Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Dedicated to our newer members Cox_ba12

Dedicated to our newer members Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Betty Skelton
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:20 pm

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:46 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by Ken Cook Today at 5:03 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Today at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Today at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Today at 10:30 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by roddie Today at 10:02 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Today at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Today at 7:46 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 7:19 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Dedicated to our newer members Empty
Live on Patrol

Dedicated to our newer members

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dedicated to our newer members Empty Dedicated to our newer members

Post  SuperDave Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:25 am

This is a tribute to military pilots then and now that I have posted previously.

Please enjoy with your speakers on and catch the lyrics by Dwayne O'Brien.

https://www.youtube.com/v/RU1oB8sGyYM
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Dedicated to our newer members Empty Re: Dedicated to our newer members

Post  SuperDave Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Hello?

Oh wow! 28 views and no replys?

So much for pitching something toward the new members. Dedicated to our newer members 3929217648
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:04 pm

dave, i don't see any of our new members online, at the moment Smile
don't worry, they'll see it sooner or later Wink
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 am

Just to clarify Dave a lot of these 'Viewers' are the bots from Google, Ask etc and
not real members.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:51 am

John Goddard wrote:Just to clarify Dave a lot of these 'Viewers' are the bots from Google, Ask etc and
not real members.
Very Happy

Possibly true, Johnnie Boy. I'm just tired of submiting good material and not getting a comment one way or the other. It's a bit like playng tennis by yourself; serve the "ball" and no one returns it. Not my idea of an activity worthy of my thought or time.

CECF didn't start oui that way. What has happened the participation that we once knew?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:54 am

SuperDave wrote:CECF didn't start oui that way. What has happened the participation that we once knew?

On all of the forums I am a member of, the majority of new members never ever post. Those that do, start very slowly, and many have no forum experience, so their comfort level is low. As for this particular topic, its original content has already been posted and commented on by many. It was not necessarily dedicated to new members, but how do you know the viewers did not appreciate it. They might have whipped a tear but didn't know it was hoped or expected of them to offer you validation. Being new, in addition to the reasons i mentioned, they are possibly wary of creating clutter in an unfamiliar forum.

I don't seem to be having a problem generating interest. I've only started 93 threads, because I am not overflowing with topics that can't be found already covered in detail either here or in other forums, but of those I have started, mine seem to always run their course until the topic is answered in full. I have yet to be disappointed with the interest my topics generate. Some have gone on for 2,3,4 pages.

If one out of ten new members ever posts more than once, we are way way ahead of forum averages. Even at RCG, you mostly see the same core group participating in all of the threads in each section. See how many members they have compared to how many actually post. How many views compared to the number of replies.

Our core group is expanding, but when we reach 10,000 members, don't expect more than 100 to be active posters. Many get what they joined for without ever so much as a peep. When a new forum pops up and has 100 members, participation is always a high percentage of the total membership. CEF is still ahead of the average. Forum participation will wax and wane, and the core group will shift much faster than it will grow. You may as well expect it.

Last edited by RknRusty on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:54 am

Good vid Dave,

Nicely done!

I see where your new mantra hails from!

Normally I steer clear of WWII footage or war footage in general but, this was rather tame. Couple months ago I sat down to watch WWII in HD and got about 2 mins into the invasion of Poland and had to shut it off as it made my stomach turn.

Don't be concerned over the lack of replies, sometimes good posts can stand by themselves.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:41 am

Thanks Rusty and Ron.

When I posted I noted that it had been posted previously and that I was posting again for new members that probably missed it. My intended purpose was to draw out comment from the new members which hasn't happened. Therefore I am disappointed.

Yes Rusty, I have initiated several threads that have gone 3-4 pages and drew lots of discussion. The "Tribute to Military Pilots" dedicated to new members indicates to me that few are doing the posting and many are just sitting back watching for whatever the reason.

Forums function best when there is interaction among the membership. I have moderated several other forums which experienced a fast start followed be a slow decline. The all to familar pattern emerges of a growing membership and a declining rate of participation.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:15 am

cribbs74 wrote:Good vid Dave,

Normally I steer clear of WWII footage or war footage in general but, this was rather tame. Couple months ago I sat down to watch WWII in HD and got about 2 mins into the invasion of Poland and had to shut it off as it made my stomach turn.

"Toujours au danger"- always in danger. Suits me well don't you think? Very Happy

Yes, I borrowed it from Jimmy Doolittle's 17th Bomber Squadron. I was a young kid during WWII and went to the movies every Saturday to catch "Movietone News" which was heavy into coverage of what we then called simply "the war". (Remember these were the days prior to television).

Yes, the "blitz" (blitzkeig -lighting war) into Poland in 1939 foretold what was about to transpire as WWII gained momentum in Europe.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am

cribbs74 wrote:Don't be concerned over the lack of replies, sometimes good posts can stand by themselves.

