Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

[solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question Cox_ba12

[solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by LooseSpinner99 Today at 6:19 am

» PSA propellors!!!
by robot797 Today at 2:32 am

» WEN-MAC STORY
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:37 am

» Just found this
by batjac Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» I Got Cheated!
by batjac Yesterday at 10:35 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» Wen Mac Aeromite/Challenger
by getback Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:46 am

» COX FUEL ?????
by 1975 control line guy Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:29 am

» The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp
by getback Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:19 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:52 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

[solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question Empty
Live on Patrol

[solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question

Go down

[solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question Empty [solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:34 pm

I opened up my old faithful TD .049 that's been on the Stuntman for almost a year because it was becoming erratic. I cleaned it out and gave the crank a light polish with 1000 grit paper wet with Marvel mystery Oil. Cleaned out the crank tube with alcohol and it was discolored with gray swirls but smooth. It didn't have much compression and didn't run very fast compared to my .051, and the piston had what looked like discoloring from blow-by all over the skirt. It seemed like a good fit and still had some pinch at the top but I thought maybe the cylinder was shot.

I put a new in the package Cox #4 piston/cylinder set on it and a 5" MA prop and started the familiar old Bee break-in routine. It's hard to get it sloppy rich with a bladder, but I could get it to 4 stroke enough down around 18k RPM. It was hard to keep running at first, but after a couple of ounces it would run rich and hang on, and when I lean it out it runs in the high 19k range bouncing off of 20 now and then. After about 4 ounces of fuel it still won't hold a fast lean needle, so I can richen it and then go back to fast and lean for about ten seconds until it stumbles again. And it has one helluva nosebleed. It did before too. Is that likely to cause a performance problem, or does a Tee Dee just take more break-in running than a Bee?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

[solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question Empty Re: [solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Rusty, are you saying the case is weeping at the drive plate while running? This obviously is not an ideal condition. How about that 0-ring aluminum body? That may prevent some of that from passing. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

[solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question Empty Re: [solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Ken Cook wrote: Rusty, are you saying the case is weeping at the drive plate while running? This obviously is not an ideal condition. How about that 0-ring aluminum body? That may prevent some of that from passing. Ken
Right, weeping behind the drive plate, sometimes it even looks like a spray.

After I put the aluminum carb on it it wouldn't keep running, just shutting off for no apparent reason, so I put a plastic one back on it and it was better but not great, kind of like it is now. In fact when I flew it last Saturday it shut off in mid flight with the plastic carb. So that's when I decided to tear it down. I was wondering if my bladder tubing had gone bad, but the Streak ran fine on the same stuff.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Generally speaking, when I have an engine that just shuts off I look at the plug first to be suspect. Is this a high time case? I don't really recall seeing font end leaks on my Tee Dee's. I have plenty of Fox .35's that do that. I'm quite sure this could certainly lower performance. I just don't think it would cause the engine to just quit. If you have any air leaks around the threaded portion the venturi screws into I would look at that area closely. I'm puzzled as to why the aluminum body was problematic. I've had very slight fitment issues with them that were easily resolved, but the runs were impeccable. I also have fixed many of the plastic style by using K&S tubing and carefully making a collar out of the tubing. This method works amazing as it squeezes all the cracks back together making the venturi nice and tight again. Prior to slipping the collar on, I rough it up on the outside and clean with solvent then I use epoxy prior to the ring slipping on. Here are some pics. Ken

[solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question Dscn1531

[solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question Dscn1532

[solved]Breaking in a new Tee Dee #4 - question Dscn1533
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Ken Cook wrote: Generally speaking, when I have an engine that just shuts off I look at the plug first to be suspect. Is this a high time case? I don't really recall seeing font end leaks on my Tee Dee's. I have plenty of Fox .35's that do that. I'm quite sure this could certainly lower performance. I just don't think it would cause the engine to just quit. If you have any air leaks around the threaded portion the venturi screws into I would look at that area closely. I'm puzzled as to why the aluminum body was problematic. I've had very slight fitment issues with them that were easily resolved, but the runs were impeccable. I also have fixed many of the plastic style by using K&S tubing and carefully making a collar out of the tubing. This method works amazing as it squeezes all the cracks back together making the venturi nice and tight again. Prior to slipping the collar on, I rough it up on the outside and clean with solvent then I use epoxy prior to the ring slipping on...

I was thinking maybe the head too. I haven't swapped it out yet but that's next on the list. It's probably a high time case, but I agree, just sudden shutting off isn't what I would expect either, rather low but steady crankcase pressure. Even though it's not feeding fuel on suction it could still pull extra air around the threads. I inspected the new carb body under the magnifying lamp for fractures before and after I installed it, no visible cracks. I was thinking of a bead of permatex front and rear of the carb body. I have another new plastic one I can try before I go buy tubing. There's not much else it can be. The backplate is tight. I'll try another bladder too, I have several fresh ones tied up.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:21 am

Rusty,

There is a thread on RCU technical Cox question and BMatthews has a post which might offer some insight to this. I am not sure but it looks like it could be a possibility.

Good luck,

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 am

I'll see if I can dig it up, thanks.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:14 pm

You CAN run that combo but due to the limitations of the reed style intake and the extra length of the choke tube style intake you will likely not see any RPM gain over the more simple two bypass flute style cylinder.

The increased compression may or may not work out. You'd need to try it. If the increase in compression combined with the less than true "small prop" Tee Dee style RPM results in firing too early you'll simply beat up the engine and not see a gain in RPM.

For example even with a Tee Dee the high comp head needs a fairly free running prop. The one time I ran my own Tee Dee for a lot of runs on a model using a 5x3 prop it ran like crud for the first few flights. Eventually it darn near stopped. Seems I'd been getting so early ignition that I busted the seal on the plug. I replaced it with a regular straight cone style plug and it ran much stronger and smoother immediately. Never looked back and have not seen a need to try another high comp head for the sort of flying I do.

Oh, I tend to run at LEAST 25% nitro for my 1/2A engines all the time other than on my Tecaco models where it's 5%.

I was having trouble getting a link to work so I just printed the post itself. Hope it helps. This is from the 1/2a moderator BMatthews over at RCUniverse.

Hope i'm not stepping on any toes with this.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 pm

So maybe I have too much compression with the new cylinder/piston. I put it back together with only the 2 shims I was using with the old set. I'll experiment with shims and heads this evening before I try anything else.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:47 am

It runs fine now. I tried 4 shims with the same head and had no improvement. I put a Babe Bee head and two shims on it and it ran an unwavering 18.4K for the full run. I put another 1702 head with two shims on it and it held 19.4K with no nonsense for the full run. Not real fast for a Tee Dee, but fine for my purposes. The Chopper shall fly again.

Hopefully this coming Saturday morning will be dry and calm enough to take some planes out. I want to try my little Kom-Bat too. It has the Black Widow I tuned up last winter, and may be one I enter into the Tach Race.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:31 pm

If it runs well on the bench but has over heating symptoms in the air you may have some fuel foaming. (Notice how I suddenly know about this?) A little Armor All in the fuel works wonders.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:09 pm

I'll keep that in mind, but in an airless bladder, it shouldn't be able to foam. Same with a pressure-less party balloon bladder if you evacuate it before filling. My Bean/Medallion would cough and sputter with a wedgie but ran smoothly with the balloon. That may be why. I didn't know why at the time, but it's probably the reason I gave up using the wedge.
Maybe I'll revisit the wedge in the future. Maybe not.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:10 pm

Forgot all about the bladders. I guess I am still too excited about beating the foam issue after about 25 years.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down