Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Betty Skelton
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:20 pm

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:46 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by Ken Cook Today at 5:03 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Today at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Today at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Today at 10:30 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by roddie Today at 10:02 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Today at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Today at 7:46 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 7:19 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Empty Re: Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:49 pm

Just a question as to why you mounted the cylinder inboard rather than outboard. This may cause a couple of issues. Firstly, it makes the fuel line fairly long, and secondly, castor oil will end up all over the plane rather than just the outboard wing. Just a thought.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Empty Re: Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:26 pm

He did it to place the needle valve upright so it is accesible mounted as a sidewinder. Those engines, spray bar is a press fit and angled so it cannot be reversed.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:50 am

Working on the engine mount for the second plane. I made up a simple tool to hold it till the epoxy hardened.Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Ringma18
Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Ringma17
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Michpatriot Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:56 pm

How does the C\G look so far? On my baby the engine is close to the leading edge of the wing, couldn't get the CG with 1\4oz wedge tank behind the beam mounted TeeDee. After I figured this out I ended up with a bladder tank and the engine set back further than the print showed from Brodak...like no room for a tank on the side of the fuselage at all.
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Michpatriot Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:22 pm

Also the engine mounted in that fashion inboard arguably is superior due to the fuel in the bypass causing stutter on engines mounted the other more accepted outboard way..you just may have a stellar running engine mounted that way!
Your gonna be a trend starter!! The bypass channels facing the other way on your model will be less likely to have fuel affected by centrifugal force causing rich stutter from fuel getting slung up the bypass during stunts..
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:47 pm

Michpatriot wrote:How does the C\G look so far? On my baby the engine is close to the leading edge of the wing, couldn't get the CG with 1\4oz wedge tank behind the beam mounted TeeDee. After I figured this out I ended up with a bladder tank and the engine set back further than the print showed from Brodak...like no room for a tank on the side of the fuselage at all.  
We will see. I have four other Babys with built up wings, some with the same nose length. They balanced okay. These two are my first slab wing models.
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:46 am

Your Baby looks really good , but i would suggest a pushrod guide to keep the wire from flexing . I had a bad issue with a plane that would not fly right only because of this . Just saying . This can bee done easily with a paper clip cut to make a horseshoe and pushed into the balsa with CA dab.
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:39 pm

I think im ready for paint. only thing missing is one control horn.Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Ringma24
Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Ringma23
Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Ringma22
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:16 pm

Good work Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:57 pm

Free answer for what it is worth:
License plates in Mississippi are made of light gauge aluminum. Last year's license plates become control horns for the next five years. Note the offset in the hand drawn images. One shows the pushrod hole right under where folds would put the pushrod just under the hinge line. The others would move the pushrod hole away from the hinge line. Make the templates in cardboard first, and test fit on control surfaces. Then use a tongue depressor to wrap/fold the aluminum as required. That prevents using/crushing the elevator.

The very frugal, penny-killing Jim

Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Img_2128
Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Img_2127
Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Img_2126

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:34 pm

That is using the noggin', Jim, very creative and resourceful. Bob @rsv1cox is reusing an aluminum freeze plug for an OS Graupner .30 Wankel engine mount.

I did similarly, using universal plumbing pipe hanger strap stripped down to a third its width for an Enya .15-III TV muffler strap.

Used a section of leftover synthetic decking as a standoff for a motorcycle trailer license plate bracket light. On wife's Dodge Journey, they used a really cheap stamped sheet metal +12V battery clamp.
Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 2022-016

Rather than bother with a dealer special order item and wait, I bought a universal battery clamp for $6.00 (yes, I know, everything is expensive now Doh! )
Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 2022-015

I'd say that repurposing the license plate aluminum was almost criminal. Very Happy lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:45 pm

PS...I'm digging the firewall jig, ChevyIron!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:25 pm

Michpatriot wrote:How does the C\G look so far? On my baby the engine is close to the leading edge of the wing, couldn't get the CG with 1\4oz wedge tank behind the beam mounted TeeDee. After I figured this out I ended up with a bladder tank and the engine set back further than the print showed from Brodak...like no room for a tank on the side of the fuselage at all.  
This should have clued me to check the nose length again, but im a little slow right now. I dont know how I did it, but after measuring over and over I still made it a half inch to long. I dont know what im gonna do with it yet
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:04 pm

Fly it and see how it goes, If its too nose heavy you can always add some weight to the tail, but it may fly very well as it is. I would fly it and find out before making any structural changes and adding weight to the tail is not so hard.

GaryB
'Yabby'
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:34 am

Is the beam mount the one to long ? If so you will need to cut it back if not alot of weight will bee needed and change the whole way it will fly not in a good way .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Michpatriot Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:29 am

chevyiron420 wrote:
  This should have clued me to check the nose length again, but im a little slow right now. I dont know how I did it, but after measuring over and over I still made it a half inch to long. I dont know what im gonna do with it yet

I had mine all doped and sweet..then had to chop the nose move the engine holes re-do the thrust..so your still ahead. Both are looking real nice!! Im thinking of buIlding another BabyRingmaster, the next one will be from Willie Nillies..and I'm going to use a radial mount. I'm thinking of using my new Cox with the C\G stamp mount for it..

P.S. Its great seeing other folks builds!
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:28 pm

[quote="getback"]Is the beam mount the one to long ? If so you will need to cut it back if not alot of weight will bee needed and change the whole way it will fly not in a good way . [/quote
Yep, unfortunately its the beam mounted one.
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Michpatriot Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:15 am

Hey how are the Ring masters doin? Springs a comin..
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:11 am

Michpatriot wrote:Hey how are the Ring masters doin? Springs a comin..
I have cut the nose back 1/2 inch but am having a hard time drilling the bolt holes. Wen-mac or testors are the worst for mounting.
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Empty Naccelleplasty

Post  Michpatriot Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:27 pm

Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 16765710

Lil nosalplastyecktemy...C/G fine tuning.
Hope yours is going well..
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:00 pm

Really nice going, @Michpatriot, adapting Carl Goldberg's break away rubber band engine mount he used on his Half-A Wizard trainer, a welcomed upgrade for the Beginner Ringmaster. Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Michpatriot Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:22 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Really nice going, @Michpatriot, adapting Carl Goldberg's break away rubber band engine mount he used on his Half-A Wizard trainer, a welcomed upgrade for the Beginner Ringmaster. Thumbs Up

Well I was just posting my C\G woes to cheer up this thread where the Ringmaster needed a nose rework..this IS a Brodak version of the Wizard..I just moved the Carl Goldberg mount back more than 1-1\2" from Brodaks print that showed a Black Widow mounted..
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:10 pm

You did good, so the aircraft can stunt better.
Michpatriot wrote:Lil nosalplastyecktemy...C/G fine tuning.
Or, we could call it Ignis Murum Rhinoplasty (Latin for firewall, rest for fun). Very Happy lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:01 am

Well, the nose job is done. It aint perfect, but its better than it was by a long shot.Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Ringma25
Help needed with beginner baby ringmaster - Page 2 Ringma26
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:20 am

Looks Good from here lol I see where you had some issues with the 2 way mount on the Wen Mac good decision to just put a hole so the back mount can stick through want hurt a thing . I had suggested to put a push rod guide on it to keep from flexing , may bee something to think about and its not hard to do with a piece of wire even a small screw in eyelet . Looking forward to some color ! sunny Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next