Not trying to kick the hornets nest or take a side on this thread, but that is a very good quote Ron. Worthy of a signature status.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:59 am

i'm with you on this, dave.
last topic i posted yesterday got 25 views but no replies.
don't know if its lack of interest or if there's a forum conspiracy against my posts for some reason Shocked
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:59 am

SuperDave wrote:

"Toujours au danger"- always in danger. Suits me well don't you think? Very Happy

Yes, I borrowed it from Jimmy Doolittle's 17th Bomber Squadron. I was a young kid during WWII and went to the movies every Saturday to catch "Movietone News" which was heavy into coverage of what we then called simply "the war". (Remember these were the days prior to television).

Yes, the "blitz" (blitzkeig -lighting war) into Poland in 1939 foretold what was about to transpire as WWII gained momentum in Europe.

As a baby I was on the receiving end of the Blitz, my family lived very close to Birmingham which in parts was bombed flat during the war (Lots of fat armaments factory targets!) I can remember clearly as a child being taken into the city and seeing the bombed areas and the signs reading "Danger, unexploded bomb" my generation grew up knowing the evils of war only too well, but we also always knew that sometimes there is no alternative, evil has to be stopped. If my country had not fought on alone during the war, we could easily be writing this in German, if we were allowed to write it at all!

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:01 pm

GermanBeez wrote:i'm with you on this, dave.
don't know if its lack of interest or if there's a forum conspiracy against my posts for some reason Shocked

It happens to me too, I try not to take it personal. I have noticed a decline in Cox related discussions lately. Perhaps folks are busy. We have a ton of folks on right now yet no replies
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

As a baby I was on the receiving end of the Blitz, my family lived very close to Birmingham which in parts was bombed flat during the war (Lots of fat armaments factory targets!) I can remember clearly as a child being taken into the city and seeing the bombed areas and the signs reading "Danger, unexploded bomb" my generation grew up knowing the evils of war only too well, but we also always knew that sometimes there is no alternative, evil has to be stopped. If my country had not fought on alone during the war, we could easily be writing this in German, if we were allowed to write it at all!

Wilf

Goodnight Wilf,

What a horrible way to experience the world at such a young age. Even if Nazi Germany was to have succeded initially I think it would have been done away with eventually.

For the record I do not equate Germany then with Germany today.

Being active military I do see war as necessary like you Wilf. At least conventional warfare anyway. It still makes me ill though and I don't like it even if it is required.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:39 pm

When was freedom ever "free" and who will pay the price of mainaining it?

This is a famous WWI recruiting poster by James Flagg Montgomery. Look at the picture and just TRY to escape Uncle Sam's gaze as you move about the room.

BTW, I am a proud veteran of six years in the US Army Reserve.
Dedicated to our newer members Draft_lens18367487module152600864photo_1314018852Unclesamwantyou
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Dedicated to our newer members Kitche10

The original, 1914
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:10 pm

cribbs74 wrote:
GermanBeez wrote:i'm with you on this, dave.

It happens to me too, I try not to take it personal. I have noticed a decline in Cox related discussions lately. Perhaps folks are busy. We have a ton of folks on right now yet no replies

It happens to all of us! I have posted and had not a single reply, but equally I have managed to start some very interesting threads on here. We have members who's interests and fields of expertise are many and varied. I think that there are times when Cox-related topics are in short supply, after all there is a limited range of Cox engines, and once a member has found out what he/she wishes to know about their own engines, Cox history, etc. I think it's much better to keep the interest in the Forum going with non-Cox items and discussions than to have members get bored and leave.
This is one of the most active forums I belong to (and I belong to lots of them!) some of them are lucky if they get one new post a month!
I, for one, have a vast range of interests, the whole field of model aircraft being only a tiny part of them, my interests have at times helped to keep me sane, hence my often way-off-topic posts, but if folks want to discuss cars, motorbikes, snowboarding, or anything else here, good luck to them, and I'll happily join in (Well, perhaps not on snowboarding, but most other things!) Cox postings still get loads of support and it keeps the forum active and alive!

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:54 am

Good Grief Wilf
You mean there's more to life than infernal combustion, beer and girls?

lol!
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:11 am

John Goddard wrote:Good Grief Wilf

lol!

So it is rumoured!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:21 am

lol!

Absolutely, don't forget about hunting!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:24 am

lol!

Unfortunately........... Sometimes I wish I could mess around with engines all day! Well, maybe more than sometimes. Oh who am I kidding...... Yeah, all the time! cheers

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:59 am

fit90 wrote:

lol!

Absolutely, don't forget about hunting!

I thought that was covered by the third item! lol!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:35 am

"Hunting" what I ask?

Seems were doing a good job of "hunting" our own kind if you read the newspapers. Dedicated to our newer members 3929217648
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:39 am

SuperDave wrote:"Hunting" what I ask?

Seems were doing a good job of "hunting" our own kind if you read the newspapers. Dedicated to our newer members 3929217648

I think Wilf was implying hunting the "ladies"

Yes, Dave I agree we do read a lot about that in the papers. Which is why I only get the Sunday one and never watch the news. Too depressing.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:55 am

Ron:

What going on in the streets of America is not all that different than in A'stan with the Taliban.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next