Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps Cox_ba12

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 7:20 am

» The Cabin.........A carpenters nightmare.
by rsv1cox Today at 6:54 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (September 2024)
by balogh Today at 6:50 am

» Betty Skelton
by roddie Today at 5:24 am

» Consolidated half-A C/L Sonic Star
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:46 pm

» New Model Build
by rdw777 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» The box, "Dad's Christmas Bells", and a Cox and Cabin connection
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:52 am

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 10:30 am

» THE MOST ULTIMATE TD .049 POWERED COMBAT PLANE OF ALL TIME...!!!
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 9:25 am

» 1940's?...............
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 am

» Lesson learned
by TD ABUSER Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:22 pm

» Billy's Scientific "Sizzlin Liz" Mustang
by GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps Empty
Live on Patrol

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps

Go down

Wanted Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps

Post  Admin Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:12 am

Non-Cox related but thought I would ask.  Paranoid

Anyone happen to have an old preheat fluorescent ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 tubes? Preheat ballast that uses starters. For 120 volts of course.

A couple of days ago, I walked into the back door of the garage after cutting a few pieces of wood with a circular saw and I got a whiff of a burning smell. I thought it could be anything, could be something a neighbor is doing, could've been because I was cutting wood... I walked back in several minutes later and the burning smell was stronger, I knew something was wrong in the garage, but I couldn't quite trace where in the garage it was coming from. Had that mix of smoldering wood and burning plastic smell. Nothing but a small refrigerator and my stereo setup was currently on, aside from the extension cord for the saw. All was still working and the smell was not strong near them. I pulled the chain on one of the fluorescent lights and... nothing! Shocked Pulled it again and saw one of the tubes flicker a bit. I got up on a ladder and unplugged the light from the receptacle on the ceiling and plugged it into an extension cord...nothing. Yeah, it's the light... I probably had the light on earlier and it went out.

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps Img_2312
PCB laden tar leaking from the ballast.

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps Img_2313

Right now, I have a 40 year old rapid start ballast pulled from one of the fluorescent lights that were removed from the kitchen over 20 years ago. It's working fine, but we'll see how it acts when the temperatures get down near freezing. A newer T12 4 ft fixture is hung over the workbench takes quite some time before it gets up to full brightness and quits flickering when the temps are below ~40-50 degrees. This old fixture always started with no flicker and pretty decent brightness with temps below 0°F.

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps Img_2310

Yes, I could always put an electronic ballast in it and convert it to T8 lamps or LED, but I'd like to keep this fixture as original as possible. My grandpa got it many many years ago from when they were replacing fixtures at the railroad where he worked.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Wanted I dunno, but I'll look

Post  happydad Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:25 am

I think I converted to the new ones, but I tend to keep stuff around. I'll check and get back tomorrow. the boss is sleeping and she don't like noise at night. her birthday is Tuesday and I have to be nice. she gets real tense around birthdays.

happydad
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Wanted Re: Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps

Post  smooth_bill Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Jake,

My son-in-law just replaced all his garage lights with LED strips and man what a difference! Super bright and at a savings in current consumption! I'll check with him to see if he has any old ballasts.

Happy Dad,

First, happy birthday to Mrs Happy Dad! She must be a supportive and loving wife or you would not be so happy!

The LED garage lights are amazingly bright and last a life time according to the Chinese maker. I've already thrown away one LED bulb less than a year old, with a suggested 20 year life span, so I will take the Chinese maker's words with a grain of salt!

If the Chinese are our friend, I sure don't want to see our enemy!

Bill

smooth_bill
smooth_bill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Wanted Not LED. Talk about off subject

Post  happydad Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:54 pm

smooth_bill wrote:Jake,

My son-in-law just replaced all his garage lights with LED strips and man what a difference! Super bright and at a savings in current consumption! I'll check with him to see if he has any old ballasts.

Happy Dad,

First, happy birthday to Mrs Happy Dad! She must be a supportive and loving wife or you would not be so happy!

The LED garage lights are amazingly bright and last a life time according to the Chinese maker. I've already thrown away one LED bulb less than a year old, with a suggested 20 year life span, so I will take the Chinese maker's  words with a grain of salt!

If the Chinese are our friend, I sure don't want to see our enemy!

Bill

Not the LED bulbs for the garage. The smaller ones admin was talking about. The 40watt jobs smaller in diameter, but just as bright.

Still working on the backyard project. Never can seem to please her. We are the same age.

Less happydad until I finish the brick steps I put in 15 years ago. Ants and gophers have made a mess of it and just finished repairing the gopher holes and flattening the holes. I went to get the polymer to put between the bricks, $27.00 for smallest size, 1 gallon bucket, I need maybe 12ounces. Then waited for 1/2 hour for someone to load an 8foot railroad tie onto my truck bed, $22.00. I will spray the whole area with weed killer, the one on TV that causes cancer of course, then after it dries pour the polymer into the cracks and work it into them until they are full, then spray with a misty water. In theory the polymers expand and fill the voids and no ants, bugs or weeds can get thru ever again. So say the salesmen.

Happydad will be happier if that happens. RC Plane     United States   Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Wanted T-12 Electronic Ballasts are Available

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:49 pm

Admin wrote:Right now, I have a 40 year old rapid start ballast pulled from one of the fluorescent lights that were removed from the kitchen over 20 years ago. It's working fine, but we'll see how it acts when the temperatures get down near freezing. A newer T12 4 ft fixture is hung over the workbench takes quite some time before it gets up to full brightness and quits flickering when the temps are below ~40-50 degrees. This old fixture always started with no flicker and pretty decent brightness with temps below 0°F.

