Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion? Cox_ba12

Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» PSA propellors!!!
by robot797 Today at 2:32 am

» WEN-MAC STORY
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:37 am

» Just found this
by batjac Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» I Got Cheated!
by batjac Yesterday at 10:35 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Yesterday at 8:41 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» Wen Mac Aeromite/Challenger
by getback Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by rdw777 Yesterday at 12:05 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:46 am

» COX FUEL ?????
by 1975 control line guy Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:29 am

» The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp
by getback Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:19 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:52 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion? Empty
Live on Patrol

Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion?

Go down

Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion? Empty Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion?

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 pm

I have one of the screw-in radial mount backplates for a Tee Dee or a Medallion .049. I was thinking of switching out the RR1 on the Li'l Satan for some extra pizzazz and another minute of flying time. I'd like to try the Medallion first since it should be a little tamer(even though I have a hi perf cylinder on it), and I was wondering if anyone had tried a Tee Dee carb assembly on a Medallion. That would allow me to use a pressure bladder to feed it.

Or I could go straight to the Tee Dee, but I'm sure that would be a handful. Any of you guys ever tried either option on a Li'l Satan?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion? Empty re: TD carb on medallion

Post  happydad Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:35 pm

RknRusty wrote:I have one of the screw-in radial mount backplates for a Tee Dee or a Medallion .049. I was thinking of switching out the RR1 on the Li'l Satan for some extra pizzazz and another minute of flying time. I'd like to try the Medallion first since it should be a little tamer(even though I have a hi perf cylinder on it), and I was wondering if anyone had tried a Tee Dee carb assembly on a Medallion. That would allow me to use a pressure bladder to feed it.

Or I could go straight to the Tee Dee, but I'm sure that would be a handful. Any of you guys ever tried either option on a Li'l Satan?

i was actually going to try the opposite combination. the medallion carb/venturi on the TD since i have the medallion red plastic carb/venturis and the TD carb/spray bar/venturi could run $20.00. the cranksaft for the medallion has a hole about 3/16inch, approx., while the TD crankshaft has a slot about 3/16inch wide by 3/8inch long, again approx., so i would think the TD combination would work much better due to the crankshaft difference alone. since i do not have the TD venturi i can't compare the medallion venturi size to the TD aluminum venturi size. happydad Small Cox Logo
Futaba Radio RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion? Empty Re: Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion?

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:37 am

I got back out of bed because I can't quit thinking about airplanes. Rolling Eyes
The Medallion carb will work well on a Tee Dee if you want to use suction fuel feed. Or so they say over at at Stuka Stuntworks. Tee Dees are better suited for one type of pressure or another. I like to use pressureless balloons to feed the Medallion. That should do the trick on your combination. I'll measure a Tee Dee venturi for you Wednesday afternoon.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion? Empty Re: Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion?

Post  Ken Cook Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:31 am

Rusty, I have the Tee Dee on a Combat Kitten. I'm not on pressure and I regret not setting the plane up to be used on pressure. The Kitten is a bit larger than the Satan. I've never had the engine work to the capacity that bladder would allow. This is why tanks and wings don't get along. I've tried crank pressure, uniflow, and many other options. I'm used to flying fast wings so it certainly doesn't seem to be a wild ride but I'm also on 42' lines center of plane center of handle. I would think the TD is going to be lighter than the RR-1. I could be wrong on that as I don't have one to weigh. I would certainly try to make the plane a bit nose heavy at first then remove weight. I see no reason why the Medallion wouldn't work with the TD housing and KK needle. I was using a Dave Brown mount but the mount kept breaking. I went through 3 of them. I drilled a through hole for a 2-56 screw and came back on the other side to counter bore a flat on the angled portion of the mount. This allowed a washer and lock not to sit flat and parallel to the bolt. Vibrations would always break the mount through the center of the hole. My next thought is to drill the mount and tap the composite for 2-56 threads. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Ken, this is the mount I have
Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion? Texas_radial_mount_typical_small
Is that a Dave Brown mount?

Weight-wise, you're right, a Tee Dee weighs 1.5oz and a Black Widow weighs 2.2oz. The RR1 might weigh more. Do you think it would adversely affect the stunt performance if I were to extend the motor mount with plywood? The extension might make up the weight difference. I could tack it all together for balancing until I get the length right.

I expect to be flying on 40' lines. I've checked and I think my field can safely accommodate that.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:19 pm

Rusty, that mount you have is a very good mount. The Dave Brown mounts are real inexpensive.http://www.dbproducts.com/store/cfmm.htm I use them more for convenience and the fact that they do break easy on impact usually saving the model. I would certainly try to get the plane to balance at the firewall now. If that isn't conceivable, I would try and move it out forward. My feelings are that if the engine gets out there too far, it certainly is going to affect turning. That mount is going to add a touch of weight as well.

I always wanted to make a brass spinner for Cox engines identical to the aluminum for this purpose. This is where experimenting comes into play. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Ken Cook wrote: Rusty, I have the Tee Dee on a Combat Kitten. I'm not on pressure and I regret not setting the plane up to be used on pressure. The Kitten is a bit larger than the Satan. I've never had the engine work to the capacity that bladder would allow. This is why tanks and wings don't get along. I've tried crank pressure, uniflow, and many other options...
You may benefit from a Medallion carb on your Tee Dee. It probably draws on suction way better than the Tee Dee carb. It might perk it up to near full power. I have had good luck with pressureless party balloons feeding my Medallion, like in these pictures:
Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion? SAM_1512
Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion? SAM_1510

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Rusty, I've never tried it but one of our senior members in the club has a great running TD with the Medallion carb body on a Veco Scout. My Combat Kitten drove me over the edge. It really is the tank. In order for the tank to work properly, it really needs to be behind the engine directly. I have it mounted outboard and this is causing the fuel to go out and then have to go left towards the fuel inlet. It creates a lean situation automatically. You combine this problem with a plane that turns rapidly, you now have a plane that doesn't work. If I run it richer, it pretty much defeats the purpose.

