Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Gifted Fox Cox_ba12

Gifted Fox Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» So Cool If you haven't seen it
by getback Today at 5:25 pm

» Stick built rubber powered Scientific ME-109
by rsv1cox Today at 5:05 pm

» Ode to a dead cat
by rdw777 Today at 3:28 pm

» COX .020 RC PROJECT
by rdw777 Today at 3:21 pm

» Peewee power
by rdw777 Today at 3:04 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:53 am

» some pics....
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:16 am

» Thrust Washer
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» Needle-Valve extensions (yellow) for Killer Bee
by EXModelEngines Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by balogh Yesterday at 1:40 pm

» cox tee dee 010 pulling a Roaring 20 I have reconstructed after the previous one was lost
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:08 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Gifted Fox Empty
Live on Patrol

Gifted Fox

Go down

Gifted Fox Empty Gifted Fox

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:25 am

Went out to a meeting last night to be greeted by a friend holding this box.
Gifted Fox Img_2098

He hands it over and says "You might as well have this".  His father-in-law is getting too old to deal with I.C. engines and has switched over to electrics.  Says he could never get the thing to run properly.  One of those strange twin needle Fox carbs.  First thing I noticed was the carb is on backwards.  Not sure if that's an issue
Gifted Fox Img_2099

Looks like it's had some work done.  New bronze big-end bush fitted by the wording on the box.
Gifted Fox Img_2101
Gifted Fox Img_2100
Gifted Fox Img_2103
Gifted Fox Img_2104
Gifted Fox Img_2102
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Gifted Fox Empty Re: Gifted Fox

Post  getback Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:26 am

Nice ! Hope you can get it straightened out without to much problem $$$ Very Happy What you going to do with that big old 60 ? Huh...
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:49 pm

Way too big for me Eric, but it should be fun getting the old bird running.  My only experience running a 60 is my Enya which scared the living daylights out of me.  I thought it was gong to tear itself out of my test stand.  Oh, and my FS60 4 stroke.  That wasn't near as scary.
I must say, this is one of the more attractive Fox engines I have.  The eagle on the backplate is a nice touch.  Hopefully I can get old Duke's carb sorted out and get her singing.  Thumbs Up
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:33 pm

I don't know if this helps, but there was a very interesting but lengthy discussions in one of the other forums some time back.  Seems a relative nube was having trouble with his Fox engine with older pre-MKX carb. The experienced "old-timer" explained to him how to adjust. He started off with the low speed circuit, then adjusted the high speed, opposite what one does with other R/C carbs.

Had it properly adjusted, nube had a couple successful flights after.

Come next week, nube couldn't leave his hands off the adjustments, carb adjustments were way off. Other club members contributed with,"If you bought an OS, you wouldn't have this problem."

The old-timer re-adjusted the carb again, the Fox was ticking over as it should. The nube had another couple successful flights.

Old-timer was gone a couple weeks. When he returned, the nube now had an OS engine in place of the Fox.

I've learned, if an engine once adjusted properly runs fine, there's no need to dink with it, just tweak.

I've also learned that some modellers:
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:57 am

I've always found the Fox .60's to be very reliable and easy to use. I have several of them from the 1st to the last. The muffler was a option for this engine and it's good to see you have it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:13 am

Hey Ken.  I expected you to chime in and I appreciate your thoughts.  I was part way through typing a reply when I heard your reply pop up.  Here's what I was saying----

I can't see myself ever having a .60 sized plane, but if I did it would be getting my Enya 60.  The Fox will probably eventually go in a dispersal sale when I finally accept that my wife has been right all along.  (or I fall off the perch   Laughing  )  

It is a nice shiny engine and I do like the cast-in images and wording- Most unusual for Duke because all my other Fox engines don't even have Fox written on them, let alone a couple of nice pretty pictures.  The finish is far better than what I've been used to from Fox.

I would really like to get it running though, and prove myself for figuring out the twin needle carb.  My other "big" Fox is the 40 rc, which Ken has also commented was a decent engine.  I didn't have too much drama getting that one to run nice with the similar configuration carb.  When I get a chance, I'll correct the carb's orientation and give it a swing.  Got nothing to lose but a finger or two.  
lol!

Ken, while I have your attention, what % fuel do you recommend.  It will be my home-brew (Meth, Castor & Nitro) or doctored buggy fuel (about all I can buy around here).

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:12 am

The Eagle .60 was offered around 1972-74. The tumble polished finish was available starting from the .049. I also like the finish and I also like the black oxide finish used on the washers, nuts, screw. It's quite durable and has a nice appearance to it. I was never one to like zinc plated parts and the later stuff that used it always appears cheap to me. I also like the style of muffler that was used on these 70's Fox's. Some used roll pins and they fall out, I prefer to pop rivet them so that the end cap doesn't vibrate out and you lose it.

As far as fuel is concerned, I prefer to keep the oil content at a minimum of 22%. The Eagle .60 is a ringed engine and too much castor fouls stuff up. I prefer 50/50 synthetic castor mix. Fox instructions suggest Missile Mist which is 25% nitro. I would probably not run so much nitro and try it with 10-15% nitro. On a side note, your .40 was also a offering from this same time frame.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:26 pm

Ken. Will it matter which way the carb mounts on this engine? I always assume that the carb fuel inlet will be on the opposite side to the exhaust. I did try it the other way around but the carb mounting screws interfere with the linkages as they protrude a few millimetres. Shorter screws which sit flush on the top side of the mounting pad should solve that, but in my dismantling I discovered the one of the carb mount screw holes is stripped. I'll need to probably enlarge the holes slightly and re-tap them. I guess the other option would be to use a nut. I'm not sure whether the carb mount screws are original because they are plated bright and all the other screws on the engine are blackened.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:15 am

Rod, I sadly haven't played around with enough r/c configurations to really know the answer. I have many r/c engines and when I do bring them out for bench running, I have a club member who always assists. Sadly, he has Parkinson's and currently he's in bad shape. I really enjoy his help because he's been able to retain all that knowledge of different engines over the years which is actually quite amazing.

I will have to find a specific link I saved which is in regards to this particular carb. I believe this similar carb was available on most Fox engines.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:24 pm

http://www.flitelinesolutions.com/carbs.html
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster