the input
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 am

andrew wrote:You might also want to consider Tyvek. I think it would be a little more resistant to fatigue failure than dryer sheets. Finding small amounts can be difficult, but a good bet would be a shipping envelop found at the post office. A second source is Tyvek house wrap. If there is a home being constructed nearby, the builder likely would give you a couple of square feet -- would make a lifetime of hinges.

My source is a pack of Tyvek diskette sleeves that I've held onto for years. These are extremely tear resistant and will endure a lot of abuse before failure.

More importantly, the hinging technique is a nice innovation and with a little beveling would give an airtight hinge gap.
Yeah Andrew tyvek would work well , I will look for some and try it too. Thanks for the suggestion.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Hey! They're all great ideas !   I have plans to use some 2"wide fiberglass drywall seam tape. The stuff is strong, flexible and open mesh for the glue to bond to. I also have plans to use the carbon fiber tow I got from Fred to make a set of sewn hinges.
redneck elevator hinge Image14
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:40 pm

OH PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT! IE: use CF TOW for a sewn hinge

UNLESS!!! you very very carefully use only aliphatic or OTHER than CA glues

CF TOW is good for a lot of things----- and one of its very cool characteristic abilities is to wick or capillary action ALL of any thin glue along its entire length.... think about that for a second

I do not do sewn hinges for only one reason...I am much too old to make them look real pretty... but if I did, they would always be done with waxed dental floss

The sandwiched solid hinge line with ANY fabric is very good idea -----EXCEPT you MUST find a way to finish the surfaces without adding the covering (paint/dope/mono) into the hinge line ----and gaining stiffness

MY dad used to do this ( sandwich method) with the early 60s kits and cloth hinges by using a crayon to add wax in the middle so as to NOT get a dope build up and the associated stiffness...real fiddly but he and I made it work

In My Opinion hinges need three (seemingly mutually exclusive) characteristics....
1. fully free moving
2. gap-less
3. Look good

On the other hand

If YOU do not compete, you do NOT need the best of the best....then... most of the time the very least amount of parts in ANY hinge system ---that is free moving--- and positively keeps the solid and moving surface aligned----works adequately for us weekend warriors ---who just want to spew glow fuel exhaust and have fun

I have several planes that fly just fine with typical 3 to 7 Robart hinge point-- or DuBro/Klett pinned hinges per moving surface

And two or three 1/2As with cloth done exactly as per plan.... so IMO.... a gap less sealed hing line is NOT a big deal....

BUT I do subscribe to the notion that ALL Hinges MUST be self falling and as free to flex as physically possible

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks for that info Phred! I don't have any carbon-tow.. but it's good to know about it's wicking-properties with thin CA.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:09 pm

A second Thanks to you Fred. I will use the CF tow for something other than sewn hinges. I do like the idea of using waxed floss for its flexibility and resistance to paint adherence.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:04 pm

I cut up a cat litter bag once for foamy hinges. It worked pretty darn good... but not much sticks to plastic.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Tyvek can also be had at local automotive paint suppliers as we wear Tyvek paint suits.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:04 am

I like the idea and look of the sandwich hinge , not so much on the drier sheet though. Mt last few hinges were sewn with upholstery thread after all the prep and painting was done > this way the sting don't get stiff , unless it wicks when sealing the holes with thin CA , the Med CA will work but can leave a glue bump if not careful. What?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:40 pm

getback wrote:I like the idea and look of the sandwich hinge , not so much on the drier sheet though. Mt last few hinges were sewn with upholstery thread after all the prep and painting was done > this way the sting don't get stiff , unless it wicks when sealing the holes with thin CA , the Med CA will work but can leave a glue bump if not careful. What?
I CA harden the holes before sewing. Then just a dot of epoxy or white glue on the knot, which is on the underside of the surface.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:06 pm

getback wrote:I like the idea and look of the sandwich hinge , not so much on the drier sheet though. Mt last few hinges were sewn with upholstery thread after all the prep and painting was done > this way the sting don't get stiff , unless it wicks when sealing the holes with thin CA , the Med CA will work but can leave a glue bump if not careful. What?
Eric , I used a dryer sheet not thinking it would be strong enough,but like roddie I like to try to use things around the house. Turns out after the superglue dried , it became very strong, I tried to pull it apart with a fair amount of pressure but could not. I'm puting it on my new cardboard wing stunt man
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:46 am

Just thinking after reading this thread: Pinned hinges from Dubro etc. would be a very simple install on 1/2a elevators if you just glued them to the BOTTOM of the stab and elevator. Sure they wouldn't be centered but there would be no hinge slots to cut and they could be installed after painting the surfaces.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:38 pm

I CA harden the holes before sewing. Then just a dot of epoxy or white glue on the knot, which is on the underside of the surface. wrote:
Wonder why i didn't think of that !!?!?! Good one to remember for the next times.. Thanks This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:41 pm

akjgardner wrote:
Eric , I used a dryer sheet not thinking it would be strong enough,but like roddie I like to try to use things around the house. Turns out after the superglue dried , it became very strong, I tried to pull it apart with a fair amount of pressure but could not. I'm puting it on my new cardboard wing stunt man
That's Cool , is that on the ones in the sandwich ele/stab set up and did the hinge get stiff??
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:31 am

706jim wrote:Just thinking after reading this thread: Pinned hinges from Dubro etc. would be a very simple install on 1/2a elevators if you just glued them to the BOTTOM of the stab and elevator. Sure they wouldn't be centered but there would be no hinge slots to cut and they could be installed after painting the surfaces.

Another version of that is to use a ribbon (or dryer sheet) on the bottom. Be sure to use a taper instead of rounded and that the taper allows as much "up" as you need for full elevator movement. That process worked well on the old Scientific "Hollow Logs".

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:02 pm

I put it on another stunt man that I am building and no It did not get stiff at all. I am very happy with it. I will post a pic of the completed airplane latter
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down