Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Exact Threads of screw in glow plug igniters - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Exact Threads of screw in glow plug igniters - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Just found this
by batjac Today at 10:39 pm

» I Got Cheated!
by batjac Today at 10:35 pm

» WEN-MAC STORY
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:09 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Today at 8:41 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Today at 6:21 pm

» PSA propellors!!!
by roddie Today at 5:49 pm

» Wen Mac Aeromite/Challenger
by getback Today at 5:39 pm

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by rdw777 Today at 12:05 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:46 am

» COX FUEL ?????
by 1975 control line guy Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:29 am

» The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp
by getback Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:19 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:52 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Exact Threads of screw in glow plug igniters - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Exact Threads of screw in glow plug igniters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Exact Threads of screw in glow plug igniters - Page 2 Empty Re: Exact Threads of screw in glow plug igniters

Post  aspeed Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:11 pm

fredvon4 wrote:or 12 buck Galbreath Nelson heads and 5 buck Nelson plugs....still for sale

I know some purists are stuck on TURBO....but cost of tooling must be considered IMO
I picked up a few dozen turbo and Nelson style plugs from Al, Merlin brand. I like Merlins because the glow clips attach better to them than the real Nelsons. I have since got a tap for the Nelson style because of the price of plugs. Those gold OS turbo plugs are probably $20 here, so cost is a factor. I like the turbos because they are 1mm smaller diameter and I believe the combustion chamber shape is better on the .049s. The .15s likely don't matter.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Exact Threads of screw in glow plug igniters - Page 2 Empty Re: Exact Threads of screw in glow plug igniters

Post  ffkiwi Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:46 am

Iceberg wrote:Hi aspeed
Trying to find all options.

Still looking for the 1/4-32 UNEF tap difficult little turkey to locate here.

Thanks a lot
Ice

You really aren't trying very hard are you? A simple search on Ebay under '1/4-32 UNEF tap' pulls up 65 entries-and the very first listing offers you a tap and die for US $7.50...a bargain!

See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-HSS-Machine-1-4-32-UNEF-Plug-Tap-and-1pc-1-4-32-UNEF-Die-Threading-Tool/122602906406?hash=item1c8bb3e326:g:FngAAOSwFBRZbH83

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:25 am

Yes saw those but we'll take some days. Happily located one 200 miles from here with a buddy. Overnighting it as I write this.
Thanks
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:40 am

Chris ...Ice is trying to locally source one...he is in Thailand
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:33 am

Thanks Fred
How are you doing my friend?
Feeling better now? Sure hope so!
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:28 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Chris ...Ice is trying to locally source one...he is in Thailand

Fred-I was aware of that.it is a relatively obscure thread he is looking for-that was the point I was making-you DON'T necessarily expect to be able to find it locally....I wouldn't expect to wander into a tool supplier here in NZ and buy one either.....   sometimes you have to face reality-I buy screws from the UK, from the US-from Australia....and occasionally even from the shop down the road (usually metric or the rare small BSW sizes -1/8", 5/32 and 3/16"....)-everything else I have to track down and source elsewhere-the same often applies to tooling.  

Unless you're in the UK, the US or Europe-that is the reality for most modellers....I've been ordering model stuff from overseas since I was still in short pants...I think nothing of it-it is the way of the world. Fifty years ago I could probably have gone into the local hardware store and bought BA nuts and bolts-probably the taps and dies as well-but time move on....and more to the point-so does the metric system.....NZ went metric in 1976, Britain in 1965, Australia over a prolonged period from 1970 to 1988-that meant superseding a lot of the earlier thread systems.....and the rapid drop off of demand for-and stocks of-the older imperial and US thread systems.....so if you are into British or US classic cars or motorbikes, model engines....or whatever pieces of older technology light your particular fire....you will have to get used to sourcing your bits and pieces from an increasingly distant-and increasingly reducing-set of suppliers.

The US is the only market still largely using the Unified thread system-so apart from dealers in US cars and or machinery in whatever part of the world you happen to live in-there are not going to be a lot of local sources for US nuts and bolts.....and even fewer for the sorts of sizes we use in models and model engines....and if there is little demand for the basic screws bolts and nut-you can guarantee there is even LESS demand for the taps and dies needed to make and repair them.

Current covid related  delays in postal delivery excepted, under normal conditions mail order is pretty fast and reliable....I can under normal postal deliver conditions reliably place an internet order with modelfixings in the UK, and have the items in my hand a week later.   If I went-say to Trade Tools here (I use them as an example as they are a major NZ supplier of engineering tool items) and asked for a 1/4-32 UNEF tap, they'd probably look it up on their computer, shake their head and say-"sorry Sir it's not a regular line...we'll have to indent it for you....it'll be at least 3 weeks-probably more under current conditions.."  And if I took them up on the offer-it probably WOULD be 3 weeks or more-it would come from one of their regular suppliers, would be top engineering quality for production usage-....and cost a small fortune.

The alternative is 5 mins work on the computer....I imagine Thailand is not a lot different-other than probably being even more metric dominated when it come to tools, machinery and equipment...

ChrisM
  'ffkiwi'

Last edited by ffkiwi on Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:30 pm

Pretty much sums it all up.

I'll have the correct tap in a few hours now.
Thanks Chris
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2