Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 Cox_ba12

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Betty Skelton
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:20 pm

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:46 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by Ken Cook Today at 5:03 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Today at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Today at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Today at 10:30 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by roddie Today at 10:02 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Today at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Today at 7:46 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 7:19 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 Empty Re: When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled

Post  Kim Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Agreed! Though I consider those to also be Man Parts !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 Empty Re: When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled

Post  Kim Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:01 am

Bad news for the old PT. It looks like John's PT-19 is totaled. The left wing's box-type spar is severely damaged from the span-wise crunch on it's impact with the ground. The center section was also compressed, with the fuselage's main tubes being bent at the wing's trailing edge attach points.

It still may be rebuilt by whoever buys it for salvage, but may also be parted out to support another rebuild. The sight of the WWII trainer is gonna be missed by it's many fans around here, along with the low, "Tractor Rumble" of it's six cylinder Ranger turning that big wooden prop.

John was always very generous in giving rides in the old bird, and now, my time in the front seat has dramatically jumped in "Memory Value".

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 Pt-19_10

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 2_pt-110

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 4_pt-110
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:37 am

Well that's a big bummer...
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:26 am

That's Horrible!. Not many of those left I would imagine. It was a good trainer, as it taught the pilot a valuable lesson and he/they were able to walk away.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:40 am

How many of you know what the thing is behind Kim's head?
When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 2_pt-110
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 am

May her salvagable parts help another PT come to life. All is not lost by any means. Sad

Edit:

Travis: Huh... Haven't clue. Tell us.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:25 am

WingingIt74 wrote:How many of you know what the thing is behind Kim's head?

Roll bar
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:37 am

I expect most of us here like me have a, dare I say, heartfelt fondness for precision machinery and the meticulous engineering that brings them to kinetic life. That being said, I too mourn the loss of a beautiful machine like the PT-19, and also for the pilot who will miss it and blame himself forever for wrecking it. I'll give my model PT a pat when I open up the shop today.

Now, what is the purpose for that triangular support with the beam welded on top? A(don't laugh) roll bar? Or something he used in his exhibitions? EDIT: Nevermind.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:07 am

andrew wrote:

Roll bar

I believe it's a dirigible mount. I may be wrong though.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:15 am

WingingIt74 wrote:
andrew wrote:

Roll bar

I believe it's a dirigible mount. I may be wrong though.

Can you imagine that ride.

RELEASE!!,,yehaaaaa!

PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:40 pm

RknRusty wrote:I expect most of us here like me have a, dare I say, heartfelt fondness for precision machinery and the meticulous engineering that brings them to kinetic life. That being said, I too mourn the loss of a beautiful machine like the PT-19, and also for the pilot who will miss it and blame himself forever for wrecking it. I'll give my model PT a pat when I open up the shop today.

Now, what is the purpose for that triangular support with the beam welded on top? A(don't laugh) roll bar? Or something he used in his exhibitions? EDIT: Nevermind.

Yeah, John is taking it REALLY hard, and it's a shame to see it. This was his third decade flying the PT.

Yes, the welded truss is actually a roll-over structure (or "nose-over"). It seems that student pilots had a knack for flipping planes upside down on the ground, and the support is to help hold the fuselage off the ground a bit to give the student ( and possibly his tortured instructor) a chance to get out of the plane while it was laying on it's back !

We always speculated that it would only do you some good on a hard surface runway, and sink right into sod, but appreciated the thought anyway !

Other planes such as the PT-17 and N-3-N had and extra wing to accomplish this chore.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:34 pm

If the PT were insured that might be some consolation to John.

Is there such a thing as the equivilant of "collision" insurance for aircraft?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:46 am

SuperDave wrote:If the PT were insured that might be some consolation to John.

Yeah, the PT was well-covered, and John's still got projects lined up to forever. The PT was the centerpiece of his work though. It is owned by a group of 5, 3 flyers and two non-flying supporters, and there may be another PT on the horizon for them.

John also built and flys a beautiful RV-7 that is his "normal" ride when the PT was out on it's circuits among the other owners, so he's still got a toy to play with, along with a couple Ranger engines that he's overhauling.

He's a busy dude!

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 1_28

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 2_27
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 am

Kim wrote:
SuperDave wrote:If the PT were insured that might be some consolation to John.

Yeah, the PT was well-covered, and John's still got projects lined up to forever. The PT was the centerpiece of his work though. It is owned by a group of 5, 3 flyers and two non-flying supporters, and there may be another PT on the horizon for them.

John also built and flys a beautiful RV-7 that is his "normal" ride when the PT was out on it's circuits among the other owners, so he's still got a toy to play with, along with a couple Ranger engines that he's overhauling.

He's a busy dude!

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 1_28

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled - Page 2 2_27

That's some good news Kim. He should be able to make a few bucks parting the PT out. Even with a damaged airframe it should be worth a bit of money.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:52 am

Typically when an insured plane is totaled the insurance company gets it. However, in the few times I have been involved in totaled aircraft, the insurance company is usually willing to sell it back to the original owner relatively inexpensively if the owner can "take delivery" before the insurance company has to start spending time and money on the totaled airframe. From what I have seen timing is the key to getting a deal.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:19 am

As Bob has explained that standard insurance industry procedure in the case of a "total" whether an aircraft or an automobile or other insured property..
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:10 pm

The emotional loss is perhaps the greatest as is the loss of a beloved pet.

In time the grief passes and one comes to realize others will fit in to your life.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:27 pm

SuperDave wrote:The emotional loss is perhaps the greatest as is the loss of a beloved pet.

In time the grief passes and one comes to realize others will fit in to your life.
Well put Dave.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Bob:

I believe that we all have had or will have the experience of which I write.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:36 pm

I've had, and will Dave.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2