This is why bladder works superior to tanks. I do have a ready to go Medallion that I could try. I did try a Norvel .049 and wasn't overly impressed as once again, the tank was being problematic. I want to put a bladder tube internally in this plane. It was suggested to me on here to install a cigar tube for a bladder compartment. I thought that was a pretty cool idea. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:40 pm

I never could find a cigar tube that was wide enough. But I did smoke a great Macanudo while I was searching.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Ever tried a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion? Empty Re:Ever tried to run a Tee Dee carb on a Medallion?

Post  66 Malibu Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Ken/Rusty,
If you can find one, try the large heavy prop spinner off a Cox AT-6 RTF plane.It weighs 10.1 grams vs. the Tee Dee spinner weight of 1.3 grams. It is stud mounted and has a hex flange for ease in tightening plus the offsetting weight for better C/L balance. They were very popular with C/L flyers.....Steve

Ken Cook wrote: Rusty, that mount you have is a very good mount. The Dave Brown mounts are real inexpensive.http://www.dbproducts.com/store/cfmm.htm I use them more for convenience and the fact that they do break easy on impact usually saving the model. I would certainly try to get the plane to balance at the firewall now. If that isn't conceivable, I would try and move it out forward. My feelings are that if the engine gets out there too far, it certainly is going to affect turning. That mount is going to add a touch of weight as well.

I always wanted to make a brass spinner for Cox engines identical to the aluminum for this purpose. This is where experimenting comes into play. Ken
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks Malibu, I will commence searching. I didn't know such a thing existed. That's the best solution. I have one of the heavy spinner lugs Bernie sells, but it's only 7 grams. I'll get it figured out before I rush into modifying anything. I caused myself a world of grief changing from a Black Widow to a Tee Dee on my Stuntman23 chopper and royally screwed up the aerodynamics. In fact I could use one of those heavy spinners for it.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:13 pm

Here's a very good article on trimming a control line combat plane.
http://flyinglines.org/mckay.trimming.html
The more I read, I realize I better be really careful changing what the Satan was designed for. I might just leave the RR1 on it and settle for 90 second flights. I can build a new one designed for another power plant. I have more engines than planes anyway. It seemed like a good idea for a brief moment.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:31 pm

The Satan and the Kitten are great little planes for Cox reedies. The problem with them is that there wing is really small. In order to get the true performance from the TD the plane needs to be built around the engine. Rich Von Lopez did just that for combat enthusiasts in the mid 70's. Planes like the Lil Matador really are gems . The design is just superior to the older classed models. The Lil Matador has a 27" wingspan which is large considering the Satan span. This really helps. The Satan for instance really wants to stall when flown hard. THis is a plane certainly on my to do list of 1/2 A builds. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:22 pm

Just another one of my typical wild haired Rusty ideas, better left alone. The baby Streak is 27" and I think I remember writing I felt like I had just flown my first plane that wasn't a toy. Like you said, built for the right engine. So I should be concentrating on finding the right rides for my Norvel .061 and my MP Jet. My Tee Dees and RR1 already have good jobs. The only engine I have without a good job, other than a bucket full of Bees, is my hotrod Medallion.
[/crazyidea]

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:53 am

Rusty, there are some extremely neat planes out there for both the Norvel .061 and the Medallion. I favor them both . The Brodak Pathfinder was unlike any plane I ever flew in 1/2 A. I didn't build the one I had. Mine was given to me and it used to hang from the ceiling of a hobby shop that is now long gone. It looked good but it had some control issues that I wasn't happy with. I can certainly say without a doubt though, the plane needs lines from 45' -50'. I really just didn't care for the appearance of the plane. There's also a lot of parts to the wing of this plane.

I'm also a fan of Dick Sarpolus. Dick designs many control line birds with sheet wings. After flying them, you really are quite surprised to see how well they fly. These planes are typically quite large and a Tee Dee is recommended. Dick has the 1/2A Nobler which is quite impressive and I'm certain would do well with the hopped up Medallion. He was a fan of warbirds as well and made many designs of the large sheet wing profiles: Mig 15, F-86, Corsair F4U. Black Hawk kitted some of these models for a while. I have so many kits and plans, I wish I knew how to post a plan on here. I have some in a PDF and I don't quite know how to transfer the PDF to the forum. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:01 am

RknRusty wrote:...I'd like to try the Medallion first since it should be a little tamer(even though I have a hi perf cylinder on it), and I was wondering if anyone had tried a Tee Dee carb assembly on a Medallion. That would allow me to use a pressure bladder to feed it.

The following comments are speculation. I have not tried switching intakes.

The Medallion has a small crankshaft intake and a single bypass port. They were designed for easier handling and the power of a sport engine. It runs well with suction feed.

The Tee Dee has a larger intake and two bypass ports to allow it to supply more air and fuel to the upper cylinder for more power and higher RPM. The carb assembly runs on suction but better on pressure. It is a little more "sensitive" to handling.

It would seem to me by putting the TD venturi on a Medallion, handling would suffer because you are trying to shove more air and fuel through a smaller hole in the crankshaft. Since you are using a two bypass cylinder that should work the same except your bypass rate is again limited by the smaller crankshaft hole.

OTOH, using a Medallion intake housing on a Tee Dee may increase suction and allow you great performance on a vented tank.

Bottom line, it you are using a pressure tank go for the whole TeeDee. Yes, it WILL be a handfull (of fun)!

If you are not competing you can go to longer lines.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down