Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Did any one try to use COX engine to generate electricity Cox_ba12

Did any one try to use COX engine to generate electricity Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Just found this
by batjac Today at 10:39 pm

» I Got Cheated!
by batjac Today at 10:35 pm

» WEN-MAC STORY
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:09 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -October 2024-
by Admin Today at 8:41 pm

» The Beaver chainsaw, Cox's most interesting product
by rsv1cox Today at 6:21 pm

» PSA propellors!!!
by roddie Today at 5:49 pm

» Wen Mac Aeromite/Challenger
by getback Today at 5:39 pm

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by rdw777 Today at 12:05 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:46 am

» COX FUEL ?????
by 1975 control line guy Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:29 am

» The Resurrection of the Atwood Wasp
by getback Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:19 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:52 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2024
F4D Phantom II's

"Surestart .049 geared opposed twin"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Did any one try to use COX engine to generate electricity Empty
Live on Patrol

Did any one try to use COX engine to generate electricity

Go down

Did any one try to use COX engine to generate electricity Empty Did any one try to use COX engine to generate electricity

Post  YiCO Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:50 pm

I am trying to connect a COX engine to an alternator to generate power. Has any one ever done it before? If yes, I'd like to learn your experience. Thanks.
YiCO
YiCO
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Did any one try to use COX engine to generate electricity Empty Re: Did any one try to use COX engine to generate electricity

Post  dckrsn Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi YiCO, and welcome to the forum.
Up in the left there's a search feature.
I remember a thread that went on for
weeks regarding Cox powered generators.
Here it is:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7877-micro-12vdc-generator-with-a-cox-049-sure-start-diesel-engine
Again, welcome!
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Did any one try to use COX engine to generate electricity Empty Re: Did any one try to use COX engine to generate electricity

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:53 pm

dckrsn wrote:Hi YiCO, and welcome to the forum.
Here it is:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7877-micro-12vdc-generator-with-a-cox-049-sure-start-diesel-engine
Again, welcome!
Bob
Hi YICO. Welcome.
That thread did go on for a very long time, to the point of becoming really annoying. What most of us leant from this was that the concept, while really interesting, is not at all practical. Unfortunately the person from that thread thought they could make a practical version and they were unfortunately unwilling to listen to advice, creating friction among members.
Another of our members did manage to make something far simpler which did work but I'd have to track that down. If you have experience with running Cox engines then you're already ahead. Get the engine figured out first, then work on the alternator/generator side of things.
I don't want to throw cold water on your enthusiasm, but if you want advice then you need to listen to those who have experience. Having said that, we know nothing about you so a little bit of a background story about your cox enperience might put things into a little more perspective for us.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:13 pm

Thanks for fleshing that out a bit, Rod.
I remember being annoyed and addicted
to that thread. I even sent him some 5-40
rod for a coupling. Never had any faith in it.
Shrugging Bob.
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  YiCO Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Thanks for finding that post.

dckrsn wrote:Hi YiCO, and welcome to the forum.
Here it is:
Again, welcome!
Bob
YiCO
YiCO
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:22 pm

lol, oh boy...yep, i remember...
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:52 am

Because you have stated that you aren't experienced with Cox engines, here's my thoughts on the matter.

Before you begin to create the alternator, I would suggest that you familiarise yourself thoroughly with starting and running the Cox engine. While they are a wondeful little engine, they take some getting used to and can be a little fragile with rough handling. The other gentleman damaged his engine several times while trying to learn to start and run it. Having said that, he had converted the engine to diesel, which is a whole other story.

Before anything else, you will need the correct fuel and the correct starting battery. Regular model glow engine fuel will not be adequate. It will need to have at least 10% nitromethane (can be as high as 35%) and at least 20% oil content, half of which should be castor oil. You can get away with a lesser amount of caster oil, but more is better for reliability and preventing damage. Others may disagree.

The starting battery for the glow plug needs to be 1.5 volts only. Less and it will not glow, more and it will most likely burn out. Because you won't be using a propeller, you will need to fit a flywheel. Members here may be able to help you out with one.

It would be helpful for you to look at "Instruction Sheets" under "INFO" down the left margin of this page.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:02 am

Welcome to the Forum YiCo !! Good luck with the project can bee fun if you let it . I see there are still some intrest in the Coz engine Generator !?!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:02 am

why do you guys forget aubout my generator
Sad
i mean i did win that years generator race
(he never finished it btw)

robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:07 am

If it's a fun project, go for it. A practical device will take real engineering as there are many difficulties.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:09 pm

try wit cox gtp engine wit egr maple set up it can run slow for long time without flod of engine  is posible to use clutch to transfer power to alternator end egr valve to control speed wit sort of governor like lawn mower use on ther carb setup is very silensed wit egr les noise no oil evrywere try power a boat wit electro engine wit auxiliary batry for safe return water can cool engine down y have couple idea alredy mabe find way to use brushles engine combined to cox !!!!!!!lha ha insane power lol! mabe not lets find

Last edited by davidll1984 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corection)
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  YiCO Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:47 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Because you have stated that you aren't experienced with Cox engines, here's my thoughts on the matter.

Before you begin to create the alternator, I would suggest that you familiarise yourself thoroughly with starting and running the Cox engine.  While they are a wondeful little engine, they take some getting used to and can be a little fragile with rough handling.  The other gentleman damaged his engine several times while trying to learn to start and run it.  Having said that, he had converted the engine to diesel, which is a whole other story.

Before anything else, you will need the correct fuel and the correct starting battery.  Regular model glow engine fuel will not be adequate.  It will need to have at least 10% nitromethane (can be as high as 35%) and at least 20% oil content, half of which should be castor oil.  You can get away with a lesser amount of caster oil, but more is better for reliability and preventing damage.  Others may disagree.

The starting battery for the glow plug needs to be 1.5 volts only.  Less and it will not glow, more and it will most likely burn out.  Because you won't be using a propeller, you will need to fit a flywheel.  Members here may be able to help you out with one.

It would be helpful for you to look at "Instruction Sheets" under "INFO" down the left margin of this page.

Rod.

Thanks.
YiCO
YiCO
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:45 pm

robot797 wrote:why do you guys forget aubout my generator
Sad

I did remember!!  Just couldn't remember who Embarassed
oldenginerod wrote:Another of our members did manage to make something far simpler which did work but I'd have to track that down.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
Sad

I did remember!!  Just couldn't remember who Embarassed
oldenginerod wrote:Another of our members did manage to make something far simpler which did work but I'd have to track that down.

sorry I have misread it
glad I got remembered
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  YiCO Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:21 am

Sad

May I ask did you measure the output voltage and current?
YiCO
YiCO
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:25 am

pfff i did that once but I dont remember it
if you want I can look if i have a buck converter that way I can do a current test
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  YiCO Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:31 am

robot797 wrote:pfff i did that once but I dont remember it
if you want I can look if i have a buck converter that way I can do a current test
I am just curious. I don't want you to spend time to redo it.
YiCO
YiCO
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down