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps Img_2310

Yes, I could always put an electronic ballast in it and convert it to T8 lamps or LED, but I'd like to keep this fixture as original as possible. My grandpa got it many many years ago from when they were replacing fixtures at the railroad where he worked.

The fluorescent ballasts are rated for minimum temperature at which they will be able to light off a set of bulbs. I installed a set of residential quality (big mistake) fixtures in another garage I had 25 years ago. At higher elevation, we got really freezing winters. It would struggle to light off during colder temperatures below freezing.

I really don't know where you can get a legacy transformer ballast, they are now basically NOS stock. Much of the problem has to do with using old oil filled capacitors that go bad with time. The stability of the materials used age and degrade. Some of those will leak PCB oil when they go bad, requiring care in handling because PCB is a known carcinogen. So, even if it is NOS, there's a possibility that the ballast may already be bad or will got out shortly after you start using it.

You'll probably have to go to a modern T-12 electronic ballast. For example,

Amazon: Universal Lighting Technologies B234SR120M-A000I Electronic Ballast, Fluorescent, T12, 2-Lamp, 120V, Black

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps 71rkxi10

Cost, $16.00; minimum starting temperature 50 deg. F, which is not what you are looking for in a garage. (Rated for indoor heated space use or southern Florida only.)

This next one I believe is the one you are looking for:

Robertson 3P20132 Fluorescent eBallast for 2 F40T12 Linear Lamps, Preheat- Rapid Start, 120Vac, 50-60Hz

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps 71v32e10

Cost, $13.45, minimum starting temperature is 0 deg. F.

I know this is not the historically correct ballast, but once the fixture ballast cover is in place, will be out of sight with fixture assembled, will still provide the historic appearance desired.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:40 am

Here's a T-12 ballast for two 40-Watt bulbs rated down to 0 deg. F starting temperatures that is even cheaper, $10.95:

Amazon: Keystone Two lamp T12 Rapid Start Electronic Ballast KTEB-240-1

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps 51g5k910

The ballasts I've been showing are for the standard 2 pin per side T-12 four foot long 40-Watt bulbs. I could not tell from the first photo, Jason, if your fixture uses these types or the odder single pin (rectangular end or larger single pin) bulbs.

I've used Keystone and Robertson ballasts before, they seem to be good commercial quality.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:19 pm

Those look like good ballasts George. If the one I have in the light now fails or doesn't behave how I'd like this winter, I may have to look into one of those. That is if I don't find an old fashioned preheat ballast first.

This is what I have in it now:

Preheat ballast for two (2) 40 watt T12 lamps Img_2314

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Wanted sorry

Post  happydad Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:44 pm

Admin wrote:Those look like good ballasts George. If the one I have in the light now fails or doesn't behave how I'd like this winter, I may have to look into one of those. That is if I don't find an old fashioned preheat ballast first.

This is what I have in it now:

Sorry, Jacob wifes b'day comes first. I looked at the bulbs, 40 watt cool white, but i have to disassemble my tool bench to take the lights down. couldn't find the old fixtures so they must be gone. 1 or 2 of the old ones left. tomorrow for sure??

happydad RC Plane    United States    Old Bugger
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:14 am

Admin wrote:Those look like good ballasts George. If the one I have in the light now fails or doesn't behave how I'd like this winter, I may have to look into one of those. That is if I don't find an old fashioned preheat ballast first. This is what I have in it now:

You're welcome, Jacob. Yes, I've had Advance magnetic ballasts similar to the one you have. In fact, you could buy those up until may be 15 years ago, Lowes and Ace Hardware had them in stock. My residential garage has 8 foot tube fixtures, replace those older style magnetic ballasts several times (think they blew or weakened by lightning strikes, until electric company improved the substation and infrastructure. At one point also blew out the ceiling fan capacitor, replaced with new then blew again. Also had to have the furnace serviced, blew out the controller circuit board). Last is modern electronic, going on 7 years now without problems.

The modern electronic ballasts are an improvement. No longer are heaters required, they fire the bulbs instantly. Operate bulbs at 400 Hertz, eliminating 60 Hz. flicker, easier on the brain.

The older technology was the best available when they came out. Little improvement was made for a long time until the electronics.

Since T-8 bulbs have the same pins, I upgraded our kitchen T-12 fixture to T-8 ballast and LED replacement bulbs. The LED's don't have a warm up period. (Fluorescent bulbs OTOH come on slightly dim, they warm up to full light intensity after a couple minutes.) I printed a label from my label printer and attached it to the fixture, stating, "USE T-8 BULBS ONLY".

It was my project 17 years ago at one of the military bases where we did about a million dollars worth of work in multiple buildings, upgrading lighting and in a few upgrading their mechanical environmental equipment, including hangars. Contractor replaced T-12 ballasts with T-8, retrofitted fixtures with custom reflectors changing 4 bulb fixtures to 2. The T-8 with mirrored reflector put out the same amount of light as 4 T-12 bulbs.

Then several years later, I'd walk into a building, wondering what happened to the quality of the lighting. Found the facility manager airman for his building had replaced the worn out T-8 bulbs with T-12's from base supply. The T-8 ballasts put out a different voltage level. T-12's will fire, but they glow at reduced brilliance.

Murphy's Law applies to military bases. Doh!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down